Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon

+3
Helen
carlottawannabe
THEFISH<3
7 posters

Go down

October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon Empty October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon

Post  THEFISH<3 Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Ramin, Gina, Simon 03/10/09

Well I was really looking forward to seeing the show today. Having not seen the show since September 08 it was nearly an entire new cast for me, the only principal I had seen previously was Ramin.
I had a seat in the Upper Circle and I was very impressed with the view, a good seat for a low price.

Ramin:
I have always liked Ramin as Phantom so was looking forward to seeing him again before he leaves. In the show today, Ramin was very “up and down” for me. I really liked certain parts of his acting, like holding Gina’s hand in the boat after MOTN, but there were certain parts of his singing which had me a little puzzled. In the title song, MOTN, and PONR parts of his singing just didn’t sound like him, it was as if he was mixing the songs and it was part “classic phantom singing” and part “Ramin’s rockier interpretation” it all sounded a little bizarre in places.
That aside, it was a brilliant AIAOYreprise and Final Lair.

Gina;
I was very curious to see Gina as Christine as I had heard many mixed reviews, but I loved her! I think she has such a beautiful voice, and her cadenzas were amazing!
I also liked her acting and thinks she works really well with Ramin and Simon.
I really liked when she was refusing to sing, and how she acted Twisted Every Way. Also that girl has one high pitched scream, it made me jump when she screamed during PONR. Gina is so emotional during Final Lair, and its so moving the way in which she gives the ring back.

Simon;
I went to the show in the mind-set that I probably wasn’t going to like Simon as Raoul, but he really did impress me. He has such a confidence in the role and works really well with the cast. Certain bits I picked up on which I liked were;
- In Note/Prima Donna, the way he sings “Madman” and “I must see these demands are rejected”. I also like when he and Meg compare the notes.
-I thought he was very good in AIAOY, and him and Gina are so convincing, they really do work great together.
- I like how when he is in the noose he really looks like he’s being strangled, and then afterwards when released he has to really lean on Gina for support. The guy really does look like he’s lost a lot of oxygen/
- and I have to mention the very memorable “GO TO HELL” during Final Lair.
- I had to giggle at how enthusiastic he can be, he looked rather amusing when he was clapping during Think of Me.

Rebecca;
I think Rebecca is AMAZING as Carlotta, and has really made the role her own. Rebecca really does capture the “opera diva” she is playing, and I love how she takes her gloves off in notes in an angry manner. Also she has a fantastic voice, amazing at belting out the notes!

Emma;
I didn’t like Emma as Meg at first as I thought her voice was quite nasal during AOM, but she started to grow on me as the show progressed.

Marc;
We had 2nd u/s Piangi. I was a bit gutted as I am yet to see Rohan in the role. Marc didn’t really make an impression, aside from the fact he’s a very small guy, but his voice wasn’t too bad.

Nicky;
I won’t say too much on Nicky as Madame Giry because I really did not like any part of her interpretation and her voice is very gruff so it’s not too easy on the ears.

Gareth:
I love Gareth as Andre, he’s hilarious and has great comic timing.

Barry:
I also wont say too much on Barry as Firmin as I didn’t like him in the role, he really bored me, and didn’t really do anything to make the role his own.

Additional Notes;
THE FISH WAS ON IN MASQUERADE!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all a great show! Really enjoyed myself after being away for so long.
THEFISH<3
THEFISH<3

Back to top Go down

October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon Empty Re: October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon

Post  carlottawannabe Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Great review hun! I totally agree with all that u said...i may not be a big ramin fan but he was great today. I too did like how he held Ginas hand in the boat at the end of MOTN..great touch
carlottawannabe
carlottawannabe

Back to top Go down

October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon Empty Re: October 3rd London, Ramin, Gina, Simon

Post  Helen Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:42 pm

THEFISH<3 wrote:
Rebecca;
I think Rebecca is AMAZING as Carlotta, and has really made the role her own. Rebecca really does capture the “opera diva” she is playing, and I love how she takes her gloves off in notes in an angry manner. Also she has a fantastic voice, amazing at belting out the notes!

She sounds fantastic, I can't wait to see her.

Nicky;
I won’t say too much on Nicky as Madame Giry because I really did not like any part of her interpretation and her voice is very gruff so it’s not too easy on the ears.

I'm looking forward to seeing someone new as Madame Giry, but that really doesn't sound too promising! Thanks for posting the review, must find time to see the new cast.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:58 am

Oooooh, nice review, thanks for posting. Sounds like a cast I'd love to see.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom Cat Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Rebecca; I think Rebecca is AMAZING as Carlotta, and has really made the role her own. Rebecca really does capture the “opera diva” she is playing, and I love how she takes her gloves off in notes in an angry manner. Also she has a fantastic voice, amazing at belting out the notes!

I do so agree... Rebecca is a fabulous Carlotta and has quickly made the part her own. I noticed how she slowly stripped off her gloves when I saw the show on 8 September... I liked how she nonchalantly dropped them while Piangi was standing behind her without bothering to turn round, fully expecting her besotted lover to catch them, which of course he did! She and Rohan are another great team.

Excellent review, thank you! Very Happy
Phantom Cat
Phantom Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Enjoyed reading your review Very Happy I really want to see Rebecca as Carlotta, have only heard good things about her so far.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lycanthrope Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for the review - nice to hear about the new London cast. Interesting to hear how much you liked Simon as Raoul - I surprised myself by liking his Raoul back in September, when I thought he was at times laughable in October 2008 in screaming too much. It almost makes me want to see Ramin again before the cast change - I do love the tenderness he brings to the part.

Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down