Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

+46
London-Phan
Bunvendor
justin1976
eriklefantome
vmkwinner
AlwaysChristine
Miss von Krolock
Klavirista
Devon
LadyCDaae
TheFinnishPhantom
Phinnish Phan
Maya
Cape Twirl of Doom
Phantomess
Mme Reyer
Vicomtesse de Chagny
ladygodiva
ML6
Mlle. Daae
ChorusGirl
Madame Giry
Scorp
Callie Daae
Rebecca
phantomphan1992
Becky
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Christine's Shadow
Stephanie
Raphael
Paula74
Phantomlove
Viscountess
MasqPhan
TGITPC
meglett
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
MlleMusique
littlelotty004
phantom10906
operafantomet
Admin
50 posters

Page 25 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 34  Next

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Devon Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 am

operafantomet wrote:The Meg Masquerade hat (for the sing-along video competition) is done!

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Megmask

It has a draped veil in front, two bows + a hanging veil in the back, plus various "gems" and a cameo. It can be fastened both with a hair comb and an elastic band. And it's super cute!

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS ANEA, I LOVE IT!!!!!
Devon
Devon

http://devonsdomain.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Madame Giry Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Anea, that Meg Masquerade hat looks great!

Agh, and that reminds me, I really need to do more work on my Giry Masquerade cape. It's just a question of finding the right appliques for the front. Not really happy with what I have found so far.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Madame Giry wrote:Anea, that Meg Masquerade hat looks great!

Agh, and that reminds me, I really need to do more work on my Giry Masquerade cape. It's just a question of finding the right appliques for the front. Not really happy with what I have found so far.
I didn't know (or maybe I've forgotten?) than you're making a Madame Giry Masquerade cape! Awesome. So many possibilities. As for appliqués, have you checked eBay? There are some goodies there which I'm very tempted to buy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NK17-7-Floral-Necklace-Sequin-Bead-Applique-Motif-Black-/390336092783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1d81a6f#ht_542wt_1083

http://cgi.ebay.com/0133-Venise-Venice-Lace-Beaded-Sequin-Applique-3-color-/380316057390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9757d79f47

http://cgi.ebay.com/0350-BLACK-IRIS-VENICE-LACE-SEQUIN-BEADED-APPLIQUES-7-/220782634393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3367aba599#ht_5823wt_1083
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Anea, it's a project I started sometime last year or so and I think I posted pics on whatever board our lot frequented at the time. I'm using the Vegas Giry cape as inspiration. Fortunately since talking to you I have located and even purchased some trims and things that should do the job, and I already had a couple pieces that will be going on the cape. The applique in your first link is awesome and I've seen it before but doesn't quite match the shape of my cape - plus I already have something for the back. It could be good for a Phantom cape replica, though!

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 pm

OK, I went back to see at Madame Giry's Masquerade cape, and I found it. And had forgotten just how fantastic it looked. Holy sweet Moses, it's gorgeous, I can't wait to see the finished result.

But even more I had forgotten about the immensely talented people frequenting this board. Seriously, there are so many fantastic replicas and costume work happening, browsing through this thread made me speechless. Forgive me for reposting photos without asking, but seriously... We have enough costumes for our own production! Going by usernames here:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_0210000021
Meglett

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_phantomslair009
TGITPC

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_raoultest_1
Madame Giry

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_giry_progress1_sm
Madame Giry

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_SANY1210
MasqPhan

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_IMAG1682
Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_carlottasmall
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_nefinish3
Operafantomet

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_fb
Artistkae

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_100_0458
MlleMusique and Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_IMAG1754
Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_appliques2
Madame Giry

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_tritonapril3
Operafantomet

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_reddeathstanding
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_christinemegfull
Loettchen and a friend

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_megmasquerade2
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_usvegasbrianne
Meglett... Oh wait, she IS the real deal... Laughing

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_Back
Viscountess

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_9masq4
ChorusGirl

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_threevegas
ChorusGirl, phantomfett and Phantomgirl110 (right?)

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_cdoverview3
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_CopyofIMAG1894
Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_loettchenwish
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_amintafullnew3
Hah, me again. With an Aminta dress from Copenhagen.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_84786cc6
Viscountess

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Img_0014
Rebecca

Sorry if I forgot anyone, I just browsed through the costume thread and took the ones I found there. I know there are a LOT more fantastic replicas out there, for example by Artistkae at http://artistkae.tumblr.com/, I just don't think they have been posted here. Still, wow. Imagine us all get together for a group photo!

I want to do a "Featured Phantom costume" over at the Anéa FB site now... Josefine and Gunilla's costumes, for examples, hardly exist pictures of online, and yet they are utterly fantastic. Michaela de Bruce has many on her costume site, but deserves a lot more attention. Artistkae has a wardrobe of another world. And look at the ones above! cheers

ETA. sorry, I screwed up on the thumbnails. You can't enlarge them. Only option now is to quote me, copy the direct link and remove the tn_ tag before the name of the picture. So instead of "th_amintafullnew3.jpg" it should be "amintafullnew3.jpg". that'll give you a full-size version. All photos are also posted in bigger versions previously in this thread.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Viscountess
All this time I thought I was so original to add a cameo in the back of the hat. But Viscountess had already done that, ages ago! Baaah. It looks very Victorian, though.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Anea,

Your first link back there would work awesome on the Phantom's cape on the back, up around the shoulders....

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Gach, you give me too much credit, Anea! Most of my costumes are put together from thrift store, vintage and ebay/internet finds. Everyone else on here sews their own costumes - most of which are ridiculously intricate and awesome and involve yards and yards of fabric and trims. The Giry cape is my first real shot at putting something together from scratch - and even then it's mostly finding the right trims!

I agree, lots of great talent on this board. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:10 am

operafantomet wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
Viscountess
All this time I thought I was so original to add a cameo in the back of the hat. But Viscountess had already done that, ages ago! Baaah. It looks very Victorian, though.
Aw Anea, you've just made my day a thousand times over. Very Happy Thank you!

The hat I made is going to need a bit over reinforcing though, the gems aren't too secure, etc. Yours looks AMAZING.
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:33 am

operafantomet wrote:OK, I went back to see at Madame Giry's Masquerade cape, and I found it. And had forgotten just how fantastic it looked. Holy sweet Moses, it's gorgeous, I can't wait to see the finished result.

But even more I had forgotten about the immensely talented people frequenting this board. Seriously, there are so many fantastic replicas and costume work happening, browsing through this thread made me speechless. Forgive me for reposting photos without asking, but seriously... We have enough costumes for our own production! Going by usernames here:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_0210000021
Meglett

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_phantomslair009
TGITPC

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_raoultest_1
Madame Giry

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_giry_progress1_sm
Madame Giry

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_SANY1210
MasqPhan

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_IMAG1682
Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_carlottasmall
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_nefinish3
Operafantomet

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_fb
Artistkae

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_100_0458
MlleMusique and Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_IMAG1754
Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_appliques2
Madame Giry

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_tritonapril3
Operafantomet

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_reddeathstanding
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_christinemegfull
Loettchen and a friend

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_megmasquerade2
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_usvegasbrianne
Meglett... Oh wait, she IS the real deal... Laughing

Viscountess

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_9masq4
ChorusGirl

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_threevegas
ChorusGirl, phantomfett and Phantomgirl110 (right?)

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_cdoverview3
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_CopyofIMAG1894
Littlelotty004

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_loettchenwish
Loettchen

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_amintafullnew3
Hah, me again. With an Aminta dress from Copenhagen.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_84786cc6
Viscountess

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Img_0014
Rebecca

Sorry if I forgot anyone, I just browsed through the costume thread and took the ones I found there. I know there are a LOT more fantastic replicas out there, for example by Artistkae at http://artistkae.tumblr.com/, I just don't think they have been posted here. Still, wow. Imagine us all get together for a group photo!

I want to do a "Featured Phantom costume" over at the Anéa FB site now... Josefine and Gunilla's costumes, for examples, hardly exist pictures of online, and yet they are utterly fantastic. Michaela de Bruce has many on her costume site, but deserves a lot more attention. Artistkae has a wardrobe of another world. And look at the ones above! cheers

ETA. sorry, I screwed up on the thumbnails. You can't enlarge them. Only option now is to quote me, copy the direct link and remove the tn_ tag before the name of the picture. So instead of "th_amintafullnew3.jpg" it should be "amintafullnew3.jpg". that'll give you a full-size version. All photos are also posted in bigger versions previously in this thread.

Drooling drooling and yes more drooling over all these fantastic recreations! SO many talented people out there! :-)
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Devon wrote:Drooling drooling and yes more drooling over all these fantastic recreations! SO many talented people out there! :-)
I know! I mean, I knew that already, but when I started browsing through the thread and saw all the fantastic creations in one place I couldn't believe my eyes. Some of them are as close to stage quality as can be. I love you
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:28 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Paula74 wrote:Just saw this on Twitter...a Carlotta costume on display at the Times Square Visitors Center.

http://www.timessquarenyc.org/whats_new/whats_new.html
I do have excellent pictures of the US version of Carlotta's BW dress. But the bodice of the one on display look a bit unusual.
Baaah, humbug. I thought the costume looked odd. No wonder, it's not from really from Phantom. A sign underneath said "...in the style of Carlotta from Phantom of the Opera....". Yeah, it reminds of the b/w dress, but I was still mighty disappointed. They also had a fedora and mask on display, as well as Elphaba's black hat and a handful other Broadway costumes, but I think they were all "...in the style of...." items. Anyway, here's the dress:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Timesvisitorcenter
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 pm

So because some people are just fantastic, I got to take a sneak peek at the Broadway costumes the other day. I didn't take any pictures - believe me, I wanted to, but I just didn't want to push the generosity by asking. However, I made some observations:

*Two Christine Elissa skirts were hanging there. I studied one of them, and from what I can tell it had an apron made of two fabrics: a see-through, red... organza (?) with embossed pattern in red and gold, and with a solid and more glittering fabric underneath. The thin fabric was sorta draped on the other one. It might be unique for that version, as a Carlotta costume used brocade instead. Or they might use both. But judging from photos the red of the backdrape usually match the apron, and sturdy brocade is a heck of a lot easier to deal with than thin organza on a thicker backing.

*The tabs were more glittering than I could have imagined. BLING to da world!

*The black pattern around the apron and down the drapes in the back appeared to be hand painted and applied by zig-zaging them down. That came as a surprise, I was sure it was a trim they bought by the yard which was easy to apply. That really is a lot of work.

*The bodice wasn't solid as I made it. Rather it had the outlines of the false bodice I made, I assume wire dressed with velvet, so parts of the slavegirl bodice is seen through it. But at the same time the wire anchors it to the waist. So it's this velvet dress wire and not a too-little-stiffened false bodice which makes it bulk in this picture:
https://2img.net/h/i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/elissa/usraabfull.jpg

*The Aminta skirt seemed to have a wavy horsehair fundament with semi stiff netting on top. And from what I could tell, the pink skirt had a solid fundament with various ruffled layers sewn on to it. The fabric was surprisingly soft, I don't know if it was due to years of wear and tear, or if it was like that when new as well. A fine silk dupioni?

*The beaded and fringed scarf around the neck opening had a black netting fundament. I'm guessing partly to support the scarf/fringes, and partly to avoid too much wig getting tangled up.

*The silver lace of the Wedding dress skirt was incredibly soft. I expected a much stiffer one. But I saw on stage that it was soft as well. It was beautiful. Also, the pleated basque in the waist was much thicker than I expected, almost like it was stuffed. And it was only attached to the bodice by snap buttons, to make dry cleaning of the various elements easier. That was apparently a new(er) thing, it was sewn to the bodice in the past.

*Carlotta's red dress was HEAVY. Mostly because of the thick brocade used in bodice and drapes, and a heavy skirt fundament. The pleated part of the skirt was not that heavy. For these dresses it's also common to just snap button on the white collar/false blouse, to make dry cleaning easier. However, the version I saw had the white loosely stitched on. But there were snap buttons underneath, from another wearer, and it appeared to have been altered.

*The Phantom's "I gave you my music" cloak was thin. SOO thin. We're talking see-through and semi-glittering. His other cloak, on the other hand, is heavy and of solid black (I wanna say) wool with greyish black silk lining. There are black-on-black sequined and pearled appliqués around the neck opening and at the shoulders, and a bit down the back. The back deco ends in a black tassel.

*Much of the original crystals and metal buttons, beads and brooches has been replaced by plastic ones. Actually not to be a cheap ass, but because it makes the costumes lighter, and sometimes it also handles the dry cleaning better than glass and metal. Though I remember reading the opposite about the US tour costumes, that they preferred glass, so I'm not sure what to think.

*Only a handful of the original Broadway costumes are still in use. I think it applied to some of the Auction costumes, and maybe a few others. Some has completely disintegrated after years of wear, tear and dry cleaning, others are stored to possibly preserve a part of Broadway history.

I think that is it. If I remember anything else, I'll add to this list...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Don't remember if I ever posted this, and since I really don't feel like picking my way through the thread to find out, I'll just post it anyway.

Here's me with the Red Death bear from the BC/EFA auction from a while ago:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 RDBear-1

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Man, that really IS accurate. You have a rather decent collection by now!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 am

That's not my bear. He lives at Parsons-Meares in NY. They made him for the auction, then bought him for a lot of money. I wish I had that bear!

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 am

Ah, I see. I was sure it was your bear. Cool picture, though.

I've started featuring various Phantom costume replica makers on my Facebook site. Just because there are so many talents out there which deserves a lot more credit than what they get. Some of you may have heard Gunilla's name being mentioned in various settings in the past, but have you really seen the Phantom costumes she's made? You should. They are fantastic. And they are even more fantastic judging they were made pre-internet, with only a handful pictures and her memory to base them on. The presentation of her includes the Serafimo/Maid costume from "Il Muto", the Star Princess costume from Masquerade, and of course the Wishing dress:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.237345086300825.51598.225253507509983&type=1

But I hope many, many more want to feature their costumes there. If you've made "only" one costume, it'll be about that one, and showing a lot of details and funny stories from when it was worn. If you've made several, it'll be of the ones you want to show the world. Send me full shots and detailed shots, as well as the info you'd like to include. You can email it at operafantomet (at) hotmail (dot) com. A new costume maker will be featured ca. every third week, but probably more often in the beginning.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 pm

That bear is amazing. I wish I had that bear cyclops .

Operafantomet: Thanks for the description of the Broadway costumes. It was a great read and very, very interesting.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Phantomlove wrote:Operafantomet: Thanks for the description of the Broadway costumes. It was a great read and very, very interesting.
Very glad you enjoyed it!

If anyone is still looking for Wishing fabric, I have a cold and lots of self pity and nothing to do, so I've been rambling eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FabriQuilt-Cotton-Fabric-Cobalt-Blue-Floral-Stripe-FQs-/140576525224?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item20bb038ba8#ht_2539wt_879
Kinda cool pattern and blue tone, and only US $3.50 a yard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Yards-Cotton-Fabric-PC-Orsay-Toile-Blue-Floral-Stripe-/120715637690?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item1c1b3673ba#ht_714wt_1113
I also like this, and if given a blue overdye I think it would make the perfect Wishing dress. Only 5 yards left, though. US $24.99 is not too bad.

I'm also seeing an Aminta dress from this one. But US 16.95 is not too cheap a yard... Though, it is pure silk taffeta.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORANGE-SALMON-100-PURE-SILK-TAFFETA-FABRIC-DRESS-BRIDE-/400083252460?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item5d26d1f4ec#ht_7044wt_879
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:01 am

phantomfett wrote:Don't remember if I ever posted this, and since I really don't feel like picking my way through the thread to find out, I'll just post it anyway.

Here's me with the Red Death bear from the BC/EFA auction from a while ago:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 RDBear-1

Aww, Bear! He was fun. Very Happy
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:16 am

Phantom on a Budget wrote:Aww, Bear! He was fun. Very Happy
What did he say? Laughing

OK, big costume day today. Just because I have the day off and because I am inspired. So I picked up the Wishing bodice again, the one I started on two years ago. Finishing the bottom seams now, so I can start putting on the various ribbons. It also still needs sleeves and the faux vest/closing in front.

Speaking of the front: I like various ways of decorating it. Most of all I like those mimicking the pattern of the silk. A couple of my favourites are in the collage underneath. Opinions?

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Fauxvestvariations
A: The top left one is a "peacock feather" one Colby Thomas wore in Hamburg in the 90s. I have never seen anyone else wear it, and I dig it. But I think it might be hard to find the right appliqués.

B: The second from top left is Shona Lindsay (was it not?) from 1991 London. It might be the most period looking, and I love how delicate it is.

C: Third is Rebecca Caine from 1991 Toronto. She didn't seem to wear this version for very long, as all later pictures shows a dress with white appliqués. This one almost looks like silver leafs? It's also one of the few Canadian versions with decorations down the faux front and not just on the collar. What I like the most about it is that it really looks like the collar is just folded aside, as a natural continuation of the faux vest.

D: Bottom left is one of the early Australian dresses. The narrow neck opening and high collar looks more proper for a Victorian day dress (though mine won't be as high), and I like how there's partly decorations on the faux vest. Very decorative, this one. And it also has this "collar folded aside" detail. I like it a lot.

E: The second from the bottom left is also from Hamburg, from 1989. It has bronze/brass appliqués with blue rocaille beads "embroidered" on top. I love how the faux vest pattern is like a negative of the pattern of the silk. It's definitely doable, but lots of work...

F: The last one is yet another one from Hamburg, and the last phase in mimicking-the-pattern-of-the-silk, before they started doing the more standardized appliqués (as is currently done in West End). This one should be fairly simple to do, but... maybe not that exciting?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:47 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Phantom on a Budget wrote:Aww, Bear! He was fun. Very Happy
What did he say? Laughing

He said he needed a new skull mask. Laughing We would've joked about taking him home with us, but the ladies at P&M looked like they were going to rip our throats out. Very protective of Red Death Bear. Shocked

Speaking of masks...if anyone is in the market for a Phantom half mask, say of early Broadway influence, check out my Facebook page (listed below). There's an exciting new addition to the lineup.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Empty B'way Hannibal Princess Question

Post  vmkwinner Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 am

Uh.. In Broadway the hannibal princess costumes seem to be bigger and more elaborate than from the former US Tour's version.. I also noticed its somewhat darker with a slightly different backdrape.. why is this?
vmkwinner
vmkwinner

http://vmkwinnertrading.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:24 am

Well, you make this so tough because I love them all! I actually like the version Rebecca Caine wore for that short time. I have that picture in one of my brochures and have always admired that the applique is a different color....it's got a silver hue to it, right? I thought it brought the dress out a bit more (if that makes any sense at all!). Another thing, I noticed in one of the versions she has almost a bow or bow tie on the top of the bodice. Not digging the bow...just don't like it, almost too much. I think the bodice itself is so gorgeous (material, appliques) that why try to over do it with a bow! But that's just my humble opinion. I'm sure you have seen the purple version of the Wishing gown (used in the Canadian production, am I right?). I thought it was pretty actually....it is identical to the blue version but just purple. I too like the collar folded down like that. The lady who made my version didn't get the collar to exactly "sit" well so every now and then one of the sides tries to pop up...lol So I do think the collar sitting or laying down is very nice. Have you gotten the buttons on yet? If not, what were you thinking of using? The lady who made mine used a round sort of off white pearl button that had an intricate Victorian pattern in silver adorning around the pearl. I think the buttons are actually ironically my favorite part of my bodice that I admire the most!
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you for the feedback, Devon. I really like that original Canadian dress as well, I SO wish I could see a closeup of the collar/vest. It almost looks like silver bullion in the shape of leafs, but I can't tell for sure. I haven't decided on buttons yet. I have it on the old bodice, but I think I might skip it for the new one. I guess it depends on the decorations I choose.

As for that "purple" Wishing dress in Canada, I think it's merely the light. When I first saw pictures of Sarah Brightman's original West End version, it looked almost lavender to me. Or at least a purplish blue. But seeing more pictures of it, it does appear to be rather standard blue, as can be seen in these pics:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Sarahbmanwish
Though I know the fabric CAN vary a bit from batch to batch, most colour variations I've seen has been due to either stage light or fading. The silk is extremely adaptive to various light. The fabric DOES exist in other colours, even a purple one, but it is darker than the Wishing gown ones. The purple was used in the movie "The Piano", and also appeared backstage at Her Majesty's. The golden one appeared in "Dangerous Liaisons".

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_purplewishinglondonPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_dangerouslfabric

Phantom on a Budget, those masks are gorgeous! I'm putting out a direct link, if that is OK by you.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.128795917136318.23255.128790003803576&type=1

vmkwinner, to be honest I can't see too much of a difference between the old and new Princess costumes in the USA. But maybe the difference would have been more striking if I had seen the US tour ones live? The biggest difference I see is that elder versions have horizontal stripes in the skirt, while newer have vertical stripes. The change of materials happens every so often, either because a better quality fabric appears on the market, or because elder ones are discontinued. I know that the Broadway production got new costumes for the "Longest running" season, right before Sandra Joseph left. How do you think the current B'way ones compare to those used in Las Vegas, which were made around shortly before?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:43 am

Oh alright....I see what you are saying about the light on the gown. Oh the more I think of it with the leaves on the collar of the Rebecca Caine dress I think they look more silver actually. But again, it might be the light playing tricks on me! :-) They do look like embossed leaves...very pretty, delicate is what I like about it. I love SB's version as well. It's too bad costumers can't get their hands on the REAL fabric but then again, it's probably very hefty in price!! (ahem...it would be SO worth it though!) Do you have any pictures of other version (colors) of the Wishing gown you could post on here? I remember seeing one with a floral pattern and purple...it was...rather interesting. Do you know of which one I'm talking about?

operafantomet wrote:Thank you for the feedback, Devon. I really like that original Canadian dress as well, I SO wish I could see a closeup of the collar/vest. It almost looks like silver bullion in the shape of leafs, but I can't tell for sure. I haven't decided on buttons yet. I have it on the old bodice, but I think I might skip it for the new one. I guess it depends on the decorations I choose.

As for that "purple" Wishing dress in Canada, I think it's merely the light. When I first saw pictures of Sarah Brightman's original West End version, it looked almost lavender to me. Or at least a purplish blue. But seeing more pictures of it, it does appear to be rather standard blue, as can be seen in these pics:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Sarahbmanwish
Though I know the fabric CAN vary a bit from batch to batch, most colour variations I've seen has been due to either stage light or fading. The silk is extremely adaptive to various light. The fabric DOES exist in other colours, even a purple one, but it is darker than the Wishing gown ones. The purple was used in the movie "The Piano", and also appeared backstage at Her Majesty's. The golden one appeared in "Dangerous Liaisons".

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_purplewishinglondonPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Th_dangerouslfabric

Phantom on a Budget, those masks are gorgeous! I'm putting out a direct link, if that is OK by you.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.128795917136318.23255.128790003803576&type=1

vmkwinner, to be honest I can't see too much of a difference between the old and new Princess costumes in the USA. But maybe the difference would have been more striking if I had seen the US tour ones live? The biggest difference I see is that elder versions have horizontal stripes in the skirt, while newer have vertical stripes. The change of materials happens every so often, either because a better quality fabric appears on the market, or because elder ones are discontinued. I know that the Broadway production got new costumes for the "Longest running" season, right before Sandra Joseph left. How do you think the current B'way ones compare to those used in Las Vegas, which were made around shortly before?
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Row 2 and 7 under "American" have most, if not all, the "non-stripy" versions of the dress:
http://aneafiles.webs.com/potocostumes/wishing.html

For some reason only the US has done "non-stripy" versions, at least as far as I've seen. Note that when Sara Jean Ford was with the US tour, she used the dress original Broadway alternate Patti Cohenour wore. That's one old and gorgeous dress!

Patti C: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/reiseaudun/designmanagers/usorigcohenour4.jpg
Sara J.F: https://2img.net/h/i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/wishing/us17sjford.jpg
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 am

Duh...I should have looked at your website first, if anyone would have the pictures of the different version of the Wishing gown you would! lol...thanks for posting. You know, I like every single one of those versions no matter the pattern. I just like the cut, style, and elegance of it...the Wishing gown is my favorite costume from Phantom so I guess I'm biased. :-)

operafantomet wrote:Row 2 and 7 under "American" have most, if not all, the "non-stripy" versions of the dress:
http://aneafiles.webs.com/potocostumes/wishing.html

For some reason only the US has done "non-stripy" versions, at least as far as I've seen. Note that when Sara Jean Ford was with the US tour, she used the dress original Broadway alternate Patti Cohenour wore. That's one old and gorgeous dress!

Patti C: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/reiseaudun/designmanagers/usorigcohenour4.jpg
Sara J.F: https://2img.net/h/i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/wishing/us17sjford.jpg
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:16 am

Katie Hall is definitely getting a new "Star Princess" costume as an alternate:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Katiehallunfinishedstar
See? No bodice decorations! It might just be me, but I wish they would tone down the colours of the UK versions a bit. They started pump the colours up in the middle of Rachel Barrell's run, and I think it's went a bit over the top. But fantastic to see one of the costumes in making, without the decorations on the bodice.

From her official Twitter (and there's more costume pics there, including a slavegirl one where you can see how light her wig is): https://twitter.com/#!/katie1hall

But my main reason to post: I've featured various Phantom costume replica makers in my FB site. You wanna see them!

GUNILLA: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.237345086300825.51598.225253507509983&type=1
BRYAN: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.238866132815387.51885.225253507509983&type=1
KAEDRA: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.242276359141031.52408.225253507509983&type=1
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 am

operafantomet wrote:Katie Hall is definitely getting a new "Star Princess" costume as an alternate:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 25 Katiehallunfinishedstar
See? No bodice decorations! It might just be me, but I wish they would tone down the colours of the UK versions a bit. They started pump the colours up in the middle of Rachel Barrell's run, and I think it's went a bit over the top. But fantastic to see one of the costumes in making, without the decorations on the bodice.

From her official Twitter (and there's more costume pics there, including a slavegirl one where you can see how light her wig is): https://twitter.com/#!/katie1hall

But my main reason to post: I've featured various Phantom costume replica makers in my FB site. You wanna see them!

GUNILLA: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.237345086300825.51598.225253507509983&type=1
BRYAN: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.238866132815387.51885.225253507509983&type=1
KAEDRA: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.242276359141031.52408.225253507509983&type=1

Oh wow, I have never seen the Masquerade costume like this before! I agree, it lacks the detailing on the bodice. I like the colors but they seem too "loud."
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 34  Next