Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Christines

+37
ladygodiva
Fiyero3305
phantomphan1992
LadyCDaae
Wide-Eyed
Viscountess
ML6
Elisabetta611
justin1976
Soprano Rose
Scorp
The White Half-Mask
TheMaskedLion
AngelofMusic
Callie Daae
Helen
Lyndsay
Enjolras
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
orange_peas
HerMajesty
Blind Phan
MasqPhan
phantom10906
SenorSwanky
MlleMusique
Christine's Shadow
phantomgirl110
Raphael
THEFISH<3
IamErik771
EarlFan
starryeyed
Paula74
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
41 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Favourite Christines - Page 3 Empty Re: Favourite Christines

Post  ML6 Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:30 pm

I know! I wouldn't mention the whole soundboard thing, but I did contact her (and did some research) to discover that IS her. (I guess she's friends with Rebecca Caine on facebook.) But lord, I wish that there was a recording of her. I never rate someone so highly based on what I hear (and very limited), but I was seriously stunned by those clips. I did thank her for putting them up. Glad you all enjoyed them.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 pm

1. Jennifer Hope Wills and/or Leila Benn Harris
2. Elizabeth Loyacano
3. Susan Owen
4. Sierra Boggess
5. Rachel Barrell and/or Celia Graham
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:55 am

Because Maria Kesselman is so amazing, she has uploaded another bit from her run as Christine! Smile

She is bebepenny on YouTube.

I love it. Smile

Last edited by operafantomet on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please see rule # 1 of the forum rules)
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:39 am

Are you sure that's actually her Youtube account? I thought it was just a fan's.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:02 am

Callie Daae wrote:Are you sure that's actually her Youtube account? I thought it was just a fan's.
I actually think it's her. Her dog, which those tribute videos shows clips of, was named Bebe. It died not long ago. I doubt a fan would make such a personal video and name the account after her dog?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisabetta611 Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Gorgeous clips with Kesselmann. I like her MUCH better than Sarah Brightman. And Crawford blows me away here, like him much better her than on the OLC.
Elisabetta611
Elisabetta611

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Elisabetta611 wrote:Gorgeous clips with Kesselmann. I like her MUCH better than Sarah Brightman. And Crawford blows me away here, like him much better her than on the OLC.
He is fantastic to listen to in live clips! So much more passion and agony! The original production had some awesome talents in the cast, it was great to hear Kesselman and Barton together.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisabetta611 Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:13 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Elisabetta611 wrote:Gorgeous clips with Kesselmann. I like her MUCH better than Sarah Brightman. And Crawford blows me away here, like him much better her than on the OLC.
He is fantastic to listen to in live clips! So much more passion and agony! The original production had some awesome talents in the cast, it was great to hear Kesselman and Barton together.

Couldn't agree more, Anea. Live stuff just rules! Smile

Last edited by Elisabetta611 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elisabetta611
Elisabetta611

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:20 pm

People, we all love it, but keep in mind:

1. No references in any way to illegal material/bootlegs on Youtube or video/copied CD's etc. This includes stills from bootlegs. It's might be common knowledge that these things exist but it opens this forum and owner(s) to legal issues. The exception with YouTube videos would be if it was something that was aired on television, official footage from the production etc.

https://desertedphans.forumotion.net/rules-please-read-before-posting-f11/forum-rules-t142.htm
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisabetta611 Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 pm

EEEEEP, you're right, of course. I edited my post above. Sorry! Embarassed
Elisabetta611
Elisabetta611

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Elisabetta611 wrote:EEEEEP, you're right, of course. I edited my post above. Sorry! Embarassed
Thank you! Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Whoops, sorry Operafantomet! Embarassed I was just too excited.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Callie Daae wrote:Are you sure that's actually her Youtube account? I thought it was just a fan's.
I actually think it's her. Her dog, which those tribute videos shows clips of, was named Bebe. It died not long ago. I doubt a fan would make such a personal video and name the account after her dog?

Oops. I'm embarrassed. I sent a message asking where she got those pics from! I thought it was just a fan. lol
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:59 pm

I still like Sarah better than all other Christines, but Kesselman is quite good. And MC got even better on Broadway and, especially, in LA.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
I still like Sarah better than all other Christines, but Kesselman is quite good. And MC got even better on Broadway and, especially, in LA.

I agree with Elisabetta611. I think that Maria fit the part better than Sarah. I have a HUGE problem with Sarah's acting skills. And Michael sounds amazing, as always (sigh). I love you
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Maria was very sweet and she responded to something I wrote (a while ago) today:

Hi Andrea (that's me), thanks so much for your lovely comments. Yes it was very exciting as it was my first job out of music college. Wonderful cast. We had some fabulous times and lots of hicups with the boat in the early stages etc. !!!

This was recorded in 1987.

Very best wishes,

Maria

Such a doll. I hope she shares more. Just think of how many other Christine's from the early runs that we've never heard?
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Wide-Eyed Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 am

First of alll - Hi, guys. I'm extremely new here. If there's an intro thread, please point me in the right direction. I'm @ phantomoftheopera.com as Wide-Eyed too, and just begining to understand that forum still takes me awhile.

My favorite Christine is Marni Raab. I feel that she looks the part, puts in touching acting tid-bits and has a lovely, pure soprano voice.

Wide-Eyed

Location : Usually just day dreaming. It doesn't matter where I am.

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Rita Harvey: Not a very familiar name on the Christine roster--she was an alternate/understudy about twenty years back, and she impressed me with her passionate, deeply tormented performance.

Marie Danvers: A little too cold towards the Phantom for my taste (I like to see Christine much more torn emotionally) but a strong performance and good clear voice.

Beth Southard: Exquisite singing and absolutely captivating stage presence--it's easy to see why she inspires such passion in both the Phantom and Raoul. She and Gary Mauer are easily the best Phantom/Christine pairing I've seen live.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Wide-Eyed wrote:First of alll - Hi, guys. I'm extremely new here. If there's an intro thread, please point me in the right direction. I'm @ phantomoftheopera.com as Wide-Eyed too, and just begining to understand that forum still takes me awhile.
Welcome, Wide-Eyed! Glad you stumbled upon us and decided to join! Basically, what you need to do, is to read the forum rules, and then jump right into it!

https://desertedphans.forumotion.net/rules-please-read-before-posting-f11/forum-rules-t142.htm

LadyCDaae, I remember the nice portraits in costume taken of Rita Harvey in the mid-90s. Very nice pictures. But I don't think I've ever heard her sing!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 pm

In no particular order (except, maybe, the first):

Rebecca Caine
Marie Danvers (this could possibly be because she was my first Christine, though...)
Beth Southard
Jennifer Hope Wills
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 am

Updating my list! There is so little difference between my #2, 3, 4, 5 and #6...but ranking them makes life easier.

#1: Sarah Brightman
#2: Julie Goodwin
#3: Ana Marina
#4: Jan Hartley-Morris (seriously, go and listen to this woman)
#5: Teresa de Zarn
#6: Melissa Dye

...plus 32 others Rolling Eyes
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:42 pm

MlleMusique wrote:
#1: Sarah Brightman
#2: Julie Goodwin
#3: Ana Marina
#4: Jan Hartley-Morris (seriously, go and listen to this woman)
#5: Teresa de Zarn
#6: Melissa Dye

...plus 32 others Rolling Eyes
Isn't that a good thing? Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Isn't that a good thing?

Yeah, I guess. Very Happy I love having so many different portrayals of the same character and liking each one for different reasons. I'm still fascinated by this idea, actually--that two actresses can offer two completely different interpretations of the same character using the same music, choreography, etc. and yet each one can seem 'right'. I'm working on a blurb for each actress on my list, trying to articulate what it is I like about their portrayal. Its been very enlightening!
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiyero3305 Thu May 20, 2010 4:29 am

My favorites are Marie Danvers, Julie Hanson, and Lisa Vroman, but for such different reasons that I have a hard time ranking them in relation to each other.

I love Marie because she was my first and so far only Christine seen live, but I really do love her performance. I'm a fan of vibrato so I loved her singing and I'm very much a lover of Christine with Raoul so I loved that she made it clear that her allegiance was to Raoul, especially in the Final Lair when she threw herself in front of Raoul to protect him when the Phantom approached him threateningly. I also felt she showed a bit more maturity and growth than other girls.

Julie is the sweetest ingenue I've seen in the role and her youth and naivete were so endearing to me. I love her voice and love the way it seemed to just fill the theater. Her Christine didn't grow like Marie's did, but at the same time I loved it because it gave her a bit more of an uncertain end. At the end of the show with Julie I don't think she's riding off in that gondola to a happy and peaceful life with Raoul, I get the feeling that she is seriously disturbed by the invasion into her mind that the Phantom did to her, along with his manipulation and eventual betrayal. With Julie I have to think a lot more about what happens after the show ends and how she and Raoul will have to work to make their lives liveable after this traumatic experience and I think that makes her portrayal very powerful. At the very least I have the most to say about her anyway!

Lisa Vroman had such an incredible voice, possibly the best I've ever heard, and I loved the strength that she gave Christine. I admire her characterization a lot, but at the same time her strength made her seem, I don't know, fully formed so I didn't get to see the growth or conflict that I love in Marie and Julie.
Fiyero3305
Fiyero3305

Back to top Go down

Favourite Christines - Page 3 Empty Favourite Christines

Post  ladygodiva Sat May 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Sarah Brightman, She and Michael Crawford had an incredible rapport, floating fallling she looked perfect in his arms, her voice was beautiful and still is, she exuded warmth and youth and beauty. and her Christine seemed to be attracted to the Phantom. My favorite Sarah as Christine moment was when after the un-masking she looked for a good moment sweetly at the phantom after he said oh Christine,

Sarah Pfistnerer, My favorite moment with Pfistnerer was when in the Final Lair instead of simply prostrating herself, she glided over the floor and slid gracefully while at that moment she was not exactly going to beg as the others, (Which works actually either way.

Rebecca Caine; Beauty, grace, strength of character, I was lucky to see her in Canada with Colm and she was the greatest.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat May 29, 2010 8:54 pm

ladygodiva wrote:Sarah Brightman, She and Michael Crawford had an incredible rapport, floating fallling she looked perfect in his arms, her voice was beautiful and still is, she exuded warmth and youth and beauty. and her Christine seemed to be attracted to the Phantom. My favorite Sarah as Christine moment was when after the un-masking she looked for a good moment sweetly at the phantom after he said oh Christine,

Rebecca Caine; Beauty, grace, strength of character, I was lucky to see her in Canada with Colm and she was the greatest.
You've seen both Crawford/Brightman and Wilkinson/Caine? Wowsy... I feel jealousy ringing on my doorbell! Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat May 29, 2010 9:43 pm

operafantomet wrote:
ladygodiva wrote:Sarah Brightman, She and Michael Crawford had an incredible rapport, floating fallling she looked perfect in his arms, her voice was beautiful and still is, she exuded warmth and youth and beauty. and her Christine seemed to be attracted to the Phantom. My favorite Sarah as Christine moment was when after the un-masking she looked for a good moment sweetly at the phantom after he said oh Christine,

You've seen both Crawford/Brightman and Wilkinson/Caine? Wowsy... I feel jealousy ringing on my doorbell! Smile

I echo the jealousy! I'm not sure I've encountered anyone before who's been lucky enough to see not just one but TWO such legendary Phantom pairings; you must tell us more! Very Happy
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Favourite Christines - Page 3 Empty Favourite Christines

Post  ladygodiva Sun May 30, 2010 5:59 pm

I will add more to my faves and why,

Like I said Rebecca Caine was wonderful, truly truly wonderful, (I had actually not expected much but was completely wowed away) Rebecca Caine is a pure talent, she so perfect as Christine, she was the Trifecta of Christines, she was the best actress (And do not get me wrong, I love Sarah Brightman) Rebecca wowed even my friends who were'nt to crazy about musicals, especially pop-opera, or as my one friend calls musicals like Phantom, Tommy (Popera's), after think of me, my friend turned to me and said, She can sing., and another friend said I'm glad that you dragged me. And that friend had gone back many times to see allmost all Canadian Phantoms, Christines.

Rebecca was less of a hypnotised Christine and more of a Christine with both feet on the ground, although she was in awe of the phantom. during MON and Past the point of no return, she was the absolute most sensual Christine, she was also my favorite for the managers/twisted every way, when she sang how dare you to Carlotta, her Christine had held it in for so long and she was'nt telling off Carlotta, more than she was standing up for herself. and during MON after Colm sung Floating Falling, and was guiding her toward the Mirror, she seemed to be awakening her primal urge. (although, I did not care for Colm during Touch me trust me, it was the creepiest thing, I was awed by his voice,) and in the Final Lair, Rebecca as Christine, was more caring to both Raoul in the noose/lasso, and more tender toward the phantom during the kiss and embrace, and I think that her christine as truly torn at that point.

Another Christine that I got to see was Dale Kristien in LA, with Michael Crawford. She was rather stiff and akward, during most of the show, however Dale was the best in the Final Lair, she was more of a protector to Raoul, she seemed to be protecting him, she has a high score in singing from me for the note in TOM, I did not care for her AOM with meg. in person Dale looked alot younger than, she did in the televised Bob Hope MON and the Gala MON, and Dale did have a tremendous Joy of Sing(most Christines do) Dale did have a rather stiff and ungraceful moment, and she did borrow most of her affects from Patty Cohenour. and one thing Dale tried to steer away from the princess-like quality of Christine and tried to flesh Christine out a little like Rebecca Caine

I also got to see Mary Darcy with MC, she was for most respects a replicant of Dale Kristien, although Mary D. was more gracefull than dale was,and seemed more innocent. for the most part my eyes were never off Micheal Crawford. so I don't recall most of her proformance, not putting her down, what I do remember is that she was quite good. wish that I could tell you more,

I got to see Terri Bibb in the National tour in Cleveland over a decade ago, she was quite good as well, she had a good rapport with her phantom Rick Hilsabeck, and her Raoul, Nate Chandler (Yummy)
She was graceful and sung well. and her preformances were quite good.

Sarah Pfistner was really good in the Cleveland tour, I think that all in all between Terri B. and Sarah pfistnerner Sarah was better in the Final Lair. she seemed to be a power packing energiser bunny.

and I will say a little more about my total Fave Sarah Brightman, the voice the innocents and the victorian persona (At least on stage) she and Michael Crawford, wow, I was totally blown away. she was perfect, now, yes, her acting with others was a bit weak and stilted,esepecially my least favorite standing up for her self to Carlotta, but Sarah was and had a victrorian girl presence, (Which is why Christines are mostly played by, be a good girl, be nice, princess, the way that most young ladies of the period would be told to keep it to yourself and keep it in.) but other than that Sarah and Micheal they had it. (Micheal tends to have it with most Christines, as something that I cannot really put into words, such as extreme tenderness, sensuality, angst, (wait until I go onto favourite phantoms and then go into MC's Phantom.

and I did see in Toronto with Colm the althernate actress as well, can't think of her name, when I do I will jot down more.

Favorite Christines that I did not see, Elisabeth Berg, love her voice, Lusia Nistler, loved her voice,
one of the Japanese Christines.

thank you again for this website, and I do love that everyone here is so shareing.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 pm

ladygodiva wrote:Favorite Christines that I did not see, Elisabeth Berg, love her voice (...)
Major amen. Her voice is absolutely amazing.

Also so fun to read actual reviews of Rebecca Caine and Dale Kristien. I've heard both, I've read various comments on both, but I've never read how they actually portrayed Christine. I can't believe you've seen so many fantastic combinations and performers, wowsy!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Mon May 31, 2010 2:04 pm

ladygodiva, I'm so jealous that you got to see MC that many times! Very Happy
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content