Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera"

+9
starryeyed
Raphael
ML6
Riene
Blind Phan
HDKingsbury
TGITPC
Scorp
IamErik771
13 posters

Go down

Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera" Empty Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera"

Post  IamErik771 Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:43 am

I find it amusing that I'd be the one to start this thread, considering that I had never even heard the cast recording until about a year ago. But yes, here's a place for us all to talk about the version that inspired ALW to try his hand at writing his own! Smile

Last edited by IamErik771 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera" Empty Re: Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera"

Post  Scorp Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:55 pm

For my money, this is the only non-ALW Phantom musical that doesn't make me cringe. Although each have their nice moments, there are parts of the Yeston/Kopit and Rosen/Schierhorn versions that I find horrendous. (And I won't even comment on the pretty dire ones coming out of Germany...).

There's something about the humour of the Ken Hill version that's really in-keeping with Leroux that the ALW musical lacks a fair bit.

"Noooooooooo, not that one!!! This one!" cracks me up every time...Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera" Smiley-laughing012

A friend of mine, who runs the Ken Hill Phantom site, has amassed an enormous amount of memorabilia related to this show. Might be worth photographing each item and putting it online. I myself have a few interesting items, including a rare programme from the original version (before the original music was taken out and replaced with famous opera music) signed by the entire cast.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TGITPC Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:27 pm

I know that I have the album saved on my computer somewhere, but I've yet to listen to it. From what I've heard, it's considerably darker than ALW and far more operatic, two characteristics in my favors. It's also, as I understand, more based on Leroux. Perhaps I should find the time to listen to it all the way through.
TGITPC
TGITPC

http://thatgirlinthephantomcostume.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  HDKingsbury Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:05 am

I actually got to see this one twice, some years back, when a touring company came to Toledo. I love this version, and I remember many delightfully humorous moments. I still have my program somewhere...and if folks are interested, I'll see if I can scan some of it and post the pictures here.

Last edited by HDKingsbury on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
HDKingsbury
HDKingsbury

Back to top Go down

Post  TGITPC Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:30 am

I listened to the soundtrack all the way through and I was pretty impressed. I thought that some parts were a little too heavy and perhaps a little too "opera" like (for instance, the ending made me flashback to Don Giovanni) but otherwise, it was a haunting, impressive, and compelling score. And it was funny too! I was literally "lmao" at How Dare She. "Unchaperoned in her dressing room?!?!?!" It cracked me up.
TGITPC
TGITPC

http://thatgirlinthephantomcostume.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind Phan Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Hmmm. I'm obviously going to have to give this one another chance. The last time I listened to it, I remember finding it far too camp - the same problem I have with much of the Y/K version. I do love the final "While Floating High Above" though!

Blind Phan

http://www.phantomfemme.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Riene Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Are there lyrics posted anywhere to the KH songs? "Floating High Above" is my favorite from that musical, but I seem to recall there was a line or two that I never quite figured out.
Riene
Riene

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rienerose

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Riene wrote:
Are there lyrics posted anywhere to the KH songs? "Floating High Above" is my favorite from that musical, but I seem to recall there was a line or two that I never quite figured out.

I love 'Floating High Above'. Very Happy It's one of my favourite songs on the CD!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:58 am

Riene wrote:
Here you go, Riene:

http://www.kenhillsphantomoftheopera.co.uk/libretto.php

It's a great site overall, too.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:28 am

Raphael wrote:
Riene wrote:
Here you go, Riene:

R.

Tisk tisk, Riene. That's Tom's website! :O
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Riene Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:04 pm

ML6 wrote:
Raphael wrote:
Riene wrote:
Here you go, Riene:

R.

Tisk tisk, Riene. That's Tom's website! :O

Ooops! I didn't know that Tom HAD a website! Thanks, all!
Riene
Riene

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rienerose

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:48 pm

I listened to "While Floating High Above" and really enjoyed it, there is something quite haunting yet beautiful about the song. I listened to excerpts from the other songs, I definitely would like to get my hands on a cast recording, are they still sold in Dress Circle?

"How dare she?" Sounds as though it would be excellent with a really angry Raoul, actually I am really fond of the bits I've heard that Raoul sings, sounds like the actor could really showcase his voice.

I like the more operatic sound to the Christine's voice too. All in all, very intrigued and would love to hear more.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 pm

ruthy wrote:I listened to "While Floating High Above" and really enjoyed it, there is something quite haunting yet beautiful about the song. I listened to excerpts from the other songs, I definitely would like to get my hands on a cast recording, are they still sold in Dress Circle?

"How dare she?" Sounds as though it would be excellent with a really angry Raoul, actually I am really fond of the bits I've heard that Raoul sings, sounds like the actor could really showcase his voice.

I like the more operatic sound to the Christine's voice too. All in all, very intrigued and would love to hear more.

I think DC does still sell them; if they don't then Sound of Music definitely still does and it comes up pretty frequently on eBay.

Don't forget all the songs are taken from real opera (ALW's original idea before Jim Sharman told him to compose the score himself)...and Mr Hill (RIP) chose some of the best. There's an appropriate amount of Faust in there too.

The original version of Ken Hill's show actually did have original music written for it by someone called Ian Armit, but this had all been taken out and replaced by past opera by the time the show premiered at the Stratford East where ALW and Cameron saw it.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Yes I knew about it being from real opera, that's why I am so intrigued. My mum says she'll buy it for my birthday.

I have researched Ken Hill's version a lot recently and really wish I had a chance to see it performed.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 pm

ruthy wrote:Yes I knew about it being from real opera, that's why I am so intrigued. My mum says she'll buy it for my birthday.

I have researched Ken Hill's version a lot recently and really wish I had a chance to see it performed.

I regret not going to see the production at the Shaftesbury. Also regret missing out on the last UK tour, which I think was sort of around the same time the last tour of ALW's one was on. It'll come back eventually. My friend's pet long-term project is to produce a major revival of it in the UK...maybe we should be his angels and invest in it, hehe.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 pm

When do we plan on robbing a bank then Scorp? Wink

Well when it does come back, I will definitely be one of the first to get a ticket. My mum almost booked a ticket for herself once and then I think it closed early perhaps?

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 pm

ruthy wrote:When do we plan on robbing a bank then Scorp? Wink

Just after we vandalise the Love Never Dies sign outside HM's? Wink
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  craziboy Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:42 am

Does anyone know where I can hear the recordings to Ken's version?
I'm in love with Webber's version, but I would love to hear the first musical adaptation

craziboy

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 am

Scorp I missed your reply. We must meet to vandalise the signs then rob the bank.

And craziboy there is a website where you can hear a one minute preview of the tracks but for the recording you'd probably have to get it from Dress Circle or somewhere similar.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 pm

So he'll probably kill me for saying this, but I think I have successfully persuaded said friend to revive this next year... Wink

dolly-ry wrote:Scorp I missed your reply. We must meet to vandalise the signs then rob the bank.

It's a date. We should probably wear masks.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Masks would indeed be fitting. I am trying to remember if the LND sign was outside HM's on Saturday, it probably was but I just remember seeing the SOLD OUT sign (I do love to see that.)

And I see that tiny writing (how do you do that by the way?) and I am actually far too excited by that prospect!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

dolly-ry wrote:Masks would indeed be fitting. I am trying to remember if the LND sign was outside HM's on Saturday, it probably was but I just remember seeing the SOLD OUT sign (I do love to see that.)

Is the Sold Out sign still black or have they purpled that up too?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Black don't worry, and the cast board still black. I dread the day I go and they have both turned purple.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:30 pm

When we go to vandalise the LND sign and rob a bank, add to that list painting HM's black again. I think the robbing-a-bank bit should come last.

Last edited by Scorp on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Scorp we are going to be very busy you know! But of course we have to add painting HM's black again to the list, I still haven't got used to the purple, it is so, well, purple.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera" Empty ken Hills

Post  ladygodiva Sun May 30, 2010 6:38 pm

I saw this version a long time ago, not as good as ALW, but still a good night at the opera.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:21 pm

I finally got around to listening to the whole album today, and I liked it better than I thought I would. The Persian's song is perhaps my favourite.
But I must also admit that I'm a bit confused. What on earth happens in the end? It's impossible to tell from just listening and I haven't been able to find a full synopsis anywhere online, just the one ending with "The Phantom, suddenly finding himself in a tight spot, produces a knife and pulls Christine in front of him - a union sealed in death seems his only option...!"

Don't worry about spoiling it for me. I just want to know what happens. Smile

Anyhow, the musical gets a little gold star in book for making Raoul the son of a (former) president of a railway company. Trains + my favourite PotO character = a very happy me.
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Ken Hill's "Phantom of the Opera" Empty Old advertisment for Ken Hill

Post  ladygodiva Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Performance schedule and prices.

Tues, Wed, Thur 8pm $22.50-$26.50, Fri and Sat 8pm $24.50-$28.50 Sat and Sun 2pm $22.50-$26.50, Sunday 7:30pm $22.50-$26.50,
at the Fox Theater one week only Tuesday October 17-Sunday Oct 22

Subject to service sharge and 50 cents per ticket for the restoration of the FOX Theater

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomasc Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 pm

I live in Fairhope Alabama, and this is one of the few versions I haven't seen, because of where I live. Is it still running in the East End of London?

Phantomasc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down