Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom Essay: music & character

3 posters

Go down

Phantom Essay: music & character Empty Phantom Essay: music & character

Post  MlleMusique Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 am

Well, I wasn't sure where to put this, and its not really shameless self promotion as much as something I've been working hard on and are interested in sharing... I'm studying music at university (graduation at the end of this year! Yay!) and for one of my subjects we had to write a research essay or exegesis. Of course I decided the only thing I would be motivated enough to actually research properly and write about was Phantom, so I did: an investigation into the way Andrew Lloyd Webber used music to define the Phantom, Christine and Raoul (and their relationships) in his stage show version of Phantom. My lecturer was actually really keen for me to pursue this, she thought it was a really interesting topic, which was good news for me!

The result is a 6164 word, 20 page essay that barely covers all of the information I accumulated over a semester's research. My main sources were John Snelson's biography of ALW, Anne Myers' amazing "Phantom Project", the "Music of The Phantom of the Opera" documentary on the DVD of the 2004 film (yeah, I actually watched it), and an essay by Suzy Mackee Charnas (also an amazing writer). If anyone is actually interested in reading it, I'm not offering to blow my own trumpet but because I personally had a blast researching and writing, and I thought maybe someone would be interested. I do use a lot of 'technical' musical jargon, but for the most part I think my writing style is fairly easy to get one's head around.
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Phantom Essay: music & character Empty Re: Phantom Essay: music & character

Post  operafantomet Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 pm

MlleMusique wrote:Well, I wasn't sure where to put this, and its not really shameless self promotion as much as something I've been working hard on and are interested in sharing...
I think this is a good place to post about it (and I support shameless self promoting, by the way... Wink ).

The project sounds very intriguing! I know others also has written about POTO in academic context, cool to hear more about those too.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathshead1 Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Sounds great! Cant wait to read it!
Deathshead1
Deathshead1

http://http./www.wix.com/deathsheaderik1/deathsheadcom.wix

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm

Hmm...well the thing is, I don't have a fanfiction account or anything, cos I'm a bit paranoid about plagerism. What would be the best way to post it here? Would the mods be mad if I copied the whole thing in one post?
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down