Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Les Misérables

+42
purplehaze93
LesMizPhan
charleygirl
thegenuinebeauty
meglett
TheMaskedLion
StrangerThanUDreamt
ladygodiva
exopotamie
AlwaysChristine
phantomphan1992
Porteña
Bunvendor
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
Princess
Aminta
MaskedLion
Raphael
PMB1034
alaron
Deathshead1
Mandrake
LadyCDaae
phantom10906
Miss von Krolock
ML6
Viscountess
Phantomlove
justin1976
starryeyed
Scorp
phantomgirl110
Callie Daae
Christine's Shadow
Helen
SenorSwanky
Paula74
operafantomet
THEFISH<3
IamErik771
EarlFan
46 posters

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

Les Misérables - Page 16 Empty Re: Les Misérables

Post  Raphael Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 am

You do all realize that this Eponine casting drama guarantees that we'll all be immortalized on Taylor Swift's next album in a song about how mean musical theatre fans can be *LOL*

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:11 am

So, names are coming out about who is who in the ABC Cafe gang. They're all previous or current UK actors familiar with the stage show. When I get a confirmation on who is who, I'll post it here. I know a certain person who admitted today who he was playing but he deleted the tweet.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:36 am

Decided to see if I could get last-minute tickets to see the tour tonight, the final performance in Raleigh. I hadn't seen the show since the original tour was last here in 2001 or 2002, and I saw J. Mark McVey as Valjean both times, 10 or 11 years apart.

It was a pretty strong cast, and I actually really like, for the most part, the new staging with the projections. It's more effective in person than you'd think. Sometimes it's unnecessary, but it also sometimes enhances the depth of the setting.

McVey is one of the stronger Valjeans we've had in America. Pretty good acting; a little over-the-top at times, but a pretty solid presence. The Young Cosette tonight was actually McVey's daughter Kylie, so there was real father-daughter cuteness there when he rescued her. She and the Gavroche I saw, Anthony Pierini, were both adorable.

I last saw Andrew Varela on stage as Piangi in the Phantom tour in December 2009, and I didn't so much like him in that role, so his Javert exceeded expectations, particularly vocally, since he's a tenor, and the role is best sung by baritones. He has a nice lower register. He's pretty decent acting-wise as well, though he doesn't quite have the gravitas I like, the air of authority that a guy like Philip Quast just naturally carries.

Betsy Morgan is an utterly fantastic Fantine; find clips of her on YouTube if you can.

I was disappointed Chasten Harmon was off tonight because I love what I've seen of her as Eponine, but her understudy Nadine Malouf was great, really deserving of being principal.

Didn't really like Richard Vida as Thenardier that much, though Shawna Hamic as Mme. T was pretty good.

Julie Benko was a strong Cosette, and Max Quinlan a pretty decent Marius; they had chemistry in Heart Full of Love that actually brought tears to my eyes, which that song almost never does.

Jeremy Hays was a very good Enjolras, and Joseph Spieldenner a really strong Grantaire. I loved James Zannelli as the Bishop as well. Overall, a really strong ensemble with great voices. Seemed to be giving it their all, even on a getaway night.

As well as Varela, Phantom veterans in the cast include Richard Todd Adams (Lesgles, Foreman, understudying both Valjean and Javert) and Jason Forbach (Feuilly, u/s Enjolras).
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Les Misérables - Page 16 Empty Interview with Rebecca Caine re: Les Miserables and Phantom

Post  ladygodiva Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:27 pm

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/interview-ten-minutes-with-rebecca-caine/

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:48 pm

"I think only the original cast actually knows what they contributed. I mean, all the moves that are being done to this day at the Queen’s were improvised 25 years ago. I put in all those high notes for Cossette, all those floated high notes, Michael and Frances worked out the harmony that they did. Patti LuPone put that climbing scale into I Dreamed a Dream; I remember her coming in one afternoon and saying, ‘Can I do this?’ and they said yes. "

THIS! Very valid for POTO too. When people write they don't like Michael Crawford as the Phantom, I always have this in the back of my head. I mean, people are entitled to not like Crawford's Phantom, but what he pour his soul into some 26 years ago is still done today, pretty much the same way. You can dislike his voice, or other treats specific to him, but you can't think he is crap and still like the Phantom. Get what I mean?

Originally Michael was a very strong Marius, and they don’t really cast them like that anymore, they cast them very, very ‘lite’. (...) You had people like Graham Bickley initially, and Simon Bowman, they were much more manly, they were less poppy.

Again, very valid for POTO. Your typical Raoul is a lot more "lite" nowadays than originally. Not just compared to Steve Barton, also to the original international Raouls. Ditto for Christines and their poppy sound, though this mostly applies to London.

I’m very interested in maintaining what I think to be a good soprano sound in musicals, because I think that’s being lost. It’s partly due to something called the Estill technique, which has its uses, but it’s making everybody sound a bit the same. (...) You don’t get the two different colours. It’s important to keep that soprano sound because it says something, whether it’s a certain refinement, or a different kind of purity, or a virginity. Whatever you read into that sound, it’s important that we don’t lose it and that it all doesn’t become a little bit too chesty, a little bit too belty, a little bit too twangy, and sound like everybody else.

That's interesting. I've never heard of the Estill technique, but hooray for her to maintain the classical soprano instead of the generic "musical" voice. The latter is indeed "like everybody else". I'm glad that she mentions Gina Beck as one of those keeping the pure, classical sound. I agree.

This is one of the least snarky interviews I've read on Rebecca Caine in recent years. I used to think her snarkiness was refreshing, but it became a bit boring after some months. So reading her actual thoughts on stuff she knows best was interesting. I can only envy those having her as their tutor and mentor. Thanks for sharing, ladygodiva.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Any word on shooting locations or who the costume designer and cinematographer are? IMDb doesn't reveal.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:10 am

operafantomet wrote:"I think only the original cast actually knows what they contributed. I mean, all the moves that are being done to this day at the Queen’s were improvised 25 years ago. I put in all those high notes for Cossette, all those floated high notes, Michael and Frances worked out the harmony that they did. Patti LuPone put that climbing scale into I Dreamed a Dream; I remember her coming in one afternoon and saying, ‘Can I do this?’ and they said yes. "

THIS! Very valid for POTO too. When people write they don't like Michael Crawford as the Phantom, I always have this in the back of my head. I mean, people are entitled to not like Crawford's Phantom, but what he pour his soul into some 26 years ago is still done today, pretty much the same way. You can dislike his voice, or other treats specific to him, but you can't think he is crap and still like the Phantom. Get what I mean?

Originally Michael was a very strong Marius, and they don’t really cast them like that anymore, they cast them very, very ‘lite’. (...) You had people like Graham Bickley initially, and Simon Bowman, they were much more manly, they were less poppy.

Again, very valid for POTO. Your typical Raoul is a lot more "lite" nowadays than originally. Not just compared to Steve Barton, also to the original international Raouls. Ditto for Christines and their poppy sound, though this mostly applies to London.

I’m very interested in maintaining what I think to be a good soprano sound in musicals, because I think that’s being lost. It’s partly due to something called the Estill technique, which has its uses, but it’s making everybody sound a bit the same. (...) You don’t get the two different colours. It’s important to keep that soprano sound because it says something, whether it’s a certain refinement, or a different kind of purity, or a virginity. Whatever you read into that sound, it’s important that we don’t lose it and that it all doesn’t become a little bit too chesty, a little bit too belty, a little bit too twangy, and sound like everybody else.

That's interesting. I've never heard of the Estill technique, but hooray for her to maintain the classical soprano instead of the generic "musical" voice. The latter is indeed "like everybody else". I'm glad that she mentions Gina Beck as one of those keeping the pure, classical sound. I agree.

This is one of the least snarky interviews I've read on Rebecca Caine in recent years. I used to think her snarkiness was refreshing, but it became a bit boring after some months. So reading her actual thoughts on stuff she knows best was interesting. I can only envy those having her as their tutor and mentor. Thanks for sharing, ladygodiva.

I agree with nearly everything she says as well, and I def. see her comments in relation to Phantom too; I remember watching an interview with the OLC Carlotta, Rosemary Ashe and she talked a bit about how the opening verse in Hannibal is sung was much to her doing, she said she always enjoyed doing soaring high notes and just decided to show off her voice, not knowing what a pain it'd be for actress' following after her in the role LOL
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:03 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:
operafantomet wrote:"I think only the original cast actually knows what they contributed. I mean, all the moves that are being done to this day at the Queen’s were improvised 25 years ago. I put in all those high notes for Cossette, all those floated high notes, Michael and Frances worked out the harmony that they did. Patti LuPone put that climbing scale into I Dreamed a Dream; I remember her coming in one afternoon and saying, ‘Can I do this?’ and they said yes. "

I agree with nearly everything she says as well, and I def. see her comments in relation to Phantom too; I remember watching an interview with the OLC Carlotta, Rosemary Ashe and she talked a bit about how the opening verse in Hannibal is sung was much to her doing, she said she always enjoyed doing soaring high notes and just decided to show off her voice, not knowing what a pain it'd be for actress' following after her in the role LOL

Operafantomet, I somewhat agree regarding most of Rebecca Caines interviews being on the snarky side, but I did love the posted interview. I once saw an iterview on the web somewhere around 2004 Rebecca Caine said regarding Micheal Crawford that she did'nt feel that Michael treated her very warmly, but she did learn a lot onstage as well as backstage from him. (I am a fan of his but I understand that it is different when you work with someone.I absolutely love Jillian Lynne but apparently if I were one of the dancers in Phantom I would be singing a different tune, )

and when Rebecca was in Toronto with Colm Wikenson, Colm said on a Canadian tv chat show, that she was just another actress who plays Christine)

and I had heard about the interview with Rosemary Ashe, I never saw it but I heard about it. so it was refreshing to hear about some of it again,

In Working in the Theatre there was an interview with Michael Crawford, Patti Coheour and Judy Kaye, Judy Kaye spoke of going to London to see the Phantom and then talking to Rosemary Ashe, Rosemary Ashe said to Judy, "It is not all the Top notes but all the sustained "Ds" that get to you.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Oh wow, love that interview! It's so cool to hear about what the original London production was like. And I hadn't really thought about it, but I see what Rebecca meant about the original cast having more influence over the final outcome of the show than the audience may ever be aware of. That's one of the neat things about live theatre.

Heh, so random update... According to a post on Hugh Jackman's Twitter, filming of the LM movie began last Thursday. Apparently, the release date has been pushed back one week and it's now set for release on December 14th, meaning it'll be competing directly with The Hobbit. Gutsy move by Universal, so let's hope it'll work out for them.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Seems like there's a lot of overlap in those two films' audiences, so might be wise to push it back yet another week or two.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Unless they plan on doing a limited release in order to secure 2012 award eligibility, with wider release happening a few weeks down the line....

Les Mis or The Hobbit? Decisions, decisions...

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't give a rip about The Hobbit, so I'll be at Les Mis on opening night for sure, unless plans dictate otherwise. When is the deadline for Oscar eligibility?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 pm

I believe the only qualification is that the movie is playing in at least one movie theater in Los Angeles before December 31st, so there's quite a bit of wiggle room. (Knowing that, I'm kinda surprised more movies don't wait until the last minute... Then again, they probably don't want to push it.)

Being both a die-hard Tolkien nut and LM fan, I think I might try to catch both on the first weekend. My ideal scenario would have been for LM to debut before Election Day, but in this case, that would probably result in a rushed and slipshod film, so I'm fine with waiting. (Actually, my true ideal would have been for it to be filmed in French and then dubbed for international release, but hey. Maybe I'm just strange... and CamMac wants to promote it as a British musical, after all. Laughing)

Last edited by IamErik771 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
IamErik771
IamErik771

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Eh, no French, merci. But, yeah, it would've been cool as a pre-election movie. I remember walking across my college campus the night before the '04 election, and the bell tower was ringing Do You Hear the People Sing? Liberals FTW. Laughing
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:37 pm

That's pretty cool! Right around the '08 election, community theatre productions of both LM and Miss Saigon were playing in my town. I saw Saigon (which was great) but couldn't get tickets to LM. I did get to chat with Peter Lockyer when he was about to start rehearsals for Valjean in that production, though.

[/random tangent]
IamErik771
IamErik771

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:23 pm

From the Courier Mail. The first pic of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/confidential/hugh-jackman-barely-recognisable-on-the-set-of-tom-hoopers-new-film-version-of-les-miserables/story-e6freq7o-1226305643686

Wow. I like!
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Awesome! Can't wait for December.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

He looks great, and I've no doubt his Valjean will "clean up" very nicely. I agree, December cannot come fast enough.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm SO excited. I wish he had longer hair in this scene though. Sad
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Viscountess wrote:I'm SO excited. I wish he had longer hair in this scene though. Sad
Prisoners now generally have to have close-cropped hair, and I imagine they've done historical research to suggest they would have shaved their heads then...and in a very quick, uneven way, which is cool.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Found more pics.

Don't know where they were from originally, but I reblogged them:

http://phantom-media.tumblr.com/post/19636003236/first-look-at-behind-the-scenes-of-les
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Colm!
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Who is that on the top right?

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Presumably a constable who apprehends Valjean. Seems they're filming those scenes first. Wonder if they're shooting roughly in chronological order.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Ah, that makes sense--I didn't think it looked like a named character/actor I recognized.

I don't know about chronological order (which would be neat considering the long journey Valjean and Javert go on) but I can see why they'd film the prologue first, especially with the hack-job shaved head (which I think looks terrific; you get the sense it was chopped off by some guard who had to shave a whole line of convicts and didn't care how the results looked).

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks to tumblr, a video has been posted of Jackman getting his yellow ticket of leave. You can hear him sing just a bit:

Taken from: http://ccosette.tumblr.com/post/19730212814/miserables-movie-update-of-the-day-first-video-of

Here's the direct youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DjvhTXVZROs

Is it me, or does Jackman look a bit like a Jedi in that robe? Laughing

(Kind of amusing. We are getting more information regarding the Les Miz movie leaked than the POTO 25th tour. scratch )
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Heh, I just came here to post that, but PhantomsGhost beat me to the punch! Is it so weird that that one note has me hopping up and down in my chair with anticipation? And I like the churchyard setting (nice and symbolic).

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:52 pm

That's not him GETTING the ticket; it's him tearing it up as he sings the end of his soliloquy. "Another story must begin...." Awesome to see.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Here's some stills of the same scene, including a couple great shots of him hurling the ticket of leave in the air.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:(Kind of amusing. We are getting more information regarding the Les Miz movie leaked than the POTO 25th tour. scratch )
...and the tour has premiered, while the movie is still in filming... Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum