Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  Raphael Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Happy Birthday Phantom!!! Make sure to get a vasectomy so you don't have any offspring (oops, too late!)

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Raphael wrote:Happy Birthday Phantom!!! Make sure to get a vasectomy so you don't have any offspring (oops, too late!)

R.

lol!

Happy 23rd, PHANTOM! Very Happy
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Happy 23rd Phantom. And here is to 23 more cheers
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Happy birthday Phantom!! Was anyone at the anniversary show?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:07 pm

Raphael wrote:Happy Birthday Phantom!!! Make sure to get a vasectomy so you don't have any offspring (oops, too late!)

R.

LOL! Oh dear... you know, it's that age. 23 can just be so tricky.

Wink

~Rebecca
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Rebecca wrote:

R.

LOL! Oh dear... you know, it's that age. 23 can just be so tricky.

Wink

~Rebecca

Even Phantom needs to sow some wild oats. Razz

Happy Birthday POTO!
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:49 am

Happy birthday, POTO! *confetti*
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:46 am

Helen wrote:Happy birthday Phantom!! Was anyone at the anniversary show?
I think Jeanette and Lyndsay were there. I wonder if there were some celebration other than cake?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 am

R.
Laughing The Phantom in the sequel looks and acts like he's about 23, maybe younger.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:47 pm

operafantomet wrote:
I think Jeanette and Lyndsay were there. I wonder if there were some celebration other than cake?

I was there with Jeanette and Lindsay and some others. There was cake, a speech from Ramin and then singing Happy Birthday. Cast & crew had a party in the theatre bar. Very Happy

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Apparently Stephen John Davis is on tonight in the title role. Is he one of the new understudies? Not familiar with the name. Anyone fancy going and reporting back? Wink
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Clare Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Stephen John Davis did indeed go on twice today. I was in town with friends and managed to get a ticket for this evening. He's the second understudy, usually plays Buquet. Perhaps the standby Nigel is on holiday. Stephen's been in Phantom in the past, also in Les Miz for a while. I believe today was his first two performances as Phantom though and I think he did a wonderful job. He has a very strong voice and really impressed me, especially in the Final Lair. Smile

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Scorp wrote:Apparently Stephen John Davis is on tonight in the title role. Is he one of the new understudies? Not familiar with the name. Anyone fancy going and reporting back? Wink

If I didn't live so far away, I'd have been there in a shot! I saw Stephen play Javert in Les Mis once. His voice is beautiful and he's a good actor too.

Stephen John Davis did indeed go on twice today. I was in town with friends and managed to get a ticket for this evening. He's the second understudy, usually plays Buquet. Perhaps the standby Nigel is on holiday. Stephen's been in Phantom in the past, also in Les Miz for a while. I believe today was his first two performances as Phantom though and I think he did a wonderful job. He has a very strong voice and really impressed me, especially in the Final Lair.

You're so lucky getting to see him. I hope he's on next time I go, I'd love to see him play Phantom.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:17 am

Clare wrote:Stephen John Davis did indeed go on twice today. I was in town with friends and managed to get a ticket for this evening. He's the second understudy, usually plays Buquet. Perhaps the standby Nigel is on holiday. Stephen's been in Phantom in the past, also in Les Miz for a while. I believe today was his first two performances as Phantom though and I think he did a wonderful job. He has a very strong voice and really impressed me, especially in the Final Lair. Smile

Ahh...as in new Scottish Buquet? In that case I have seen him (as Buquet, not as The Phantom).

What's his Phantom like in style? I've heard good things about Nigel Richards and would be very interested to see him, especially as I've heard he marks a return to the traditional older and operatic Phantoms of the past.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:26 am

Scorp wrote:What's his Phantom like in style? I've heard good things about Nigel Richards and would be very interested to see him, especially as I've heard he marks a return to the traditional older and operatic Phantoms of the past.
THAT has a great appeal to me... bom
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MCfan Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Saw the show for the first time in two years last week. Thought the cast were very good except I didn't like Raoul (or the managers) as found him to be smarmy, a bit patronising and thought they could at least have a Raoul who could do the steps in Masquerade. Also seemed to be trying to be Michael Xavier 2.0 at times. I liked Ramin's rockier interpretation of the role and Gina is an incredibly beautiful, talented Christine. The Managers were a disappointment, I didn't feel they had chemistry or the comic timing required for the parts. I also felt their comedy was falling flat at times. Not much else to say on them. Madame Giry (Nicky?) was very good, I preferred her to the last Giry i saw. Piangi and Carlotta were both extremely talented performers and had excellent chemistry. However, I always find Meg forgettable so shouldn't complain but thought they could at least get a Meg who could be heard she was constantly being drowned out by the other members of the cast. Very beautiful though and looked the part.

MCfan

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am

I'm not even going to reply what I was going to... all I am going to say is some posts, and not just the previous one, really seem to have a hateful undertone to them on here. I don't know if it's just because this is a forum and I can't tell the tone but that's what I think.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I have to pick you up on the Michael Xavier comment... he almost certainly is not trying to be Michael Xavier at any point considering he hadn't seen, and didn't know, the show before getting the role and to quote him "so he didn't have any other portrayal in his head." He's been compared to Robert Finlayson too, these things happen but it isn't as you have said as if he is going out to be identical.

Also for the record and just my opinion the managers have much improved over the last few months and it's been a long time since I've ever see Simon mess up in Masquerade (January to be precise.) Do agree that Gina and Emma are both very pretty though!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Gareth Snook and Barry James are two of the best actors to have taken the roles in years, when they are on form they are excellent, although I have seen them looking very bored.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  MCfan Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 pm

I found Barry and Gareth just didn't have the comic timing right and didn't seem to bounce off each other as others have done. I returned this week after by chance seeing it was an understudy for Raoul called Will, I found him very good.

MCfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:55 pm

I would love to see it in London. Maybe I will have a chance in a couple of years. Though I will admit I like the American versions of the costumes better Smile
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  THEFISH<3 Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 pm

MCfan wrote:I found Barry and Gareth just didn't have the comic timing right and didn't seem to bounce off each other as others have done. I returned this week after by chance seeing it was an understudy for Raoul called Will, I found him very good.

Thats interesting to hear, i thought he was a little wooden
THEFISH<3
THEFISH<3

Back to top Go down

Post  MCfan Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:02 pm

THEFISH<3 wrote:
MCfan wrote:I found Barry and Gareth just didn't have the comic timing right and didn't seem to bounce off each other as others have done. I returned this week after by chance seeing it was an understudy for Raoul called Will, I found him very good.

Another Simon Bailey obsessive? In what way did you find Will wooden then, as I am mature and open enough to other peoples opinions. I thought his voice was excellent and it was nice to see a traditional Raoul.

MCfan

Back to top Go down

Post  THEFISH<3 Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:26 pm

MCfan wrote:
THEFISH<3 wrote:

Another Simon Bailey obsessive? In what way did you find Will wooden then, as I am mature and open enough to other peoples opinions. I thought his voice was excellent and it was nice to see a traditional Raoul.

You say your open and mature, yet label me a "Simon Bailey obsessive"?
If you must know my favourite Raoul was Alex Rathgeber, but i do enjoy Simon's interpretation a lot. I like the contrast between what i saw from Alex and what i have seen from Simon.
For me Will kept the same facial expression a lot throughout the show, i think with practice he will be a very good Raoul, just needs to work on bits of his acting.

Am i to believe your a "Will Barratt Obsessive" ?
Oh would it be wrong of me to put labels on people i dont know....like i dont know pompous idiot ?
THEFISH<3
THEFISH<3

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:47 pm

*Giggle, I'm so immature*
In other news... my mum saw Katy as Christine last night, she was very impressed!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  MCfan Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I am neither a Will Barratt obsessive nor a pompous idiot as you put it. I merely gave my opinion on one performer. Michael Xavier was my favourite Raoul and I felt in watching Simon's way of playing the character they had very similar traits and I cannot remember which part it was, but I remember thinking I had seen Michael do the same thing. I brought up the issue that, to me, it felt as though Simon was taking parts of Michael's performance and interpreting them into his on. This was in no way meant as a criticism, my criticism was that I felt Simon appears to aloof throughout the majority of the show. This was most noticeable in the Little Lotte portion in the dressing room, he seemed to patronise Christine throughout. It also carried on into The Rooftop where he appeared to be dismissing everything she was saying. I am aware this is partly down to the wording of the song but it was also partly down to the way Simon delivers his lines. And, just so that my post does not get attacked once again for being too negative, or hateful, I can't remember which I was accused of Simon gave the best Final Lair I have seen.

MCfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:13 pm

MCfan wrote:Michael Xavier was my favourite Raoul and I felt in watching Simon's way of playing the character they had very similar traits and I cannot remember which part it was, but I remember thinking I had seen Michael do the same thing

I thought that too the first time I saw Simon. Some of the things he did reminded me a lot of Michael Xavier. Of course there were differences too, as you pointed out. Simon's Raoul is a lot more aloof, and I think a bit more aggressive in parts such as Final Lair. I didn't really mind the similarities, though, since I loved Michael's Raoul.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

The similarity can just as well be due to the house director and how he/she wants the role to be portrayed. A specific move both Xavier and Bailey does, can be due to the instructors directions, and a specific approach to a scene can be due to directing.

Of course, as performers get to play the role regularly for some time, they'll develop their own style and add their own traits.

Has West End Phantom gotten a new brochure yet? I quite liked the style of the Karimloo/Beck/Bailey one, I wonder if they'll keep the new on in a similar style. Probably, but you never know. And aaaagh, I'm fearing lots of purple!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:40 pm

operafantomet wrote: And aaaagh, I'm fearing lots of purple!

Please, no more purple!
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Stephen John Davis (normally Buquet) was on as The Phantom recently and apparently as Firmin too (despite not having rehearsed the second act for the latter part!). Here's a pic:

The London production 1 - Page 3 Image

Did anyone go see him in either role? How was he?

In other news, Gina Beck is making very positive comments about David Shannon's rehearsals for the title role. I can't wait to see a new London Phantom don the mask!
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  MCfan Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 pm

According to a friend who went on Wednesday he gave an excellent performance as Firmin and they did not know until I told them about your post that he had not even rehearsed Act Two. They said that they definitely preferred him to Barry James and that he had a nice, strong voice.

MCfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next