Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

+61
phantom5251
Riene
RichardN86
Irina de France
ChristineDaae1982
Phantomess
Scorp
todaaefor
mesadallas
demonsmoke
Countess of Rothes
MarySkater
SenorSwanky
LadyCDaae
jennyfair
FdelOpera
Bric
Modern Myth
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
lonely nightingale
MasqPhan
Brandon1351
Phantour
Paula74
stephantom53
phantom10906
ladygodiva
CrimsonAvenger
Mme Reyer
EarlFan
London-Phan
sk8phan
justin-from-barbados
NightRachel
Raphael
operafantomet
Callie Daae
Masqueradelove
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
AngelOfMusic325
Becky
AlwaysChristine
purplehaze93
Viscountess
InkedAlchemist
robhawkins
Cape Twirl of Doom
ravnquest1
phan101
alaron
ML6
Reverie
thegenuinebeauty
MajesticPhantom
mona lisa
Stephanie
auctioneer
Madame Giry
Phantom on a Budget
alaron4
StrangerThanUDreamt
65 posters

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 23 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 pm

The tour was in a nearby city earlier this month, and I didn't even go see it. Instead, one Saturday afternoon, I went to the venue right before the matinee and bought two tickets to Wicked, which is coming in January (not a fan of the show, but my gf is, and my HS classmate is the principal Elphaba).
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 23 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Here's a collection of videos featuring Chris Mann and Katie Travis, for the curious. Overall not bad, but hopefully Mann will rein in the pop inflections....

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  demonsmoke Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:03 am

I just watched the tour at the Saenger Theater in New Orleans. This was my 3rd time seeing Phantom live as my parents brought me to watch it at the Saenger in the mid 90's and I watched in in Houston  around 10 years ago.

First, I must give praise to Julia Udine as Christine.  I was thoroughly impressed with her. Her voice was tremendous as Christine.  I loved the way she portrayed Christine as a shy, naive girl.   Can't say enough good things about her.  I will put her as the best Christine I have ever seen live and one of my favorites overall.

I lived Ben Jacoby's voice and enjoyed his portrayal of Raoul. Cooper Grodin did well as the Phantom, he didn't have the strongest voice I've ever heard but did a good job with the Role. I enjoyed the chemistry between Ben, Julia and Cooper and thought they worked well together.

The rest of the cast was quite good as well.  No one had anything I can really complain about.  Julia Udine definitely stole the show in my opinion.

I've heard negative things about this new production and I found that I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the show, possibly more-so than the original tour.  I found all of the complaints to be unfounded and do not agree at all with the harsh criticism this tour has received from some fans.  The sets were very elaborate and the transitions between the scenes were quite impressive.  

Can't say enough good things about the show.  No one walked out of the show, it got a standing ovation at the end and everyone at intermission was very positive about the show.

I highly recommend going watch the show if you get a chance.

The Saenger in New Orleans is a fantastic venue that really adds to the Phantom.  Enjoyed this showing more than any other I have been to and will definitely go watch the tour again when I get a chance.

demonsmoke

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 23 Empty Planning to see POTO when it Arrives In Los Angeles...

Post  ChristineDaae1982 Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:21 am

... However, is it worth seeing & placing my monies down for good seating for Cameron Mackintosh's newest US touring production?? I have heard extremely mixed reviews about the new POTO & was curious & inquiring. I've also "heard" that Christine does NOT kiss Erik at the end of the new touring production. It's more like a "peck on Erik's malformed lips," rather than the "kiss" one witnessed in the old Touring Production. Could someone please clear this up for me?? Also, any Phans from the boards going to attend (if it's actually worth attending) & when so that I may meet up with them??

Thank you ~

~ ChristineDaae1982
ChristineDaae1982
ChristineDaae1982

Back to top Go down

Post  mesadallas Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 pm

I have tickets to see it when it comes to Phoenix, Arizona the first week of June. I was able to get tickets right smack in the middle of the Grand Tier in the first row! My entire family wanted to go so we were able to get the group rate of $78.00 per ticket months before they went on sale to the general public. The same seats are now going for around $130.00 per ticket.

I'm so excited! This will be my second time seeing it but it will be the first for the rest of my family.

mesadallas

Back to top Go down

Post  MarySkater Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:09 pm

There's a set of photos here showing the process of Howard McGillin's makeup being applied.
http://www.broadway.com/shows/the-phantom-of-the-opera/photos/masked-man-howard-mcgillins-phantom-transformation/

Some of the pictures were taken via the mirror, so you have to get used to the deformity swapping sides. Surprised

Mary
MarySkater
MarySkater

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 am

SenorSwanky wrote:Can someone remind me what Kaley's alternate schedule is?
Monday and Thursday matinee.

Saw the show in NYC a few days ago with Norm, MMP, and Jeremy Hays.  Great show.  Loved certain aspects of Norm's take on Phantom, didn't love other aspects, but overall really happy I got to see him in the role, and would happily see him again.  Definitely the richest sounding MOTN ever.  Really enjoyed MMP as well.  

Also, Electric Portcullis.  It happened.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarySkater Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Phantom on a Budget wrote:Also, Electric Portcullis.  It happened.

Can you explain that, please?

Mary
MarySkater
MarySkater

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:48 pm

MarySkater wrote:
Phantom on a Budget wrote:Also, Electric Portcullis.  It happened.

Can you explain that, please?

Mary
It's when something goes wrong with the Punjab lasso in Final Lair, and Raoul is "stuck" on the portcullis by some magic force to keep him restrained.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarySkater Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Thank you, PoaB! I haven't seen that happen.

I'd never wish an accident on a live stage show, but if it happens, it's great to see a good recovery. Like the video link which was posted on the old forum, of the time when Joseph Buquet missed his entrance when he should have been frightening the ballet girls, and Meg delivered his lines instead.

Mary
MarySkater
MarySkater

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:26 am

Phantom on a Budget wrote:
Thought that was still the case, but somewhere it was mentioned that could change when Julia Udine joins.

Does BroadwayBox do discounts post-Christmas? So far they only run through 12/20, and I'm hoping to see it 12/29.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Just announced via Facebook...

James Barbour will be taking over the role of The Phantom after Norm's departure.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:29 pm

That's...interesting.

I saw the show December 29th. I thought Norm was very good in parts (his MOTN is definitely one of the best, his AIAOY Reprise is superb, and he's got a nice voice in PONR), but underwhelming in the Final Lair, which is crucial to me. Seemed to be a bit of a low-energy cast that night. But there were some great moments, and Kaley was phenomenal.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Some Broadway news -- After Norm Lewis's final performance as the Phantom on February 7th, James Barbour will be taking over the role. I'm a bit conflicted; I like Barbour's voice a lot when he doesn't glottal too much, and liked him in all the stage casts I've heard/seen recordings of him in. Didn't really care for him on Frank Wildhorn's Dracula studio album, though, because he sounded too American there (and thanks to fan videos on YouTube being my first exposure to those tracks, I always picture Gerard Butler from Dracula 2000 when I hear Barbour in the role... Doesn't help much. Laughing ).

More than that, though, learning of the criminal accusation/conviction a few years ago has made it feel awkward for me to listen to him in anything since then. Details about that are on the "Personal Life" section of his Wikipedia page, for those who wish to know.

EDIT: Ah, didn't notice the earlier post about this news.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Paula74 wrote:Just announced via Facebook...

James Barbour will be taking over the role of The Phantom after Norm's departure.

Thanks for posting this news!

Hmmm...I've seen James Barbour in other shows: Jane Eyre, 1776 (at the Papermill Playhouse), A Tale of Two Cities, and in video footage from when he was the Beast in Disney's Beauty & the Beast. I've always liked him as a performer, and I think he's got a great voice -- very powerful. Hopefully he'll make a good Phantom. I'll think about if I'll be going to see him in the show or not. Smile
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Might this be another nail in Rebecca's coffin?

I feel so bad that although I know him by name, I've never seen him or heard him sing, Youtube time for sure

Im just thrilled I 'might' get a chance to see Norm before he leaves
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Having youtubed Barbour's MOTN, i think he sounds great. I'll be at Norm's last show and Barbour's first, I think he might make a great Phantom.
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 pm

in his youtube clip every so often there are hints of something like what Davis Gaines brought to the role vocally, it would be awesome if he could bring more of that out in his voice. But either way he has a powerful voice, cant wait to hear him
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  LiQuiD DiAmOnD Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:19 am

SenorSwanky wrote:
Phantom on a Budget wrote:
Thought that was still the case, but somewhere it was mentioned that could change when Julia Udine joins.

is this still the case? i'm possibly going to NY end of march/early april, and would love to see kaley! i think i saw julia udine in chicago on the tour already.

LiQuiD DiAmOnD

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:02 am

http://www.news-press.com/story/entertainment/2015/01/22/new-phantom-opera-swoops-fort-myers/22172939/

These sorts of articles are coming regularly out of the US press these days. Do these journalists have their own thoughts at all, or do they just act as mouthpieces for Cameron?

This particular article makes my blood boil because of how much of it is patently untrue. I wish they would STOP pretending that this production was conceived because Phantom was in need of some update and just admit that it's because the Prince/Björnson production is too expensive now for Cameron to bother touring. The characters are not in the slightest more "relatable" now, this isn't "grittier", whatever the hell that means, and how anyone can think this production has a "more cinematic flow" than Hal Prince's direction is beyond me.

I would be more generous to the production if it were less boastful and stopped making these ridiculous claims.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  todaaefor Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Scorp wrote:http://www.news-press.com/story/entertainment/2015/01/22/new-phantom-opera-swoops-fort-myers/22172939/

These sorts of articles are coming regularly out of the US press these days. Do these journalists have their own thoughts at all, or do they just act as mouthpieces for Cameron?

This particular article makes my blood boil because of how much of it is patently untrue. I wish they would STOP pretending that this production was conceived because Phantom was in need of some update and just admit that it's because the Prince/Björnson production is too expensive now for Cameron to bother touring. The characters are not in the slightest more "relatable" now, this isn't "grittier", whatever the hell that means, and how anyone can think this production has a "more cinematic flow" than Hal Prince's direction is beyond me.

I would be more generous to the production if it were less boastful and stopped making these ridiculous claims.

My grandma (a 30 or 40+ time veteran of the Prince / Bjornson version) saw the tour in Ft. Myers last week and echoed the above as well as the general commentary from people who are even remotely familiar with the original. She likened it to a quite-good college production, with immensely talented singers in the principal roles, but that the show was downright bad (even laughable) at times, particularly the second act. She could tolerate it if only to hear the score in a large theatre, but doesn't think this show would survive if there wasn't such a strong or loyal following of the show due to the original.

todaaefor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:12 pm

todaaefor wrote:
Scorp wrote:http://www.news-press.com/story/entertainment/2015/01/22/new-phantom-opera-swoops-fort-myers/22172939/

My grandma (a 30 or 40+ time veteran of the Prince / Bjornson version) saw the tour in Ft. Myers last week and echoed the above as well as the general commentary from people who are even remotely familiar with the original. She likened it to a quite-good college production, with immensely talented singers in the principal roles, but that the show was downright bad (even laughable) at times, particularly the second act. She could tolerate it if only to hear the score in a large theatre, but doesn't think this show would survive if there wasn't such a strong or loyal following of the show due to the original.

That slightly restores my faith in humanity...

I have since discovered that the author of the above-linked article hadn't even seen the show when that was written. So the whole "grittier", "more cinematic" (?!?!), "more relatable" BS is completely unsubstantiated. This journalist literally just wrote what Cameron et al told him to. My blood continues to boil.

A lot of the UK reviewers who praised this production (which was even worse in the UK) were obviously unfamiliar with the Prince/Björnson production, which frankly astounds me given how iconic and long-running it is. It baffles me that so many in the States could also be so unfamiliar with the original too.

I am, though, now convinced by the hearsay that the Vegas production was closed under Mackintosh's pressure to make way for this. Can you imagine this being reviewed at all favourably by West Coast reviewers with the Vegas production running nearby?!

Has this tour played anywhere near NYC yet? Surely the reviewers there would know the Broadway production...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Keep in mind that this isn't so much a "review" as it is a puff piece interviewing people attached to the production--who will, of course, talk up their version as much as they can. It's not objective, nor is it intended to be. I agree it's frustrating hearing all the implied and explicit "Oh, it's so much better than that dusty old thing playing on Broadway!" though....

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:28 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:Keep in mind that this isn't so much a "review" as it is a puff piece interviewing people attached to the production--who will, of course, talk up their version as much as they can.  It's not objective, nor is it intended to be.  I agree it's frustrating hearing all the implied and explicit "Oh, it's so much better than that dusty old thing playing on Broadway!" though....

~LCD

Oh, I get that - but what annoys me is that it doesn't even say that the "Oh, it's so much better..." stuff is from the mouths of those working in the tour and/or Cammie. It's written as if it's the journalist's opinion (see the sentences: "The characters are more relatable" and something about the production being "more cinematic"), which I later found out couldn't even be the case, because he hadn't seen the show when this was written.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 am

Saw the Broadway sow this past Saturday with Norm and Julia, was thrilled as I was not sure I would be able to catch him in it at all since he leaves soon. Had a seat at the back so can't comment on acting but vocally everyone was on point, I do love Julia's voice and Norm's final lair was very moving (no over the top shouting or hysterics, thank you very much) Odd thing, the way he crawls along the floor in 'stranger' is very unusual and I thought quite brilliant. I guess he has tremendous upper body strength as his legs do not move at all and he does it in pieces in time with the music. I also loved how at the end he ran up to the portculis with the veil and not just stood there as they rowed off, very touching.

There were a few minor sound issues, particularly during the overture where the speaker above my head kept looking feed for the overture track, but otherwise I could hear every instrument clearly.

Im still amazed how after 27 years everything still works so well. Was also glad to see an almost full house for a saturday matinee in that sort of weather

Couldn't really get a good look at how the makeup might have been changed colour wise to suit his skin tone but it looked good from where I sat.

He is also such a nice guy when you meet him in person. Since the Monday anniversary was snowed out, they celebrated with one of their pizza parties on stage the Saturday night so I was lucky to go back for that after I went to see the 8pm show of Aladdin.

I know there is alot of backlash for the new guy but every one over at the Majestic is very supportive and I am looking forward to seeing him perform (he is there for about a year I believe)
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Is anyone able to verify if this list of the principal Broadway Phantoms from the beginning of the run up to the present day is correct? Is anyone missing? Are the dates all correct?

Michael Crawford - 9 January 1988
Timothy Nolen - 10 October 1988
Cris Groenendaal - 20 March 1989
Steve Barton - 19 March 1990
Kevin Gray - 3 December 1990
Mark Jacoby - 22 February 1991
Marcus Lovett - 24 May 1993
Davis Gaines - 4 July 1994
Thomas James O'Leary - 11 October 1996
Hugh Panaro - 1 February 1999
Howard McGillin - 23 August 1999
Hugh Panaro (return) - 14 April 2003
Howard McGillin (return) - 3 October 2005
John Cudia - 27 July 2009
Hugh Panaro (return) - 7 September 2010
Norm Lewis - 12 May 2014
James Barbour - 9 February 2015

Thanks to anyone who can help... But I need more help with the list of London Phantoms - click here.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:32 am

Looks right to me.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Peter Joback is missing.

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Totally forgot he had that short run in the middle of Hugh's third (fourth?) run in the show. Probably because he was a forgettable Phantom.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:01 pm

From what I've heard of Barbour so far, he sounds phenomenal vocally. Can't tell how he is acting-wise yet. I love his Mirror scene and MOTN. PONR and FL could use some work, but he's got time to grow.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next