Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Savident

5 posters

Go down

John Savident Empty John Savident

Post  bennyboy Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi,

I was reading somewhere that the original Monsieur Firman, John Savident was fired after 6 months in the role. Does anyone know why? I've read a few interviews/memoirs etc from various cast members who don't have a lot of good to say about him. Can anyone shed any light on this?

bennyboy

Back to top Go down

John Savident Empty Re: John Savident

Post  Scorp Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 am

I knew Savident was in the role for a very short time but didn't realise he was fired. Haven't got a clue as to why, though. Keep us updated if you find out. Pity, as he remains one of my favourite Firmins based on what I do know of his performance.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyboy Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

From what I understand he annoyed Hal Prince by refusing to be in the background of any of the other scenes in the show. Particular the auction at the beginning. If you look at some of the early photos David Firth and Mary Millar are in the auction scene at the beginning and then quick change for the Hannibal rehearsal scenes. By all accounts Savident refused to do this for some reason.

I remember reading Rosemary Ashe saying "when John Savident was fired" when she was talking about having cocktails and cakes between shows with the other cast members sixth months in to the run.

I too look back at Savident's performance as Firman as one of my favourites but maybe that is because he appears on the London Cast Album.

bennyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 pm

bennyboy wrote:From what I understand he annoyed Hal Prince by refusing to be in the background of any of the other scenes in the show. Particular the auction at the beginning. If you look at some of the early photos David Firth and Mary Millar are in the auction scene at the beginning and then quick change for the Hannibal rehearsal scenes. By all accounts Savident refused to do this for some reason.

I remember reading Rosemary Ashe saying "when John Savident was fired" when she was talking about having cocktails and cakes between shows with the other cast members sixth months in to the run.

I too look back at Savident's performance as Firman as one of my favourites but maybe that is because he appears on the London Cast Album.

Interesting. That would definitely explain the firing.

Where did you read those reminiscences by Rosie Ashe?
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyboy Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

It was in Marcus Tylor's book, "The First Year Backstage".

bennyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 pm

bennyboy wrote:I too look back at Savident's performance as Firman as one of my favourites but maybe that is because he appears on the London Cast Album.
I think that is my love for him too. I have no idea how he actually was on stage, but the original managers on the OLC definitely set a standard for how I rate later managers.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  phan101 Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 pm

John was a part of a big time soap drama here in the UK called 'coronation Street' playing a butcher called Fred, he was in it for many years but didn't realise it was him until I read up on his credits.

I agree, I also judge managers closely to that of the original cast.
phan101
phan101

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Wasn't there someone on the forum that posted something saying he was related to John?
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down