Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

+46
London-Phan
Bunvendor
justin1976
eriklefantome
vmkwinner
AlwaysChristine
Miss von Krolock
Klavirista
Devon
LadyCDaae
TheFinnishPhantom
Phinnish Phan
Maya
Cape Twirl of Doom
Phantomess
Mme Reyer
Vicomtesse de Chagny
ladygodiva
ML6
Mlle. Daae
ChorusGirl
Madame Giry
Scorp
Callie Daae
Rebecca
phantomphan1992
Becky
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Christine's Shadow
Stephanie
Raphael
Paula74
Phantomlove
Viscountess
MasqPhan
TGITPC
meglett
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
MlleMusique
littlelotty004
phantom10906
operafantomet
Admin
50 posters

Page 12 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 34  Next

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Loettchen Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:02 pm

phantomphan1992 wrote:I'm seriously considering starting a Wishing Gown replica this summer. Right now, I'm in the process of narrowing down the patterns I've found that could work (since goodness knows I couldn't do it without patterns). I haven't found fabric I like yet, but hopefully once I decide whether or not I'm actually going to go through with it, I can start browsing more seriously.

Does anyone have any suggestions about... well, anything?

I don't know if it's any help at all, but I made this website about my Wishing dress awhile ago. It has a lot of (probably boring) text, but it does talk about how I made the dress AND all the mistakes I made, which is even more useful! Very Happy If you have any questions about any of it, you can always ask me. Good luck with the project!

Wishing Dress Site: http://loettchen.webs.com/thewishingdress.htm
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  operafantomet Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Loettchen, that dress turned out so beautiful! I remember following the progress of it early on, but I hadn't seen those new pictures. I love how the skirt drapes at the side, and the fabric looks so right. Brava!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:25 pm

You've both been such a big help. Thank you! I've just enlisted the help of my grandmother, so she should be able to help me past any major problems.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

operafantomet wrote:Loettchen, that dress turned out so beautiful! I remember following the progress of it early on, but I hadn't seen those new pictures. I love how the skirt drapes at the side, and the fabric looks so right. Brava!

Aww, thank you! Yeah, it was my first costume ever, so the early versions of it really needed some work. But I'm much happier with it now! I'm glad I didn't give up. Every time I work on it, I tweak and fix a little more.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

operafantomet wrote:Madame, that is FANTASTIC! *le drool*

Thanks, Anea! I feel like I cheated because I didn't hand-bead the flowers but I'm pretty pleased with the effect of the appliques. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Loettchen wrote:Wishing Dress Site: http://loettchen.webs.com/thewishingdress.htm

Very gorgeous! I'm still amazed at how much talent is on this board.
(The mini-Phantom in your backstage photo was delightful as well!)

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Becky wrote:Very gorgeous! I'm still amazed at how much talent is on this board.
(The mini-Phantom in your backstage photo was delightful as well!)

Thanks! I did think that mini Phantom was an awfully cool coincidence.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:45 am

To prove that there is something like a smidgen of progress happening on the IMB gown:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_FullBasic

The 'apron' isn't sewn together yet, which is why its lopsided. And the bodice would have been pretty much finished, except that when I pinned on the corset panel, I realized nothing could cover the appalling job I'd done lacing it. So I'm redoing the panel, and that's why the bodice is still bare.

Any questions? Rolling Eyes
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 pm

MlleMusique, the colours of that costume looks so right! I love the changing pink/green appearance, very similar tot he stage costumes. The skirt looks a little narrow as of now, are you going to fluff it up later on?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Ooh, I love the colors, MlleMusique! They look perfect. That bodice really did turn out to be a great find. But I also wondered if you are going to go for a more tutu-esque look for the skirt or not? Either way, nice job! I was very excited to see a picture of it.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Il Muto ballet skirt. The colours are lovely and the fabrics so right. Great work.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks for your replies, guys! Smile

Actually, the skirt is a FULL romantic tutu...its just that the green/silver fabric over the top is heavier than the netting, so its flattening it a bit. I did a few grande battements to test the skirt....its definitely full enough!

I wish I had more time to work on this costume, but university is driving me INSANE! Can you believe, I have 15 assignments due in this 14 week semester? And I've only finished two... Crying or Very sad
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Do you have panties under the skirt? If you do did you build the "mini tutu" on it? Tutus have four-six layers of 1 1/2-3" tulle on the panties to act as a 'pannier' or 'bustle' to the actual skirt. Other wise, the skirt will weigh down and not be fluffy. Even our Degas tutu's have a "mini tutu" on the panties to support the weight of the cheese cloth and the thicker, heavier tulle. That costume even has "mini panniers" in between certain layers so we have the proper shape and "hips" in the tutu. Maybe that's what you tutu needs.
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:18 am

Here is a picture of the underskirt by itself; as you can see it's very full. Meglett, I like the sound of panniers and understand totally where you're coming from, but for practicality in being able to get it on (fitting all these skirts under the bodice) I might just leave it how it is.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_PinkUnderskirts

Also, if anyone's interested, here's a photo of my *finished* dressing gown costume, with the new fake bodice I completed today. I am SO happy with this costume; I just need an excuse to wear it now!

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_DressingGown
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:29 pm

There have been progress on the Elissa costume...

I bought 2 meters of a gorgeous golden/multicoloured paisley fabric with red ground colour (or whatever it's called). I cut it into three lengths, sew a silk ribbon on one of the ends to emulate the selfedge on the two other pieces, and sew everything together.

This gave me a 6 meter long strip.

This strip will get 4 golden trims (each of 6 meters) of different width. Many of the Christine versions in the US have multiple stripes, I think I counted 15 golden stripes in the original Vegas skirts, though I suspect some of it are in the actual fabric while some are applied trims. For many Carlotta versions in the US, however, 4 golden stripes seems to be common. And to keep costs down, I'm heading for 4 rows (24 meters of golden trims cost more than enough! Shocked ).

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_newelissahemPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_necurrentPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_possibleapron
The trims aren't THAT golden in real life... Blame the flash!

Progress so far: 3 down, one to go. And then I can start pleating. The strips is 6 meters long, the finished pleated version will probably be 2 meters. I'll attach everything before sewing it to the skirt. This will make it easier to lengthen or shorten the skirt later on, compared to when everything is applied on the actual skirt.

I also gave in and bought the insanely nice red silk fabric for the apron. Originally I planned to use the same fabric for the apron, pleated hem and backdrapes... but then I found this fantastic red silk with fuchsia/gold paisley pattern. It's very similar to what the Vegas costumes use, and drapes SO well. So I had to get it at least for the apron, and bought 1 meter (a bit too little, but I'll try to tweak it around). For the hem and backdrapes I've bought a synthetic one (see picture above), as it's cheaper and easier to pleat. I think they'll blend well.

God, I wish I hadn't planned cinema with a friend tonight. I'm in such a sewing mood!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

It looks gorgeous. Seriously, I envy your skills.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Ooh, Anéa, I hope you do use that fuchsia and gold fabric for the apron. It is so beautiful, it just must be used for something!
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:01 am

Loettchen wrote:Ooh, Anéa, I hope you do use that fuchsia and gold fabric for the apron. It is so beautiful, it just must be used for something!
Oh yes, it was intended for the apron ever since I saw it. The colour combo is so wicked! I use a cheaper substitute for the hem and the backdrapes, though - I could never afford 5+ meters of it. But the one used for hem and backdrapes blend really well.

Actually, I spent most of Saturday trying to achieve some visible progress. I worked like a maniac, to be honest... The hem now has 4 golden trims attached, and is pleated, sewn down and ironed. The apron is also finished, except for the tassels and the zig-zag appliques.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_newelissa18aprilaPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_newelissahem1

Next up is to decorate the top of the hem before attaching it to the skirt. I also need to make tons of tassels; green-golden combo for the hem, and red-golden combo for the apron. Oh, and I need a trillion red and green "gems"... It's not the main fabrics that makes this costume expensive, it's all the details and glitter and the hours of labour. silent

As usual, more here: http://aneafiles.webs.com/newelissa.html
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:18 am

(coming out of lurk-mode)

Wow Anéa, I must also drool at the results so far, of your super snazzy Elissa skirt skills! I can't wait to see it finished! It is coming along so well. Seeing your progress makes me even more eager to finally begin my ensemble. I've been slowly gathering materials since Christmas last year (such a great time for all things red, green and gold!), and I hope to find the rest of what I need at the Los Angeles fabric district this week. I decided after a failed online purchase, that I'd better try to gather more materials in-person. Or, as I like to call it, my lesson in the importance of scale: I thought these brass angels from etsy.com would be perfect for the Hannibal bodice, not realizing that they were 3 cm, not 3 inches! I wasn't looking closely enough:

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.90590134.jpg

They are pretty tiny! Oh well, guess they can go somewhere! Smile
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Chorus Girl, your small angels can go on you crotch tiara if you make one. With the help of some others I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherub-Angel-Victorian-repro-BRASS-pin-pendant-lapel_W0QQitemZ270352594407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef24535e7#ht_792wt_805
Although, I can't find the other side. It's a little expensive, but it's the exact angel you need for Hannibal. All you have to do is cut off that extra piece on the side.

Anea, I LOVE how your Elissa skirt is working out. It's beautiful.
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 am

Thanks Meglett!

Too funny... I had not heard that term before, but now I'll never forget it! Yes, I was thinking the small angels could go there, somewhere. I'll probably just end up sculpting the bodice angels, molding & casting them in resin, or something. If I do that, then I could possibly make a few for others, if needed!

Still laughing,

Addi
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 am

ChorusGirl wrote:(coming out of lurk-mode)

Wow Anéa, I must also drool at the results so far, of your super snazzy Elissa skirt skills! I can't wait to see it finished! It is coming along so well. Seeing your progress makes me even more eager to finally begin my ensemble. I've been slowly gathering materials since Christmas last year (such a great time for all things red, green and gold!), and I hope to find the rest of what I need at the Los Angeles fabric district this week. I decided after a failed online purchase, that I'd better try to gather more materials in-person. Or, as I like to call it, my lesson in the importance of scale: I thought these brass angels from etsy.com would be perfect for the Hannibal bodice, not realizing that they were 3 cm, not 3 inches! I wasn't looking closely enough:

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.90590134.jpg

They are pretty tiny! Oh well, guess they can go somewhere! Smile
Oh, that is such a pity! They are as close to the original as one can get... except for the tiny detail of the size... I hope you'll get to use them anyway, as Brianne suggested. "Crotch tiara" = the best expression ever. Everyone should have a crotch tiara... Laughing

Oh, and I SO agree about Xmas items for the Hannibal/Elissa costumes! I bought all kinds of (in my friends eyes) garish stuff, because I knew they would come in handy. The trims on the pleated hem are all Xmas ribbons, meant for gift wrapping, wreaths etc. But fake jewelry is also very suitable. I've been working on the girdle/belt for the apron, and I'm using large red Bollywood earrings as a basis. The tabs are also decorated with (disassembled) glossy earrings.

Brianne, thank you so much for the nice comment. And my make snazzy Elissa costumes yourself. The latest creation was just too lovely for words!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 am

I have done some more progress on the Elissa skirt, by the way.

Yesterday I realized that scraps from the Aminta skirt front could be used for the decorated black triangles on the Elissa apron. Thing is that the golden front of the Aminta costume is made of two layers; a black polyester satin and a golden/black lace. To continue the pointed fabric ends from other parts of the dress, I cut the bottom on the front in a pointed pattern as well. And these cut-off points are simply perfect in shape, way better than if I sat down to make new ones. I painted a hemp-like pattern in green, red and gold, based on the US costumes.

I also made "jewels" for the apron girdle/belt, based on Bollywood earrings, gold appliqués and fake gems.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_newelissaremPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_newelissajewelPhantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Th_enewelissazigzag
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:28 pm

ChorusGirl wrote:Thanks Meglett!

Too funny... I had not heard that term before, but now I'll never forget it! Yes, I was thinking the small angels could go there, somewhere. I'll probably just end up sculpting the bodice angels, molding & casting them in resin, or something. If I do that, then I could possibly make a few for others, if needed!

Still laughing,

Addi

Addi,

pm sent.

Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:49 pm

The Elissa skirt is looking better and better, Anea! Great work!

So I was cleaning my closet and found a black Edwardian coat I bought from the flea market a while back. It's a woman's, but I had the epiphany that it could also work as a Raoul Act I coat. Sooo... a little more closet raiding and...

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Raoultest_1

I'll be taking better photos later - y'know, after I iron the coat, fix the angle of the camera, get better lighting, etc. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Madame Giry wrote:The Elissa skirt is looking better and better, Anea! Great work!

So I was cleaning my closet and found a black Edwardian coat I bought from the flea market a while back. It's a woman's, but I had the epiphany that it could also work as a Raoul Act I coat. Sooo... a little more closet raiding and...

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 12 Raoultest_1

I'll be taking better photos later - y'know, after I iron the coat, fix the angle of the camera, get better lighting, etc. Smile

~Madame~

TOTALLY. Oh wow. That's almost dead on. Smile You make one snazy Raoul!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Madame, that is one awesome costume. I especially love the shirt and the scarf, but everything looks very right.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Thank you, ML6 and Anea! Very Happy

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Wow! It looks wonderful! I love it. I wish my closet held such cool stuff!
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 34  Next