Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

+53
mona lisa
Masqueradelove
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
purplehaze93
Copycat
tiawhitecat
Becky
Paula74
HerMajesty
harryzing
ette
tromp-la-mort
Callie Daae
ravnquest1
Bric
EarlFan
Viscountess
meglett
justin1976
TheFinnishPhantom
charleygirl
ifonlyidont
StrangerThanUDreamt
AlwaysChristine
London-Phan
Madame Giry
Raphael
TheMaskedLion
Helen
MasqPhan
Phantom on a Budget
PhantomsGhost
Bunvendor
starryeyed
Aled_Boyo
PridePhan
ladygodiva
Miss von Krolock
BradPhan
MajesticPhantom
MaskedLion
IamErik771
Phantomlove
Devon
SenorSwanky
PMB1034
LadyCDaae
ML6
Scorp
operafantomet
Lycanthrope
justin-from-barbados
phantom10906
57 posters

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 6 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  Madame Giry Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm

PridePhan wrote:
But when it comes to the tour I felt the first time I heard about it that it will prob look like Albert Hall. And I really don't like it, a POTO without a falling chandelier is not a real POTO.

I'm almost positive that of the things they'll be changing in the new tour, the falling chandelier will NOT be one of them. I imagine they didn't drop the RAH chandelier because of safety and logistical concerns. After all, the chandelier crash is basically the single event most widely-associated with the show. It would make no sense to change it.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 6 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd assume they wouldn't drop the chandelier.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Ooh cool to see Simon Green is Andre, he was Andre in the original uk tour back in '93!
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:59 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd assume they wouldn't drop the chandelier.
I think they will have a chandelier and a drop. But I can see why people think there might not be one. Health & safety rules, plus having a theatre that can handle it, has limited how and where it's been done in the past. I'm sure the new solution is more hi-tech and probably efficient, but if they were to cut one of the most expensive details, the chandelier would be the first to go.

Is it just me finding it odd that they've released a full cast list, even at the official site, but no mention of the role of Meg Giry and who is to play her?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:00 pm

If they can figure out a way to drop the chandelier faster like they do in Vegas, that'd be cool.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:02 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:If they can figure out a way to drop the chandelier faster like they do in Vegas, that'd be cool.
Or even at the speed of Spain and Australia. Which is like 3 times as fast as Broadway. Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm hoping there will be a practical chandelier, but if they want to hit venues that never upgraded their ceiling structure, then they'd probably have to go with a projection, which is kind of what I'm thinking they may do to try and make it cool! and different! and modern!

Watched the RAH version again this weekend, and the projections do not lend anything to the show. They don't enhance the show, doesn't make it better (or worse). At times, I found them kind annoying.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I will always, always, always prefer practical sets to projections.

PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 pm

I agree; although I found some of the projections pretty (Il Muto and the Roof of the Opera house to name a few) I dont know exactly how well it'll hold up in giving the show "depth"; In regards to the chandelier...if they're going to venues they couldnt reach before I think it's safe to say we wont have the same chandelier we've seen from years past, at least in weigth and size; also it's pretty much a given that they've had to redesign it, and I wonder what "style" we will see; I wouldnt be all too surprised if the RAH design (possibly a smaller version) is what is used in the show; regarding the crash...which I consider such an iconic moment not just in the show but in musical theatre history...I do hope they do NOT use a projection of any sort, I would rather have the 4th of July Chandelier (aka RAH fireworks) than a projection
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:I'm hoping there will be a practical chandelier, but if they want to hit venues that never upgraded their ceiling structure, then they'd probably have to go with a projection, which is kind of what I'm thinking they may do to try and make it cool! and different! and modern!

Watched the RAH version again this weekend, and the projections do not lend anything to the show. They don't enhance the show, doesn't make it better (or worse). At times, I found them kind annoying.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I will always, always, always prefer practical sets to projections.

I think it depends on what they do with the projections. For the RAH performance I thought some scenes looked pretty good (the rooftop in particular) but in others (particularly the "operas" and the Phantom's lair) it just took away from the atmosphere. Creating images of drops and curtains and candles just isn't the same thing--you need the real thing for that right air of old-fashioned romantic melodrama.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I hope to God they don't use projections for the chandelier, and use them minimally to begin with. I can see for the rooftop backdrop and maybe some cool shimmery effects in the lair, etc.--sparing enhancements of scenery rather than replacements of props and scenery.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 pm

I agree about RAH. I liked the grand sceneries like the graveyard and the rooftop. The projections worked well on outdoor settings. But the more intimate ones, like the lair, was stripped of its magic. Ditto for the mirror scene and a couple of others.

Like some of you, I hope projections are used sparse. But I fear the RAH concert was a preview of what's in store, in terms of real sets VS projections. I hope I am wrong, but economically it would make sense.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:37 am

Keep in mind that the production doesn't officially open until March, so they're probably going to rev things up in the marketing department whilst in previews later this month/early next.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 am

Given the emphasis that marketing for the new tour has placed on the redesign being 'unveiled' at the Plymouth Royal, I almost wonder if there may be confidentiality agreements in place across the board for actors, musicians, production staff, theater staff, etc. to prevent any advance images of the new design from being released.

The powers that be might be banking on the assumption that keeping the design under wraps will generate greater curiosity, interest, and ticket sales.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 am

Yeah, we're certainly speculating about it a lot. Seems like there's a lack of more general official hype though.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:13 am

Well, they're opening in Plymouth on February 27th. That's less than two weeks away.

I can understand they're not giving it all away, but ticket wise I think they would give it a solid boost by releasing a kick ass promo video or something making the internet buzz. It also builds a relation to a large group of people, to include them in the project. Having a loyal fan base backing you up means scratchy reviews have less impact. Cause then it's "you and the fans" VS the press. As of now it's them VS fans and press.

Not saying the tour will get bad reviews, though! Just trying to think as a producer/PR mind here. Basically, you want people on your side, and by achieving that you have to give something to get something.

But I assume they want to open in Plymouth first and use THAT as the promo bit to sell the rest of the tour.

Also... Why haven't they announced who Meg is? They've listed a detailed cast, starting with Raoul (!), but no mention of Meg whatsoever. She is still in the tour...? Shocked Of course she is. I just find it strange.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I've been burning out google recently and still found nothing. It also doesn;t help that unlike other designers, Paul Brown does not have a website. And for some reason, shows built in America (or by american companies) are easier to find stuff online pertaining to the design, sketches, construction photos, but nothing on this one (it's like when they were designing LND in London, just can;t find anything on it)
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:59 pm

Yeah, I think a teaser video would go a long way right now. Just 15 seconds or so. A snippet of JOJ singing something eerie and a flash of curtains or the chandelier or something.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm

RUG has posted the full touring company cast list.

The role of Meg Giry will be played by Hannah Cadec

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/news/latest-news/full-casting-announced-for-phantom-uk-tour?replytocom=4006

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

Who will see some of the first performances?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Someone asked Liesl Dowsett about the chandelier but she just said that we'd "find out in a few weeks." I think it was last week the person asked, doesn't give much away but I really think the actors aren't allowed to say a single thing about the production, the most in depth information I have is in regards to the ballet. Apparently Christine dances the full ballet (en pointe I believe) and that there's a lot more of it. I've also heard it is very "Matthew Bourne" which fills me with dread but I know lots of people just absolutely LOVE his choreography so I'm sure it'll please a lot of people.

I'm seeing the tour in Manchester and Edinburgh. I wish I'd just stuck with Edinburgh to be honest with you but curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see it early on (but not too early on.) I think it'll work out quite while anyway as I have a sneaking suspicion I'll get Olivia on the date I'm seeing it in Edinburgh and I'd really wanted to see Katie Hall at some point and I think I'm getting her in Manchester so not all bad.

I'm not sure if many of us here are going to see it, or at least not that I've heard. I know Helen was thinking about it but I think that was Edinburgh too so I guess we'll just get our information from online first in regards to the tour when it opens.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:30 pm

starryeyed wrote:Someone asked Liesl Dowsett about the chandelier but she just said that we'd "find out in a few weeks." I think it was last week the person asked, doesn't give much away but I really think the actors aren't allowed to say a single thing about the production, the most in depth information I have is in regards to the ballet. Apparently Christine dances the full ballet (en pointe I believe) and that there's a lot more of it. I've also heard it is very "Matthew Bourne" which fills me with dread but I know lots of people just absolutely LOVE his choreography so I'm sure it'll please a lot of people.
Well, I'd rather see modernistic/latin than the lame choreography from the 2004 movie. The dancers looked like they couldn't dance at all - and I'm sure all of them were trained classical ballerinas. Dancing with chains was a cool idea per se, but it mostly looked like they jumped around and sat down on the floor...

But isn't the tour opening in Plymouth in five days?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't know who Matthew Bourne is, or what his choreography is like...so I'm very curious to know what these ballet sequences will be like. But I'll miss Gillian Lynne's style.

But, if Christine is supposed to dance the whole Hannibal ballet, then that limits the women who can play the part even more. I don't know if that's a really great idea...

I guess we'll all find out on Monday what transpired....unless members of the crew talk before then. Someone's going to spill the beans. They always seem to do so.. Smile

I am curious whether or not the show has been shortened or lengthened with these changes...
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:56 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:I don't know who Matthew Bourne is, or what his choreography is like...so I'm very curious to know what these ballet sequences will be like. But I'll miss Gillian Lynne's style.

But, if Christine is supposed to dance the whole Hannibal ballet, then that limits the women who can play the part even more. I don't know if that's a really great idea...
It is how they original staged the original. Both Sarah Brightman and Maria Kesselman danced the whole ballet, dunno about Claire Moore. Christine was the lead dancer, along with Meg. And it's how they still do it in Japan. In other productions Meg is still the lead dancer, but with a random brunette dancer.

Not saying whether it's a good idea or not. Just saying it's how the original was done.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Yes, I know that it was done that way originally, but it was kind of unusual that Brightman could dance and sing as she did. It looks like it was changed so more women could play the part if even if they couldn't dance.

I want to say Rebecca Pitcher also danced en pointe but I don't remember if she dance the whole ballet or not. (it was so long ago that I saw her...). I also know others have done so throughout the years, but due to a mind that is not as sharp at it once was I couldn't tell you who it was. (hate getting older)

I found this user: https://www.youtube.com/user/PlymouthTheatreRoyal/feed

They had some clips up from rehearsals for the new POTO. Sadly, they've all been pulled. I'm keeping watch to see if they'll try to upload more.

ETA:

Found this auction if anyone wants to bid Smile:

http://auction.stageone.uk.com/itemdetails.aspx?uAuctionItemID=d2d4332d-dff2-4efc-ad95-b98b4ab07eb3
This exclusive lot includes two tickets to the opening night of the UK Tour of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/uk-tour) on Tuesday 13th March 2012 at the Theatre Royal Plymouth, access to the private after show party with the cast, and overnight accommodation!

The after show party location and hotel location are confidential and are to be confirmed only to the winning bidder.

More Edits:

John Owen-Jones' humor:
The tweet that goes with the photo "The Phantom will be much 'cooler' in the new version of the show. Here's an EXCLUSIVE shot of the new look Phantom!!!"
http://lockerz.com/s/181285073

Made me laugh. Reminds me of "Ponch" from the '70s TV show 'CHiPS' Laughing
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Does anyone know if there are set days when the alternate Christine will be on during the tour?

I'm hoping to go see it at Milton Keynes but tickets haven't gone on sale yet and I don't know when they will. London's actually easier for me to get to than all the tour places (though not quite nearer) but I really want to see the 'new' production. Have to wait all the way until October, but am slightly tempted to attempt to go see it in Manchester.

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:19 pm

So I guess they're going not only with the same costume but the same mask for the Phantom. Looks like the deformity might be different though. There're smudges of red on his ear lobe. Could just be an accident.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't know if it's a new photo, though. JOJ uploaded it recently, but I kind of wonder if it's an older photo from his HM days instead. Suspect And doing this as a joke on all us phans.

If it is a new one of him in the actual make-up, mask etc, then YAY! I love you
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:00 pm

operafantomet wrote:
starryeyed wrote:Someone asked Liesl Dowsett about the chandelier but she just said that we'd "find out in a few weeks." I think it was last week the person asked, doesn't give much away but I really think the actors aren't allowed to say a single thing about the production, the most in depth information I have is in regards to the ballet. Apparently Christine dances the full ballet (en pointe I believe) and that there's a lot more of it. I've also heard it is very "Matthew Bourne" which fills me with dread but I know lots of people just absolutely LOVE his choreography so I'm sure it'll please a lot of people.
Well, I'd rather see modernistic/latin than the lame choreography from the 2004 movie. The dancers looked like they couldn't dance at all - and I'm sure all of them were trained classical ballerinas. Dancing with chains was a cool idea per se, but it mostly looked like they jumped around and sat down on the floor...

But isn't the tour opening in Plymouth in five days?

Yes, it is, sorry as I said I think it was asked last week which would have made it a "couple of weeks" then.

And I see your point about Matthew Bourne, I was more referring to his treatment of the "classical" ballets. Especially Swan Lake and The Nutcracker in particular, I just don't care for his style very much but I know he is very popular.

In regards to the film, Liesl Dowsett herself was one of the ballet girls actually so I imagine they would all have been trained classical ballerinas such as herself. As you say, the idea was cool but the execution was looking, from memory (I haven't watched the film in years) I can't remember getting a ballet feel from the dance at all.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 pm

starryeyed wrote:I'm not sure if many of us here are going to see it, or at least not that I've heard. I know Helen was thinking about it but I think that was Edinburgh too so I guess we'll just get our information from online first in regards to the tour when it opens.

Yeah, I'm planning to see it towards the end of the Edinburgh run, once Earl takes over as Phantom.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 am

PhantomsGhost wrote:Yes, I know that it was done that way originally, but it was kind of unusual that Brightman could dance and sing as she did. It looks like it was changed so more women could play the part if even if they couldn't dance.
And oddly enough, even when they hire actresses who can dance en pointe, they still don't dance the whole thing. Kind of a waste, I think.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next