Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Phantoms

+40
purplehaze93
justin-from-barbados
mauerite#5
MajesticPhantom
AngelOfMusic325
London-Phan
ladygodiva
Trilby
LadyCDaae
ML6
Miranda
Elisabetta611
justin1976
Christine's Shadow
phantomphan1992
aussiephan
Scorp
The White Half-Mask
AngelofMusic
Callie Daae
Phantomlove
KarriesAngel
Helen
Lyndsay
Enjolras
carlottawannabe
TGITPC
Miss von Krolock
HerMajesty
Blind Phan
phantom10906
MlleMusique
SenorSwanky
MasqPhan
phantomgirl110
Raphael
IamErik771
Paula74
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
44 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Favourite Phantoms - Page 2 Empty Re: Favourite Phantoms

Post  Phantomlove Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Of the ones I've seen:

Absolute number one: The one and only Flemming Enevold.

Also top notch: Peter Jorde, Mikael Samuelson, Earl Carpenter and John-Owen Jones.

Honorouble mention: Matt Cammelle, Kiyotaka Imai, David Gaschen, Preben Kristensen, Jörn Pedersen, Davis Gaines, Dave Willetts, Ramin Karimloo.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm

MICHAEL CRAWFORD!!!!! I love you

I just saw Tim Martin Gleason and he did a "Phantastic" job!

I also like John Cudia. I hope I can see him one day!

Last edited by Callie Daae on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelofMusic Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:59 pm

My favortie phantoms are John Owen Jones, John Cudia, Ramin Karimloo*favorite phantom.
AngelofMusic
AngelofMusic

http://thinkofmephan.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  The White Half-Mask Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:36 am

My Top 5:

1. Howard McGillin
2. Michael Crawford
3. Anthony Crivello
4. John Owen-Jones
5. Gary Mauer

Honourable Mentions: Eiji Akutagawa, Stephen R. Buntrock, John Cudia, Davis Gaines, Ted Keegan, Brad Little, Peter Lockyer, Hugh Panaro, Stephen Tewksbury, Saulo Vasconcelos, Anthony Warlow, & Roy Weissensteiner
The White Half-Mask
The White Half-Mask

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:35 am

operafantomet wrote:Happy about all the Earl Carpenter love here. From the moment I saw him as standby Phantom in London I knew he was a special one. Definitely my favourite English-languaged Phantom, at least of those I've seen live. Probably of 'em all too.

I have to admit I never *quite* understood the extent of the Earl Carpenter love. For me he was good, but I found him hit and miss. There was one performance I remember (when I was coincidentally seated next to his father in the front row) where he was absolutely phenomenal, and he really impressed me on that day, and he didn't do too badly on the 20th anniversary night either, I thought. But all the other times I saw him there was something off about his performance and I found myself being more enthralled by Rachel Barrell than Earl. I guess I just found it boring and nothing to shout about. Plus he seemed to have a distinct problem with costumes every time I saw him, lol (there would always be something going wrong in the costume department). This is not to say I thought he was a bad Phantom by any means -- the fact he really impressed me during that performance I previously mentioned means that I do of course rate him -- but I'm still a bit baffled by why he was/is so loved in the role given how many 'off' performances I saw. Maybe I just missed something. He did fit the role a lot better than Ramin, though, IMHO, in that I could see him as "The Phantom" and not just a guy-wearing-Phantom-clothes which I kind of do in Ramin's case.

Of those Phantoms I've seen live, the very very best would be Peter Cousens, John Owen-Jones (agreed that he's a lot better as Valjean, though) and Flemming Enevold.

Of those I haven't seen live, I rate highly Michael Crawford, Anthony Warlow, Alexander Goebel, Peter Jorde and Yuichiro Yamaguchi. Maybe Juan Carlos Barona for the voice factor? Don't seem to get much from his acting, though. And though I didn't quite like him throughout the show, I thought Scott Davies' final lair was perfection and incredibly moving. I might stretch to giving Glyn Kerslake, David Willets and Matt Cammelle a special gold star each as well, but didn't see any of them live (I did see Matt Cammelle several times as Raoul, though).

And I know this is an ALW board, but whatever: it's my personal opinion that few actors have ever matched/surpassed Lon Chaney as the character of the Phantom. That man was born to play the role. I have a soft spot for Charles Dance's Phantom too, even if he is a little too cuddly at times.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:50 pm

Scorp wrote:And though I didn't quite like him throughout the show, I thought Scott Davies' final lair was perfection and incredibly moving.
I used to really like Davies' Phantom, but then I realized he's basically Peter Karrie lite. His physical acting, particularly in the FL, and even a lot of his vocal performance, aped Karrie's Phantom quite obviously, but not quite to the same effect.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiephan Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:39 am

Favorites of those I've seen live

Roy Wiessensteiner - my absoloute favorite hands down
Anthony Warlow
Alexander Lewis
Peter Karrie
Donald Cant
Hugh Panaro

Others not seen live

Michael Crawford
Alexander Goebel

Bonnie (old poster lost with the PFN crash and could never get log in approval for Phansonline to post)
aussiephan
aussiephan

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:30 pm

Bonnie, who's that in your avatar, and where'd you get the pic? Looks like an Aussie mask, which would make sense for your username.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:12 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Bonnie, who's that in your avatar, and where'd you get the pic? Looks like an Aussie mask, which would make sense for your username.

Tis Anthony Warlow. IIRC the pic was included with a press article from an Aussie newspaper around the time of the recent Oz revival.

I should probably add that my earlier reference to Scott Davies was in the context of seeing him live. He may well be "Peter Karrie lite" (I can't really say not being overly familiar with Karrie's Phantom), but it didn't make his final lair any less moving seeing it live. No-one I've seen since in the role -- not even my overall favourites -- have moved me to quite that extent in the final scene, though I think JOJ came close once.

Last edited by Scorp on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Of the ones I've seen, umm, John Cudia.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiephan Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:15 am

Correct - the avatar is of Anthony Warlow from puplicity shots pre July 2007 at The Princess Theatre, Melbourne taken before the recent Aussie return tour started two years ago.

Bonnie
aussiephan
aussiephan

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:13 am

I can't believe that was 2 years ago already, nor can I believe the Vegas show has been running for 3 years or that the record-breaking Broadway performance was well over 3 years ago now.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 am

SenorSwanky wrote:I can't believe that was 2 years ago already, nor can I believe the Vegas show has been running for 3 years or that the record-breaking Broadway performance was well over 3 years ago now.
God, yes... And it feels like yesterday. Wow, we're getting old... Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 pm

I've always had a soft spot for John Cudia just cause he was the phantom I saw live. He was wonderful Smile (For those who saw my reviews, I gushed just a *bit*) But I'm also a fan of Hugh Panaro, Tim Martin Gleason (from what I've heard from his understudy runs alone is great). Though I was never *crazy* about MC, He was good and him and Colm hold another small part of my heart (maybe just an artery leading to my heart, I'm still deciding) for being one of my first two Phantoms that I had ever heard. Other Phantoms of honorable mention: Brad Little, Steve Barton, Anthony Warlow, aaaaaand Peter Karrie.
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40 am

After having seen David Shannon as the Phantom, twice, I'm not quite sure how to rate him. I like what he's attempting at, but I don't he has the ooomph to pull it off. Not yet, at least.

That said, he has some wonderful moments, many has already mentioned his "I gave you my music" scene on the angel, and for a reason. It is really interesting to listen to, as he doesn't appear to aim for beauty, but for raw emotion. Very cool. He also has some nice moments in MOTN and the Final Lair, and I'm sure he'll grow into the role. Not sure I will come to dig his rock-approach to the singing, though. So as of now, my ever-changing favourite list, of those I've seen live:

MOTHER, MAY I?
Peter Jorde
Flemming Enevold
Earl Carpenter

DEFINITELY YES:
Ian Jon Bourgh
John Owen-Jones
Preben Kristensen
David Shannon
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:47 pm

operafantomet wrote:After having seen David Shannon as the Phantom, twice, I'm not quite sure how to rate him. I like what he's attempting at, but I don't he has the ooomph to pull it off. Not yet, at least.

That said, he has some wonderful moments, many has already mentioned his "I gave you my music" scene on the angel, and for a reason. It is really interesting to listen to, as he doesn't appear to aim for beauty, but for raw emotion. Very cool. He also has some nice moments in MOTN and the Final Lair, and I'm sure he'll grow into the role. Not sure I will come to dig his rock-approach to the singing, though. So as of now, my ever-changing favourite list, of those I've seen live:

I agree with you completely. I definately preferred him as Jean Valjean in Les Mis, but his Phantom was miles better than his Raoul!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  justin1976 Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:55 pm

Paul Monaghan was a damn good Phantom. Dave Willets was awesome.

justin1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:02 am

justin1976 wrote:Paul Monaghan was a damn good Phantom. Dave Willets was awesome.

Ooo describe Mr Willetts' Phantom to me! I remember reading so many positive things about him when he did the role in Manchester. Loved him as Max in the recent Sunset revival.

Agree very much with operafantomet on David Shannon. An extremely interesting Angel scene and good work in the final lair, but elsewhere I sort of feel like there wasn't enough. Hoping his Phantom will get stronger and have more presence and depth over time.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  justin1976 Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:04 am

Very much in the line of Crawford - but in the final lair he did this...mewling, howling sort of cry after Christine leaves. And when he sang 'This FACE!!!!! The infection....'' and then cried remembering his mother. I get chills now thinking of it.

justin1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisabetta611 Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:08 pm

1) Peter Karrie
2) Ian Jon Bourg
3) Earl Carpenter
4) Steve Barton
5) Brad Little
Elisabetta611
Elisabetta611

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:52 am

I have liked all actors (except one) I have seen in the role of Phantom. However, my top favorite still to this day is Thomas James O'Leary. I loved his MOTN and his overall acting.

I also liked Gary Mauer as I had seen him quite a few times and how he grew with the role. Brad Little was good too and I think he did a great final lair scene.
Miranda
Miranda

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm

As easy it is for me to find a bunch of Christine's and Raoul's, it's very difficult for me to piece together a list of my favorite Phantom's. I'm so picky!

Crawford will always, and eternally, be my favorite. I think it's because he was there in its birth. And, he was given a total breakdown on the character. And the fact he was one of the older Phantom's. I do think that has to be a big thing for me, the Phantom has to be an older man. But its difficult finding singers who are in their 40's that can play the role, since a good truckload of them played it in the 80's/90's. So I'm willing to put that aside and listen to the voice, lol. (Duh.)

Anyway, besides from Crawford, there are the following:

Colm Wilkinson, Henk Port, Anthony Warlow, John Owen Jones, Christian Alexander Mueller, Thomas Borchert, and Ethan Freeman.

Christian Mueller is the youngest of that bunch, but dude, he's amazing. His mannerisms and his vocalizing in Music of the Night is gorgeous.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:06 am

Including those I have and have not seen (and in no particular order, because that's impossible):
John Cudia (my very first Phantom Very Happy)
Hugh Panaro
Michael Crawford
Tim Martin Gleason
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Here are mine, roughly in the order I became aware of them:

Michael Crawford: Never seen live by me, but I've seen enough to make that one of my everlasting regrets. There's so much to like about Crawford, but what he does for me better than anyone else is how effortless he makes it look. His Phantom is a man so powerful, and so confident in that power, that all he needs is a whisper and a gesture of his hand to exert it. It's absolutely mesmerizing to watch, and it's easy to see why he's made such an indelible stamp on the role.

Brad Little: The hands, the hands, dear God the hands. I mean, the voice is gorgeous but he could be mute and I would still be all over him for his physical gestures. But more importantly, Little has a great knack for turning on an emotional dime. I love Phantoms who can seduce you, pin you to the seat with terror, and make you cry for them all within the space of a few moments, and he did that beautifully. Did I mention he has nice hands?

Gary Mauer: Simply the most achingly beautiful high notes I've ever heard, and a nice intimidating presence.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:There's so much to like about Crawford, but what he does for me better than anyone else is how effortless he makes it look. His Phantom is a man so powerful, and so confident in that power, that all he needs is a whisper and a gesture of his hand to exert it. It's absolutely mesmerizing to watch, and it's easy to see why he's made such an indelible stamp on the role.
Yes! Well said. He's so graceful and other-worldly.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Trilby Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

1. John Owen Jones
2. Anthony Warlow
3. Brad Little
4. Henk Poort
5. Alexander Goebel
Trilby
Trilby

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Trilby wrote:1. John Owen Jones
2. Anthony Warlow
3. Brad Little
4. Henk Poort
5. Alexander Goebel

I love the choicces. Wink The fact you have Anthony Warlow and Henk Poort on your list - JOY. <3
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Time to update my list.

Favorites (in general order, but sometimes my mood changes, and I prefer lower-listed ones over the top ones):

Colm Wilkinson
Michael Crawford
Steve Barton
Davis Gaines
Peter Karrie
Kevin Gray
Ethan Freeman
Mike Sterling

Honorable Mention:

Dave Willetts
Timothy Nolen
Mark McKerracher
Jeff Keller
James Romick
Michael Lackey
Brad Little
Peter Polycarpou
Keith Buterbaugh
Kip Wilborn
David Gaschen
Rob Guest
Ian Jon Bourg
Randal Keith
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Favourite Phantoms - Page 2 Empty Favourite Phantoms

Post  ladygodiva Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Michael Crawford, is my #1, Just loved him plain and simple, I will describe some reasons why, I love that Phantom, his voice pure and magical, warm and emotional, His Hands, not Just his hands, but the way that he uses them, the way that he reaches out for his Christine, in his MON, his hands longed to touch her wanted to touch her but with a bit of hesitation, his almost worship of Christine, his desire for her. and when he sings touch me trust me, the unadulterated passion, emotion, longing. and he did have persuasive hands, very much so. and Michael never deviated from his performance no matter which actress was playing Christine for that performance, he made Sarah Brightman the most vulnerable and beautiful Christine, he made Dale Kristien (who usually looked akward and stiff and definately not graceful) He managed to make Dale look graceful. one deviation though with Dale after the kiss in the Final Lair, he and Dale looked at each other for slightly longer than other phantom and christines have. He made Patti Cohenour more innocent and Mary D'arcy more interesting, (Not that she was'nt it's just its been 20 odd years since I saw Mary D'arcy) She was quite lovely in fact, just I really can't remember her.

In the Final Lair, Micheal's phantom was petulant, powerful, innocent and angry all at once, (I truly believed that irregardless he would have freed them both, after the kiss when Christine first runs off with Raoul, and Michaels phantom is singing paper faces on parade, he was somewhat bent over the monkey music boxs and when he senses Christine he straightens up and turns around, of course only to find her returning the ring, then once again he slouches over, and after the kiss ( Yes, I know, I keep remembering more as I type, ) his hands touch his lips as if still feeling her.

And he was the most sensual and sexual in past the pointe of no return, no other phantom can touch him, (Although I do not mind watching others try. More please) in LA he rolled his "R" s more to imiate Piangi, and if I described what he was doing whilst Christine was singing her part it would be rather adult only.

His laugh as the phantom was a joy to behold, even though you were in the audience and nervous as hell, it rather made most of us chuckle as well.

in the Stranger than you dreamt it, after Christine strips his mask off, first obviously he is angered, and hurt, with the mask he at least he could think as more normal, but when its stripped away, he is completely bared, and when he is on the floor crawling to her, and moans oh Christine, He just wanted her to see him other than the beast the monster, the ogre, and after she returns the mask, he reaches out for her and wants so much to touch her, but then its come we must return. ( I remember in an interview Sarah Brightman said that returning the phantoms mask was like giving him back his dignity in a way making him whole )

His MON in my opinion was the most sensual most evocative and provocative and emotional. I remember in several interviews michael talked about the phantoms clothes, from the footware, he said that his grandfather wore footware like that and he allways remembered his grandfather as a sad man, and how he put the emotion in his looseing Christine, that he had lost love or loved ones and that he had to let go, or say goodbye. and in London in the first journey to the lair when they get out of the boat and after Michael removes the phantoms cape and hat and smooths down his hair. Gillian Lynne told him to do it more slowly though, I remember Michael did not know just how sensual that he was.

another fave, Colm Wilkenson,(I'm not sure if I spelled his last name correctly) his phantom was more demanding of Christine and the Managers and Madame Giry as well, his phantom, not as sensual or emotional as MC, still Colm could sing and in the final lair, I truly believed that Christine had saved him and melted his heart. I loved Colms voice, (I do like how Colm in an interview said that the masked side was actually his good side, even though others had not seen it that way.

One phantom that I have only heard and not seen is Mikael Samualson the Swedish phantom, absolutely powerful and emotional and moving, and even though I do not speak swedish, I totaly understood him, I really wish that I could have seen him live,

Honorable mentions Rick Hilsabeck,

Other Phantoms that I would like to have seen John Owen Jones, Earl Carpenter, Davis Gaines, Howard Mcgillin ( un sure of spelling) the Las Vegas Phantoms.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

The phantom's that i have seen live are:

Glyn Kerslake
Mike Sterling
Scott Davies
Richard Halton
John Owen Jones
Earl Carpenter
Matt Cammelle

They were all brilliant i wouldn't say there was any of those that i didn't like but my favorite has to be Richard Halton, he was amazing! It would be nice if he returned to the role one day. I have 'heard' and seen(not live if you know what i mean) lots of others and i definitely like Dave Willetts he sounded very good. I'm sure i'll get stick for this but i really don't see how Peter Karrie is such a favorite, i wasn't that impressed. Saying that if he ever did the show again i would go see him in it.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next