Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Crawford Thread

+16
Cape Twirl of Doom
Vicomtesse de Chagny
LadyCDaae
Phantour
Paula74
LisaL
Klavirista
Scorp
Molina
Bric
SenorSwanky
operafantomet
MasqPhan
ML6
Raphael
Callie Daae
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Michael Crawford Thread

Post  Scorp Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:37 am

I want an autograph! Not sure what to send though...for fear of it getting lost. What have people sent to him to get signed?

Saw him in The Woman in White. I didn't like the show, but I was wowed by his stage presence, of which he has bucketloads. He's also incredibly funny. Brought the house down.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 pm

You send it through the MCIFA. I sent in a picture of him as the Phantom to sign. Very Happy
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 am

It can take quite a while to get something back because the Club saves up mail and sends it to him in "batches." The Club Co-ordinating committee is mostly located in Southern California, and he is in New Zealand a lot of the year and in London for a few months also.

Include a card or piece of paper with the name you want him to use in signing it for you.
Stamped, self-addressed envelope is good.

This address should work.

Michael Crawford – Personal
c/o M.C.I.F.A. Member # ____ [Never mind Member # if you're not a member. They will forward mail anyway.]
2272 Colorado Blvd., PMB #1367
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Six months, Callie. Smile
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Klavirista Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Callie Daae, my letter was on a way for 5 months, but the post in my country is soooo slow, really it's not a suprise for me. A friend of mine had sent a letter to John Cudia and the letter in return was delievered to her in two months (she lives in Ukraine)!
Klavirista
Klavirista

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:25 am

Great! Thanks everyone! I sent mine out in late May, so I got a few more months to wait.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaL Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:23 pm

I wonder if Michael has seen Love Never Dies, I read a interview by Andrew Lloyd Webber that Sarah Brightman had seen it and mostly liked it but thought some of the songs should be changed and some of the scenes should be re-staged and she give Andrew her notes on it!!
LisaL
LisaL

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 am

LisaL wrote:I wonder if Michael has seen Love Never Dies, I read a interview by Andrew Lloyd Webber that Sarah Brightman had seen it and mostly liked it but thought some of the songs should be changed and some of the scenes should be re-staged and she give Andrew her notes on it!!

I don't know, of course, but I rather doubt that he has. He did some interviews after visiting two Sick Children's Trust houses fairly recently. In one, the interviewer after finishing one topic, said very quickly something about Michael not having had time to see the sequel, and then the conversation turned to Michael and The Phantom of the Opera. The sequel wasn't even mentioned in the other interviews.

--Just my opinion---I think it would have been the natural and likely thing to have asked the first ALW Phantom about the sequel, but it didn't happen. I *think* MC let them know ahead of time that he didn't want questions about LND. These were positive, friendly interviews playing up his part in the children's charity so they would have respected his wishes *IF* what I think happened, happened.

I will be surprised if he ever comments on LND at all.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 am

Crawford returns to the West End stage as The Wizard...

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael_Crawford_to_Return_to_West_End_as_the_Wizard_in_THE_WIZARD_OF_OZ_20010101
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:41 am

OMG how exciting!!!!! I must go!!! cheers
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantour Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Perhaps I'm in the minority being disturbed by this. It's great he's in another production, but I don't think Andrew Lloyd Webber should be touching Wizard of Oz, and see this as a train wreck. But I could be wrong...
Phantour
Phantour

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaL Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Paula74 wrote:Crawford returns to the West End stage as The Wizard...

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael_Crawford_to_Return_to_West_End_as_the_Wizard_in_THE_WIZARD_OF_OZ_20010101

Oh Im really exicted by this Andrew done the reality show for the wizard of oz in the UK and it looked really good, and now the big plus of having Michael in it Very Happy
LisaL
LisaL

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:32 pm

That's some brilliant casting. No singing parts for him, though, I don't believe, unless ALW's new songs include parts for MC. But imagine hearing that offstage voice over the sound system again.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Michael Crawford as an ominous, intimidating figure who's really a kind of bumbling everyguy underneath? No, can't possibly see him playing that well... [/sarcasm]

Part of me is still a little skeptical, though--I mean, ALW tricked me into buying the Woman in White soundtrack with this same move. Fool me once...

~:CD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 pm

I practically squealed with joy when read Michael would be in this! A certain recent musical has made me very sceptical about anything ALW touches, but... Come on, it's Michael!
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Phantour wrote:Perhaps I'm in the minority being disturbed by this. It's great he's in another production, but I don't think Andrew Lloyd Webber should be touching Wizard of Oz, and see this as a train wreck. But I could be wrong...
Well it's not like The Wizard of Oz hasn't already been musicalized on stage in various forms.
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:39 am

I've loved the Wizard Of Oz since I was about two (I was even the Wicked Witch for Halloween when I was about 3 or 4). I'm interested in what Andrew will do with it, though it shows how unoriginal his shows are becoming. I'm pretty positive Michael will sing in it, Andrew will probably write new parts for him. I mean how could Michael be in a show and not sing?

I couldn't be more ecstatic that Michael is returning to the stage. The (theater) world will finally be complete again. lol cheers

Also, if Michael did return as the Phantom I vote for Sierra Boggess as Christine!
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:18 am

Callie Daae wrote:Also, if Michael did return as the Phantom I vote for Sierra Boggess as Christine!
I'd rather it would be Rebecca Caine, Claire Moore or another "original" Christine connected with the London production. I think we can rule out Brightman in this context, as she's said several times she's done with POTO and not interested in doing musical theatre any more.

I would love it if they made different Phantoms do different parts, like they did in Canada. I'm still not convinced Crawford is up for a whole show, but imagine putting him on for PONR or similar! I love you
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:53 am

He'll be singing at least one of the new songs.
Q & A from Broadwayworld

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW_Exclusive_QA_Michael_Crawford_Talks_Return_to_the_Stage_20100924
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:22 pm

operafantomet wrote:

I would love it if they made different Phantoms do different parts, like they did in Canada. I'm still not convinced Crawford is up for a whole show, but imagine putting him on for PONR or similar! I love you

I spoke to my friend last night before bed about this rumor. He was pretty casual about it. He said that the person who he heard it from says that it's in the early stages of development. He also said that it's a year from now, and if Crawford was to do it, he'd already be playing a role on stage (the Wizard) so there should be no reason he couldn't do it again - and for one night? It's not like it's a week of playing the part. lol My friend has been a very trustworthy person - always knowing ahead of time about cast changes in London - so I will admit, I am hesitant about this rumor. But if it does come to play, it's going to be epic and we all know it. (Aim for something low - and it ends up happening, you'll have me to thank. ;D)
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:39 pm

I hope you're right, but in some ways I don't because there's probably no way I'd be able to go over and see that performance. I've dreamed for 20 years of the opportunity of seeing him in that role, and if it were to happen for one night and never again, I'd hate to miss it.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:I hope you're right, but in some ways I don't because there's probably no way I'd be able to go over and see that performance. I've dreamed for 20 years of the opportunity of seeing him in that role, and if it were to happen for one night and never again, I'd hate to miss it.

I hope (he's) I'm right too. I've already started dreaming of all the really neat stuff that they could do to market this (pretty high def photos of Crawford, news videos, etc.) and I'm going crazy. But I'd also be really sad, like you, that I would never be able to see such awesomeness. But at least I know people that live in London (Europe) who have a wonderful chance to see him. Who knows, if it does happen, he might come to Broadway's 25th, lol.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:40 am

Wait.

Perhaps I missed something while reading this thread. Where did this rumor about MC possibly doing a Phantom performance in West End get started? Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome - but the idea seems to have just kinda jumped out of nowhere here...

Anyhow, I think it's pretty interesting that he's going to be playing the Wizard. To my mind, this is more like the showmanship roles he took in his prime, such as Barnum and EFX. I think he's wonderful with those upbeat, flamboyant, theatrical parts and I look forward to seeing what he does in Oz. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:06 am

Madame Giry wrote:Wait.

Perhaps I missed something while reading this thread. Where did this rumor about MC possibly doing a Phantom performance in West End get started? Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome - but the idea seems to have just kinda jumped out of nowhere here...

Anyhow, I think it's pretty interesting that he's going to be playing the Wizard. To my mind, this is more like the showmanship roles he took in his prime, such as Barnum and EFX. I think he's wonderful with those upbeat, flamboyant, theatrical parts and I look forward to seeing what he does in Oz. Smile

~Madame~

*raises hand* A friend told me. He has connections. He says that it's in the early stages, and if it comes to play, it comes to play. I brought it out on the London thread, and I'm bringing it out over here.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:38 am

While I would love this to happen, I don't think it will. I don't think MC would want to come back and risk ruining people's memories of an iconic, legendary performance. I don't think he would want to ruin his *own* memories either -- isn't that why he was initially reluctant to see the show as an audience member before being persuaded to come for the Broadway gala night when it became the longest running show?

I saw Michael Crawford in The Woman in White and while he was phenomenal in what was a not-that-great show (IMHO), it wasn't long before he was out because of health reasons. Although a lot of that is to do with how much water he was losing wearing that fat suit, I'm not sure he has the stamina now for what is a very athletic role.

And I certainly don't think Sarah Brightman would go anywhere near the idea. She moved on yonks ago and every time she comes back to Britain she says she feels like she's entered a time warp because everyone here still associates her more than anything with ALW and Phantom, in spite of her hugely successful solo career in the States and worldwide.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Scorp wrote:While I would love this to happen, I don't think it will. I don't think MC would want to come back and risk ruining people's memories of an iconic, legendary performance. I don't think he would want to ruin his *own* memories either -- isn't that why he was initially reluctant to see the show as an audience member before being persuaded to come for the Broadway gala night when it became the longest running show?

I saw Michael Crawford in The Woman in White and while he was phenomenal in what was a not-that-great show (IMHO), it wasn't long before he was out because of health reasons. Although a lot of that is to do with how much water he was losing wearing that fat suit, I'm not sure he has the stamina now for what is a very athletic role.
If Crawford came back for a one-night only performance, I'd drop absolutely EVERYTHING and pay an ungodly amount to go see it.

That being said, he's said in the past that the voice is an instrument, and I don't think he's exercised it to the degree "Phantom" requires in a long time. Anyway, I thought he'd retired already. He's becoming the Sean Connery of musical theatre...

R.

PS: Scorp - MAJOR WIN for using the term "yonks ago." I'd only heard it once before on the old "Red Dwarf" TV show and assumed they'd made it up Laughing
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Raphael wrote:Scorp - MAJOR WIN for using the term "yonks ago." I'd only heard it once before on the old "Red Dwarf" TV show and assumed they'd made it up Laughing

What can I say? I'm British. Smile

Out of curiosity, who here on this board saw Crawford live as the Phantom? I know ladygodiva did...anyone else?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Scorp wrote:Out of curiosity, who here on this board saw Crawford live as the Phantom? I know ladygodiva did...anyone else?
I never saw him in the show, but I did attend one of his concerts where he sang a few songs from "Phantom." In relation to the other songs in the set, there was a palpable change in his personality - even sans mask, makeup and costume, he transformed into the Phantom for those few songs.

That's about as close as I'll ever get, I guess.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Pretty much the same experience here. Wanted very, very much to see him as The Phantom, but simply couldn't get tickets. Not that I didn't try. But I did, at least, see him in concert in the early 90s.

I meet a lot of people who say they saw him in the role, but when you ask what date they saw it and it turns out they missed him by anywhere from a few months to a year or two without actually realizing it.

And that's not counting people who've seen the show (Broadway, London, tour, wherever) within the last five or six years who will swear that they saw Michael Crawford as The Phantom and will look at you as if you're completely insane when you tell them, no, they saw Howard McGillin or Hugh Panaro or John Cudia or Gary Mauer or Earl Carpenter or Ramin Karimloo....

They act like you're not just wrong, but crazy...or concede that one of those guys "might have been Crawford's understudy the night we went." Very Happy
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Scorp wrote:
Raphael wrote:Scorp - MAJOR WIN for using the term "yonks ago." I'd only heard it once before on the old "Red Dwarf" TV show and assumed they'd made it up Laughing
What can I say? I'm British. Smile
Yonks ago... it seems so yonks ago... Razz
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next