Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Raoul Appreciation Thread

+7
Helen
Callie Daae
Raphael
phantomgirl110
operafantomet
ML6
starryeyed
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Raoul Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Raoul Appreciation Thread

Post  starryeyed Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Can someone please say something encouraging about Raoul after hearing such lyrics as "Look at you deep in debt, stinking drunk, pitiful" That might not be the exact lyrics I really don't care to remember them.

I think we need to keep the spirit of the original (and only in my opinion now) Raoul alive once this THING opens. I can just imagine everyone coming out and thinking "What a layabout that guy she was with in the beginning was." Sigh.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:54 pm

dolly-ry wrote:Can someone please say something encouraging about Raoul after hearing such lyrics as "Look at you deep in debt, stinking drunk, pitiful" That might not be the exact lyrics I really don't care to remember them.

I think we need to keep the spirit of the original (and only in my opinion now) Raoul alive once this THING opens. I can just imagine everyone coming out and thinking "What a layabout that guy she was with in the beginning was." Sigh.

I just had an idea that might cheer you up. If I am successful in ridding myself of tickets to the LND first preview, we could go and see the ORIGINAL on the EVENING show of Feb 20th? It would mean that no-one in the audience would be a LND fanatic, as they'll all be watching an inferior show at the Adelphi...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:57 pm

I can say right now if you are successful in ridding yourself of those things then we will indeed be at Her Majesty's on 20th February pitying the poor people round the corner. Or laughing at them, one of the two.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Scorp wrote:
dolly-ry wrote:Can someone please say something encouraging about Raoul after hearing such lyrics as "Look at you deep in debt, stinking drunk, pitiful" That might not be the exact lyrics I really don't care to remember them.

I just had an idea that might cheer you up. If I am successful in ridding myself of tickets to the LND first preview, we could go and see the ORIGINAL on the EVENING show of Feb 20th? It would mean that no-one in the audience would be a LND fanatic, as they'll all be watching an inferior show at the Adelphi...

I like that idea, you guys! Scorp and Doll-ry, you guys know that the audience will be quite empty. So, you'll be getting a personal show.

Also, that is NOT Raoul I heard on that clip. That is some clone... some... fake copy of Raoul... The Raoul I know is NOT in debt, loves Christine, and had a child with her. This Raoul is none of that. Raoul is delicious and shall always remain quite the gentleman in my eyes.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiyero3305 Thu May 20, 2010 3:31 am

Ugh, Raoul in LND makes me so upset. I can't decide if I'm more upset by his character assassination or Meg's.

My Raoul appreciation comes from everything he does for Christine throughout the show. He doesn't always handle things the best way but he does it all from a place of sincere care and when he pushes Christine to go along with the plan to trap the Phantom he does so because he really thinks it will help her. "Christine, Christine, don't think that I don't care, but every hope and every prayer rests on you now" He wouldn't be putting her into this situation if he didn't think that it was their best option.
Fiyero3305
Fiyero3305

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:34 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it's so vital for the story to have a strong Raoul. The dynamic created is so much more powerful than when it's obvious Christine prefers the Phantom. Besides, I don't want Christine to be a gold-digger. Going with Raoul for the money in POTO, and the Phantom for the money (read: cheap bling) in LND? Not my cup of tea.

Though, I still think Hal Prince's thought on it is interesting: Christine is a young woman split between three men: the Phantom, Raoul, and her father. I like that she finds her own voice (forgive the pun) towards the end of the show, not abiding neither men, but deciding her own destiny. She's still town between the Phantom and Raoul, but she makes her choice. Darn LND for ruining that.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Fiyero3305 wrote:Ugh, Raoul in LND makes me so upset. I can't decide if I'm more upset by his character assassination or Meg's.

Meg's character assassination always seems so random and out-of-nowhere to me, and it really annoys me, but Raoul's bugs me more. I can agree with the idea that Meg's character is not all that strongly developed/defined and her emotions and fate at the end of the show are pretty ambiguous. Raoul, on the other hand, is central to the love story, and his emotions and actions are important to the plot. Even though different actors naturally bring their own interpretations, there are certain traits Raoul has that (should) remain consistent. Things like his love for Christine, his bravery, and his directness. Even if you don't like Raoul, you can't take him out of the story without totally changing it. Making him out-of-character for LND creates a big disconnect between that show and POTO, the same way the Phantom being out-of-character does. At least, that's how it makes me feel.

For me, I really like Raoul's part in Wandering Child. I've always thought that was a pretty insightful moment for him, and I find the idea of him observing Christine and the Phantom's interactions for awhile before intervening quite interesting. I've always felt like he was trying to understand their connection, and he seems to get the whole father thing too. So naturally, I'm really sad that part of it was removed from most productions.

Last edited by Loettchen on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Loettchen wrote:For me, I really like Raoul's part in Wandering Child. I've always thought that was a pretty insightful moment for him, and I find the idea of him observing Christine and the Phantom's interactions for awhile before intervening quite interesting. I've always felt like he was trying to understand their connection, and he seems to get the whole father thing too. So naturally, I'm really sad that part of it was removed from most productions.
I very much agree with this point. I think it's so interesting to make Raoul see and actually also feel the dangerous allure of the Phantom, and see that Christine is blinded my memories of the past. In a way it makes sense that he understands this. Raoul knew Christine as a child and sat together with her when daddy DaaƩ told them "dark stories of the North". He would have know both of her father's ability to spellbind through music and words, and also how close father and daughter seemed to have been. But it also makes sense that he is the one convincing her that the Phantom is not her father returning, neither as himself nor as the angel of music he promised her.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2