Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  auctioneer Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I'd love to get a review of Scott Davies to see what he's doing with the role. Hope to see him, if I'm lucky, this spring.

Wouldn't it be great if RUG somehow posted/tweeted the day's cast online? I guess to the average fan it wouldn't really make much difference, but maybe it would increase the visibility of the show. It would particularly be good for people like us.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Could you imagine what it would have been like lately? It's been a bit like musical chairs in the cast lately and the twitter feed would probably have a different cast every day what with Gina/Rebecca/Simon/David being off a lot lately ha ha.

It would hopefully cut down on the reviews that say certain people were really good and you are sitting there thinking "they weren't on last night."

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:11 pm

It does seem as though David Shannon misses quite a few dates. Am I right in thinking that he misses more than the other principals by a fairly wide margin? (Forgetting Rebecca Lock, of course, with her recent bout of troubles!)

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Well yes it would appear so. He does seem to quite regularly miss at least a couple of performances a week (however not all the time) I don't really know why that would be. But he did go down to 7 performances a week at Les Mis eventually, perhaps he'll reduce his performances after May (if he renews his contract.)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:26 pm

ruthy wrote:Well yes it would appear so. He does seem to quite regularly miss at least a couple of performances a week (however not all the time) I don't really know why that would be. But he did go down to 7 performances a week at Les Mis eventually, perhaps he'll reduce his performances after May (if he renews his contract.)
My personal opinion (and I admit I can be VERY wrong about this) is that he seems to lack the stamina needed for the demanding lead roles, at least if it includes 8 shows a week. As I wrote in my London review(s), he seems to hold back a lot when playing the Phantom. He gave us the money notes, and he did shine in some scenes, but in most of the musical he seemed to tone down both voice and intensity in acting. Which is odd.

That, combined with him having contracted "only" 7 performances in Les Mis, makes me think that he definitely has the talent, but maybe not the voice or energy to give it all 8 times a week.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:28 pm

ruthy wrote:I actually on the one hand perhaps prefer the reservedness. (Is that a word?) I think people can at times be too quick to give standing ovations these days and the point of a standing ovation is lost as it just becomes something you do.
I somewhat agree.

The last time I saw the show, last month on tour, the audience was actually pretty reserved, compared to other performances (but, then again, the cast wasn't as good as at other performances); I started the entire audience applause from the rear orchestra on at least one occasion (right after Wishing, which was pretty good even though I didn't really enjoy Kelly Jeanne Grant's overall performance), and applause was sometimes delayed and brief, including after MOTN.

auctioneer wrote:Wouldn't it be great if RUG somehow posted/tweeted the day's cast online? I guess to the average fan it wouldn't really make much difference, but maybe it would increase the visibility of the show. It would particularly be good for people like us.
That would be awesome. They should have separate Twitter accounts for each production, and post not just who's on each day, but other news and info about the cast and tour stops.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:59 pm

I have to admit that I saw Mr Shannon as Valjean twice in Les Mis, and both times I was suitably impressed. JVJ is a demanding role, and he didn't seem to hold back then. I'm sorry to hear that he seems to hold back as a Phantom. As for his absences, that really is unfortunate. I don't believe that there's ever been a Phantom who didn't do all eight shows a week. It is a tough role (physically, especially), but that's what really makes a good theatre performer - less so the strength of one individual performance than the ability to maintain a standard throughout an extended run. I was surprised when the deal was reached for seven shows a week in Les Mis -- I've seen 'name' stars get that kind of deal (Michael Ball, Jonathan Pryce, etc), but maybe it wasn't the first in the history of Les Mis - who knows? (I guess that's off topic for this thread.)

On a related note, I see that Gina Beck only this week missed her first performances due to illness since the beginning of her run in September 2008 -- sixteen months is pretty impressive!

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Yes, I know she has been doing rather well re-arranging her schedule at times in order to not take days off. What a trooper.

Ramin actually "unofficially" went down to 5 performances a week for a while well over a year ago now. But I don't believe any Phantom has officially been given an alternate.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:17 pm

ruthy wrote:I actually on the one hand perhaps prefer the reservedness. (Is that a word?) I think people can at times be too quick to give standing ovations these days and the point of a standing ovation is lost as it just becomes something you do. I hope that made sense I am rather ill at the moment and slightly delirious i think.

On another note a friend is at Phantom today and seeing Scott Davies. Rather jealous Smile

I hope someone here sees Scott Davies so we can have a review sometime. I thought he was wonderful when I saw him in his previous run so it would be interesting to hear about his portrayal after all these years.

As for audiences, I like an energetic, appreciative audience. However, I don't like it when they are too quick to applaud. It sort of kills the mood of a scene when the applause starts before the song is done.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 am

auctioneer wrote:
It's also interesting to be at a performance when there is clearly a break, designed for applause, and there is resounding silence (for instance, at the end of "Hannibal" or, as I said before, at the end of the show) -- that's how I got into the habit of, at times, starting the applause.

When I was there last month, the audience were a bit quiet and there was a silence after Hannibal for about 3 seconds before someone clapped. 3 seconds seems like ages when theres absolute silence on stage!

My personal opinion (and I admit I can be VERY wrong about this) is that he seems to lack the stamina needed for the demanding lead roles, at least if it includes 8 shows a week. As I wrote in my London review(s), he seems to hold back a lot when playing the Phantom. He gave us the money notes, and he did shine in some scenes, but in most of the musical he seemed to tone down both voice and intensity in acting. Which is odd.

I saw him as Valjean twice. The first time he gave an outstanding performance, one of the best Valjean performances I've seen. The second time, he was still excellent, but his voice wasn't as strong as I remembered. With Phantom, I felt he held back a bit up until Stranger Than You Dreamt It. From the Angel scene onwards, he was like a different person and he was great in act 2. I'm so jealous of anyone who got to see Scott Davis today, I'd love to see him.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:28 am

I am so jealous too. I totally could have gone but there is the minor problem of me not being able to get out of bed. What I am not loving is the fact when Scott is on Simon is almost always off therefore my aim of seeing a Scott/Katy/Simon show won't be as easy as I thought. boo!

Last edited by ruthy on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Illness induced spelling failures)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:32 am

It'll be difficult, but not impossible! You'll probably end up seeing them unintentionally!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:42 am

ruthy wrote:But I don't believe any Phantom has officially been given an alternate.
Except in Vegas, of course. The closest I've seen in the original version of the show, that I know of, is when Peter Karrie apparently did only 6 or 7 shows a week in Toronto for a time, and someone whose name I can't remember went on in his place. I don't think this arrangement was listed in any program or on any poster, though.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 am

SenorSwanky wrote:
ruthy wrote:But I don't believe any Phantom has officially been given an alternate.
Except in Vegas, of course. The closest I've seen in the original version of the show, that I know of, is when Peter Karrie apparently did only 6 or 7 shows a week in Toronto for a time, and someone whose name I can't remember went on in his place. I don't think this arrangement was listed in any program or on any poster, though.
And in other productions too (Brazil, South Africa and Argentina comes to mind). I was about to comment on that, until I remembered this was the London thread, so Ruthy probably meant that and LONDON Phantom has never been given an alternate?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Yes I did mean in the London production but it is nice to hear of alternate Phantoms. I think Antony Warlow perhaps had one? I don't know if he did the world tour or that was a specifically Australian production... I am not clued up on international productions sorry to say.

I think the Peter Karrie situation sounds a bit like what happened with Ramin. It wasn't credited in the programme or on the posters but Nic was at a time doing 3 performances a week. I somehow get the feeling this is now the case with Scott who seems to regularly be on Saturday's, of course it could be a coincidence.

However, I think this is telling of the current London situation. Simon Bailey is ill, very poorly, and therefore took yesterdays performances off. David also took yesterdays performances off due to sickness but since I don't know David Shannon and don't know anyone who does I couldn't say how ill he is. And to back this point up when asked about David and Simon being sick Rebecca Lock comes out with "Well I don't actually know how sick David is but Simon is quite poorly."

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:39 pm

I saw the show last night... I noticed Scott Davies' name on the board as Phantom as I was collecting my ticket but didn't really think much of it as I wasn't aware of his history until I read the posts above, just now.

He has a rather unusual stage presence and seemed to play a more needy/ clingy Phantom than I've seen before. E.g. in Final Lair there didn't seem to be any kind of acceptance that the outcome was in any way fair or just or that he had learned to let go of his infatuation for Christine. Most London Phantoms I've seen tend to play "Christine, I love you..." with a certain amount of restrained dignity, simply stating it as a sort of resigned truth, not necessarily trying to pressurise Christine into changing her mind but Scott sung it in a very pleading sort of way. Didn't hold his hand out for the ring, forced Christine to pull his arm up and then followed her almost off the stage as she left, trying to reach out to her.

Very different from recent Phantoms. Maybe that's why I didn't particularly like it at the time; but with hindsight I think I'd definitely like to see him again.

Raoul was, I think (not sure), Will Barratt again... I really like him as Raoul but he does remind me quite strikingly of David Cameron in both voice and looks; I wouldn't be surprised if he gets quite a bit of TV or film work if the impending Tory cataclysm actually comes to pass... Maybe he'll be Cameron's Michael Sheen tongue.

Incidentally, Friday night I was at Les Mis and I couldn't help but notice how superior Queen's Theatre is following refurbishment. Not sure when this work was done? The seats are very comfortable, sort of bench like now rather than individual seats welded together as in other theatres, especially HM's. Seems to give much more room, not sure whether they've maybe chopped a seat from each row or it's just better design but certainly a real contrast to being crammed into the front row of HM's... Only downside to refurb at Queens is that there now seems to be only 1 gents' toilet in the stalls and 3 ladies' :-( I didn't notice that the toilet in the Stalls bar had been converted to a ladies and waltzed straight in; only the suspiciously pleasant decor made me think twice before committing a terrible faux pas.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:48 pm

You did indeed see Will Barratt. What is your opinion of his acting? I, and a few others, seem to be of the opinion he seems to just stand around quite a lot, it is quite odd.

I think the refurbishment of the Queen's was a few months ago now as various rows were closed off etc for a period of time not too long ago.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:37 pm

ruthy wrote:You did indeed see Will Barratt. What is your opinion of his acting? I, and a few others, seem to be of the opinion he seems to just stand around quite a lot, it is quite odd.
I rather liked him as Raoul. I got the feeling he had a vision of what his character was all about, it seemed defined in a way. I do prefer Simon Bailey, as he adds a LOT to the role. but I was happy to catch Barrett's performance as well.

Interesting to read about Scott Davies!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Interesting to read Mandrake's thoughts on Scott Davies. As for Will Barratt, I've seen him in the role twice - and the performances were fairly far apart (the first time, Simon Bailey had been sick and then was on holidays the second time - about a six week gap between these two particular performances that I saw). The first time, I concur that he 'stood around' a lot and was lost in the scene - as if he was waiting for his own lines. There wasn't much fluidity. The second time, there was a marked improvement. He gave it a real go and channeled Simon Bailey while in the lasso during Final Lair, for instance. I liked his vocals - very pure a la Steve Barton, and definitely a lot less 'angry' than Simon Bailey.

Mandrake -- I agree wholeheartedly about the Queen's. The inside is much, much nicer than it used to be. I remember thinking that Les Mis was moving into a dump when it transferred from the beautiful Palace a few years ago...but it looks like CamMac has spent some serious money on the theatre. Why not, I guess, when you have a show with an open-ended run?

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm

I saw him... mid November so he may have improved since then. His Final Lair sounds like it has definitely improved as when I went it was very dull, he was just standing there even during the Final Lair which really killed the scene. I absolutely adore his vocals though, not better than Simon's but very different and rather lovely. Friends who went yesterday still weren't too impressed with him so I just took it from them he hadn't improved.

I would like to see him again at some point but perhaps in a few months, and I don't know if I'd book specifically when Simon had a holiday off. I would also love an opportunity to see Matthew Gent. I know he is not going to be my idea of a Raoul (if his Marius was anything to go by) but he is just so cute... yes that is a perfectly reasonable excuse to want to see someone in a role!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:49 am

ruthy wrote:I saw him... mid November so he may have improved since then. His Final Lair sounds like it has definitely improved as when I went it was very dull, he was just standing there even during the Final Lair which really killed the scene.

I hate it when Raouls just stand there in the Final Lair scene. I think it'll be worse seeing one now that I'm used to Simon Bailey, who always puts loads of energy into that scene. I used to find Simon's portrayal a bit too angry, but now I think it works.

Friends who went yesterday still weren't too impressed with him so I just took it from them he hadn't improved.

Did they mention anything about Scott's Phantom?

I would also love an opportunity to see Matthew Gent. I know he is not going to be my idea of a Raoul (if his Marius was anything to go by) but he is just so cute... yes that is a perfectly reasonable excuse to want to see someone in a role!

Definately a reasonable excuse! I didn't see his Marius, so I have no idea what he was like. It's always nice to see different portrayals.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:01 am

Sorry I just realised I went so much on my Will tangent I forgot all about Scott. One last point about Will when I saw him he actually backed away from The Phantom numerous times in the Final Lair... I am probably just not used to that interpretation now. But it does sound like he is improving now hopefully so that's good as I love his vocals.

They said Scott was quite operatic and was a very emotional Phantom especially on the "I love you" in the Final Lair. Also that he wasn't afraid to really go for it which is nice to hear.

In David's defence I also know someone who went on Wednesday (seems to have been a packed Phantom week) who said he had improved a million percent since they had saw him just in December and he was really going for it. It sounds like our Phantom's could all be becoming extremely strong which I like.

Simon's lost his voice so looks like he could be out for a few days yet but he usually only takes a day or two off when he is ill so could be back sooner I guess. If he isn't back tomorrow or Tuesday and Will somehow gets ill we could get a Matthew show. I must admit I also just want to see a Raoul with an afro!

ETA: I changed my username incase I have thoroughly confused anyone with that!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 am

dolly-ry wrote:
Simon's lost his voice so looks like he could be out for a few days yet but he usually only takes a day or two off when he is ill so could be back sooner I guess. If he isn't back tomorrow or Tuesday and Will somehow gets ill we could get a Matthew show. I must admit I also just want to see a Raoul with an afro!

Raoul with an afro?! Maybe they'll give him a wig!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:25 am

Well it is more "a lot of bouncy curls" than an "afro." They can't give him a wig, I demand to see a bouncy curly haired Raoul. Ha.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:03 am

I remember that Scott Davies in his last run did play for emotion, and he appeared to be truly one of the most vulnerable Phantoms toward the end of the final lair. I remember that he used to make loud sobbing noises -- I wonder if he's still doing that or not.

I also just remembered something about Will Barratt's performance. The first time I saw him (which must have been one of his first few performances), from what I could tell (and I was in B10, so I was in good position to see!), he was too late to rescue Christine from the chandelier just before the interval! As the chandelier grazed over my head, I saw him emerge from stage left. Gina looked at him as if to say "too late, buddy!" and just ran to avoid it. I guess the timing is tight on that particular cue!

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Perhaps he was taking cues from Simon and couldn't quite pull it off, I think because of how slow the chandelier seems to go Simon often waits until the last minute. Poor Will though, what did he do?

Looks as though David will indeed stay after May as apparently Scott will have dates sometime in June due to David getting married.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 pm

To the new audience member, I don't think anyone would really have noticed -- Will ran toward the chandelier and, I guess, stopped when the pyro went off. There was more than the usual five to six second break before the house lights went up for the interval, but it wasn't very noticeable.

I'm not surprised about David Shannon staying on...and good to hear about his good news. It's been a while since Mr Davis has had a go at the Phantom, though! Too bad, since I thought he did well under the mask.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Simon Bailey is off again for both performances today. Will is getting a lot of performances under his belt now just need to get Matthew Gent on, there was a week Simon was on and Will was off that I was convinced Matthew would get on, but he didn't.

I know it is lovely to hear he is staying on and about his news. I would assume he'll probably take a week or two off? You know Davis/Davies is going to confuse me so much, you ARE talking about Stephen aren't you? It is a shame he hasn't been on in a while but he has at least a good few performances he got to do, Ian Pirie last year was on very little.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:21 pm

dolly-ry wrote:Simon Bailey is off again for both performances today. Will is getting a lot of performances under his belt now just need to get Matthew Gent on, there was a week Simon was on and Will was off that I was convinced Matthew would get on, but he didn't.

I know it is lovely to hear he is staying on and about his news. I would assume he'll probably take a week or two off? You know Davis/Davies is going to confuse me so much, you ARE talking about Stephen aren't you? It is a shame he hasn't been on in a while but he has at least a good few performances he got to do, Ian Pirie last year was on very little.
Oh, that's true! Two similar names for the Phantom understudies.

I agree about it being fun seeing a second Raoul understudy. I actually loved Will Barrett in the role, but one of the joys of seeing POTO multiple times is to see different people in the role. And understudies is always fun to see! Dought you'll get Gent without wig, though... David Shannon with the "corn rows" was alas never seen on stage when he played Raoul... Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:25 pm

But he had his curly hair as Marius Sad They can't put a wig on him Sad But I know that they are strict about Raoul's hair (poor Raouls.)

Maybe we should start referring to Davies/Davis as SD and SJD now (oh but even that is similar) or just Stephen and Scott?

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next