Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WICKED.....

+13
Miss von Krolock
EarlFan
Scorp
Helen
HerMajesty
operafantomet
phantomphan1992
Paula74
starryeyed
Enjolras
phantomgirl110
phantom10906
Callie Daae
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WICKED..... Empty WICKED.....

Post  Callie Daae Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:59 am

I really want to see it. Is it as good as everyone says it is? Smile

Last edited by Callie Daae on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

WICKED..... Empty Re: WICKED.....

Post  phantom10906 Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 am

Well, I just saw it at the start of September in SF. I thought the cast seemed tired and the audience was empty from row S back. It was OK, but I thought it was grossly overrated. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't near as good as when my own imagination thought it would be. But to each his own. I'm sure you'll love it. Very Happy
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:03 am

Phantom10906 wrote:Well, I just saw it at the start of September in SF. I thought the cast seemed tired and the audience was empty from row S back. It was OK, but I thought it was grossly overrated. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't near as good as when my own imagination thought it would be. But to each his own. I'm sure you'll love it. Very Happy

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that I've noticed from the clips I've watched is that I think the costumes look to modern.....since the Wizard Of Oz is such an old story. Does anyone else think that or is it just me??! Smile
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:39 am

Callie Daae wrote:
Phantom10906 wrote:Well, I just saw it at the start of September in SF. I thought the cast seemed tired and the audience was empty from row S back. It was OK, but I thought it was grossly overrated. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't near as good as when my own imagination thought it would be. But to each his own. I'm sure you'll love it. Very Happy

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that I've noticed from the clips I've watched is that I think the costumes look to modern.....since the Wizard Of Oz is such an old story. Does anyone else think that or is it just me??! Smile

You're welcome. I think they do look a little modern for the show. I will see it again though. For all i know it was just an off night. But know that it is not "the Phantom of the modern day". Very Happy
phantom10906
phantom10906

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:52 am

I quite enjoy Wicked, but I also have never seen what the big fuss is about. I've only seen it once - it was in 2005 and it was great - and I'd be happy to see it again, but I don't really get the big hubbub over it. To each his own, of course. Several close friends of mine absolutely adore it. Perhaps the next time I see it I'll be overwhelmed with love for it and finally understand the obsession. Or perhaps I won't.

As for the costumes, I don't think they're too modern. Oz is an entirely different world, so you can't really compare their fashions with ours. I also don't think the release of the original story should have any bearing on what the clothing looks like. Look at the Ozian costumes in the 1939 movie; how much did those look like things anybody was actually wearing in the '30s and '40s? It's all a fantasyland, which pretty much gives them a wardrobe with no boundaries.
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:35 am

I also felt that the second act was missing something. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but there is something missing. I think i might go see it again though on the first anniversery, If any bay area phans are interested just say so Very Happy
phantom10906
phantom10906

Back to top Go down

Post  Enjolras Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 am

Wicked wasn't really great to be honest. The best part was Julie Murney's performance as Elpheba
Enjolras
Enjolras

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 am

Wicked is an odd one... I love the soundtrack, can listen to all the songs, but actually seeing the show... I hate it. I don't really know what that is about. I'd probably only go back if someone I liked was in the cast, even then you'd have to force me.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm

I've been curious about seeing it. I meant to see it when Kendra Kassebaum was Galinda a little while ago because I loved her as Amy in the 5th Avenue Theatre's Company. But I just never got around to it.

I don't love the entire cast recording, but there are enough songs on it that I like enough that, given a chance, I'd see the show.

It's coming to Proctor's Theatre up here in December, but I don't think I'll have a chance to see it. Too much going on. But if I have a free day and can get a cheap "Cloud Club" seat, I'll go. The ads for it, by the way, are all over the place around here.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Paula74 wrote:I've been curious about seeing it. I meant to see it when Kendra Kassebaum was Galinda a little while ago because I loved her as Amy in the 5th Avenue Theatre's Company. But I just never got around to it.

I don't love the entire cast recording, but there are enough songs on it that I like enough that, given a chance, I'd see the show.

It's coming to Proctor's Theatre up here in December, but I don't think I'll have a chance to see it. Too much going on. But if I have a free day and can get a cheap "Cloud Club" seat, I'll go. The ads for it, by the way, are all over the place around here.

You should see all the ads for it around San Francisco. You can't even move without seeing one. Shocked
phantom10906
phantom10906

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:17 pm

I saw it back in 2007, and I loved it. It's one of those things where, overrated as it may be, I can't help enjoy myself. I'm definitely seeing it again when it comes back to Dallas next year.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:13 am

"Wicked" is said to open in Copenhagen (Det Ny Teater) in September 2010. Still not confirmed, though...
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 am

Wicked is a great show but the quality depends on the cast. I saw Idina Menzel twice in London and she was stunning. I wasn't mad keen on Kerry Ellis although she sang it very well, and I liked Alexia Khadime.

One thing I will say though, this show is MUCH better in London than on Broadway - it was utterly flat and looked like it needed to close with a mediocre cast over there!

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Yes, the story does seem a bit odd. I've watched some videos on Youtube. I love Popular, Defying Gravity, and For Good. But I don't like the ending. Like how she didn't actually melt, Rolling Eyes when I first saw the clip in Youtube I was like Oh, come on, that's just odd! Me personally I have always loved the regular Wizard Of Oz story.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Well despite hating it I am going this Wednesday. I think I will have Ashleigh Gray as Elphaba and full cast apart from that. Will see if I prefer it this time round...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Well, I've never actually read the novel, but I think
Spoiler:
Like I said though, I've never read it, nor do I plan to, but I think that's what I've heard.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:42 pm

phantomphan1992 wrote:Well, I've never actually read the novel, but I think
Spoiler:
Like I said though, I've never read it, nor do I plan to, but I think that's what I've heard.

Actually there's a twist at the end, but I won't say what it is, for those of you who don't know. But a couple people I know who've read it hated it. And couldn't get through the whole book.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Callie Daae wrote:Actually there's a twist at the end, but I won't say what it is, for those of you who don't know. But a couple people I know who've read it hated it. And couldn't get through the whole book.

My friend was one of those people. She said the musical was much better.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:06 pm

phantomphan1992 wrote:
Callie Daae wrote:Actually there's a twist at the end, but I won't say what it is, for those of you who don't know. But a couple people I know who've read it hated it. And couldn't get through the whole book.

My friend was one of those people. She said the musical was much better.

I haven't been able to get through the book...and that's pretty rare for me. The author has a lot of local ties so I almost felt I *had* to read it. The first time, I just picked it up in a bookstore and read part while waiting for someone to finish with a haircut. I couldn't get into it, but I tried getting it from the library later. Still couldn't make myself read much of it.

Just going with the cast recording so far, I like the musical better.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:02 pm

I really liked the book, but I'm one of the very few I know who did. My mom, who can read just about anything, hated it and didn't finish it.

Spoiler:
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Who would you guys say you like better Glinda or Elphaba? Like I've said, I haven't seen it live, but from what I watched on Youtube I'm not that crazy about Elphaba. I don't know, her moodiness just kind of annoys me! Very Happy
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm

I agree. Elphaba can get on my nerves, depending on how the actress portrays her.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Callie Daae wrote:Who would you guys say you like better Glinda or Elphaba?

It depends on who's playing Glinda for me. Usually I prefer Elphaba, but once I saw a fantastic Glinda and I much preferred her to Elphaba. Glinda gets to wear nicer costumes!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:20 am

And now it's actually official:

WICKED TIL DET NY TEATER

EN MUSICAL - TO HEKSE - UENDELIG MAGI !

Det Ny Teater har erhvervet rettighederne til tidens største musical-succes på Broadway og i Londons West End: musical-fænomenet Wicked.

Wicked har lige siden urpremieren i 2003 været og er fortsat Broadways største publikumssucces og samtidig den forestilling, der uge for uge genererer den største omsætning. Wicked er efterfølgende blevet sat op i London, Stuttgart, Osaka, Melbourne og senest i Sydney, og har alle steder slået alle tidligere publikumsrekorder.

Wicked, der er baseret på en roman med samme titel, handler om Heksene fra Oz og hensætter publikum i en fantastisk verden fuld af magi, heksekraft og trylleri.

Wicked er endnu ikke programsat på teatret.

Det Ny Teater is making it official that "Wicked" is coming after Mary Poppins. I guess they had to tell it, seeing it leaked out through unofficial sources... Cool Many people knew, at least.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:21 am

Helen wrote:

It depends on who's playing Glinda for me. Usually I prefer Elphaba, but once I saw a fantastic Glinda and I much preferred her to Elphaba. Glinda gets to wear nicer costumes!

Who was the Glinda you saw? Smile
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 am

Callie Daae wrote:
Helen wrote:

Who was the Glinda you saw? Smile

Can't remember her name and I don't have my programme to hand, but she's the current standby in the London production.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 am

I prefer Glinda, I don't actually know why, I think I prefer the songs she sings perhaps... but that's not to say Kerry Ellis wasn't fantastic as Elphaba when I saw it.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:04 am

Callie Daae wrote:
phantomphan1992 wrote:Well, I've never actually read the novel, but I think
Spoiler:

Actually there's a twist at the end, but I won't say what it is, for those of you who don't know. But a couple people I know who've read it hated it. And couldn't get through the whole book.

I read the book after seeing the show on Broadway and thought it was far superior. The book's a powerful political allegory. The show is Disneyfied fluff that loses all of the book's power and panders to 4 year olds. Reading the book basically made me lose all respect for the show. If I had been a die-hard fan of the novel prior to the creation of the musical, I would have been horrified by what I saw on stage.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:16 pm

What did you guys think was overrated about it???
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Callie Daae wrote:What did you guys think was overrated about it???

I found most of the songs to be very lackluster. The story seemed rather chopped up and seem to be missing something in Act II. The acting (at least from Teal Wicks and some of the ensemble) seemed rather tired. I did love the costumes and the sets though. Smile
phantom10906
phantom10906

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next