Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

+61
phantom5251
Riene
RichardN86
Irina de France
ChristineDaae1982
Phantomess
Scorp
todaaefor
mesadallas
demonsmoke
Countess of Rothes
MarySkater
SenorSwanky
LadyCDaae
jennyfair
FdelOpera
Bric
Modern Myth
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
lonely nightingale
MasqPhan
Brandon1351
Phantour
Paula74
stephantom53
phantom10906
ladygodiva
CrimsonAvenger
Mme Reyer
EarlFan
London-Phan
sk8phan
justin-from-barbados
NightRachel
Raphael
operafantomet
Callie Daae
Masqueradelove
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
AngelOfMusic325
Becky
AlwaysChristine
purplehaze93
Viscountess
InkedAlchemist
robhawkins
Cape Twirl of Doom
ravnquest1
phan101
alaron
ML6
Reverie
thegenuinebeauty
MajesticPhantom
mona lisa
Stephanie
auctioneer
Madame Giry
Phantom on a Budget
alaron4
StrangerThanUDreamt
65 posters

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 24 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:57 pm

from what I can 'hear' he certainly has the voice, and I am always partial to phantoms with big booming voices. But I think he will get better once he settles in. At the moment, he kind of reminds me more of Ciaran Sheehan's Phantom with a bit of an odd accent at times and sometimes some pronunciation that reminds me a lot of Anthony Crivello (but in a good way).
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 24 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  Scorp Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:45 pm

phantomfett wrote:Peter Joback is missing.

Good point! Anyone know the date? I can probably find it by googling...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:17 am

Scorp wrote:

April 29, 2013

I had the luck to see Norm's last few shows as well as most of James's first week. Norm's last show was certainly an emotional one. My thoughts on James: vocally, he is superb. I kept getting hints of Davis Gaines and some slight Colm in his voice. Acting wise I felt he was quite Crawfordesque in the way that he moved in both MOTN and FL. Looks wise HE IS HUGE, very long and lean. All in all, I can't wait to see him when I return. Very Happy
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 pm

I find it a tad odd that none of the usual broadway sites I go to like playbill and broadway.com / world have not put up the usual "opening night photo gallery" are they fearful of a backlash of more negative comments or are the people in charge doing their own kind of protest against the casting, or is it just not a big deal? or was there just no one there to photo it?

Either way as usual I am looking forward to a full photo spread from at least the FB page
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:57 pm

I've been wondering the same thing, and it has to be an intentional PR move. There's been absolutely no acknowledgement of Barbour on the official Facebook or Twitter that I've seen.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:51 pm

maybe it is PR on the production;s side, although the cast have been very supportive from what I gathered
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:38 am

SenorSwanky wrote:I've been wondering the same thing, and it has to be an intentional PR move. There's been absolutely no acknowledgement of Barbour on the official Facebook or Twitter that I've seen.

Of course it's intentional. They're still receiving lots of complaints from angered fans so posting photos and going into PR overdrive probably isn't going to do much good. I can't say I have much sympathy for the PR team; they're generally incompetent anyway and perhaps wouldn't have been in this situation had they not aggressively deleted all the initial backlash comments (before giving up) and then claimed that they loved their fans and were appreciative of their feedback (echoes of what happened re Paint Never Dries...I guess they didn't learn any lessons on how to handle social media from that experience). Now anything they do relating to Barbour will be pounced upon no matter what. It's their own fault for not handling the situation better to begin with at the start.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:40 am

phantom10906 wrote:
Scorp wrote:

April 29, 2013

Thanks!
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomess Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:22 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
Phantom on a Budget wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:Can someone remind me what Kaley's alternate schedule is?
Monday and Thursday matinee.
Thought that was still the case, but somewhere it was mentioned that could change when Julia Udine joins.

Does BroadwayBox do discounts post-Christmas? So far they only run through 12/20, and I'm hoping to see it 12/29.

Chiming in late on this (as I haven't been here in some time), but I just wanted to say that I'm so glad you got to see Kaley. Isn't she fabulous? I'm super-proud as she worked with my voice teacher before she went to Point Park in Pittsburgh. She is so ideal for the role and has an incredible natural talent and polish for her age. I wish all of the current Christines were of her level. As you know, I've always echoed Rebecca Caine's sentiments --- that Christine should actually sound like a young opera singer and should be able to give Carlotta a run for her money. The only other Christine I've heard among recent casts who has impressed me was Elizabeth Welch.
Phantomess
Phantomess

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Yeah, she was a standout (and cute as a button). I dare say she was more impressive than Norm.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomess Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Yes, she's adorable. So perfect for the role! And this story of her discovery is quite remarkable. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.
Phantomess
Phantomess

Back to top Go down

Post  ianjonbourgandethanfreema Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:38 am

I ended up seeing Norm Lewis as The Phantom four times.

On June 12, 2014 (matinee) he was doing his first show after blowing his voice out and it showed. His MOTN was painful, which made me sad because his opening night was AMAZING and he nailed all his notes. The whole show, he was VERY subdued and his performance was very...well flat and boring. It was "I need to go here, then go here, and do this here, and move this finger for 5 seconds..." etc. I left very disappointed.

On January 17, 2015 he was more...'settled'...in the role. And I cannot say this was always in a good way. His performance went from subdued to CAMPY. Every movement had to be overstated, his MOTN, while sung very well (minus BEEE), was ridiculous to watch. However...his unmasking was different. Norm's unmasking was TERRIFIC. He was terrifying and shouting at Christine, and then crawling on the ground a heaping...broken down mess crying real tears. Ouch. That one hurt me. The rest of his performance was VERY good until the Final Lair, which was his only other real scene to put a real spin, and it was again a camp fest. Pouting and stomping around like a 2 year old, that ridiculous horse gallop, rubbing his fingers together when saying "prize which you must earn" (like he was talking about money), it was just silly. But the end...oh the end...heart breaking. He choked thru "Christine I love you" and the way he yelled it after her and sobbed into the wedding veil was truly sad. All in all...a more interesting performance but not always good.

I saw both of his final shows on February 7. The Matinee energy was LOW but Norm still gave it his all, same as he did in the evening. He REALLY pushed his voice in the evening which resulted in his cracking at the end of BEEE, though he didn't even hit it in the matinee so guess thats better than nothing! The Final Lair was still very campy too, but the emotion in the evening show was heightened like crazy and even more sad at the end. Norm got, I think, 3 well deserved standing ovations for that final show and he more than earned it.

While I can't say I find him good in the role, he is certainly unique, brought a new and unusual spin, and when his voice was on? One of the best in the role in years. I will miss him.

However...is it safe to talk about Barbour here? I know on tumblr if you bring up that name someone will come to your home and slaughter you.

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:19 am

Yeah, the anti-Barbour idiots are just that...idiots. And it's kept the producers from revealing anything about the production other than stupid memes. It's almost like the show's closed. So do discuss his performance. Other than audio of his first show, I have no idea what he's like.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ianjonbourgandethanfreema Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:45 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Yeah, the anti-Barbour idiots are just that...idiots. And it's kept the producers from revealing anything about the production other than stupid memes. It's almost like the show's closed. So do discuss his performance. Other than audio of his first show, I have no idea what he's like.

I wouldn't call them idiots. Their concerns and complaints are all legitimate. But for God's sake some of them went overkill. They need to understand there isn't much they can do, sadly. And the people in support need to understand that telling the people who don't support him to 'kill themselves' wont solve anything either.

I'm in the boat of: "I'm supporting the show/myself. Not the man". Phantom is what I go to when I'm feeling down, and if he is going to be the man I see, there isn't anything I can do about it. So its better off just...live and let live.

Now, I saw James on March 6th to try and make me feel better after a bout of depression/anxiety. I enjoyed it enough that when we got home, we got tickets for Monday the 23rd.
I'll post a review then, because by that point his performance will be more in my mind what is was like after seeing it twice, especially from 3rd row left this time! Hope thats okay? Just know it is VERY good. But they need to fire whoever is directing the final lair...again will explain more after seeing the performance again.

I will tell you this: best voice you'll hear live in the role in years. The audios don't do it any justice. It'll blow you out of your seat.
Also, expect a video from Sunsetblvd in the yahoo groups possibly in April...

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm

It's a shame that people on both sides of the Barbour issue have behaved so badly that the publicists have to worry about a nasty backlash if they post anything. It's crazy how we went from what some people saw as overexposure with Sierra to absolutely *nothing* about the actor in the title role.

But, well, I think the phandom is used to extremes and divisiveness.

On a lighter note...some old school phans from Buffalo:

http://www.buffalonews.com/gusto/theater-previews/after-25-years-super-fans-passion-for-phantom-remains-strong-20150315
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ianjonbourgandethanfreema Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:01 am

First off:
People need to learn to shut the hell up during a show. I did not pay 200+ dollars to listen to people laugh, whisper, and talk during the show, and I'm sure that if they have that much extra money to waste on talking in a fancier setting than they should do it somewhere ELSE.
It was so bad it distracted me during the show, my anxiety levels shot up, and I was so angry I could hardly pay attention. But...I managed to hone in my focus on James. So here's my report for you all:

Best. Voice. Ever. I mean...hell if you all are needing a reason to see the show? Go for his voice alone. Bootlegs do it 0 justice. Live...it blows you out of your seat. Best voice the Majestic has had since Davis Gaines in 1996.

Acting wise...very minimal and subtle. He does all the movements and its not like he's just going thru the motions but he's...well he's just very minimalistic. It is in no way a bad performance, however. I kind of relate him to Michael Crawford in terms of his acting choices, he goes for the less insane, more emotional performance. He does not make "sad puppy noises" however.
His 'Stranger Than You Dreamt It' is wonderful with some of the most heart breaking sad puppy eyes you will ever see, and his AIAOY reprise is terrific because that voice at the end of the song is just...ugh, and with that voice he is INCREDIBLY commanding and intimidating. His "Final Lair" is also incredibly moving but you need to be sitting close so you can see his facial expressions. He does this great bit when he's holding the wedding veil, and when he sings "or do you send him to his grave" he holds the veil up like a noose. Also his "you try my patience, make your choice" is wonderful, he growls/whispers the first part...but the second part is just...quiet and broken, and he stands there just looking...well done. Done with the world. And my God his faces when he lets Raoul go. And when he's about to cut down the noose and Christine thinks he's going to hurt Raoul he just looks so...hurt by it.

So yeah. He gives a very emotional performance though at times it comes off as a very minimalistic portrayal. Keep in mind though this is still VERY early on in the run and things continue to change from performance to performance, heck a lot changed from the two weeks since I saw him!

But yeah. Go for the voice. I mean it. You may think "thats kind of a small reason?".
No. You will understand when you hear it live.

Anyway I will be back on April 23 matinee XD Y'all need to go and see Kaley Ann Voorhees. Nicest girl you will ever meet. And an amazing actress with a very brilliant mind when it comes to the show and her choices. The production isn't boxing her in cement with the blocking and directing, so every show is a bit different. Her voice is amazing and her acting is just exquisite.

Broadway is shaping up amazingly lately I really must say, if you all are gonna see it, now is a great time. I recommend seeing James and Kaley together!

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for posting your review, Ian!

Reading your review makes me really want to go see James' Phantom...and since I've seen him in other musicals, I know first-hand what an incredible voice he has. So it kinda doesn't surprise me when you say his Phantom has one of the best voices ever. Smile
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  todaaefor Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

My review of the US Tour is complete. I posted it in the reviews section, but just in case people are following this thread for updates, I thought I'd share here as well.

https://desertedphans.forumotion.net/t607-us-tour-4-1-15-wharton-center-east-lansing-mi-mann-travis-lineberger#22824

Spoiler heavy!

todaaefor

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Sat May 02, 2015 2:31 am

First pictures of James Barbour as the Phantom: Click here
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat May 02, 2015 2:43 am

He looks great. Wish they weren't scared to post more.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Sat May 02, 2015 1:32 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:He looks great. Wish they weren't scared to post more.

^This. Smile
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Glad the photos are out, however, the one used outside the theatre would not have been my first choice
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Mon May 04, 2015 4:17 pm

The whole Barbour thing was a horrible time to be a phan, to be honest.

Long rambling in the spoiler, and this is my first post on this forum, yay me... lol!

Spoiler:
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Mon May 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Welcome, Irina! Sorry to hear you've been getting the ugly side of phandom lately. We try to be nice here.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 24 Empty Planning to see POTO when it Arrives In Los Angeles...

Post  ChristineDaae1982 Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 am

Question to you all:

Is the Touring POTO re-production w/Chris Mann worth it??! I was planning on seeing it in LA, CA as a 33rd birthday present come time May 27th rolls round. It'll be a birthday present from my mother. I want any/all you're options as Phans, positive and negative, so that I can weigh them out and see if it'll be worth the expense. Thanks bunches!

ChristineDaae1982
ChristineDaae1982
ChristineDaae1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am

Well, one thing I can tell you is that singing-wise, if you only go to see the US tour for the voices, then yes, it's totally worth it. I say that and I've only heard audio bootlegs of Chris Mann, and of course, I can imagine that live, he sounds a lot better. His voice is THE THING. And I do hope he'll get stolen by Broadway like Julia Udine. And... well, personally, I hate the staging and overall interpretation of the restaged tour, but hey, some people do like it, so maybe you'll be among them, who knows? Very Happy
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:04 am

OK, so Broadway's Christine alt. Kaley Ann Voorhees is leaving to do this Hal Prince thing in Japan... Any news on who's replacing her, and whether it's just temporarily or permanent?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Was wondering the same thing, surely they would know by now unless they are just going to bring back Mary or Sam if she is free.
I remember the old days of the 'proper' US tour when they practically had a Christine factory going on and there was a time when they were swapping around Christines at a rapid pace (I think alot of them were getting pregnant or something like that)
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 pm

My hypothesis is that Kaley leaving POTO is temporary: it's surprising they haven't announced the new alternate yet, since it would really be last a really last-minute announcement. Maybe Elizabeth Welch will be the alternate for a while, while Susan Owen goes for Hannibal Princess/Mirror Bride/etc.?
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Tim Jerome is also leaving. It makes me wonder what, if any, other cast changes are happening.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next