Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

+61
phantom5251
Riene
RichardN86
Irina de France
ChristineDaae1982
Phantomess
Scorp
todaaefor
mesadallas
demonsmoke
Countess of Rothes
MarySkater
SenorSwanky
LadyCDaae
jennyfair
FdelOpera
Bric
Modern Myth
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
lonely nightingale
MasqPhan
Brandon1351
Phantour
Paula74
stephantom53
phantom10906
ladygodiva
CrimsonAvenger
Mme Reyer
EarlFan
London-Phan
sk8phan
justin-from-barbados
NightRachel
Raphael
operafantomet
Callie Daae
Masqueradelove
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
AngelOfMusic325
Becky
AlwaysChristine
purplehaze93
Viscountess
InkedAlchemist
robhawkins
Cape Twirl of Doom
ravnquest1
phan101
alaron
ML6
Reverie
thegenuinebeauty
MajesticPhantom
mona lisa
Stephanie
auctioneer
Madame Giry
Phantom on a Budget
alaron4
StrangerThanUDreamt
65 posters

Page 6 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 6 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:06 pm

You raise a good point about audiences getting what they want. The NY production has been grossing extraordinary numbers this year!

I think it's just that I want theatre to be so much more than a representation, but to have it be something that takes the audience by the shoulders and wakes them up a bit with a shake. A lot of American theatre (in the mainstream) sort of allows an audience to sit back and view. We're a rather insular culture in the United States, lacking the ability to rise to an artistic occasion.

I sound like I'm a bit on a high horse, of sorts, but I come from a very charged theatrical background, particularly with education, studying under some very bold and daring thinkers about the form. I can't help but go in their direction (but I don't always agree with them, so I'm not necessarily regurgitating).
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 6 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  robhawkins Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

First time poster but long time fan (Saw Colm in 89, first of 40 shows I've seen live) and I couldn't agree more with fresh blood. I haven't seen Sierra live so I am fine with that.

But god help us we need a new Phantom. I mean in 25 years two actors have played the part almost HALF the time. I liked Howard's sad parts and final lair, but his music of the night was listless. DO SOMETHING with your body man! He really seemed to not give his all often.

Hugh gives more but I find him a bit of a ham actor to be honest. There's a snarky, mean spirited, sarcastic, hard to take serious in EVERYTHING he does that just grates on me. And when Christine comes back and he gets up with this "I knew you'd come back I AM much better than Raoul" arrogant expression on his face I actually not that upset when Christine walks away. I know many of you love his voice but his acting needs a lot of work to me. Everyone says I must have seen a rare bad show of his but I've seen him six times. I used to go 4 times a year but with Hugh I only go once a year cause I know I will spend the whole show changing his acting in my head.

We desperately need fresh blood willing to explore the subtle approach. If we must get a London Phantom send JOJ over here. He's def done the part enough, but his approach is so different from anyone else in NY it will seem very fresh.

robhawkins

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm

robhawkins wrote:First time poster but long time fan (Saw Colm in 89, first of 40 shows I've seen live) and I couldn't agree more with fresh blood.
Can I just off-track this thread by saying OMGSOJEALOUSYOU'VESEENCOLMWILKINSONLIVE!!!! ?

Welcome to the forum. Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  robhawkins Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 pm

I was nearly ten years old. I was a huge fan even then, used my Fisher Price cassette player to make an off air copy of the LP. The library's copy which skipped horribly. Had loved the movies, even the Phantom terrorizing the Muppet Babies. ANYWAY come the week of my birthday, September 21, my dad told me about a business trip his company was taking to Toronto and I was coming for a few days.

I was upset, missing a party, presents etc but he assured me it would be worth it. He couldn't get tickets to NYC till 91 but someone he scored tickets for September 20, 1989. So yeah I was there opening night.

robhawkins

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm

I think I just died with envy affraid
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:35 pm

I suppose a TINY bit of news is better than no news at all...

http://broadwayworld.com/article/THE-PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-Celebrates-25-Years-on-Broadway-126-20121015
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Paula74 wrote:I suppose a TINY bit of news is better than no news at all...

http://broadwayworld.com/article/THE-PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-Celebrates-25-Years-on-Broadway-126-20121015

Thanks, Paula, for posting this news. I've been checking the BroadwayWorld site every day for any news on the Broadway 25th, and yes, at least this is *some* bit of news. Now we know the date and time of the gala performance. We still need to know the casting, and if tickets for the performance will be made available to the public.
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:36 pm

The new alternate:

Samantha Hill
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Paula74 wrote:The new alternate:

Samantha Hill
"At her audition Hill sang two of Christine's big numbers Think of Me and Learn to be Lonely."

DA FUUUUK? I hope they mean WYWSHA and not "Learn to be Lonely". That song is specific to the film, and has never been performed by Christine in any version.

Apart from that, yippee hooray for a brand new name, and she sounds very good judging from that article. Thank you for keep bringing news to this site, Paula!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:54 am

And it's official: Little Miss Overexposed will be Christine for the 25th. I still want to go see it, but really...

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 am

When I said the New York company should bring in former Vegas cast memebers, this is not what I had in mind.
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:17 am

I'm sorry, I'm m*thf*king tired of Sierra. Why couldn't it have been someone else?! She's already done ONE concert, why this one too? I'm so thankful she can't touch the Vienna concert.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:41 am

I knew we anticipated that Sierra might be the Broadway 25th Christine, but just seeing it made official just made me sigh. She's a lovely person by all accounts, and extremely talented; but I really would have preferred to see a *Broadway* Christine. It was a bit of a point of contention that she was cast for the 25th Anniversary of Phantom at RAH, but this is ridiculous.

Hmph.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  InkedAlchemist Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:18 am

Madame Giry wrote:I knew we anticipated that Sierra might be the Broadway 25th Christine, but just seeing it made official just made me sigh. She's a lovely person by all accounts, and extremely talented; but I really would have preferred to see a *Broadway* Christine. It was a bit of a point of contention that she was cast for the 25th Anniversary of Phantom at RAH, but this is ridiculous.

Hmph.

~Madame~

Agreed.

As much as I enjoyed her performance, she has NOTHING to do with the Broadway show. This should be a celebration of the Broadway cast... It's a complete slight to bring someone in because she's a more "famous" Christine.
InkedAlchemist
InkedAlchemist

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:11 am

Madame Giry wrote:I knew we anticipated that Sierra might be the Broadway 25th Christine, but just seeing it made official just made me sigh. She's a lovely person by all accounts, and extremely talented; but I really would have preferred to see a *Broadway* Christine. It was a bit of a point of contention that she was cast for the 25th Anniversary of Phantom at RAH, but this is ridiculous.

Hmph.
I've grown really fond of Sierra Boggess, but I agree. She had no connection whatsoever with the West End production, yet was hired to play Christine for the RAH 25th anniversary. She has no connection whatsoever with the Broadway production and is ONCE AGAIN hired for the 25th anniversary. I think it's a poor way of honouring history, and I think Sierra Boggess is already so over-exposed and well documented. I must admit I sighed - a kinda tired sigh.

And I'm already dreading the "Sierramin" fans raging over Hugh Panaro being the Phantom instead of Ramin Karimloo. As cute as their fans can be, their worship of "Sierramin" is... yeah.

I think the only positive thing to add here is that Sierra Boggess is more qualified than Marni Raab...? But I REALLY would have preferred a Broadway Christine this time around.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:37 am

operafantomet wrote:

Hmph.
IAnd I'm already dreading the "Sierramin" fans raging over Hugh Panaro being the Phantom instead of Ramin Karimloo. As cute as their fans can be, their worship of "Sierramin" is... yeah.
From Facebook silent

She is awesome ..!with Ramir so much better...!

If you get Ramin I will legit freak out

...without Ramin AND her I don't know if I want to... I don't know how to accept another Phantom...

if you got ramin.. i would come to every show.

Ramin better be phantom

They BETTER bring Ramin!!!! I will pay all kinds of money to see them

Ramin needs to be phantom!

Please please please bring Ramin with you!!!!

Sierra is amazing and please bring Ramin in. Can't wait!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151478224054689&set=a.178241399688.153059.55494929688&type=1
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:50 am

operafantomet wrote:
operafantomet wrote:

Hmph.
IAnd I'm already dreading the "Sierramin" fans raging over Hugh Panaro being the Phantom instead of Ramin Karimloo. As cute as their fans can be, their worship of "Sierramin" is... yeah.
From Facebook silent

She is awesome ..!with Ramir so much better...!

If you get Ramin I will legit freak out

...without Ramin AND her I don't know if I want to... I don't know how to accept another Phantom...

if you got ramin.. i would come to every show.

Ramin better be phantom

They BETTER bring Ramin!!!! I will pay all kinds of money to see them

Ramin needs to be phantom!

Please please please bring Ramin with you!!!!

Sierra is amazing and please bring Ramin in. Can't wait!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151478224054689&set=a.178241399688.153059.55494929688&type=1

Isn't that the seventh sign of the apocalypse?
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 am

personally I am thrilled, the only negative think i am feeling is that I wish her 'limited engagement' would run till September so I can see her live in the role. I know everyone has different tastes, but IMO, she has one of the strongest christine vocals in a while.

I'd have a much bigger issue if they were bringing in Ramin.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:43 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:I knew we anticipated that Sierra might be the Broadway 25th Christine, but just seeing it made official just made me sigh. She's a lovely person by all accounts, and extremely talented; but I really would have preferred to see a *Broadway* Christine.

And I'm already dreading the "Sierramin" fans raging over Hugh Panaro being the Phantom instead of Ramin Karimloo. As cute as their fans can be, their worship of "Sierramin" is... yeah.
I think the only positive thing to add here is that Sierra Boggess is more qualified than Marni Raab...? But I REALLY would have preferred a Broadway Christine this time around.

Okay, I have mixed feelings about this. I'm going to try to be honest here, even though I know both Sierra and Ramin are not well liked on this forum. I've said before that I am a fan of both of them as performers, and in particular of their Phantom and Christine, BUT.....
I kinda sighed a bit too when I heard this news. As much as I like Sierra's Christine, I think I'd rather see a *Broadway* Christine for the 25th gala performance (though not Marni Raab). Sierra already got to do the role for the London 25th, so I say let a *Broadway* Christine do the role for the *Broadway* 25th. Also, I admit I don't know how I'd feel seeing Sierra's Christine with Hugh Panaro's Phantom...since Ramin and Sierra, IMO, have such great chemistry together in those roles, I'd be hesitant to see Sierra opposite a Phantom actor other than Ramin. That being said, I would *not* want Ramin being the Broadway 25th Phantom -- I really think that wouldn't be right at all. So, while I admit I am a "Sierramin" fan, I am *not* one of the rabid teenage ones mentioned above, and I do feel strongly that, for the *Broadway* 25th, we should be seeing a *Broadway* Phantom and Christine. Neutral

Last edited by NightRachel on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added punctuation.)
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree there--I think Ramin is miscast as the Phantom and honestly felt Sierra carried both him and Hadley Fraser in the RAH concert (credit where it's due, she is talented, just overexposed and not the pinnacle of Christinedom her fans make her out to be). If there is a bright side to this, it's the chance to see her playing against actors more at her level.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:44 pm

NightRachel wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:I knew we anticipated that Sierra might be the Broadway 25th Christine, but just seeing it made official just made me sigh. She's a lovely person by all accounts, and extremely talented; but I really would have preferred to see a *Broadway* Christine.

Okay, I have mixed feelings about this. I'm going to try to be honest here, even though I know both Sierra and Ramin are not well liked on this forum.
I can't speak for others, but personally I like them both. A lot. Ramin Karimloo has been on my favourite Raouls list since the day I first saw him. Never warmed to his PHANTOM, but his RAOUL? Love. As for Sierra Boggess, she's grown on me. I didn't love her back in her Vegas and LND days, as I thought she wasn't particularly interesting on stage, despite a lovely voice. But somewhere along the road she picked up some good acting, because I think she was amazing in the RAH concert. Amazing in an understated way.

That does not make me a Sierramin shipper, however. Those folks seems to worship them as the ultimate Phantom and Christine, which must always perform together and ideally end up as a couple in real life too. Sorry to offend eventual Sierraminers here, but I've seen so much "shipping" and strong opinions on Tumblr and Facebook that I try to block out as much as possible of it. I think it goes too far on a frequent basis.

But yeah, West End was snubbed of a West End celebration. So many of the leads were not connected with the West End production at all, and they even shut down Phantom's original home for the anniversary. I understood after a while the celebration was not about 25 years of Phantom in the West End, but 25 years of Phantom in general. Despite the total lack of any foreign singers and productions...

I guess I just hoped it would be different for the Broadway anniversary, that they would celebrate Broadway Phantom's history. They partly are, I know. But as much as I love Sierra Boggess, it annoyed the crap out of me that she ONCE AGAIN is the anniversary Christine without having any connection whatsoever to the production and theatre. And that I have to deal with all the "WHYYYY isn't RAMIIIIIIN the PHANTOM????" comments to come. Neutral
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:20 pm

let's try something else. If you could, of any of the former Phantoms and Christines (from the US), who would you cast for the 25th gala?

my vocal standouts for ideal casting would be
Gaines, McGillin, Panaro (lately I am sort of on the fence with Panaro)
Vroman, Ford, Shayne (I absolutely love the vocals of those first 2 ladies.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm trying 100% Broadway here (though I know many has also been in the tour or in Vegas):

I'm very happy with Hugh Panaro as the Phantom for the anniversary. Loved him when I saw him last year. But of recent Phantoms on Broadway (not counting understudies, which I am sadly unfamiliar with) John Cudia is probably the one who's impressed me the most, acting and singing wise. He rocks.

For Christine I think Jennifer Hope Wills was a much needed breath of fresh air, and I secretly hoped for her to be the anniversary Christine. Sarah Lawrence would also have been lovely, though her run was in the US tour and Vegas I think.

RAOUL: Michael Shawn Lewis or Ryan Silverman
CARLOTTA: Michele McConnell! Stellar.
PIANGI: Larry Wayne Morbitt
MADAME GIRY: Marilyn Caskey. Period.
ANDRE: George Lee Andrews. Y'all know why.
FIRMIN: Less opinionated here.
MEG GIRY: Brianne Kelly Morgan but since we're talking Broadway Paloma Garcia Lee or Jessica Bishop.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Okay, well, I don't really know who I would cast for the Broadway 25th...might have to give that some more thought...but on a similar note to this...
I thought they did well with who played the roles for the record-breaking Bdwy gala performance back in January 2006. Although I didn't get to attend that gala, at least they had a *Broadway* Phantom (Howard McGillin) and Christine (Sandra Joseph) perform the roles.
Kinda wish they were doing similar for the Broadway 25th. Neutral
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm worried on who else is going to be added to this Anniversary. I don't want what London had, I want someone else. I want Broadway to be unique and special. Sierra ain't the second coming of Crawford, if I want to put it so bluntly.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:38 am

Very Happy I totally called it,my sources were right

Anyways, Im looking forward to seeing her, esp. opposite Hugh. In terms of stunt casting I hope this is as far as it goes for the leads.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Sierra & Hugh singing together from The Today Show a few years ago.
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:let's try something else. If you could, of any of the former Phantoms and Christines (from the US), who would you cast for the 25th gala?

my vocal standouts for ideal casting would be
Gaines, McGillin, Panaro (lately I am sort of on the fence with Panaro)
Vroman, Ford, Shayne (I absolutely love the vocals of those first 2 ladies.
Elizabeth Loyacano for Christine forever and ever!
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:20 pm

My ideal "Alumni" Cast who could still pull off being age appropriate for the celebration would be:

Phantom: Brad Little (though John Cudia was really, really wonderful)
Christine: Jennifer Hope Wills (Jennifer is about 40, but can still pull off younger, especially for a celebration!)
Raoul: Sean MacLaughlin
Carlotta: Michelle McConnell
Firmin/Andre: Could be played by George Lee Andrews and a former Phantom.
Madame Giry: Marilyn Caskey
Piango: Larry Wayne Morbitt
Meg: Paloma Garcia-Lee
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  purplehaze93 Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Considering this is the US tour thread, i thought this would be a good place to ask this: Has anyone seen Ron Bohmer? From my "sources", he sounds like a phenomenal Phantom, who really never got the recognition he deserved. It's a shame, because he is truly phenomenal.
As for a a 25th anniversary,
Phantom: Kevin Gray/Davis Gaines
Christine: Marni Raab/Jennifer Hope Wills
Raoul: John Cudia/Gary Mauer

I could imagine any pairing of those names being phenomenal!
purplehaze93
purplehaze93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next