Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

+61
phantom5251
Riene
RichardN86
Irina de France
ChristineDaae1982
Phantomess
Scorp
todaaefor
mesadallas
demonsmoke
Countess of Rothes
MarySkater
SenorSwanky
LadyCDaae
jennyfair
FdelOpera
Bric
Modern Myth
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
lonely nightingale
MasqPhan
Brandon1351
Phantour
Paula74
stephantom53
phantom10906
ladygodiva
CrimsonAvenger
Mme Reyer
EarlFan
London-Phan
sk8phan
justin-from-barbados
NightRachel
Raphael
operafantomet
Callie Daae
Masqueradelove
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
AngelOfMusic325
Becky
AlwaysChristine
purplehaze93
Viscountess
InkedAlchemist
robhawkins
Cape Twirl of Doom
ravnquest1
phan101
alaron
ML6
Reverie
thegenuinebeauty
MajesticPhantom
mona lisa
Stephanie
auctioneer
Madame Giry
Phantom on a Budget
alaron4
StrangerThanUDreamt
65 posters

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 5 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Why is it so dark?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 5 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm

i posted in the FB about that too, not only is it very beat up (i'd still love it cause it is a 'real' mask) and it is for a good cause, but that just is NOT Hugh's mask. Its tot totally wrong style. and no nostril, my guess is it is one of the old ones they keep in the throne.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that too.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah based on the wear I was thinking it was a Throne mask, too. Didn't notice the lack of nostril at first, but yeah, that's another reason why it probably wasn't a mask that was worn. Nixes out my alternative idea that it was a Phantom double mask, because unless I'm mistaken those are usually masks that were once worn by the principal Phantom but have become too worn out for the 'up close' scenes.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 pm

I cant believe I read somewhere that they have a box full of those old actual masks that the doubles just go and look through to find one that fits. I would so kill to get one that fits. If the company really wanted to raise money fast they could just have a sale, lol.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

The lack of nostril defiantly points towards it being a "Throne" mask; AND I'm trying to dig it up, but I read an article a while back about how the shading and coloring has to be done much heavier on the mask that Meg holds up, due to the brightness of the white/yellow spotlight that hits it, so the mask doesn't get washed out; that and there doesn't appear to be any wire or places for the wire that holds it into place when worn. So while this is a great piece going for a great cause, I have a feeling the description isn't 100 percent accurate...
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:I cant believe I read somewhere that they have a box full of those old actual masks that the doubles just go and look through to find one that fits. .... If the company really wanted to raise money fast they could just have a sale, lol.

Where's the like button? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Hmmm. It could just be that they used an older photo for the auction website.
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 am

operafantomet wrote:
ravnquest1 wrote:The only person I'd want to see from Vegas in New York (or anywhere) would be Brianne Kelly Morgan....and not because she's here, but because she maintained the same wonderful show every time I came back to see it. She never looked tired, apathetic, and never gave up on telling the story.
I'm surprised to hear this. I thought the Vegas production had a high-quality cast throughout, with one or two exceptions. And I consider myself spoiled by stellar casts I've seen in the past. Both Kristi Holden, Andrew Ragone and Brianne Kelly Morgan are waaaaay up there in my list of people who wowed me in Vegas, and people I hope to see in Phantom again (especially on Broadway). I also very much enjoyed Larry Wayne Morbitt. This is based on five performances seen during the final week in Vegas. People might of course have given it all, knowing it was the final week. I can only judge by what I saw.
I saw the Las Vegas production quite a number of times over the past 6 years and I never felt the cast was "tired." Some performances were better than others - and a lackluster audience can REALLY suck the energy out of things - but I never felt the cast was going through the motions, not like I'd sometimes seen on Broadway.

I do agree that Brianne always gave 100% in her performance (and is definitely the best Meg I've seen), but I also think Ragone, Holden, Hertzenberg, and a number of others would definitely bring a lot to the original production. I hope they eventually find a place at The Majestic, like Silverman and Loyacano before them.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Elizabeth Welch tweeted that Kelly Jeanne Grant went on as Madame Giry on Broadway:

http://twitter.com/ewelchtweets/status/248896126730772480

If that is true, she's joined the very exclusive Carlottas/Christines-turned-Madame-Giry club!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Grant played Carlotta?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:45 am

I think she means Carlotta or Christine actresses who go on to play Giry.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Trista Moldovan just announced via Twitter that she'll be leaving next month.

I'll be excited to see a new Christine, but I do hope I'll be able to see Trista again before she leaves since I liked her a great deal.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Intrigued by what may be happening at the Majestic next month...
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I've heard Cameron wants Boggess in the Brodway company in time to play Christine for the 25th anniversary performance; I know she is still with Les Mis as of now, but I know her time with Les Mis is wrapping up soon...however this is all just speculation.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:36 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:I've heard Cameron wants Boggess in the Brodway company in time to play Christine for the 25th anniversary performance; I know she is still with Les Mis as of now, but I know her time with Les Mis is wrapping up soon...however this is all just speculation.

Well, I kinda hope this doesn't happen. Yes, Sierra Boggess is one of my fave Christines...but I wouldn't want to see her play the role opposite Hugh Panaro's Phantom. I'd want it to be Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom if Sierra were to be Christine, and obviously that would not work for the *Broadway* 25th. Rolling Eyes
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 pm

I wont deny he was a wonderful voice, but I still fail to see the hype around Ramin's Phantom, a pretty face beind a mask doesnt make the role that much more convincing. However I would like to see Sierra opposite Hugh. I wouldnt be too surprised if they do bring her in, as she was suppose to star in Prince of Broadway this November, but the show has been pushed to sometime next year.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm

The latest news on Tumblr is that the new principal Christine on Broadway will be Marni Raab.

I'm not particularly excited about this news, alas, and I'm curious as to whether she'll end up being the 25th Anniversary Broadway Christine.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Madame Giry wrote:The latest news on Tumblr is that the new principal Christine on Broadway will be Marni Raab.

I'm not particularly excited about this news, alas, and I'm curious as to whether she'll end up being the 25th Anniversary Broadway Christine.

~Madame~

Not too thrilled either, BUT I suppose it is temp. From the sources I've heard, Sierra is the name the powers-that-be want to be playing the role by the time the 25th Anniversary comes around.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:The latest news on Tumblr is that the new principal Christine on Broadway will be Marni Raab.

~Madame~

Not too thrilled either, BUT I suppose it is temp. From the sources I've heard, Sierra is the name the powers-that-be want to be playing the role by the time the 25th Anniversary comes around.

Wow, a double whammy of disheartening news.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm

*sigh* Sierra is a decent enough Christine, but I'm really tired of people treating her like the be all end all not only of PotO, but of music theater leading ladies in general (seriously, if I had a dollar for every time I heard "OMG Sierra should totally play insert role here!!!" I wouldn't have to worry about pulling together the money for my NYC 25th trip). You'd think nobody else in the world could carry a tune the way people go on about her.

~LCD

Last edited by LadyCDaae on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:44 am

So... Mr. Warlow, fancy taking some time to explore the Majestic after Annie?
Oh, and Maree Johnson, you're no longer in Rebecca... fancy stepping in as Christine?

It'll be a Australian cast reunion!

I see no reason to visit the Majestic until next fall. (Not a big fan of Hugh and definitely not a fan of Marni.)
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

I really hate to speak ill of performers, but if it is true then what can I say, I'm not a fan of Marni's voice, she is very cute in the role though, but her vibrato is a bit much, usually i love vibrato, but hers modulates in a strange sort of way, like sandra joseph and julie hanson. Was rather gutted that both times I saw the show last I got Marni and not Sarah.
I personally would love for Sierra do join the NYC company but I can't see that happening by January, but who knows.
I hope to see the show in September next year, would love it if Sierra did join the company that she could stick around till then, although as far as the Broadway company goes, I have VERY BAD LUCK catching the principal Christine, in the 10 or so times I;ve seen it on Broadway, I think I got the principal only once.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:26 pm

~Madame~

Well, I'm not surprised to hear this...though I too am not excited about it since I don't really care for her Christine. I kinda hope they choose someone else for the role in the 25th Anniversary performance (just not Sierra). Neutral
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:21 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:*sigh* Sierra is a decent enough Christine, but I'm really tired of people treating her like the be all end all not only of PotO, but of music theater leading ladies in general (seriously, if I had a dollar for every time I heard "OMG Sierra should totally play insert role here!!!" I would have to worry about pulling together the money for my NYC 25th trip). You'd think nobody else in the world could carry a tune the way people go on about her.

~LCD
I was really impressed by Sierra Boggess in the RAH concert, moreso than her stint in Las Vegas. But right now I'm so overexposed to Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo (AKA Sierramin in internet world). They are everywhere, and they are Phantom royalty, and though I like them both (though Ramin Karimloo only as Raoul, I never cared much for his Phantom) I just can't take more of them.

However, hearing Marni Raab stepping up as Christine... That makes me hope the Sierra Boggess rumours are true... Like you I would think Raab as principal is only temporary, as it was when Jennifer Hope Wills went on maternity leave. But since the Broadway production will be so in focus for the 25th anniversary they need star quality. And Marni Raab, much as I liked her last year, just ain't star quality.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 pm

On the subject of Marni I found her voice on the shrill side...but her complete disregard for the show's original blocking, while basically making up her own stuff, is what really irks me.

StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 am

As I've said before possibly here and definitely elsewhere, I have nothing against Marni. I saw her in the US tour many years ago and she was really excellent then. Beautiful voice and acting. But I think that about a decade (or more?) of working the role has probably worn her down, as most review of her performances in the past few years seem to indicate. I think she could use a break, and either rest completely from performing for a while, or take up a new role - just to keep fresh.

We'll see.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  alaron Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 am

Paula74 wrote:Trista Moldovan just announced via Twitter that she'll be leaving next month.

I'll be excited to see a new Christine, but I do hope I'll be able to see Trista again before she leaves since I liked her a great deal.
Glad I saw her when I did then. I absolutely adored her and Panaro.

alaron

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:54 am

I know some find this opinion unpopular, but after finally seeing the London production last year, I made it known on the forums that I think the London production (even when not at its best) a more viscerally engaging production to Broadway. Not only is it because of venue, but also in how the show is presented and cast.

I recently spoke with a former dresser of the US productions, who said that there were sometimes conversations about how the London production (the flagship) was a ratty (in a good way) presentation of the show; visceral and not afraid to be messy. On the other hand, the US incarnations have always been made to look like a glittering, safe beauty, and the lovers cast as matured adults (which, I think, hinders the story tremendously). There have been many talented ladies to play Christine in the US, but a few too many of them have never convincingly played a girl, not helped by their pristine wigs and rather matured makeup.

As its 25th Anniversary approaches, I wish these were the things being addressed with their overhaul... but are they? I suppose time will tell.

Summation: NY feels like a museum piece that maintains the picture. London feels like an evolving, living representation of art that embodies the space.
I have, of course, seen AMAZING performances of Phantom in the US. The Raoul Tour, Jennifer Hope Wills, Ryan Silverman, John Cudia, Sean MacLaughlin, Marilyn Caskey, Brad Little, Marni Raab (I saw her once in 2003), Kris Koop (in one of her rare Christine appearances), DC Anderson, David Cryer, Richard Poole. Some amazing, amazing artists who have propelled me to be the theatregoer, artist, and thinker I am today!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:I know some find this opinion unpopular, but after finally seeing the London production last year, I made it known on the forums that I think the London production (even when not at its best) a more viscerally engaging production to Broadway. Not only is it because of venue, but also in how the show is presented and cast.

I recently spoke with a former dresser of the US productions, who said that there were sometimes conversations about how the London production (the flagship) was a ratty (in a good way) presentation of the show; visceral and not afraid to be messy. On the other hand, the US incarnations have always been made to look like a glittering, safe beauty, and the lovers cast as matured adults (which, I think, hinders the story tremendously). There have been many talented ladies to play Christine in the US, but a few too many of them have never convincingly played a girl, not helped by their pristine wigs and rather matured makeup.
I agree with the overall sentiment - that the West End production is more vital due to the casting and technical updates, while Broadway (or US in general) plays it safer.

But I also think West End has been more of a hit-and-miss affaire than Broadway. There's been many youngsters who's been given the chance without really delivering, people with a certain talent but without the experience needed to give the audience the full worth of their money. When the casting gets it right - John Owen Jones, Gina Beck, Rachel Barrell, Simon Bailey etc - I really get a kick out of it. When they get it wrong - Katie Knight Adams, Oliver Thornton, Simon Bowman (as Phantom) - I'm mostly very annoyed at what I just spent money on. On Broadway you'll get more consistent quality throughout.

The good thing, however, is that people only stay for a year or so in West End. If there's a performer on Broadway you dislike, you're stuck with them for years and years...

What I'm trying to say is that I see the benefit of both productions, one experimenting a bit, the other playing it safer. I don't really think one should change to become like the other. I mean, they're both still running some 25 years later and they're apparently giving their audience what they want. The wise ol' word "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" comes to mind...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next