Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan

+3
AlwaysChristine
Madame Giry
IamErik771
7 posters

Go down

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Empty "Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan

Post  IamErik771 Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I found an interesting bit of news about a recent stage version of Susan Kay's Phantom that was apparently performed last year in Japan. It featured an all-male cast, and the official site can be found here. There's also a Russian site featuring some photos, most of which were also on the Japanese site.

This production had some big names in the crew, particularly set designer Matt Kinley (who also worked on the Les Misérables 25th anniversary concert) and lighting designer Nick Simmons (who worked on War Horse in the West End). It seems to be a play rather than a musical, as I can't find any composer credit on the staff page. Does anyone else have any more info on this?
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Empty Re: "Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan

Post  Madame Giry Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 pm

Wow. That's really cool. In the blog on the official site there's even a photo of several copies of different editions Kay's book most of which I have plus a photograph of the author herself.

Kinda surprising that there aren't more production photos though. Just a tiny poster of the cast in costume that I can hardly make out any details in.

Will have to keep an eye out for more info, if any surfaces. I wonder if it was successful enough for them to tour it or revive it.

Thanks for the heads up!

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Empty Re: "Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan

Post  AlwaysChristine Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:59 am

Wow great, why not here?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 am

Hello All,

After much research, I have finally figured out how to purchase the DVDs of Studio Life's Japanese production of Susan Kay's "Phantom" (The Untold Story/The Kiss of Christine). I followed the steps that I've outlined below, and I received my 4-DVD set of of "Phantom" today!

The primary problem with ordering from Studio Life is that, like many Japanese companies, they do not ship out of the country. I figured that I couldn't be the only person who had encountered this problem with a Japanese company before, and so I researched how other people from overseas purchase products from Japan.

After some sleuthing, I found a company called Anislo (https://anislo.jp/) that serves as an intermediary between Japanese companies and customers abroad. Basically, you sign up for an Anislo account, you enter their address at checkout, and your package is shipped to them. Then once Anislo receives your package, you pay them a shipping/handling fee to send the package to your address.

I have supplied step-by-step instructions for how to purchase Studio Life's "Phantom" DVDs on my Photobucket page. Here is a link to my Photobucket page. Click on the first image in the gallery to start the tutorial:

https://s1315.photobucket.com/user/FdeLOpera/library/?sort=9&page=1

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about ordering "Phantom" (or any other items) from Studio Life.

I have also posted this message on the POTO.com forum.

Your Obedient Servant,

FdelOpera
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 am

FdelOpera wrote:Hello All,

After much research, I have finally figured out how to purchase the DVDs of Studio Life's Japanese production of Susan Kay's "Phantom" (The Untold Story/The Kiss of Christine). I followed the steps that I've outlined below, and I received my 4-DVD set of of "Phantom" today!

The primary problem with ordering from Studio Life is that, like many Japanese companies, they do not ship out of the country. I figured that I couldn't be the only person who had encountered this problem with a Japanese company before, and so I researched how other people from overseas purchase products from Japan.

After some sleuthing, I found a company called Anislo (https://anislo.jp/) that serves as an intermediary between Japanese companies and customers abroad. Basically, you sign up for an Anislo account, you enter their address at checkout, and your package is shipped to them. Then once Anislo receives your package, you pay them a shipping/handling fee to send the package to your address.

I have supplied step-by-step instructions for how to purchase Studio Life's "Phantom" DVDs on my Photobucket page. Here is a link to my Photobucket page. Click on the first image in the gallery to start the tutorial:

https://s1315.photobucket.com/user/FdeLOpera/library/?sort=9&page=1

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about ordering "Phantom" (or any other items) from Studio Life.

I have also posted this message on the POTO.com forum.

Your Obedient Servant,

FdelOpera

I try it later at home maybe I need help!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm

If anyone who wants to buy the Japanese stage version of Susan Kay's "Phantom" is having trouble ordering it, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to walk you through the ordering process.

The production is extraordinary. It is visually stunning, thanks in no small part to Matt Kinley's and Nick Simmons' staging and lighting. It is also incredible how faithful the two plays are to Kay's novel. With the exception of the "Nadir" section in the second play, as well as some condensing/reordering of scenes for the sake of time, they follow Kay's narrative quite closely, the first play especially.

For those who have purchased the DVDs (or are considering purchasing them), I would recommend starting with Disc 1 (the "Sort" cast performing "The Untold Story") and then proceeding to Disc 4 (the "Espoir" cast performing "The Kiss of Christine"). The actor who plays Erik in these two productions is amazing. I was openly crying during his kiss scene with Christine at the end of the second play -- it was truly beautiful and tragic. Plus his obvious dance background makes him an absolute joy to watch; just seeing him take his bows at the end of "The Untold Story" is a delight.

- FdelOpera
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Tomorrow I´ll have the DVDs in my hands Smile
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Mon May 27, 2013 9:55 pm

SweetChristine wrote:Tomorrow I´ll have the DVDs in my hands Smile

That's terrific news! Do let us know what you think of them. I've watched the DVDs four times each so far, and I get more and more from them each time I watch them. I still prefer Yoshiki Yamamoto's performance as Erik in the "Sort" and "Espoir" casts of "The Untold Story" and "The Kiss of Christine," respectively, but I find that I am also liking certain moments of Yusuke Hayashi as young Erik in the "Destin" cast and Hiroshi Kasahara as adult Erik in the "Avenir" cast. It is obvious that Studio Life put a huge amount of work into these productions. They are truly beautiful pieces of theatre.
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue May 28, 2013 3:15 pm

FdelOpera wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:Tomorrow I´ll have the DVDs in my hands Smile

That's terrific news! Do let us know what you think of them. I've watched the DVDs four times each so far, and I get more and more from them each time I watch them. I still prefer Yoshiki Yamamoto's performance as Erik in the "Sort" and "Espoir" casts of "The Untold Story" and "The Kiss of Christine," respectively, but I find that I am also liking certain moments of Yusuke Hayashi as young Erik in the "Destin" cast and Hiroshi Kasahara as adult Erik in the "Avenir" cast. It is obvious that Studio Life put a huge amount of work into these productions. They are truly beautiful pieces of theatre.

I have it NOW! I watched only some scenes because I am so curious Smile
I watched the kiss as well. The kiss was moving.
I will tell you more when I´ve seen all! Or DVD by DVD!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Wed May 29, 2013 6:50 am

SweetChristine wrote:I have it NOW! I watched only some scenes because I am so curious Smile

Hurray!!! That is wonderful news! I agree -- the kiss scene is *very* moving. I look forward to your thoughts on the production.
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 am

FdelOpera wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:I have it NOW! I watched only some scenes because I am so curious Smile

Hurray!!! That is wonderful news! I agree -- the kiss scene is *very* moving. I look forward to your thoughts on the production.

Yes absolutely wonderful! I think Christine is great as well. It would be great if we can ask all the performers.
I will share all my thoughts here. Its wonderful that they made Susan Kays Phantom.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 am

A few weeks ago, I purchased two brochures from Studio Life for "The Untold Story" and "The Kiss of Christine," and I wanted to share some of the pictures from them.

As with their theatrical productions, Studio Life has gone all out in creating these brochures, and they are *gorgeous*.

Here are some photos of the brochure for "The Untold Story." I will upload photos of "The Kiss of Christine" brochure in another post.

"The Untold Story" - Front Cover

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Front_Cover_sized_zps75d4d6c8

Yoshiki Yamamoto - Erik in the "Sort" Cast of "The Untold Story"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Yamamoto_2_sized_zpsfa437759

Yusuke Hayashi - Erik in the "Destin" Cast of "The Untold Story"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Hayashi_1_sized_zps49b66c01

"The Untold Story" Mask

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Mask_sized_zps33248617

"The Untold Story" Timeline

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Timeline_1_sized_zps8f5c20fe

"The Untold Story" Timeline Continued

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Timeline_2_sized_zps314e79bc

Cover of the 1st American Edition of Phantom

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Book_sized_zpsb96f8051

Statement by Susan Kay

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Untold_Story_Kay_Statement_sized_zps5f2544ca
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 am

Here are some pictures of the brochure for Studio Life's "The Kiss of Christine."

"The Kiss of Christine" - Front Cover

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Front_Cover_sized_zps6b0ce952

"The Kiss of Christine" - Title Page

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Front_Flap_sized_zps80b20e8a

Hiroo Kasahara - Erik in the "Avenir" Cast of "The Kiss of Christine"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Hiroo_Kasahara_1_sized_zps9cbc02aa

Yoshiki Yamamoto - Erik in the "Espoir" Cast of "The Kiss of Christine"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Yoshiki_Yamamoto_1_sized_zps48a1c8bd

Hirokazu Sekido - Christine in the "Avenir" Cast of "The Kiss of Christine"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Hirokazu_Sekido_sized_zpsb110312a

Shinya Matsumoto - Christine in the "Espoir" Cast of "The Kiss of Christine"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Shinya_Matsumoto_sized_zps28b9803c

This translates roughly to “The Pilgrimage for Remembrances of Erik,” though whoever wrote this was unclear on a rather important detail...

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Erik_Pilgrimage_1_sized_zpsf8a2f39a

Susan Kay; Producer Kiichiro Kawauchi; and Director/Writer Jun Kurata

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Susan_Kay_Photo_sized_zps3a7a23cd

"The Kiss of Christine" - Final Page

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Kiss_Back_Flap_sized_zps6d5e48dc
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Wow -- very impressive brochure! They certainly did their homework/research, and it shows! Pretty cool graphics and layout -- very classy!
Thanks for sharing these pics with us here, FdelOpera.
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:36 am

Very cool graphics in the brochure. Loving all the Palais Garnier stuff.

I'm not sure whether the subject is the right material for a straight play, though.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Studio Life's "Untold Story"/"Kiss of Christine" is actually one of the best stage adaptations of the Phantom story that I have seen. It doesn't beat the ALW version, but IMO, no stage version ever will. However, I do prefer it to, for instance, the Kopit/Yeston version (which I just saw last night with the *amazing* Ron Bohmer -- thanks to NightRachel for letting me know that Ron was playing Erik!!!Very Happy).

Studio Life's production follows Susan Kay's narrative quite closely (so closely that I can usually understand what is being said even though I do not speak Japanese), so the "Erik/Christine Counterpoint" section is accordingly given only about an hour of stage time (1/6th of the total 6 hour run time for the two plays). However, the scenes that are there are quite wonderful (especially the "Final Lair" scene -- Yoshiki Yamamoto in the "Espoir" cast plays this brilliantly).

I will post some images from the 60 page booklet that came with the DVDs so that people can get a sense of what the productions look like.

Last edited by FdelOpera on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 am

The DVDs of Studio Life's "Phantom" came with a 60 page booklet of color photos. These photos are of the "Sort" cast of "The Untold Story" (starring Yoshiki Yamamoto as Erik), the "Destin" cast of "The Untold Story" (starring Yusuke Hayashi as Erik), the "Espoir" cast of "The Kiss of Christine" (starring Yoshiki Yamamoto as Erik), and the "Avenir" cast of "The Kiss of Christine" (starring Hiroo Kasahara as Erik). It really is amazing the amount of detail and care that Studio Life puts into creating their products.

Here are some of the images from the booklet. The photos that I took of the booklet are not quite as clear as the ones of the brochures, unfortunately, mainly because the booklet is glossy and the images are smaller. However, it will still give you a good idea of what the booklet looks like.

As before, I will insert the photos in a sequence of posts, since I'm not sure exactly how many images I can include per post. Please bear with me...

Phantom DVD Booklet Front Cover

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 80d2ae59-b1b1-49bb-8497-73d8d35c4fcb_zps33da0d4e

Phantom DVD Booklet Back Cover

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 2_Back_Cover_sized_zpsfe985556

Erik Standing on the Janiculum Hill - Sort Cast

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 3_Janiculum_sized_zpscbb580eb

Madeleine - Destin Cast
Left Page: Madeleine at the beginning of the play

Right Page: Top: Father Mansart and the midwife; Bottom: Madeleine, Father Mansart, and infant Erik

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 4_Madeleine_sized_zpsebea4469

Erik and Madeleine - Destin Cast
Left Page: Top and Middle: Erik, Professor Guizot, and Father Mansart; Bottom: Madeleine meeting Etienne Barye
Right Page: Top: Erik holding Sasha's body; Bottom: Erik, Madeleine, and the shepherd boy

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 5_Erik_Madeleine_sized_zps18e80e12

Erik and Madeleine - Sort Cast
Right Side: Madeleine and Erik after the birthday party (Erik's face is bandaged, instead of his hands)
Left Bottom: Erik talks with Sasha (mimed)

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 6_Erik_Madeleine_Sort1_sized_zpsda581c83

Erik and Madeleine - Sort Cast
Top: Madeleine and Etienne Barye
Left Middle: Erik outside trying to protect Sasha
Right Middle: Madeleine and the shepherd boy
Bottom: Erik holding Sasha's body

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 7_Erik_Madeleine_Sort2_sized_zpse594fa18

Erik and Javert - Destin Cast
Left Page: Erik performing as "The Living Corpse"
Right Page: Top: Javert harassing Erik; Bottom: Erik killing Javert

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 8_Erik_Javert_sized_zps3c37b5fe
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 am

Here are more images from the Phantom DVD booklet...

Erik and Giovanni - Sort Cast
Left Page: Top: Giovanni's first encounter with Erik; Bottom: Erik meets Luciana
Right Page: Top: Erik's "dance" on the construction site; Bottom: Giovanni asks Erik to return

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 9_Erik_Giovanni_sized_zps5cc7eb0c

Erik and Luciana - Destin Cast
Left Page: Top: Erik meets Luciana; Bottom: Luciana destroying Erik's inventions
Right Page: Top: Giovanni comforts Luciana; Middle: Erik shows Luciana his face; Bottom: After Luciana's fall - "In darkness you came to me. And in darkness you left."

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 10_Erik_Luciana_sized_zps655d7419

Erik and Nadir - Espoir Cast (left page) and Avenir Cast (right page)
Left Page: Top Left: Erik and Reza; Top Right: Erik gives Reza the poison; Bottom: Nadir bids Erik farewell
Right Page: Top: Erik conceives of the torture chamber; Bottom Left: Nadir and the Shah; Bottom Right: Erik being contemplative

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 11_Erik_Nadir_sized_zps01bb2f6f

Erik at the Opera House - Espoir Cast
Erik decides to make the Opera House his home

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 12_Erik_Opera_sized_zps914176c9

Erik and Christine - Espoir Cast
Left Page: Christine, Carlotta, and the managers
Right Page: Erik as Christine's Angel of Music

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 13_Erik_Christine_sized_zps3f5fa6ee

Erik, Christine, and Raoul - Espoir Cast
Left Page: Christine and Raoul on the Opera House roof
Right Page: Erik and Christine after the Aida scene ("I raped her with my music")

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 14_Erik_Christine_sized_zps7661cd60

Erik and Christine - Espoir Cast
The "Final Lair" and the Kiss

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 15_Erik_Christine_Espoir_sized_zps6e554672

Erik and Christine - Avenir Cast
The "Final Lair" and the Kiss

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 16_Erik_Christine_Avenir_sized_zps806033bf

The Final Chapter
Left Page (Avenir Cast): Nadir in Erik's destroyed lair (in the actual play, Erik does not appear, and only his voice is heard)
Right Page (Espoir Cast): Top: Raoul as an older man; Bottom: Erik's "ghost" and Charles

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 17_Erik_Charles_sized_zps72b114e9
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 am

Here are a few close-ups of the booklet images. All of these images, except for the fourth one, are of the Espoir cast of "The Kiss of Christine."

Erik at the foot of the Grand Escalier

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Opera_House_zps7ce90c4d

Erik playing from Don Juan Triumphant after the Aida scene

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_DJT_zps530c349c

The Kiss (part 1)

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Christine_Kiss1_zps7cd38759

The Kiss (part 2) - Avenir cast

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Christine_Kiss3_zpsed6d429e

After the Kiss

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Christine_Kiss2_zps3d6ba236

Charles and Erik's "ghost"
Charles is played by Yusuke Hayashi, who also played Erik in the Destin cast of "The Untold Story" and Young Erik in "The Kiss of Christine"

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan 18_Erik_Charles_zps09a127df
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 am

A member of the POTO.com forum requested that I post these images from the booklet that came with Studio Life's Phantom DVDs. I figured that some people here would be interested in seeing them, as well.

Erik encounters Giovanni for the first time - Destin Cast of "The Untold Story"
Erik: Yusuke Hayashi; Giovanni: Hiroo Kasahara

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Meets_Giovanni_sized_zps2119bbad

Erik returns Giovanni's pocket watch - Destin Cast of "The Untold Story"
Erik: Yusuke Hayashi; Giovanni: Hiroo Kasahara

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Giovanni_sized_zpsc7222d3c

Erik screams after being cornered by Luciana and Giovanni - Sort Cast of "The Untold Story"
Erik: Yoshiki Yamamoto

"Phantom: The Untold Story" -- Susan Kay stage play in Japan Erik_Scream_sized_zpsdbdf14ee
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  FdelOpera Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello all!

Over the past couple of months, I have received a number of requests to upload the entirety of Studio Life's productions of Kay's Phantom to YouTube. Now, I will not do this because it is possible to purchase the DVDs from Studio Life using third-party shipping companies like http://Anislo.jp and http://Tenso.com and thus my doing so would negatively impact the potential sales of Studio Life's DVDs. Plus, it would be illegal. If the DVDs were out of print, or could no longer be purchased, I would have fewer qualms about doing this; I just do not want to do anything that would deprive Studio Life of any potential revenue, especially since they have put so much time, effort, and resources into these incredible productions.

However, I have decided to share a few scenes from Studio Life's productions so that people can get a better sense of what the plays are like. I am hoping that this will boost sales, since these clips serve as "teasers" for the DVDs.

I have included a video clip from each of the four productions (Sort and Destin casts of "The Untold Story," and Avenir and Espoir casts of "The Kiss of Christine"). I wanted to make sure that all three Erik actors from each of the four productions were represented.

If you're interested, you can visit the POTO.com forum:

http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=722579#forumpost722579

Enjoy!
FdelOpera
FdelOpera

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind Phan Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:52 am

Damn! It makes sense that the plays are performed in Japanese, but bummer! They sound awesome! Wow! Does anyone who's bought the DVDs know if they have an English dub track and/or sub-titles?

Blind Phan

http://www.phantomfemme.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down