Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors.

+6
operafantomet
LadyCDaae
HerMajesty
PhantomsGhost
SenorSwanky
Madame Giry
10 posters

Go down

Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors. Empty Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors.

Post  Madame Giry Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:24 pm

http://www.cheaptheatretickets.com/top-ten-phantoms/

10. Anthony Crivello
9. Anthony Warlow
8. Simon Bowman
7. Colm Wilkinson
6. Earl Carpenter
5. Peter Karrie
4. John Owen Jones
3. Gerard Butler (No, really)
2. Ramin Karimloo
1. Michael Crawford

Justifications, sometimes laughable ones, as to why actors ranked the way they did appear in the article.

Also, the list appears awfully Anglophilic, if you ask me. Hmph.

Discuss.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I nicked this from Anthony Crivello's Facebook.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors. Empty Re: Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors.

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:44 pm

That's just stupid. Ramin and certainly Gerry belong on no Top 10 list. Bowman probably doesn't either.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors. Empty Re: Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors.

Post  PhantomsGhost Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:49 pm

scratch ...Bowman...?
What about Grant Norman? (My absolute personal all-time fave)
Hugh Panaro? Gary Mauer? John Cudia? Brad Little? Rob Guest?

I kind of understand Ramin, since I do like him myself, but he'd be closer to the bottom of my list than the top.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:27 pm

I think we already have a topic for this, or at least we did on the old board, but my top 9 is roughly:

Colm Wilkinson
Michael Crawford
Steve Barton
Davis Gaines
Peter Karrie
Mark McKerracher
Kevin Gray
Mike Sterling
Ethan Freeman

Can't ever make up my mind on the 10th. But it wouldn't include any of the ones on that website-I've-never-heard-of's list. Maybe Rob Guest or Jeff Keller or James Romick.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:44 pm

You know I almost feel like whoever threw together this silly list just did a Google search and took the top ten most-discussed Phantom actors they could find, without any real knowledge/experience of any of them.

Hacks.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Laughable at best! May aswell put Peter Jöback in the mix.

Ramin, Bowman, Butler, Carpenter and Crivello certainly don't deserve their place, and yes, I've seen all of them. I'd question Colm Wilkinson too to be honest but he's an old man...

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Some of us on Facebook conducted an informal poll of our own in response to this one. I think our results make much more sense:

10. Colm Wilkinson (18 points)
9. Anthony Crivello (20 points)
8. Earl Carpenter (22 points)
7. Gary Mauer (24 points)
6. John Cudia (28 points)
5. Brad Little (37 points)
4. Hugh Panaro (46 points)
3. Peter Karrie (59 points)
2. John Owen-Jones (64 points)
1. Michael Crawford (87 points)

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 pm

I think a lot of those guys are on that list more because of their longevity than their excellence. A lot of people have seen them.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:I think a lot of those guys are on that list more because of their longevity than their excellence. A lot of people have seen them.

Very true, people always like the ones they've seen, until you see a lot like some of us then realise how poor some actually are in comparison to others.

My biggest disappointment so far has been Crivello, I expected so much!

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Unlike most people who fawn over the ones they've seen live, I was honestly never too impressed with most of the people I saw live in comparison to ones I saw otherwise. Wink The only exception was my first time on Broadway, when I was very close to the stage. I think it was all part of the awesome feeling of seeing it in that venue for the first time and so close, when before I'd only seen it on tour and from the rear mezzanine. My impression in hindsight faded for some of those performers, though Tim Jerome remains, to me, the ultimate Firmin and George Lee Andrews one of the best Andres.

I've seen Hugh and Brad live and just felt pretty "meh" about them. Nice people; just not my cup of tea as the Phantom.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Warlow is one of my faves and I've sadly never managed to see him live, but Howard McGillin was the biggest shock for me, hearing the clips I was 'meh' but live he was absolutely outstanding.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Madame Giry wrote:
10. Anthony Crivello
9. Anthony Warlow
8. Simon Bowman
7. Colm Wilkinson
6. Earl Carpenter
5. Peter Karrie
4. John Owen Jones
3. Gerard Butler (No, really)
2. Ramin Karimloo
1. Michael Crawford
Gerard Butler? Simon Bowman? Ramin Karimloo?

Where is Uwe Kröger? Basketball
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:24 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:I think a lot of those guys are on that list more because of their longevity than their excellence. A lot of people have seen them.
That, plus access to see/hear their portrayals. I mean, look at top 3: Michael Crawford from the original cast album, Ramin Karimloo from the RAH DVD and LND CD, Gerard Butler from the movie. It's not so much that these guys are the best* or everyone's cup of tea as it is that it's most likely 500,000 more people have seen them than Ian Jon Bourg, Jonathan Roxmouth or Dave Willetts.

*I adore Michael Crawford, but I think he was a lot better live than in the OLC cast album. And I think the majority rate him from the OLC cast album.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 pm

operafantomet wrote:
*I adore Michael Crawford, but I think he was a lot better live than in the OLC cast album. And I think the majority rate him from the OLC cast album.
Definitely agree with you there, but I was talking about the list LadyCDaae posted from FB. (Where was that produced from, BTW? I haven't been visiting the official page lately.)

I did an IRV poll on another iteration of this poll, but it ended up being freeped (as we say in politics) by members of one Phantom's fan board. Hard to do a legit poll of phan preferences.

SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 pm

HerMajesty wrote:Laughable at best! May aswell put Peter Jöback in the mix.

Why not? He's my favourite phantom so I would put him at the top of a top ten list. The thing is a top ten phantom list or a favourite or worst phantom is pretty much down to personal preference, so no one is going to agree on who should or shouldn't be on a top ten list.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:26 pm

London-Phan wrote:

Why not? He's my favourite phantom so I would put him at the top of a top ten list. The thing is a top ten phantom list or a favourite or worst phantom is pretty much down to personal preference, so no one is going to agree on who should or shouldn't be on a top ten list.

Edited for being too harsh - each to their own!

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:40 pm

HerMajesty wrote:
London-Phan wrote:

A joke right? If not, fair play but there's nothing more I can say to that. Laughing

Nope not joking, I think he's a brilliant phantom and he does a great job. A lot of phans think Peter Karrie is an amazing or the best phantom, he's not really my cup of tea but if someone was to say he was there favourite I wouldn't laugh and say is that a joke?

I just noticed you edited your post, so I've edited mine too as i was getting a bit defensive Very Happy

Last edited by London-Phan on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 pm

London-Phan wrote:
HerMajesty wrote:
London-Phan wrote:

A joke right? If not, fair play but there's nothing more I can say to that. Laughing

Nope not joking, I think he's a brilliant phantom and he does a great job. You obviously don't agree but why would you think it's a joke just because he's not to your liking? A lot of phans think Peter Karrie is an amazing or the best phantom, he's not really my cup of tea but if someone was to say he was there favourite I wouldn't laugh and say is that a joke? Who's your fave phantom?

My comment was quite harsh but he's just so effeminate and his voice just isn't up to the role in the upper register. That in particular bothers me. I will say one thing for him though, he looks the part. It's not about whether it's to my liking, it's whether he's up to the role, I personally don't believe he is, although I actually enjoyed his performance a lot more than some of the blander Phantoms I've seen based on pure entertainment value.

Of the Phantoms I've actually seen Howard McGillin is a favourite, beautiful operatic voice and looks every bit the Phantom.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:55 pm

HerMajesty wrote:
London-Phan wrote:
HerMajesty wrote:
London-Phan wrote:

Nope not joking, I think he's a brilliant phantom and he does a great job. You obviously don't agree but why would you think it's a joke just because he's not to your liking? A lot of phans think Peter Karrie is an amazing or the best phantom, he's not really my cup of tea but if someone was to say he was there favourite I wouldn't laugh and say is that a joke? Who's your fave phantom?

My comment was quite harsh but he's just so effeminate and his voice just isn't up to the role in the upper register. That in particular bothers me. I will say one thing for him though, he looks the part. It's not about whether it's to my liking, it's whether he's up to the role, I personally don't believe he is, although I actually enjoyed his performance a lot more than some of the blander Phantoms I've seen based on pure entertainment value.

Of the Phantoms I've actually seen Howard McGillin is a favourite, beautiful operatic voice and looks every bit the Phantom.

Oops you replied before I edited my defensive post ha. I've always preferred operatic phantoms like Richard Halton who was awesome, but there was just something about Peters voice, it might be because I think he sounds a lot like MC in places and acting wise I just thought he did a great job. At least you enjoyed his performance, I would hate to see the show and actually not enjoy it because of an awful phantom, although luckily this hasn't ever happened to me. Very Happy
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 am

London-Phan wrote:
HerMajesty wrote:
London-Phan wrote:
HerMajesty wrote:
London-Phan wrote:

Oops you replied before I edited my defensive post ha. I've always preferred operatic phantoms like Richard Halton who was awesome, but there was just something about Peters voice, it might be because I think he sounds a lot like MC in places and acting wise I just thought he did a great job. At least you enjoyed his performance, I would hate to see the show and actually not enjoy it because of an awful phantom, although luckily this hasn't ever happened to me. Very Happy

He sounds and looks a lot like Crawford in places, that was one of the first things I noticed, and if you could pick out his good moments he would be excellent, it's just for me you're never too far away from that squeaky top note that just brings it all crashing down. Also, he doesn't have the power to be truly impressive or imposing, which as a Phantom I think you need. He didn't own th stage as such.

I feel like he's trying so hard to put on the 'Phantom' persona that there's no way he can keep it up for too long. If he's your favourite I would go again soon as I'd be very surprised if he completes his contract.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:34 am

Maybe we should do a similar poll for this forum? I think it'd be more accurate as well since we know way more Phantoms and between us have seen many different ones. Maybe we should put together a longlist first, with each person proposing 3 favourites?
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am

Scorp wrote:Maybe we should do a similar poll for this forum? I think it'd be more accurate as well since we know way more Phantoms and between us have seen many different ones. Maybe we should put together a longlist first, with each person proposing 3 favourites?

That could be good, I like that idea. Should be quite a good list of phantoms.

And Her Majesty, I do hope Peter does complete his contract as I definitely want to see him again, I've managed to see him twice already Smile
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 am

I'm surprised to not see Peter Karrie higher up on the list - I thought all but about 3 people adored him.

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
Definitely agree with you there, but I was talking about the list LadyCDaae posted from FB. (Where was that produced from, BTW? I haven't been visiting the official page lately.)

I did an IRV poll on another iteration of this poll, but it ended up being freeped (as we say in politics) by members of one Phantom's fan board. Hard to do a legit poll of phan preferences.

It was from an unofficial community called "Phamily."

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Scorp wrote:Maybe we should do a similar poll for this forum? I think it'd be more accurate as well since we know way more Phantoms and between us have seen many different ones. Maybe we should put together a longlist first, with each person proposing 3 favourites?
Like I said, I tried doing something like that on a previous board, but it was impossible to close it to members of the board only, so it ended up being pointless.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
Like I said, I tried doing something like that on a previous board, but it was impossible to close it to members of the board only, so it ended up being pointless.

I think I remember that. We could try doing it again couldn't we? It could be interesting.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Haha, yes... that website's list was a joke, and I agree that the person probably only chose Phantoms based on how much online chatter he/she could find about them. Not exactly the best strategy if one wants to pick the ten "best."

Heh, I voted in that poll on the FB "Phamily" group that was mentioned, and I'm happy to say I ranked Anthony Crivello as my top Phantom. I loved how close his portrayal felt to Leroux's Erik, even though he apparently hadn't read the book. I had only seen one other Phantom live (at least, in a professional production, though I've gotten to see and hear many, many others through other means), but I know a few other Phans who've seen many more Phantoms than I have and also liked Crivello best. Others, of course, may disagree, and that's fine -- we all have our own unique tastes and preferences where Phantoms are concerned. Smile

If we wanted to do our own top 10 list, a poll probably wouldn't be practical since I think the forum would limit the number of possible options. The way we did it on the FB group, though, was that anyone interested would write down their top 5 on a SurveyMonkey poll for which the address was given only to members of the group. The person who created the poll would tally up the number of votes each Phantom got -- a #1 ranking would be worth a certain number of points, #2 would be worth a bit less, and so on -- and the group's top 10 would be determined that way. We could do something similar here... Maybe even use PMs instead of an external site to make sure that no non-DPers get in and no vote-spamming can occur.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Someone invite me to this Phamily group.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 pm

IamErik771 wrote:Haha, yes... that website's list was a joke, and I agree that the person probably only chose Phantoms based on how much online chatter he/she could find about them. Not exactly the best strategy if one wants to pick the ten "best."

Heh, I voted in that poll on the FB "Phamily" group that was mentioned, and I'm happy to say I ranked Anthony Crivello as my top Phantom. I loved how close his portrayal felt to Leroux's Erik, even though he apparently hadn't read the book. I had only seen one other Phantom live (at least, in a professional production, though I've gotten to see and hear many, many others through other means), but I know a few other Phans who've seen many more Phantoms than I have and also liked Crivello best. Others, of course, may disagree, and that's fine -- we all have our own unique tastes and preferences where Phantoms are concerned. Smile

If we wanted to do our own top 10 list, a poll probably wouldn't be practical since I think the forum would limit the number of possible options. The way we did it on the FB group, though, was that anyone interested would write down their top 5 on a SurveyMonkey poll for which the address was given only to members of the group. The person who created the poll would tally up the number of votes each Phantom got -- a #1 ranking would be worth a certain number of points, #2 would be worth a bit less, and so on -- and the group's top 10 would be determined that way. We could do something similar here... Maybe even use PMs instead of an external site to make sure that no non-DPers get in and no vote-spamming can occur.

I like the idea of putting forward your top 5 phantoms and each position is worth a certain number of points. But I'm thinking instead of voting on a poll site type thing we should create a new thread then each member posts their top 5 list then we add the points up of each phantom as they appear. And have a point system like a number 5 position would be 1 point through to number 1 position being 5 points, so for example if Crawford was No.1 on two peoples list he would have 10 points. We could either have a cut off point to tally them all up or start after the first post and just have it on going like a league table. Let me know if you think this is an ok idea and I'll create the thread. Smile
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down