Rare pictures 2

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:24 am


David Cryer and George Lee Andrews signing off.

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:30 pm

The non-replica Polish production, at Theatre Roma in Warzaw:


I adore their chandelier and opera house set!



Auction scene looks cool too.



But the costumes makes me wanna rip out my eyes with a fork. Kitschy, cheap-looking and movie inspired. I don't know what's worse of those three categories. And I think (judging mostly from the Polish cast album, but also from some live clips) that the leads are surprisingly weak. I wasn't even impressed by the orchestra, which usually is the forte of eastern European productions. Maybe I would feel different about it if I saw it live, but as of now there are some elements I love but in general a strong dislike. Hey, another area where the Polish production copies the movie...

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  TheFinnishPhantom on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:25 pm

operafantomet wrote:And I think (judging mostly from the Polish cast album, but also from some live clips) that the leads are surprisingly weak. I wasn't even impressed by the orchestra, which usually is the forte of eastern European productions. Maybe I would feel different about it if I saw it live, but as of now there are some elements I love but in general a strong dislike. Hey, another area where the Polish production copies the movie...

I quite liked the orchestrations on the cast album, and Prima Donna even managed to make it to my mp3-player. I also like the rockier Overture.

But I agree with pretty much everything you said. Only things I liked in the physical production were the chandelier and the proscenium. But the gigantic pipe organ was the epitome of cheesy!

TheFinnishPhantom

Posts : 178
Join date : 2010-05-08
Location : Jyväskylä, Finland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  LadyCDaae on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Ugh. I like the sleeves on the dressing gown, but the DJT costumes look like an amateur flamenco troupe.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Posts : 724
Join date : 2009-10-04
Age : 39
Location : Denver

View user profile http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Scorp on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I refuse to even buy the Polish cast album, it's the only one that I *don't* actually wish to own. I'm not completely opposed to rocking up the show as ALW loves doing, but here the attempt sounds completely amateurish and frankly embarrassing to listen to, especially in the Overture. I don't like the voices of this cast and the extent of the influence of the filmthatshallnotbenamed disgusts me. Particularly the nonsensical inclusion of the swordfight, WHICH THE PHANTOM WOULD NEVER LOSE. I have no desire ever to see this production of Phantom, and really hope future productions won't be in this vein.

_________________
In Hal Prince we trust.

Scorp

Posts : 1308
Join date : 2009-09-21

View user profile http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  ravnquest1 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 pm

it's funny, I had the opposite reaction to the Polish cast recording. I thought it was a nice compromise between the original overture and title song and what is actually being done now on Broadway and Vegas, with the silly electronic hand claps and such. The Overture especially seemed to be as powerful or even moreso as the original and the electric guitars were still in the background of the click track. It kept the spirit of the original and made it sound bigger.

As with all of the "highlights" recordings the track selection is sort of random, and there isn't much of the Phantom to judge at all. Kinda wish it was a longer 2 disc album instead.

ravnquest1

Posts : 36
Join date : 2010-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  TheFinnishPhantom on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:53 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:
As with all of the "highlights" recordings the track selection is sort of random, and there isn't much of the Phantom to judge at all. Kinda wish it was a longer 2 disc album instead.

I've always wondered why there's Il Muto but no AIAOY reprise.

But the Hamburg recording has the strangest selections ever. Why would anybody put the ballet on a highlights recording?

TheFinnishPhantom

Posts : 178
Join date : 2010-05-08
Location : Jyväskylä, Finland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  AlwaysChristine on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Scorp wrote:I refuse to even buy the Polish cast album, it's the only one that I *don't* actually wish to own. I'm not completely opposed to rocking up the show as ALW loves doing, but here the attempt sounds completely amateurish and frankly embarrassing to listen to, especially in the Overture. I don't like the voices of this cast and the extent of the influence of the filmthatshallnotbenamed disgusts me. Particularly the nonsensical inclusion of the swordfight, WHICH THE PHANTOM WOULD NEVER LOSE. I have no desire ever to see this production of Phantom, and really hope future productions won't be in this vein.

I understand you, I have the polish album but the cast and voices are weak. I don´t like the same, the costumes, the influence of the film...it´s not mine.
The chandelier looks wonderful. That´s the only thing.

AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  AlwaysChristine on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 pm

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:
ravnquest1 wrote:
As with all of the "highlights" recordings the track selection is sort of random, and there isn't much of the Phantom to judge at all. Kinda wish it was a longer 2 disc album instead.

I've always wondered why there's Il Muto but no AIAOY reprise.

But the Hamburg recording has the strangest selections ever. Why would anybody put the ballet on a highlights recording?

I like your photo Very Happy

AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Since it's Maria Kesselman's birthday today:


Maria Kesselman and Michael Crawford, Her Majesty's Theatre. Slightly photoshopped?


From her official site: http://www.mariakesselman.co.uk/indextab3.asp#Gallery

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  SenorSwanky on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 am

Awesome pic. Yeah, obviously those lights are added to it.

SenorSwanky

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2009-09-25
Age : 31
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:45 am

SenorSwanky wrote:Awesome pic. Yeah, obviously those lights are added to it.
I wonder if Kesselman is added to it as well...

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  SenorSwanky on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:35 am

operafantomet wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:Awesome pic. Yeah, obviously those lights are added to it.
I wonder if Kesselman is added to it as well...
No, doesn't look like it. The only thing they might've done is brought the two figures closer together, but I doubt that was even done. Definitely looks like the same lighting and setting.

SenorSwanky

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2009-09-25
Age : 31
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  MajesticPhantom on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:50 pm

I found a nice, intelligent interview with AJ Callaghan, formerly of the West End production. There are some photos of her as Christine included (one obviously mirrored). http://accesslondon.blogspot.com/2011/09/phantom-of-operas-25th-anniversary_22.html

MajesticPhantom

Posts : 270
Join date : 2010-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:01 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:I found a nice, intelligent interview with AJ Callaghan, formerly of the West End production. There are some photos of her as Christine included (one obviously mirrored). http://accesslondon.blogspot.com/2011/09/phantom-of-operas-25th-anniversary_22.html
Agreed, she seems to have a good grasp of not just Christine's role, but the intention and purpose of all the main characters. And this blooper made me laugh:

One time, the trap doors were open due to a malfunction during the second managers scene. Whilst reading the score walking in circles and singing, I could hear someone in the wing calling out to me, I saw stage management telling me don’t walk straight downstage as the trap door was open. I had to take a strange convoluted route around the stage in order to confront Carlotta which lead to many smirks and hidden laughter by the other cast members and probably confused the audience as to what exactly I was doing.

Haha! Laughing Thanks for sharing.

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Helen on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 pm

operafantomet wrote:
MajesticPhantom wrote:I found a nice, intelligent interview with AJ Callaghan, formerly of the West End production. There are some photos of her as Christine included (one obviously mirrored). http://accesslondon.blogspot.com/2011/09/phantom-of-operas-25th-anniversary_22.html
Agreed, she seems to have a good grasp of not just Christine's role, but the intention and purpose of all the main characters.

She does. I've seen her as Cosette in Les Mis a couple of times and thought she was wonderful. I'd love to see her as Christine, I think she'd be amazing.

Helen

Posts : 251
Join date : 2009-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am


A drop dead gorgeous Christine photo of Rebecca Caine, from her Toronto days. From here:

http://glassprism.tumblr.com/post/10586301784/wanderingchild23-rebecca-caine-wow-never#permalink-notes

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Random photos:


Masquerade photo from the 2010 South Korean production. Alas Madame Giry and André had to be chopped out of it, as they were placed in the center fold... Cast is Jin Yong-kook (Piangi), Young Ena (Carlotta), Jung Dan-young (Meg) and Kim Bong-Hwan (Firmin). Courtesy of Loettchen, who sent me this brochure!



Ana Marina and Brad Little, from the World Tour (Taipei stop, 2006).



Agnete Munk Rasmussen and Tomas Ambt Kofod, from the 2003 Copenhagen production.

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Raphael on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:52 pm

operafantomet wrote:
A drop dead gorgeous Christine photo of Rebecca Caine, from her Toronto days. From here:

http://glassprism.tumblr.com/post/10586301784/wanderingchild23-rebecca-caine-wow-never#permalink-notes
That has all the makings of a great illustration...

TAFKaR

_________________
Proud former member of TMCPMC
Keeper of Brianne Morgan's Masquerade hip-swish
www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Raphael

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:25 pm

"Il Muto ballet" from Japan:




And the Don Juan table from Hamburg, with people working on other sets/props in the background (set up, though):




Susan Cuthbert, original Canadian Christine alternate:


Her gesture begs for a capture.... Or some photoshopping... Laughing

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Bunvendor on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey does anyone have pictures of mark mckerracher as phantom that aren't these:
http://www.ladyghost.com/mark.html
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mckerracher/photos.htm
I would especially love his red death, and the red deaths of Scott Davies and Peter Karrie
Kind Regards,
OG

Bunvendor

Posts : 227
Join date : 2011-09-17
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:06 pm

thephanfullerton wrote:Hey does anyone have pictures of mark mckerracher as phantom that aren't these:
http://www.ladyghost.com/mark.html
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mckerracher/photos.htm
I would especially love his red death, and the red deaths of Scott Davies and Peter Karrie
I have this one saved as Mark McKerracher. Don't know if it's correct, though.



Never noticed the floral pattern of that particular hat before!

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Bunvendor on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 pm

operafantomet wrote:
thephanfullerton wrote:Hey does anyone have pictures of mark mckerracher as phantom that aren't these:
http://www.ladyghost.com/mark.html
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mckerracher/photos.htm
I would especially love his red death, and the red deaths of Scott Davies and Peter Karrie
I have this one saved as Mark McKerracher. Don't know if it's correct, though.



Never noticed the floral pattern of that particular hat before!

THanks for the pic so much operafantomnet! I really do think that this is a lovely version of red death!

Bunvendor

Posts : 227
Join date : 2011-09-17
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Bunvendor on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:09 pm

anyone got a picture of Carl Sanderson as the phantom?

Bunvendor

Posts : 227
Join date : 2011-09-17
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Devon on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:34 am

Not sure if anyone has posted this pic but it's from the 2003 Det Ny Teater production. I recently received this brochure in the mail and was told by a fellow phan that it's rare. So, here it is! I apologize if anyone else has already posted it!! And also sorry for the crappy quality, I think I need to clean my scanner!! ;-)

[img][/img]

Devon

Posts : 339
Join date : 2010-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Wisconsin

View user profile http://devonsdomain.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Bunvendor on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Here are a few pictures that caught my eye, rare or not; they are still interesting:

Wait a second, does anyone know how to post pictures off your files, not off a URL, I don't get the 'host image' thing.
I will post stuff when I get it. Anyone?

Bunvendor

Posts : 227
Join date : 2011-09-17
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Raphael on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:13 pm

thephanfullerton wrote:Wait a second, does anyone know how to post pictures off your files, not off a URL, I don't get the 'host image' thing.
I will post stuff when I get it. Anyone?
I'm no computer expert, but unless your using your home computer as a web server, I don't think you can post pictures off your original files. There are plenty of free online image hosting services out there, and when you got your internet service, you probably got a small amount of space in your account allocated for your use.

TAFKaR

_________________
Proud former member of TMCPMC
Keeper of Brianne Morgan's Masquerade hip-swish
www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Raphael

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  operafantomet on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Oh Devon, I love the expression of Tomas Ambt Kofod in that Danish picture. What a fine Raoul he was. Christine is Agnete Munk Rasmussen, and I think the Phantom is Preben Kristensen.

Here's a collage I made of Renée Knapp. Most pictures I have of her are tiiiiiny, so they seemed best fit for a collage. Knapp was original alternate Christine in the Hamburg production, became principal after a year or so, and she also repeated the role in Australia some years later. I've read she was one of Hal Prince's favourite Christines back then (but that piece of info came from her website...).


_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Devon on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:34 am

operafantomet wrote:Oh Devon, I love the expression of Tomas Ambt Kofod in that Danish picture. What a fine Raoul he was. Christine is Agnete Munk Rasmussen, and I think the Phantom is Preben Kristensen.

Here's a collage I made of Renée Knapp. Most pictures I have of her are tiiiiiny, so they seemed best fit for a collage. Knapp was original alternate Christine in the Hamburg production, became principal after a year or so, and she also repeated the role in Australia some years later. I've read she was one of Hal Prince's favourite Christines back then (but that piece of info came from her website...).


Thanks for putting the actor's names, I was too lazy to go look...lol!! Yes the picture is wonderful, am very glad I have it in a brochure now!

Thanks for posting the collage!!

Devon

Posts : 339
Join date : 2010-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Wisconsin

View user profile http://devonsdomain.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Raphael on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:12 am

operafantomet wrote:Oh Devon, I love the expression of Tomas Ambt Kofod in that Danish picture. What a fine Raoul he was. Christine is Agnete Munk Rasmussen, and I think the Phantom is Preben Kristensen.

Here's a collage I made of Renée Knapp. Most pictures I have of her are tiiiiiny, so they seemed best fit for a collage. Knapp was original alternate Christine in the Hamburg production, became principal after a year or so, and she also repeated the role in Australia some years later. I've read she was one of Hal Prince's favourite Christines back then (but that piece of info came from her website...).

The pic in the bottom left is yummy.

TAFKaR

_________________
Proud former member of TMCPMC
Keeper of Brianne Morgan's Masquerade hip-swish
www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Raphael

Posts : 1046
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare pictures 2

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:35 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum