Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Madame Giry on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:21 pm

ANEA!

So after much mulling and plotting and thinking, I've decided that I'm finally going to make good on my threat and start researching and gathering materials for a replica of the Masquerade Dual-Gender costume (to be worked on concurrently/after the Giry costume). The only link I have is to your now defunct old Geocities site. Do you have a link to your new website page for that costume? Thanks! Smile

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Wow - that is so bizarre that they removed an image of the dressing gown! Too funny.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Madame Giry wrote:ANEA!

So after much mulling and plotting and thinking, I've decided that I'm finally going to make good on my threat and start researching and gathering materials for a replica of the Masquerade Dual-Gender costume (to be worked on concurrently/after the Giry costume). The only link I have is to your now defunct old Geocities site. Do you have a link to your new website page for that costume? Thanks! Smile

~Madame~
Oh, you bet - with a bonus!

MAN/WOMAN: http://potocostumes.webs.com/masquerade/manwoman.html
MAIN SITE: http://potocostumes.webs.com/

operafantomet

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:39 pm

Huzzah! Thanks, Anea! Yeah, um, I wouldn't look forward to it being finished before NEXT Christmas though, lol. Smile

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:58 pm

*creeps in*

Anea....I know you're probably very busy and I shouldn't even be asking this, but...

Is there any chance the gallery for the different versions of Christine's dressing gown will be up anytime soon? I'm still getting linked to the Geocities page...

Thank you very much... Smile

MlleMusique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:13 am

MlleMusique wrote:*creeps in*

Anea....I know you're probably very busy and I shouldn't even be asking this, but...

Is there any chance the gallery for the different versions of Christine's dressing gown will be up anytime soon? I'm still getting linked to the Geocities page...
Lemme see... Yes, it should be up soon. I have uploaded pics and made an address and everything, just need to actually put the pics online. It will come here eventually: http://aneafiles.webs.com/potocostumes/dressing.html

Just need to actually be HOME for a while. Will visit Copenhagen, London, Florence and Rome in a two week span, so my mind is a bit here and there right now... Copenhagen now!

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:28 pm

I've finally borrowed the sewing machine from my mother, and have gotten some tips on the locations of interesting fabric shops in Toronto. I now officially have no excuse for not starting my project....

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Masquerade dress

Post  ChorusGirl on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 am

Christine's Shadow wrote:I'm looking at starting early (just a bit) and wondering about Christine's Masquerade dress. Any suggestions on patterns for the top? or just in general? I'm sort of at a loss of where to start with a costume like that, and I'm quite timid to play with dye at all, but am willing to get my hands dirty trying it.

So... suggestions?

Hi!

As Operafantomet says, a corset pattern is a great thing to start from- especially a Victorian one (19th c)! I made my Masquerade bodice actually over a repro Victorian corset that I had, though it was curious to learn that they don't actually use corsets in the Phantom productions, but they use corset material & boning to as a base for the bodices! Since I was making the American version of the dress, I went kind of crazy and individually cut out all of those little "panels" to fit over my corset (with a pillow stuffed in it to make it stand!). Non-American versions would probably be easier with the fewer panels. I used a light pink satin for my bodice (and lined it in cotton), and to do the color transition, I actually airbrushed it with watered down Jacquard Textile Colors: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1813-AA.shtml?lnav=paints.html . They worked really well & left some of the satin sheen while not making the fabric stiff. Here's a few pics that I took while it was in-progress. I had to add a bit of cotton to the top because I didn't quite get the shape right when I was making the bodice. Luckily, it pretty much got covered by all of that ribbon! The "crystals" I added to the bodice were made of plastic Christmas garland over silver sequins. They were glue-gunned on because there was no way I'd be able to hand stitch all of that on in time! I actually have a little bit of silver spangly stuff/rhinestones, etc. that I'd be happy to send to you, if you'd like. Come to think of it, I probably won't be needing those textile paints anymore... PM me if you are interested! Smile

ChorusGirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Sweet work, Addi!

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 pm

The blue-to-pink coloring job looks great! Smile

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:00 pm

I agree, an awesome effect! And so much like the US versions. What kind of brand did you use for the colouring?

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Oh my word! I saw the pictures of that gown shortly after phans week ended, and you did such a wonderful job! Thanks for all the tips, and considering the time of year I'll be looking around for stuff like silver garland. How did you get the fabric along the shoulders to ruche like that? wow thanks again for sharing!

Christine's Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Absolutely lovely! Very Happy And I am inspired to hear you made your costume over top of a corset you already had (if I understood your post correctly), as I was planning to do the same thing for the costume I'm going to attempt. Yours obviously turned out beautifully!

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks so much guys, for your kind words! It was a very fun challenge. The brand of colors I used for the bodice was Jacquard Textile Colors- I got them from the Dharma Trading Co, which has paints & dyes for all sorts of fabrics (they were a very helpful company too, in my search for the right product!). I used miles of gathered ribbon for the ruching on the sleeves. The pink ribbon was wired, so it was simply a matter of pulling one end of one of the wires. On the blue ribbon, I sewed fabric strips to the bottom for some extra fluff, and on the top, I did a loose running stitch (I think that's what it is called!), and pulled one of the threads to get it to gather. Then I gathered the gathered ribbons, and hand stitched them in place. I wish I'd bunched them even a bit closer together in the end, but I think I got pretty close to what I was after! Yes, working over a corset worked fairly well. You do need to find a friend to help you get the final fit though, as it is impossible to reach behind you when you've got it all on! One more good tip is to make sure that you do not cut the fabric strips out on the bias. I thought this would lend more 'give' to the fabric, but it actually made it wrinkle in weird directions and made it that much harder to get smooth. But now I know! And good thing too, as I've decided to tackle the Vegas Think of Me/Hannibal ensemble next year's Phantom Week... I've just started picking up fabric & notions here and there, as I know I'll need lots of stuff! Methinks stretch velvet is in order... Smile

ChorusGirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:22 pm

ChorusGirl wrote: And good thing too, as I've decided to tackle the Vegas Think of Me/Hannibal ensemble next year's Phantom Week... I've just started picking up fabric & notions here and there, as I know I'll need lots of stuff! Methinks stretch velvet is in order... Smile

That's the one I'm about to attempt making over the corset! Though I think it's safe to assume you'll have a lot more experience than I will Wink My husband and I are planning to head to Vegas next year, since we missed this year. It sounded like so much fun, from everyones reviews, photos, and videos! Who knows, if the costume doesn't turn out as I hope I may yet end up attending as 'The Opera Ghost' in a bedsheet with holes for eyes... Laughing

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Looks like there will be a group of us next year with the Hannibal Costume/Dressing Gown. Mine is based on the Vegas one too. Smile It's been in limbo at the 3/4 done point for awhile now.

MasqPhan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 pm

MasqPhan wrote:Looks like there will be a group of us next year with the Hannibal Costume/Dressing Gown. Mine is based on the Vegas one too. Smile It's been in limbo at the 3/4 done point for awhile now.

We could have our own ballet chorus!!! Though instead of the Hannibal ballet I vote for something more fun... maybe the dance from Thriller or something? They wouldn't be expecting that! Laughing

Though I hadn't been planning to add the dressing gown. That may be overly brave of me, but I guess we'll see how it turns out. I was probably going to base mine more on the UK versions - and I am not even close to having it ready! And by that I mean I can't admit to having anything more than the corset to base it on!

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 am

Rebecca wrote:
We could have our own ballet chorus!!! Though instead of the Hannibal ballet I vote for something more fun... maybe the dance from Thriller or something? They wouldn't be expecting that! Laughing

Though I hadn't been planning to add the dressing gown. That may be overly brave of me, but I guess we'll see how it turns out. I was probably going to base mine more on the UK versions - and I am not even close to having it ready! And by that I mean I can't admit to having anything more than the corset to base it on!

lol A week or so ago a few of us were thinking of how it would be neat if there were some sort of "flash mob" type thing in Vegas next year. Maybe to "Masquerade" and on a night when folks actually are in costume.

That's neat that you're doing the UK version. It'll add some variety. Didn't you have a light brown London wig? You could be Meg if you wanted with that? Very Happy Hope your UK one and Addi's Vegas version turn out well. I'll post some updated photos when I get some energy to work on mine.

MasqPhan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:42 am

lol A week or so ago a few of us were thinking of how it would be neat if there were some sort of "flash mob" type thing in Vegas next year. Maybe to "Masquerade" and on a night when folks actually are in costume.

Yeeeesssss! I still think that'd be an amazing thing. Would require a lot of planning, and coordination, but it would be so worth it!

Oh, and for people who don't know what a 'flash mob' is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k Smile

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:32 am

Yay for Hannibal costumes! We need a good Christine line up next year! I just came back from Micheal's with some Christmas ribbons & bead garland for my costume. Now's the time for green, red & sparkly!

Oh my goodness gracious... that "flash mob" thing is beyond fantastic! I am so in! We totally need to do it to Masquerade!

I'm getting excited already... Smile

ChorusGirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:12 am

So, this isn't quite a real or replica costume... but I was poking around on a high end vintage clothing website I like to 'window shop' and came across this vintage sheer, lacy robe that seemed to me like a more ... shall we say, risque, version of Christine's Dressing Gown.

This is for the guys on this forum *cough*Raph*cough* Wink
http://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_146.htm

Yowza!

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 am

Madame Giry wrote:So, this isn't quite a real or replica costume... but I was poking around on a high end vintage clothing website I like to 'window shop' and came across this vintage sheer, lacy robe that seemed to me like a more ... shall we say, risque, version of Christine's Dressing Gown.

Yowza!

~Madame~

Hubba Hubba! Very Happy

It will be nice to see so many Christine's next year. I thin Addi was the only one i saw this year.

phantom10906

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:44 am

Vegas will see such a bunch of beautiful Christines next year! Yay, this makes me so excited. Highly looking forward to follow the progress of your various garbs. Very Happy

I'm planning on making a full-scale costume for sale on eBay, where the money will be donated to the Pink Ribbon (breatcancer awareness) campaign. I've thought of this for over a year, but this last year has been so stressful so I didn't get to do it in time for this October. But for next October it should be doable. I want to do the US version of the Hannibal/Elissa ensemble. Except... Is there a costume you'd like to see there instead? I've promised myself to NEVER EVER make another wedding dress (except finish my own POTO replica), so don't ask me about that one...

But are there any other POTO costume you'd like to see for sale on eBay? I'm open for alternatives to the Elissa one (although it's very high on my list...)

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:16 pm

MasqPhan wrote:lol A week or so ago a few of us were thinking of how it would be neat if there were some sort of "flash mob" type thing in Vegas next year. Maybe to "Masquerade" and on a night when folks actually are in costume.

That sounds awesome! I'm definitely in! And I think I can safely speak for Jeff and say he'd be up for it too. Yay!!!

operafantomet wrote:Vegas will see such a bunch of beautiful Christines next year! Yay, this makes me so excited. Highly looking forward to follow the progress of your various garbs. Very Happy

I'm planning on making a full-scale costume for sale on eBay, where the money will be donated to the Pink Ribbon (breatcancer awareness) campaign.

What a lovely thing to do! You are such a talented costumer I'm sure there will be plenty of phans who would be happy to bid on any creation of yours.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the costumes next year too.I was surprised not to see more Christines at the masquerade! So excited to actually attend instead of just seeing photos!!! Very Happy cheers Very Happy

Last edited by Rebecca on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Rebecca wrote:What a lovely thing to do! You are such a talented costumer I'm sure there will be plenty of phans who would be happy to bid on any creation of yours.
Maybe... But at the same time I live a life in luxury. I'm not rich, not at all, but I live in a country where I'll be taken care of no matter what happens to me, and no matter how rotten my economy might be. I'm able to have costume making as a hobby. And it's a bit awful to not use it for something good, considering how I can actually contribute. That, plus it's a cause I support. I've had several family members + friends who's had breast cancer, and thanks to good research in the past they've all survived it. I want it to continue. /sentimental thoughts

But I've spent this day making a new bodice for the Wishing costume. The other is just too uncomfortable to wear. The new bodice is based on the Hamburg one, but in a size that actually fits me... Wink Lots of panels to cut! 12 pieces (not including sleeves) to make the bodice, and each piece consists of three layers - two of cotton with boning between, and one of the blue, stripy fabric. It total 36 pieces to cut! But I think the result will be neat, and a lot more comfortable. If I find a suitable scrap for the long panel in front.... Shocked

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:02 pm

I am *SO* in for the flash mob. I'm so excited for all of you and the costume endeavors that we shall be enduring/suffering through Razz I'm glad I'm not alone.

operafantomet! That is such an excellent idea, and as it's been said before, Phans will probably be pleasantly surprised to see something like that if they aren't on this forum. I might even put in a bid myself.

for the masquerade costume... if I don't end up finishing my Masquerade costume myself, I might just buy that sexy robe there and wear that. with a Hannibal corset. bwahah!

Christine's Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 am

Madame Giry wrote:So, this isn't quite a real or replica costume... but I was poking around on a high end vintage clothing website I like to 'window shop' and came across this vintage sheer, lacy robe that seemed to me like a more ... shall we say, risque, version of Christine's Dressing Gown.

Yowza!

~Madame~

Talk about a "Vegas" version. Is that what they use for the secret midnight show?

MasqPhan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:20 am

Definitely for the secret midnight show! Laughing

My new Wishing bodice is coming along great. I've cut ALL pieces except one for a large front panel (haven't sound a suitable scrap so far). I've also started boning it. Three down, nine to go...

ETA: 12 down, 0 to go!

This one won't have the OMG!seamwork that the original Hamburg one have. I've tried to copy it as best I could, but the pattern of my fabric, albeit it having stripes with "curves" between, is differently proportioned than the original. But I've stitched together the back panels, and I think it will look good! Very Happy

Pics to come once I'm done boning it (Phantomfett, no silly jokes about that! Laughing ).

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Not to hi-jack this thread... But I have to admit I'm very happy with how the new Wishing bodice is turning out. I've pinned everything together, and it just seems to fit so well. Everything is boned. what remains is to find a suitable scrap for a large front panel, and then I can sew everything together.

It's less boned than my old one, but the model much more flattering so less boning is needed. Hopefully it won't give me boobs of doom, and it'll also provide a better bustle shape. For the decorations on faux vest and collar I'll probably attempt something similar to the beads on the Hamburg one. Not sure yet... Suggestions?

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Beads like the Hamburg one sounds cool to me. Great that it's comming along so well. You know, when I drew my pattern off your Hamburg Wishing bodice last weekend, I forgot to draw the sleeves... How silly is that?

Phantomlove

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:38 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top