Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ...

3 posters

Go down

I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ... Empty I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ...

Post  Chantal Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Bear with me; I'm trying to remember as much as I can from a book I read about twenty years ago.

It was told from Erik's point of view, but before you start insisting that it was Susan Kay's Phantom, I can assure you that it was not. I found Kay's Phantom at the library (finally) and I never read this one before. The book I read back in junior high did not have any other person's POV, only Erik's, nor do I recall any mention of Luciana. I thumbed through Phantom looking for a part that I remember fairly clearly, and it's not there. The writing style is different, as well.

I'm taking a guess that the book was titled Erik, and it was, perhaps, over a hundred pages long (nowhere near the 400+ pages of Phantom). I've tried looking it up online, but I can't find anything that fits what I remember. I read that book several times that school year (I found it in the school library when I was in sixth grade), but, like I said, this was about twenty years ago. I do recall that there were a few illustrations and that it was written, I believe, for children.

That part that I could remember with any confidence was Erik wandering the streets and singing (he was still pretty young, either before or after being exhibited as a freak). People would call out for whoever had such a heavenly voice to show them his face, but he kept himself hidden in night's shadows. (That's not the wording from the book.)

Another part I remember is while he was being exhibited as the Living Death. He (Erik) described how people would pay their money to see him, scream, run out of the tent, then pay money to come back in and see his hideous face again.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about or where I could find out about it, I would be most appreciative. This has been bugging me for the past few years, and, to be honest, I thought it was Kay's Phantom for a while when I read a summary of it.

Last edited by Chantal on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more information added)

Chantal

http://midnight.mayvs-musings.net

Back to top Go down

I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ... Empty Re: I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ...

Post  Raphael Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Greetings Chantal,

I recall a children's book written from Erik's POV that covered the scenes you described. It was adapted by Kate McMullan as part of the "Stepping Stones Classic" series from Random House.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ... Empty Re: I recall another book (besides Susan Kay's) ...

Post  Chantal Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Raphael wrote:Greetings Chantal,

I recall a children's book written from Erik's POV that covered the scenes you described. It was adapted by Kate McMullan as part of the "Stepping Stones Classic" series from Random House.

TAFKaR

That sounds like it might be it, Raphael. I'm looking for it online now. Thank you so much for your help! cheers

Chantal

Back to top Go down

Post  Chantal Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:17 am

cheers Yes! I found an excerpt of McMullan's book at operaghost.scriptmania.com, and that was it! "My little yellow eyes gleamed in the dark." Oh, I can't tell you how much finding this means to me, Raphael! This was the third version of Erik's story that I knew (after the animated hour-long 'movie' and listening to the cast recording of ALW's Broadway production in Music class), and it only made me feel even more for him. A thousand heartfelt thanks!

Chantal

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Glad to be of help, Chantal Smile

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  exopotamie Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this. I bought it for my sister sometime in the mid-90s!

exopotamie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down