Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Argento Phantom of the Opera Film

+5
ML6
Klavirista
IamErik771
operafantomet
Devon
9 posters

Go down

Argento Phantom of the Opera Film Empty Argento Phantom of the Opera Film

Post  Devon Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:18 am

Any of you seen the Dario Argento Phantom of the Opera from 1998?

I actually want to hear what people have to say about it as I have my own opinions..LOL Be interesting to see what other people think!
Devon
Devon

http://devonsdomain.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Argento Phantom of the Opera Film Empty Re: Argento Phantom of the Opera Film

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:40 am

I've seen it. I even own in. It was cheap.

Well.... I wanna say that everything around it is quite good. The Budapest Opera House is the perfect setting, and both the Raoul and the Christine is quite fitting for this alternate take. There's also some atmospheric moments in the beginning which is promising.

But everything involving the Phantom is just pathetically bad. Like, totally cringeworthy. Though I blame this one a lot more on the script/directing than the guy playing the Phantom, he probably does his best with extremely awkward material. Cause, seriously... The dialogues... The sex... The rats.... WTF? Evil or Very Mad

I wish Argento had dared to make a true horror movie instead of this hybrid. It fails at all areas. Except, as mention, the settings. They're gorgeous. Poor Budapest Opera House, being connected with this movie...
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:26 pm

It's kind of funny that it took this long for a thread about this, erm, special film to pop up. Laughing And yes, I've seen it -- watched it on YouTube, though I may decide to try record a commentary on it just for fun.

operafantomet wrote:But everything involving the Phantom is just pathetically bad. Like, totally cringeworthy. Though I blame this one a lot more on the script/directing than the guy playing the Phantom, he probably does his best with extremely awkward material. Cause, seriously... The dialogues... The sex... The rats.... WTF? Evil or Very Mad

I wish Argento had dared to make a true horror movie instead of this hybrid. It fails at all areas. Except, as mention, the settings. They're gorgeous. Poor Budapest Opera House, being connected with this movie...

Actually, I do think the actor is to blame, at least partly. From what I've read about the making of this version, Argento originally wanted to have a really grotesque-looking, properly deformed and masked Phantom, and wanted John Malkovich to play the role (which could have been quite interesting, I think). But he couldn't get Malkovich on board for whatever reason and ended up hiring Julian Sands, who refused to wear a mask or disfiguring makeup... which forced Argento to completely rewrite the script to accommodate him.

So yeah... boo to Julian Sands for failing to see what's kinda the main point of the Phantom, and boo to Argento for giving way completely on that issue just to get Sands for the role -- yes, he's a decent actor, but there are a lot of equally good ones who probably wouldn't have set that kind of condition to play the role. At least now, Argento seems to admit that this film was a mistake.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

As I figured, I share the same views as others do...haha

I also own the film. I am an Argento fan and bought his version of Phantom without seeing it first. Got it for a very cheap price. I agree with that the theater is beautiful and for the most part, the actors were chosen well. The lady who plays Christine is actually Argento's daughter, Asia Argento (wonder how she got the role...lol) I also love Julian Sands but alas, not in the role of the Phantom. The first shocker was that he had no mask and was not disfigured. I had NO idea that Sands refused to do this though, very interesting! I think the whole concept of the Phantom went down the tubes because that is the basis of the pain and torture of his character (the disfigurement). A bit too gory for my taste but I understand that is Argento's style.

It was the sex that was just too much for me. I know with actor Julian Sands that he's naked in just about every movie he does but...lol I felt this was not necessary for Phantom. I mean, like many other phans out there I want Christine and the Phantom to be together but they don't have to show it!! I often wonder what it was like for Asia Argento to do sex scenes with Julian Sands while her father was directing!!!!!

But it was sex with the rats as Anea talked about that was waaay too much for me! I mean, getting a little freaky in the bedroom is okay but...YICK!! What was Argento trying to accomplish with that?!! (Hope I'm not coming off like a prude because I'm faaaar from it!)

All in all I was glad I bought it but it would be at the bottom of my Phantom movies list. Like Anea said, the theater and location were gorgeous and really made the story seem lush and come to life. The casting wasn't bad either but it's too bad Julian Sands refused to wear a mask, etc. I think the film would have been much better if he would have.

I actually started this thread because I didn't see it talked about anywhere! I was actually surprised! So anyone else's thoughts, post away!
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  Klavirista Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 pm

I've not heard anything about that it's Julian Sands who forced Dario Argento to re-write the original score. I hardly believe it after watching Argento's Opera (remember the flock of crows in the theatre and needles around the victim's eye? faugh).
Argento's Phantom (I mean the character) is really Penguin-from-Batman alike, isn't he?
Klavirista
Klavirista

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 am

Klavirista wrote:I've not heard anything about that it's Julian Sands who forced Dario Argento to re-write the original score. I hardly believe it after watching Argento's Opera (remember the flock of crows in the theatre and needles around the victim's eye? faugh).
Argento's Phantom (I mean the character) is really Penguin-from-Batman alike, isn't he?

I own "Opera." A bit gory but I could tell Argento was wanting to make a movie based loosely on Phantom. Then in 1998 he finally just made his own version! Knowing Argento's work, it is a bit over the time and gory/sexual at times. Actually, the film I really like by him is "Suspiria." He should get back to doing films like that. If he had made Phantom more like Suspiria I think it would have turned out better...that and having the Phantom wear a mask! lol....
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 pm

I thought this movie was hilarious. I knew when it comes to Dario Argento films, you're going to get some hilarious sick stuff. And this did not disappoint.

... But the only problem I have with it is the whole 'I filmed my daughter having sex'. ... That's just weird and wrong to me.

ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 am

Yeah, when watching Argento expect gore that's for sure! Oh and the thing I said about Argento filming his daughter doing a simulated sex scene...yup. I always thought that creepy because he was the director overseeing whichever scene they were filming and there's his daughter Asia who was playing Christine in the sack with the Phantom! YICK! Then again my husband pointed out to me that maybe over in Europe or that is wherever they filmed, that is acceptable. But it still creeps me out...leave it to me to think of that, sorry if it weirded you out!

ML6 wrote:I thought this movie was hilarious. I knew when it comes to Dario Argento films, you're going to get some hilarious sick stuff. And this did not disappoint.

... But the only problem I have with it is the whole 'I filmed my daughter having sex'. ... That's just weird and wrong to me.

Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 pm

I don´t like the movie. Some things are ok. John Malkovich as the Phantom that would be great.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:26 am

SweetChristine wrote:I don´t like the movie. Some things are ok. John Malkovich as the Phantom that would be great.

John Malkovich for the Phantom would have been awesome, I LOVE him! But the nudity and sex...ahem...lol I've seen John M. do a lot but....hahahahahaha
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:36 am

Don't forget the rats! Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 am

operafantomet wrote:Don't forget the rats! Laughing

EWWWWW....thanks, now I'm picturing John M. with rats....(gotta go wash my hands or something...lmao)
Devon
Devon

Back to top Go down

Post  RoseOfTransylvania Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am

It looks gorgeous - costumes, lighting, roses, sets - and it is interesting, but it is also clumsy and crude, and only character I sympathisized was Carlotta.
RoseOfTransylvania
RoseOfTransylvania

Back to top Go down

Post  Morleigh Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 pm

I wish someone could reach into my brain and remove the parts that remember this film. Shocked
Morleigh
Morleigh

http://morleigh13.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomasc Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:31 pm

While I don't hate this one, it's not my favorite, I'm amazed that anyone was able to get any background information on this one. The special features are in Italian is what I read on Amazon. I don't really see the problem with the sex or the rats, and the Phantom is mentally ill, I have heard the same talking points on another Phan group, I have seen worse versions of POTO Phantom of the Mall Phantom of the Grindhouse was just a bad movie. While I can't say I remember this one that well, I streamed it off of Netflix now to see it again I have to pay $30. ARGAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Any version where the Phantom and Christine end up together seems to be hated. Maybe the Universe is trying to tell us something?

Phantomasc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down