Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

+53
mona lisa
Masqueradelove
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
purplehaze93
Copycat
tiawhitecat
Becky
Paula74
HerMajesty
harryzing
ette
tromp-la-mort
Callie Daae
ravnquest1
Bric
EarlFan
Viscountess
meglett
justin1976
TheFinnishPhantom
charleygirl
ifonlyidont
StrangerThanUDreamt
AlwaysChristine
London-Phan
Madame Giry
Raphael
TheMaskedLion
Helen
MasqPhan
Phantom on a Budget
PhantomsGhost
Bunvendor
starryeyed
Aled_Boyo
PridePhan
ladygodiva
Miss von Krolock
BradPhan
MajesticPhantom
MaskedLion
IamErik771
Phantomlove
Devon
SenorSwanky
PMB1034
LadyCDaae
ML6
Scorp
operafantomet
Lycanthrope
justin-from-barbados
phantom10906
57 posters

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 22 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  HerMajesty Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I would say you definitely need to be further back to fully appreciate the set, we had the extreme front right in Manchester and all but the murder of Buquet (which was truly superb) looked a bit 'meh'. But sitting further back in Leeds it looked better (ironically Buquet's murder was very underwhelming this time).

I think Wandering Child is performed very well but the set is awful and the new 'Angel' set piece is terrible, I was so distracted by the statue's rather small manhood glittering gloriously in the spotlight that I failed to be moved by The Phantom's laments!

I think Maria B's minimal set is absolutely perfect and this production loses so much simply through not having it but certain scenes do work well, I appreciated that much more the second time around.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 22 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  tiawhitecat Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:25 pm

HerMajesty wrote:I would say you definitely need to be further back to fully appreciate the set, we had the extreme front right in Manchester and all but the murder of Buquet (which was truly superb) looked a bit 'meh'. But sitting further back in Leeds it looked better (ironically Buquet's murder was very underwhelming this time).

I think Wandering Child is performed very well but the set is awful and the new 'Angel' set piece is terrible, I was so distracted by the statue's rather small manhood glittering gloriously in the spotlight that I failed to be moved by The Phantom's laments!

I think Maria B's minimal set is absolutely perfect and this production loses so much simply through not having it but certain scenes do work well, I appreciated that much more the second time around.

Razz HerMajesty I'd just taken a drink of water when I got to your description of the Angel, I've nearly choked, you are spot on, it needed a fig leaf badly! I was in 3rd row centre and got a good view of Buquet, I was really impressed! I wouldn't go see it again though.

Forgot to say JOJ has been ill most of the week so it was an understudy Phantom, he did his best and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more with JOJ but it didn't have any wow factor for me.
tiawhitecat
tiawhitecat

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 pm

tiawhitecat wrote:
HerMajesty wrote:I would say you definitely need to be further back to fully appreciate the set, we had the extreme front right in Manchester and all but the murder of Buquet (which was truly superb) looked a bit 'meh'. But sitting further back in Leeds it looked better (ironically Buquet's murder was very underwhelming this time).

Razz HerMajesty I'd just taken a drink of water when I got to your description of the Angel, I've nearly choked, you are spot on, it needed a fig leaf badly! I was in 3rd row centre and got a good view of Buquet, I was really impressed! I wouldn't go see it again though.

Forgot to say JOJ has been ill most of the week so it was an understudy Phantom, he did his best and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more with JOJ but it didn't have any wow factor for me.

Was he off again last night? He was on on Tuesday for press night but I know he was off at the weekend. Have to say he was on great form on Tuesday and he has slimmed down a lot (like he always does) so he looks the part more. I would have loved to see the understudy though! I like seeing new Phantoms Smile

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  tiawhitecat Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:44 am

HerMajesty wrote:
tiawhitecat wrote:

Was he off again last night? He was on on Tuesday for press night but I know he was off at the weekend. Have to say he was on great form on Tuesday and he has slimmed down a lot (like he always does) so he looks the part more. I would have loved to see the understudy though! I like seeing new Phantoms Smile

I think it is looking doubtful for today too, by all account he had food poisoning at the weekend but then he has got a bad chest and throat infection. I don't use Twitter as a rule but you can read his and he said yesterday it was 'doubtful' for tonight. We had the understudy Greg Castiglioni, I've seen JOJ before twice and I'm afraid this Phantom wasn't really 'my type' lol Can't be helped though in live theatre. Crying or Very sad
tiawhitecat
tiawhitecat

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:49 am

tiawhitecat wrote:
HerMajesty wrote:
tiawhitecat wrote:

I think it is looking doubtful for today too, by all account he had food poisoning at the weekend but then he has got a bad chest and throat infection. I don't use Twitter as a rule but you can read his and he said yesterday it was 'doubtful' for tonight. We had the understudy Greg Castiglioni, I've seen JOJ before twice and I'm afraid this Phantom wasn't really 'my type' lol Can't be helped though in live theatre. Crying or Very sad

Very true, I know the first cover Richard Woodford was on last weekend, looked on Twitter - A friend of mine had my spare tickets last night - I hope they enjoyed it as I'd really hyped up JOJ! Oh well Sad Greg is second cover - I saw him as Magaldi in Evita - very average!

Have to say it is strange that JOJ made a single appearance this week (and was brilliant by the way) and it was on Press Night!

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 am

I rather liked Greg Castiglioni's Magaldi in Evita; can't imagine what one earth he's like as the Phantom.

I can imagine that without a stellar cast, this production would suffer badly. IMHO aside from its leads, it has little to offer.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tiawhitecat Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Scorp wrote:I rather liked Greg Castiglioni's Magaldi in Evita; can't imagine what one earth he's like as the Phantom.

I can imagine that without a stellar cast, this production would suffer badly. IMHO aside from its leads, it has little to offer.

I don't like criticising understudies, especially when it is someone like JOJ shoes they are filling, but I really don't think GC fits the role of Phantom physically at all. He is so slightly built, awful thing to say but no matter how good his voice or his performance I couldn't get past Katy Hall being about the same height as him! I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it more with JOJ but I did realise how little the Phantom is actually on stage for the first time! Having slept on it a few days I'm left thinking, why did they have to change things so drastically? Not as if they are charging any less, £40 each for the front stalls matinee seats!
tiawhitecat
tiawhitecat

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm curious if this will be the design to hit the U.S. tour next year, the marriage of Bjornsons' design with Webber's score to me will always be part of the total package that is "Phantom"...I know we have all voiced our opinions on the matter, but I have a feeling U.S. audiences won't be as taken with this new design if it is indeed the version that is to tour the states.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:40 am

tiawhitecat wrote:
Scorp wrote:I rather liked Greg Castiglioni's Magaldi in Evita; can't imagine what one earth he's like as the Phantom.

I don't like criticising understudies, especially when it is someone like JOJ shoes they are filling, but I really don't think GC fits the role of Phantom physically at all. He is so slightly built, awful thing to say but no matter how good his voice or his performance I couldn't get past Katy Hall being about the same height as him! I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it more with JOJ but I did realise how little the Phantom is actually on stage for the first time! Having slept on it a few days I'm left thinking, why did they have to change things so drastically? Not as if they are charging any less, £40 each for the front stalls matinee seats!

Greed? I thought the prices for the Les Mis tour were similarly ridiculous given that it too was a cost-cutting exercise. Over £80 for a top seat at the Barbican! Shocked
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

tiawhitecat wrote:

That's cheap! Front stalls/dress circle evening are £55 each, that's London prices - mind you, still much cheaper than the US.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  tiawhitecat Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

HerMajesty wrote:
tiawhitecat wrote:

That's cheap! Front stalls/dress circle evening are £55 each, that's London prices - mind you, still much cheaper than the US.

I'm glad I went to the matinee, like you say the same seats are £55 for a weekend evening, and the view was definitely restricted, in the final lair I could only just see the top of the monkey and the Phantom lol and I sit fairly tall, don't think the smaller people on the front row would see much at all. My friend is going tomorrow for the matinee but she is in the Dress Circle, I think that will improve it, unless the chandelier is in the way.
tiawhitecat
tiawhitecat

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:13 am

From another forum...clear video of the journey to the lair

Last edited by StrangerThanUDreamt on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 am

Not supposed to post wine here.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 am

removed it Wink
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:49 am

So I finally saw some footage of the full chandelier "crash"...wtf...so underwhelming Evil or Very Mad
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  tiawhitecat Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:So I finally saw some footage of the full chandelier "crash"...wtf...so underwhelming Evil or Very Mad

Lol glad you said that, I have been thinking about the chandelier since I saw it and I got a bit smiffed that I had paid full price seats and without dislocating my neck nearly couldn't see the chandelier, it might as well not been there. So I emailed the Leeds Grand theatre as I was on the 3rd row of the front stalls and I noticed the front row are classed as restricted and suggested I'd been 'overcharged'. They have virtually told me to get lost! Sad So I would say to anyone booking for a performance later in the tour avoid the front stalls at all costs even if the 'rise and fall' is 'underwhelming' at least you will see it. I know not all auditoriums are the same but better to be safe than sorry.
tiawhitecat
tiawhitecat

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:37 pm

tiawhitecat wrote:
StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:So I finally saw some footage of the full chandelier "crash"...wtf...so underwhelming Evil or Very Mad

Lol glad you said that, I have been thinking about the chandelier since I saw it and I got a bit smiffed that I had paid full price seats and without dislocating my neck nearly couldn't see the chandelier, it might as well not been there. So I emailed the Leeds Grand theatre as I was on the 3rd row of the front stalls and I noticed the front row are classed as restricted and suggested I'd been 'overcharged'. They have virtually told me to get lost! Sad So I would say to anyone booking for a performance later in the tour avoid the front stalls at all costs even if the 'rise and fall' is 'underwhelming' at least you will see it. I know not all auditoriums are the same but better to be safe than sorry.

Am I the only one getting the feeling they could might as well have dropped the chandelier (PUN INTENDED)? I mean, it cost them a pretty penny, and they still have to work on installing it in every theatre though it doesn't drop. It moves and blinks a bit, an sprays plastic crystals down into the stalls, but in the age of CGI you'd expect something way more fantastic than that. And as a personal thing, it doesn't even look good. It looks like something you'd find in a Vegas hotel from the 80s. And if only a handful of the audience can actually see it, why bother with it at all? I would be much more impressed if they did what they did in Hungary, with turning the perspective (as after "Think of Me") and have the chandelier drop on stage. Even a projection would work. The tour chandelier kinda fails on all levels...

And I'm not just saying that cause I sat under "Maria" in Las Vegas!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 pm

This is exactly how I feel; even if they cant crash it to the stage, if they put all the time into installing it and making it "shake" why cant it at least plunge 10-15ft instead of staying in one position? Of course I realize it cant be done on the scale of Maria in Vegas (which Im forever spoiled by sitting under as well, haha) but just something a bit more...true to the nature of the content? Here is my issue, if the original effect was done in the late 80's and was hailed as groundbreaking, surely with advancements of today it can be done on a smaller scale but much more easily. From what I saw this new tour shoots one small jet of sparks then "shakes"; If they have to go that route I'd prefer a RAH style were it was loaded with the stuff and shot from all angles...but I also think a small issue is the design of this new tour chandelier, it isnt exactly a grand piece to behold, it is pretty, but I still say it looks unfinished...

Just for comparison

New UK Tour
25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 22 Tumblr_m6x77v8vri1qgdhs7o2_1280
Original
25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 22 Tumblr_m66xg0m0La1rn1bmqo3_1280
Maria from Vegas
25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 22 Tumblr_lekor2Kv9L1qe6xbuo1_500
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:06 pm

New Interview with JOJ about the tour
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/the-phantom-of-the-opera-unmasked-1-2525261

Some of the more interesting quotes:

“The reason they’ve changed it is that they can’t really tour the old set anymore because of the cost,” “There’s a huge cost when it comes to building it as they have to close streets near the theatre to strengthen the roof to hold the chandelier. So this version was designed to be packed away and put back up again in four or five days.”
But the chandelier (I would argue) is one of THE stars of the show, the story centers around it and the disaster that follows, it's too much of an iconic piece to mess with IMO

“I know the show inside out, our director Laurence Connor knows it inside out, and that allowed us to go back and say, ‘Actually, we shouldn’t do that. It’s too much like the original.’
Because they would've had to have paid dues to Hal Prince, no?

“One of the things that has been most enjoyable about the whole process is having Cameron’s say so that we could do anything we wanted.”
It seems that there wasn't any real sense of what direction to take this new version in, just a mixed bag of trying new things. Change for the sake of change?
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:26 am

then to use that same argument, there is no reason not to tour the original in the US and not this nonsense. since the road houses in the US are usually huge, adequate loading room, and would have toured the show before so should have no problem with the chandelier, even if they use this crappy looking chandelier, surely they could make it drop.
unless when they tour the US they plan to play at school halls and very small venues.

also I am not buying this whole 'the original chandelier is too heavy' routine. We live in a day and age where you can make something that bulky out of extremely lightweight and resilient materials. The heaviest thing about the chandelier should be the car battery it runs on.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:30 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:
“One of the things that has been most enjoyable about the whole process is having Cameron’s say so that we could do anything we wanted.”
It seems that there wasn't any real sense of what direction to take this new version in, just a mixed bag of trying new things. Change for the sake of change?

I suspect Cameron's instructions to Connor were more along the lines of: "You know our copy-and-paste technique in Les Mis? Don't do that here. Trevor Nunn whined about it and if we do it here I think Hal Prince might try and sue me. I've paid him off but he might come back if you nick his cool stuff. So...come up with something else. Maybe you could steal from some school productions?"
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:54 pm

“I know the show inside out, our director Laurence Connor knows it inside out, and that allowed us to go back and say, ‘Actually, we shouldn’t do that. It’s too much like the original.’

There are good reasons to try something new with a a story, but I don't think that's one of them. I can understand not wanting to look like watered-down Prince, but too much change-for-change's-sake and you end up with something with no real vision apart from "being different." And from what I've seen, lack of a strong, consistant vision is this tour's biggest problem.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Scorp wrote:

I suspect Cameron's instructions to Connor were more along the lines of: "You know our copy-and-paste technique in Les Mis? Don't do that here. Trevor Nunn whined about it and if we do it here I think Hal Prince might try and sue me. I've paid him off but he might come back if you nick his cool stuff. So...come up with something else. Maybe you could steal from some school productions?"
THIS!! THIS!!! Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:40 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Scorp wrote:

THIS!! THIS!!! Laughing

I've been spending too much time on Facebook/Tumblr, I tried to "like" the post!

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_cJDqqEfg
In this behind the scenes video for the tour I have found some very interesting words from Cameron himself...

For those that dont want to skip to the 3:17 mark on the video...here are his words regarding keeping the tour in its original format

Cameron "I wanted everyone, in whichever city this production appears to see the SAME show as you can see on Broadway or in London. Otherwise, there would be no point , it would just be an exploitation of the originals success"

I believe the phrase is..insert foot in mouth?
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:48 pm

In a few days I am in Edinburgh to see the new version. Can´t wait to see how it will be.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Copycat Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi All,
I've got 2 tickets to sell for today (Saturday). Stalls. 6th row. To be collected from the Box Office. I realise it's rather late, but spread the word, if you know anybody who would like to go. Thanks in advance!

Copycat

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:16 pm

So, I'll be seeing Earl's first performance in the tour on Monday evening. I booked the tickets before I'd even saw the show at all (saw it in Manchester with JOJ) and was looking forward to it, because it is Earl, but I was just thinking, that what I loved about Earl was how "other worldly" he could make the Phantom appear and I'm wondering how he'll keep with the "more human" portrayal they are looking for in the tour.

We shall see!

A friend of mine was in Edinburgh seeing JOJ's last show this evening. She isn't into the fandom or anything so didn't realise until I told her what performance she had actually been at but she said it was absolutely brilliant and the atmosphere was amazing. JOJ took his mask etc off at curtain call apparently.

ETA: So Earl was actually fantastic, a lot of the "human" blocking aspects have been removed from the tour to fit with his Phantom more and despite a small error at the end of the show (first timers wouldn't have noticed) he was 100% on form. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for almost every other member of the cast but I won't go into it right now as I may start ranting at 2 am. I'm going to put it down to the tough rehearsal schedule they have had!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 am

I was there too. I´ve seen 4 shows - John Owen Jones/Katie Hall: Friday/Saturday evening, John Owen Jones/Olivia Brereton Saturday matinee and Monday Earl Carpenter/Katie Hall and the whole first cast ever.
I was very impressed with the new version. I really love it from the beginning to the end.
Earl plays the role totally different to John. He acts more and I really like it. He brought me to tears.
I like the changes....! I like it!

I prefer Olivia as Christine, she is more natural in playing Christine. She acts better.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Well SweetChristine, I am informed there has been even more changes since we both last saw it to fit in with Earl's Phantom. A bunch of things were changed yesterday to be performed from last night onwards which seem to be getting pretty good reviews (and seem to be liked by the cast too!)

I have tickets for a show that's scheduled to be Olivia performing as Christine so I am looking forward to seeing her. I can't quite put my finger on what I am slightly unsure of in regards to Katie's performance in the role but there's just something about her that doesn't scream "Christine" to me. I will however state that the power with which she uses behind the word "hate" in the Final Lair is something else entirely and the best out of any Christine I've ever seen performing the role, I just wish she could use that power in other aspects of the show.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next