Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

+53
mona lisa
Masqueradelove
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
purplehaze93
Copycat
tiawhitecat
Becky
Paula74
HerMajesty
harryzing
ette
tromp-la-mort
Callie Daae
ravnquest1
Bric
EarlFan
Viscountess
meglett
justin1976
TheFinnishPhantom
charleygirl
ifonlyidont
StrangerThanUDreamt
AlwaysChristine
London-Phan
Madame Giry
Raphael
TheMaskedLion
Helen
MasqPhan
Phantom on a Budget
PhantomsGhost
Bunvendor
starryeyed
Aled_Boyo
PridePhan
ladygodiva
Miss von Krolock
BradPhan
MajesticPhantom
MaskedLion
IamErik771
Phantomlove
Devon
SenorSwanky
PMB1034
LadyCDaae
ML6
Scorp
operafantomet
Lycanthrope
justin-from-barbados
phantom10906
57 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 2 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  Miss von Krolock Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 pm

There's someone on the whatsonstage forum saying the tour will start in Plymouth on the 13th March 2012 and Phantom and Christine will be played by unknown performers. Does anyone know anything about this?

ETA: Same thing on the Dress Circle forum...
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 2 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 am

At least it's not Ramin and Sierra...if that report is true.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:17 am

Miss von Krolock wrote:There's someone on the whatsonstage forum saying the tour will start in Plymouth on the 13th March 2012 and Phantom and Christine will be played by unknown performers. Does anyone know anything about this?
Unknown is good. Many brilliant POTO performers was unknown to the general audience before starring in one of the lead roles. I've been way more disappointed by the "big" names than with unknown performers in the past!

Have no idea if the rumour is true, though.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 pm

"Unknown" could also simply mean "not cast yet," but I'm all for it if they want to go for fresh blood. There are several brilliant PotO veterans out there, but it gets old when the same three or four actors rotate through a part.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:15 pm

If Ramin sticks to his word that the 25th anniversary will be his last time as the Phantom, then hopefully we won't get the LND leads heading this cast and "unknown" will mean unknown. I hope it's someone more age-appropriate in the role of the Phantom than Ramin, though.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:49 pm

MaskedLion wrote:Honestly? IMHO, I never liked the sets for the original productions, especially in the lair scene. (Crazy I know.) but I don't believe that I should have to fill in the shadows with my imagination when I just paid over 100 dollars to see a production. I don't think we need to see every single bead on Carlotta's dress, I honestly preferred the Hungarian and Polish designs in terms of sets. Leroux gave Erik a wonderful house, and I feel he deserves better than what Maria Björnson gave him. At least give him a better pipe organ for hells sake, I do hope when they restage this, they focus more on the character development, Maybe it's just me and the US tours, but I have never truly felt that Phantom loved Christine, during the times I have seen the show in the US. *shrugs*
While you are intitled to you opinion, I as well as others absolutely loved Maria Bjournsons design, and I think that even if it is over 100 dollars, you see every penny of it truly on stage on the sets, and on the costumes, in fact when the tour was in Cleveland in 2010 nothing was spared, the costumes truly sparkled, and beyond,

to say that you never believed that the US Phantom never truly loved Christine, you never saw Michael Crawford as the phantom his Phantom absolutely adored and worshipped Christine, and I thought Rick Hilsabecks Phantom loved Christine as well and Tim Martin Gleason, but, and the Phantoms Lair in my opinion was fantastic, everything with this show was romantic and beautiful, and gelled together, from Hal Princes direction, to Jillian Lynnes coreography

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

So how similar do we think this production (for which there is a full-page advert in the souvenir brochure for the RAH event, with a new logo based on the original, similar to the Vegas logo) is going to be to what we saw at the RAH? The director is the same, but I would much rather see AN ACTUAL NEW PRODUCTION as opposed to a lame watering-down of the original. The tour does at least have a new set designer, who hopefully will come up with something new rather than try to ape what Maria did and fail. I hope the tour isn't overly projection-filled and that this Laurence Connor bloke doesn't cannibalise Hal Prince's direction, though he probably will. Biggest fear: revisionism to make LND plausible, à la Sierra exit in the final lair scene at RAH.

Tour dates:

25/02/12 - 31/03/12 - Theatre Royal, Plymouth
04/04/12 - 19/05/12 - Palace Theatre, Manchester
22/05/12 - 30/06/12 - Hippodrome, Bristol
04/07/12 - 11/08/12 - Grand Canal, Dublin
15/08/12 - 15/09/12 - Grand Theatre, Leeds
19/09/12 - 20/10/12 - Playhouse, Edinburgh
24/10/12 - 24/11/12 - Milton Keynes Theatre
04/12/12 - 12/01/13 - Millennium Centre, Cardiff
22/01/13 - 16/02/13 - Mayflower, Southampton
19/02/13 - 09/03/13 - Empire Theatre, Liverpool
12/03/13 - 04/05/13 - Hippodrome, Birmingham

I still can't believe the era of Hal Prince's production touring the UK and the US is finally over.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:48 am

Cameron Mackintosh is delighted to present a spectacular new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera premiering at the Theatre Royal Plymouth in March 2012, with previews from 27 February and a press night on 13 March 2012. The Phantom of the Opera will star John Owen-Jones and Earl Carpenter, who will share the role of ‘The Phantom’ and Katie Hall who will play the role of ‘Christine’. Full tour schedule with casting details and on sale dates attached.

(...)

...retaining Maria Björnson’s amazing costumes...

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/news/latest-news/phantom-to-tour-the-uk-from-march-2012

Believe it or not, I'm kinda disappointed they're keeping Bjørnson's costumes.... I ADORE her Phantom costumes, you all know that. But I hoped they would re-invent the whole Phantom universe, not make strange hybrids. Because I think there's an important dialogue between her set design and her costume design. And because I had hoped for something brand new, and not something pretending to be new, but which is basically just a cheapened down Prince/Bjørnson version made easier to tour.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:36 am

operafantomet wrote:And because I had hoped for something brand new, and not something pretending to be new, but which is basically just a cheapened down Prince/Bjørnson version made easier to tour.

Not surprising though, considering the 25th anniversary tour of Miz basically cannibalised the original but made it cheaper and easier to tour (even though I enjoyed it, largely due to the cast). At least the leads picked so far are good, so even if the design is rubbish, the cast will be good.

So who fancies going to see this with me in either Bristol or Manchester?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  PridePhan Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:47 am

Maybe a stupid question, but does this tour in the UK next year also mean that they will close down on Her majestys?
I was planning to go to London in sep 2012 and see it a couple of times but maybe it will be closed down then????? Sad
PridePhan
PridePhan

http://www.walentine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 pm

PridePhan wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but does this tour in the UK next year also mean that they will close down on Her majestys?
I was planning to go to London in sep 2012 and see it a couple of times but maybe it will be closed down then????? Sad
Well, nothing is written in stone, but I think they plan on sending the UK tour to the US eventually, and I think they would want to keep a permanent production in the UK.

But then again, ALW planned on closing the production at Her Majesty's and move LND in there if it was a success (or so credible people said), so who knows.

Scorp, true about the Les Mis tour. It seems like basically the same concept and basically the same cast.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Aled_Boyo Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:59 pm

So far, so Phantom, re: casting! Sounds good. If Simon Bailey gets Raoul, this is shaping up to be a pretty solid trio.

Although I admired Earl Carpenter's interpretation when I saw him, he lacks the 'wow factor' for me when it comes to the vocals. So I'm a bit disappointed he's got the Cardiff date - but I'll probably still go! Happy that Katie Hall is finally getting the recognition she deserves. I wonder who the understudy / alternate will be?

Scorp, I'd be up for a Bristol trip to catch JOJ. It's only 45mins away from Cardiff. What do you say?
Aled_Boyo
Aled_Boyo

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm

I cannot believe John Owen Jones is The Phantom!

I think I'll be catching the latter half of the Edinburgh run to see Earl... I've never seen him before so I'm not just avoiding JOJ because I don't like him. I've also never seen Katie Hall as Christine and was planning to see her next June in London, that mucks up that plan. I wonder who the new alternate at Her Majesty's will be?

I also find it funny that Katie Hall has been in two 25th Anniversary productions and left them both to go on tour, she's really had such a busy career for being so young.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Does anyone know who the Birmingham phantom will be. I have seen and loved both phantoms but JOJ is the clear winner.
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:28 pm

I did propose JOJ would be the tour Phantom some while ago, I just had a strong feeling of that being the case. But I was surprised to see JOJ AND Earl Carpenter AND Katie Hall...

That said, although I objectively agree with those saying Earl Carpenter's vocals as the Phantom doesn't have the wow factor, I remember being totally mesmerized by him on stage. He had so many cool nuances and details in his portrayal. I always hoped he would return as the Phantom, but I most admit I hoped for a return at HMT. That said, he was the one revealing that he and Cameron Mackintosh WAS working on a forthcoming UK tour some years ago, so I'm not directly surprised.

Aled_Boyo, you don't think Katie Hall has gotten the recognition she deserves? I think she's gotten LOTS of recognition and cred for her Cosette and Christine.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:37 pm

operafantomet wrote:Well, nothing is written in stone, but I think they plan on sending the UK tour to the US eventually, and I think they would want to keep a permanent production in the UK.

But then again, ALW planned on closing the production at Her Majesty's and move LND in there if it was a success (or so credible people said), so who knows.

Scorp, true about the Les Mis tour. It seems like basically the same concept and basically the same cast.

If they are planning on sending the UK tour to the US, then I hope they keep Earl and JOJ. Dying to see either one of them as Phantom.

I saw some vids of Les Miz new sets/rehashed costumes and have to say I was kind of disappointed. Basically since they were so similar and no turn table some of the new blocking and scenes didn't feel real smooth, kind of blocky, and really didn't have the oomph factor of the original. Especially the Barricade and the death of Gavroche and Enjorlas. I wish it had been totally re-imagined. With the right people in place it could have been a lot better. Instead I was waiting for things to happen that never did here and there.

I'm hoping this won't be the case for POTO.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:39 pm

kind of thrilled about the casting, would love for there to be a 'live' highlights CD as with Les Miz but not holding my breath.

As for the staging, read in the 25th brochure that they want to focus more on 'backstage' at the opera not so much onstage, so I am guessing they will be toning down the opulence.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:57 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:kind of thrilled about the casting, would love for there to be a 'live' highlights CD as with Les Miz but not holding my breath.

As for the staging, read in the 25th brochure that they want to focus more on 'backstage' at the opera not so much onstage, so I am guessing they will be toning down the opulence.

Hmm. That I wouldn't mind, I guess, as long as they don't go the other route and have larger bigger "better" more realistic sets.

I've always preferred minimalist sets or even no sets at all. I like to use my imagination as to what they could be. Smile
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Oh something I've just picked up, Cameron Mackintosh says "retaining Maria Bjornson's amazing costumes" so we don't have to worry about new costumes at least, which was the impression given with the original release.

Also, Matthew Bourne is apparently overseeing the production!

Sad to see Gillian Lynne won't be doing the choreography this time round though...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Aled_Boyo Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I meant it's great she finally got principal, and in a brand-new version too. Good on her!

I agree, Earl's portrayal is fascinating. He brings a ton of vulnerability and depth to the role. It's a shame that when I saw him he struggled with the vocals - he cracked on the 'be', which, truth be told any Phan would find disappointing. It's annoying really, because his lower register is brilliant.

I can't fault him as an actor. Plus like I said, I'll more than likely go. But if I'd had the choice who to see locally, I would've preferred JOJ. But Bristol isn't far at all, so I'll see both! And it'll be interesting to compare, as per ushe...

Aled_Boyo
Aled_Boyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:14 pm

operafantomet wrote:
That said, although I objectively agree with those saying Earl Carpenter's vocals as the Phantom doesn't have the wow factor, I remember being totally mesmerized by him on stage. He had so many cool nuances and details in his portrayal.

I completely agree. He remains the first and only Phantom to ever make me cry. And that was in a *boot* no less. Agreed, he is captivating on stage and makes some excellent acting decisions. He went down on one knee after Christine returned the ring in Final Lair...oh yeah, I was done. Sad
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 pm

For those who haven't seen it, the Phantom FB site has posted what seems to be the new poster:

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 2 Newtourposter

Palais Garnier chandelier? The classical mask? The classical logo, only updated (more emphasis on PHANTOM)? No purple in sight? I like it. A lot.

Only thing I'm not sure I'm digging is the quadruppled use of the Golden Angel/proscenium statues above the mask. I like the "surpressed sexuality" it adds to it - but do they want Bjørnson's design or not? Make up your mind... Apart from that, this poster is very, very cool.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PridePhan Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Well, nothing is written in stone, but I think they plan on sending the UK tour to the US eventually, and I think they would want to keep a permanent production in the UK.

I hope they keep the original in London for a while longer. I am checking like twice a day if new tickets are for sale but last date is still april 28 2012
PridePhan
PridePhan

http://www.walentine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:27 pm

PridePhan wrote:I hope they keep the original in London for a while longer. I am checking like twice a day if new tickets are for sale but last date is still april 28 2012
Seeing how Earl Carpenter has announced he'll be the Phantom at Her Majesty's Theatre after Peter Jöback leaves - from December 2011 to March 2012 - I would assume the next block of tickets to be released is right around the corner.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Anea, it's the other way around. He is The Phantom between JOJ and Peter. I can see why it is so confusing though, too much Phantom news for one day!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:33 pm

starryeyed wrote:Anea, it's the other way around. He is The Phantom between JOJ and Peter. I can see why it is so confusing though, too much Phantom news for one day!

So JOJ until mid December 2011, then Earl Carpenter from December 2011-March 2012, and THEN Peter Jöback from March 2012 until ca. September 2012? Aaaaw, gotcha.

And bummer.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Was there always suppose to be someone playing the lead in between JOJ and Peter J. and the name was just never released until now? I was just curious.
I can't get over to London or to see the UK tour but would love to have got to see Earl Carpenter live. For those of you who do go, have an awesome time.

MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Well, according to JOJ, it was originally supposed to be him until March 2012 and the producers forced him to leave in December and do the earlier tour dates.

Seems odd though, I mean why did they so want him to do the earlier dates?

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm really excited about seeing Earl Carpenter and Katie Hall together. Earl's my favourite Phantom, and I really liked Katie when I saw her a couple of years ago. I had planned to see her in London at some point, but I think I'll wait for the tour now.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaskedLion Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:48 am

starryeyed wrote:Well, according to JOJ, it was originally supposed to be him until March 2012 and the producers forced him to leave in December and do the earlier tour dates.

Seems odd though, I mean why did they so want him to do the earlier dates?

Possibly because he is so famous and well loved in the role, starting with a unknown, in a new redesigned tour? Seems like a huge risk, I think the bosses wanted to play it safe. So cast some of the best loved actors in the role on the West End at the moment.
TheMaskedLion
TheMaskedLion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next