Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Mandrake wrote:"It's a bit unsatisfactory, the ending, isn't it, really?"

OMG

Um, how about...NO.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Music Clip - Coney Island Waltz

Post  PhantomJT on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Mandrake wrote:
ETA: You can get the free preview track just by signing up for news alerts...
Or you can just get it straight from http://cloudfront.loveneverdies.com/ConeyIslandWaltz.mp3 ;-)
(Only works in Firefox for me)

Thanks for sharing this clip! I must admit, the music does sound haunting and eerie - however I have great concerns that this music is affiliated with a Phantom sequel...

I'm looking forward to hearing what the UK Phans have to say about their up close and personal review of todays press release at HMT... What a Face

~PhantomJT What a Face

PhantomJT

Posts : 49
Join date : 2009-10-08
Location : Toronto, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  EarlFan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Well, just watched the press launch. I can't say I'm very impressed of the music so far. That crappy creepy Coney Island Waltz tune, to be honest I feel nothing special when I hear it and it doesn't get stuck in my head. (When I leave HM's I always got the tunes in my head) The song Ramin sang was quite good but it doesn't sound like a musical-song. If he released it as a track on a CD it would be a different matter and I should consider listening to it.

EarlFan

Posts : 278
Join date : 2009-09-21
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  operafantomet on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Paula74 wrote:
Mandrake wrote:"It's a bit unsatisfactory, the ending, isn't it, really?"

OMG

Um, how about...NO.
Or what about.... NO!!!! ?

_________________
JOSEFINE TO THE PHANTOM:
You come off as... somewhat... rough...

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Christine's Shadow on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm

does anyone else notice how ALW is shaking like a leaf? It's like he sensed our posts before they happened and he was just waiting for us all to storm in and shove his head up a french horn bell.

Christine's Shadow

Posts : 137
Join date : 2009-09-23
Age : 25
Location : Toronto, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  EarlFan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Christine's Shadow wrote:does anyone else notice how ALW is shaking like a leaf? It's like he sensed our posts before they happened and he was just waiting for us all to storm in and shove his head up a french horn bell.

Haha, yes. He seemed a bit nervous Razz

EarlFan

Posts : 278
Join date : 2009-09-21
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Christine's Shadow on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 pm

the song is nice but, it doesn't belong in musical theater. if anything it's very "learn to be lonely-meets-the-stage-poorly" style. ALW just doesn't have the same sense of musicality he had back in the 80's.

Christine's Shadow

Posts : 137
Join date : 2009-09-23
Age : 25
Location : Toronto, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  aussiephan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:49 pm

To me the Coney Island Waltz sounds like something out of Sunset Boulevard, don't know what to think of the song Ramin sang - sounded too smooth. Just hope this ends out OK (and doesn't destroy our phantom) as I have bought 3 tickets to it (one on each level) since I'm spending hours of jetlag on a plane to get to London.

Bonnie

aussiephan

Posts : 23
Join date : 2009-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Miss von Krolock on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Just watched the press launch, but with no sound. Will have to wait until tonight when I’m at home for that, but I can say that I do like Ramin’s acting during the song. Am quite curious now.

And ALW ALWAYS acts nervous whenever he’s holding a microphone and/or speaking in public
Laughing

Miss von Krolock

Posts : 148
Join date : 2009-09-21
Location : Portugal

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Rebecca on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Jeff and I just finished watching the press launch. Still not sold on this story line AT ALL!

Ramin is wonderfully talented, no doubt about that. It's not his fault at all that the story really shouldn't exist.

ALW didn't even look convinced that this was a good idea. I agree, he seemed really nervous. Steam almost blew out of my ears when he said that bit about 'not a very satisfactory ending...' um, really?!? Then why has is been such a hit for the past 24 years?? I think people have been pretty down with it. Rolling Eyes

(Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or anything - I hope that those of you who went had an enjoyable time... I just really don't care for the plot...)

~Rebecca

Rebecca

Posts : 133
Join date : 2009-09-23
Location : Toronto, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Phantomlove on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I just saw the press launch and ehm, hm, no, sorry, I'm not getting interested. I think I was more insterested before the launch. The Coney Island Waltz, ok, music but it got repetitive really quickly.

As for Ramin's song, blah, really bland and I can't picture the Phantom in that song at all.

Phantomlove

Posts : 221
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Phantomlove wrote:
As for Ramin's song, blah, really bland and I can't picture the Phantom in that song at all.

I didn't get to see that part of the video because of a phone call, but I did read the lyrics and...gah...they ARE bland. Just plain mopey and wishy-washy.

I'm sorry, but reading them made me picture The Phantom as Eponine.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Miss von Krolock on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Paula74 wrote:I didn't get to see that part of the video because of a phone call, but I did read the lyrics and...gah...they ARE bland. Just plain mopey and wishy-washy.
The lyrics? Where are the lyrics? What have I missed?

Miss von Krolock

Posts : 148
Join date : 2009-09-21
Location : Portugal

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:42 pm

Miss von Krolock wrote:
Paula74 wrote:I didn't get to see that part of the video because of a phone call, but I did read the lyrics and...gah...they ARE bland. Just plain mopey and wishy-washy.
The lyrics? Where are the lyrics? What have I missed?

Someone posted them on a couple of other boards. They're not 100% perfect because they just transcribed them from the video, but...here goes.


The day starts
The day ends
Time crawls by
Night stealing(?)
Pacing the floor
The moment's creep yet I can't bear to sleep
Till I hear you sing
And weeks past, and months past
seasons fly
still you don't walk through the door
and in a hate I count the silent days
till I hear you sing once more
and sometimes and nighttime I dream that you are there
But wake holding nothing but the empty air
and eves come and leaves go
Time runs dry
Still I ache down to the core
My broken soul can't be alive and whole tell I hear you sing once more
and music your music, it teases in my ear
It turns and it fades away and you're not hear
Let hopes past. Let dreams past. Let them die
without you what are they for.
I'll always feel no more than halfway real
Till I hear you sing once more.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Mandrake on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:44 pm

Yes it seems like we're going to get a more self-aware, mature Phantom who's now all grown up. Seems to me they will present his love for Christine, this time, as more natural and wistful rather than corrupt and demanding... Which perhaps makes it more likely he will win the day? Perhaps this is one way to leave his redemption intact.

Don't know if want.

Mandrake

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-10-02
Age : 42
Location : Glasgow/ London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Phantomlove on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Paula74 wrote:
Phantomlove wrote:
As for Ramin's song, blah, really bland and I can't picture the Phantom in that song at all.

I didn't get to see that part of the video because of a phone call, but I did read the lyrics and...gah...they ARE bland. Just plain mopey and wishy-washy.

I'm sorry, but reading them made me picture The Phantom as Eponine.

Eponine was exactly who I had at the back of my mind when Ramin threw out his hands and got into the crescendo. Eponine!Phantom on Coney Island.

Phantomlove

Posts : 221
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  HDKingsbury on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Lloyd Weber makes new Phantom set at Coney Island
22 minutes ago

(AP:LONDON) Andrew Lloyd Weber has announced a sequel to his massively successful "Phantom of the Opera" that will be set at Coney Island.

Weber's new production, "Love Never Dies," is due to open in London in March of next year.

The musical picks up a decade after the original's conclusion, and has the Phantom trading his hideout beneath the Paris opera house for he Brooklyn amusement park.

Weber said Thursday that he wanted to produce a sequel because the conclusion of the original was too boring.

The new musical will be staged in New York beginning in November 2010.

The original hit musical featured elaborate staging and songs like "The Music of the Night."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Did anyone else see this? That Andy says the original ending is boring? WTF?? (I bolded that sentence above; it wasn't that way in the original.)

HDKingsbury

Posts : 128
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 116
Location : Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:59 pm

HDKingsbury wrote:
Did anyone else see this? That Andy says the original ending is boring? WTF?? (I bolded that sentence above; it wasn't that way in the original.)

I did see that and I'm going to quote what I just said over at the other board...

That comment is just so ridiculously out-of-touch.

People haven't spent the past two decades a-bitchin' and a-moanin' that the ending of the stage show was unsatisfying. Every time I've seen it, people have been in tears and saying, "OMG that was beautiful." From my experience, most of this supposed need for a fulfilling resolution came about after the gaudy bodice-ripper movie...which isn't too surprising given how all those little extras like the smashing of mirrors and the rose-and-ring on the grave muddle up the ending needlessly and the movie, on the whole, is unsatisfying...like a pretty dessert that's all sugar and food-coloring, but not real substance.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:01 pm

The Coney Island Waltz sounds like a rip-off of the "Lawrence of Arabia" theme music.

Why is Ramin trying to sound like Gerard Butler in the press launch song? He clearly has a good voice but then he keeps doing this awful gravelly whispering thing that Gerard kept doing in the film. Ugh. Nothing about this sounds appealing.

Cape Twirl of Doom

Posts : 103
Join date : 2009-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Cape Twirl of Doom wrote:The Coney Island Waltz sounds like a rip-off of the "Lawrence of Arabia" theme music.

That's the third...or maybe fourth...time I've come across that comparison.

It's been so long since I've seen "Lawrence of Arabia" that I can just vaguely remember the theme music, but the whole time I was listening to this Coney Island Waltz, I was thinking it sounded like something I've heard before.

In general, that piece just feels like a good, but not mind-blowingly wonderful movie score.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  HDKingsbury on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Cape Twirl of Doom wrote:The Coney Island Waltz sounds like a rip-off of the "Lawrence of Arabia" theme music.

Why is Ramin trying to sound like Gerard Butler in the press launch song? He clearly has a good voice but then he keeps doing this awful gravelly whispering thing that Gerard kept doing in the film. Ugh. Nothing about this sounds appealing.
Because this whole sequel idea was fueled by the movie? Just a thought!

I'll be honest; I'm staying away from the LND stuff right now. Maybe later, when all the hoopla has died down, I'll drop by for a visit to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for that follow up, Paula. Yes, the man's mental integrity seems to be lacking these days, with this whole sequel...I mean stand alone follow up to Phantom.

And all this comparison to Lawrence of Arabia, though, has me curious. The soundtrack to LoA has always been a favorite of mine (as has the movie). I'll take a listen later on, just to compare.


Last edited by HDKingsbury on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

HDKingsbury

Posts : 128
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 116
Location : Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Paula74 wrote:
Cape Twirl of Doom wrote:The Coney Island Waltz sounds like a rip-off of the "Lawrence of Arabia" theme music.

That's the third...or maybe fourth...time I've come across that comparison.

It's been so long since I've seen "Lawrence of Arabia" that I can just vaguely remember the theme music, but the whole time I was listening to this Coney Island Waltz, I was thinking it sounded like something I've heard before.

Seriously. Listen to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBFRfYiDNE#t=0m36s

Cape Twirl of Doom

Posts : 103
Join date : 2009-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  EarlFan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Paula74 wrote:From my experience, most of this supposed need for a fulfilling resolution came about after the gaudy bodice-ripper movie

It feels to me like the sequel is something for the movie fans, but not the "real" fans of the stage show. To me, the ending in the stage show tells us that the Phantom dies. I felt that this was that happened even the first time I saw it, by that time I had never read the book or even heard about The Phantom of The Opera. I hated the ending in the movie because there we were told that the Phantom was still alive.

Saying anything about the ending being boring is just ridiculous!

EarlFan

Posts : 278
Join date : 2009-09-21
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  EarlFan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Cape Twirl of Doom wrote:
Paula74 wrote:
Cape Twirl of Doom wrote:The Coney Island Waltz sounds like a rip-off of the "Lawrence of Arabia" theme music.

That's the third...or maybe fourth...time I've come across that comparison.

It's been so long since I've seen "Lawrence of Arabia" that I can just vaguely remember the theme music, but the whole time I was listening to this Coney Island Waltz, I was thinking it sounded like something I've heard before.

Seriously. Listen to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBFRfYiDNE#t=0m36s

They really do sound alike

EarlFan

Posts : 278
Join date : 2009-09-21
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:20 pm

EarlFan wrote:
Paula74 wrote:From my experience, most of this supposed need for a fulfilling resolution came about after the gaudy bodice-ripper movie

It feels to me like the sequel is something for the movie fans, but not the "real" fans of the stage show. To me, the ending in the stage show tells us that the Phantom dies. I felt that this was that happened even the first time I saw it, by that time I had never read the book or even heard about The Phantom of The Opera. I hated the ending in the movie because there we were told that the Phantom was still alive.

Saying anything about the ending being boring is just ridiculous!

Why does everything need to have a sweet, shiny, perfect Disney happy ending? Not to mention, Phantom has a happy ending...for Christine and Raoul, that is. Just because The Phantom is the more popular and, despite his misdeeds, generally more sympathetic character doesn't mean he has to "get the girl and ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.

I love the finality of the stage ending...the sad irony that, in the end, there is nothing left but his mask.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  HDKingsbury on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Things I keep reminding myself:

1. The Phantom is not some hawt, smexy stud muffin. He's ugly, deformed and more than a little crazy at times.

2. There's something to be said for the redemption of the title character at the end of a show, that he grows up enough to understand that you can't force somebody to love you.

IMO, Leroux's Phantom is still the best. After all, he is THE original. All these others are pale imitations. Ever since Leroux created his classic character, people have been softening his looks. From Claude Rains to ALW, the Phantom for the most part just keeps getting better and better looking. What does that say about us? That we cannot accept a lead character who is ugly?

*mumbles to herself and walks away*

HDKingsbury

Posts : 128
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 116
Location : Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  operafantomet on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Paula74 wrote:
HDKingsbury wrote:
Did anyone else see this? That Andy says the original ending is boring? WTF?? (I bolded that sentence above; it wasn't that way in the original.)

I did see that and I'm going to quote what I just said over at the other board...

That comment is just so ridiculously out-of-touch.

People haven't spent the past two decades a-bitchin' and a-moanin' that the ending of the stage show was unsatisfying. Every time I've seen it, people have been in tears and saying, "OMG that was beautiful." From my experience, most of this supposed need for a fulfilling resolution came about after the gaudy bodice-ripper movie...which isn't too surprising given how all those little extras like the smashing of mirrors and the rose-and-ring on the grave muddle up the ending needlessly and the movie, on the whole, is unsatisfying...like a pretty dessert that's all sugar and food-coloring, but not real substance.
To me, that has been the strength of POTO... That we're left with the feeling of wonder, of relief, of sadness, of puzzlement. I love to watch who people cry their eyes out and wander out of the theatre with the feeling of having seen something huge, something marvelous. And I honestly think the ending is part of this feeling, that the tragic love could never be (tragic love is the fundament of the great love stories, after all). The longing for a happier ending doesn't necessarily mean people WANT a happy (or different), but it makes the mind take flights and it makes the story stick with people.

Maybe it's just me. But that HAS been part of the magic to me. I never wished for a sequel. And now that we're about to get one, I'm surprised it's of such mediocre standards as presented today. I was bored. Bored - by Phantom! silent
[/quote]

operafantomet

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 37
Location : Norway

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Phantomlove on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:39 pm

I thought the "Ugly Bastard 2" bit was the best part of the whole launch. Yes the Phantom is the Ugly Bastard and that's one big reason to love him lol! .

Phantomlove

Posts : 221
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  SenorSwanky on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Christine's Shadow wrote:does anyone else notice how ALW is shaking like a leaf? It's like he sensed our posts before they happened and he was just waiting for us all to storm in and shove his head up a french horn bell.
He's always like that in public.

That song Ramin sang was absolutely terrible. No memorable melody and absolutely insipid lyrics that turn the Phantom into a pining young emo goth. God, this whole thing is beyond belief.

SenorSwanky

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2009-09-25
Age : 31
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Phantomlove on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:47 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Paula74 wrote:
HDKingsbury wrote:
Did anyone else see this? That Andy says the original ending is boring? WTF?? (I bolded that sentence above; it wasn't that way in the original.)

I did see that and I'm going to quote what I just said over at the other board...

That comment is just so ridiculously out-of-touch.

People haven't spent the past two decades a-bitchin' and a-moanin' that the ending of the stage show was unsatisfying. Every time I've seen it, people have been in tears and saying, "OMG that was beautiful." From my experience, most of this supposed need for a fulfilling resolution came about after the gaudy bodice-ripper movie...which isn't too surprising given how all those little extras like the smashing of mirrors and the rose-and-ring on the grave muddle up the ending needlessly and the movie, on the whole, is unsatisfying...like a pretty dessert that's all sugar and food-coloring, but not real substance.
To me, that has been the strength of POTO... That we're left with the feeling of wonder, of relief, of sadness, of puzzlement. I love to watch who people cry their eyes out and wander out of the theatre with the feeling of having seen something huge, something marvelous. And I honestly think the ending is part of this feeling, that the tragic love could never be (tragic love is the fundament of the great love stories, after all). The longing for a happier ending doesn't necessarily mean people WANT a happy (or different), but it makes the mind take flights and it makes the story stick with people.

Maybe it's just me. But that HAS been part of the magic to me. I never wished for a sequel. And now that we're about to get one, I'm surprised it's of such mediocre standards as presented today. I was bored. Bored - by Phantom! silent
[/quote]

Actually, I can't imagine anything but that ALW tried a bad joke really with his "unsatosfactory ending" part. He can't be so stupid that he doesn't understand that the ending is a huge part of the show's success. Still, the man is very good at twisting everything around to serve the marketing purpose it can serve at that particular moment. "The Phantom needs to be a rock singer" is one example of this. It was really ridiculous that ALW went on and on about the need for having a rock singer in the title role when the film was launch, despite the fact that he booted the rock singer he had hired for the original stage show 18 years earlier and didn't quite go on that route with the majority of the Phantoms hired after MC either. I think this is the same stupid thing. You can't really trust what that man says.

I listened to the Ramin song again and thought it was even worse than the first time. Bad lyrics, boring melody and completely out of character. Yes, what we got today was mediocre.

Phantomlove

Posts : 221
Join date : 2009-09-22
Location : Sweden

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:30 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum