Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Paula74 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:13 pm

The first pictures are here...uploading them right this moment.

ETA Here you go...what, no Raoul? Rolling Eyes

Paula74

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Amyable_Nature on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 pm

I have to say, Christine looks stunning. But I don't like how they toned down the bare side of the Phantom's face. No eyebrow make-up? I just think he looks better in the original. It's hard to tell in the last picture, but it appears the deformity from his lower lip relocated to the upper lip Suspect The vaudeville girls make me think Gypsy. She can uh... She can uh...She can uh...uh...uh...

Hold up...why is Queequeg in this show? Did I miss something?

Amyable_Nature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Amyable_Nature wrote:I have to say, Christine looks stunning.

I like that necklace that Phanty's apparently giving her ("See, I can buy you more expensive jewels that that drunk bum you married...")

The vaudeville girls make me think Gypsy. She can uh... She can uh...She can uh...uh...uh...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ramin looks far too young. I don't mind younger actors in roles as long as the make-up ages them appropriate to the story. Fail.

Overall, there's nothing in the photos that really makes me say, "Wow...I loves it!!!"

Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  Amyable_Nature on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Christine is officially a gold digger. One could argue that she left with Raoul in the end because he was loaded. But now, he's the other kind of loaded. He lost all their money, Phantom shows up with bling, ta da! She has a change of heart. Gag.

Actually, we've seen that same exact pose (with the necklace) before. Moulin Rouge and Titanic. In both those cases, the heroine doesn't fall for the pretty, shiny diamonds and we applaud her for it. But what's up with this, now? What gives?

Amyable_Nature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for the pics.

Strong Gerry vibes on Ramin. He looks far too young and beauuutifuuuuuul. Much too clean sort of. I like the messy make up on the Phantom's good side in the original. It makes him look a lot more interesting. I guess the tailcoat is nice though.

I hate the necklace. Did the Phantom loose all sense of his good taste when he bought that vulgar monstrosity for Christine? There is such lovely art nouveau jewelry. Fail on the designers part.

I kinda like the vaudeville girls' costumes, just because I like fantasy costumes like that.

The balcony set or whatever it is looks really plastic and cheap.

The rest, not very interesting.

Phantomlove

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Ramin not only looks too young, he just looks too normal, mask and deformity notwithstanding. Very handsome, but too darned normal.

For some reason, I keep thinking he's singing, "The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water-spout..."

Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Amyable_Nature wrote:
Actually, we've seen that same exact pose (with the necklace) before. Moulin Rouge and Titanic. In both those cases, the heroine doesn't fall for the pretty, shiny diamonds and we applaud her for it. But what's up with this, now? What gives?

Ramin totally looks like he should be whispering "Let Zidler keep his fairytale ending" in that first shot... Laughing

I actually would think the necklace thing looked cool if it was meant to be a seductive gesture with sinister, possessive overtones (actually, it's something I could see a more in-character version of Erik doing). But since we're apparently supposed to be rooting for these two and their great love, it ends up making the Phantom look vulgar and Christine look materialistic.

The Phantom and Christine are also wearing what look like slightly-snazzed up versions of their classic MotN outfits--proving once again that this so-called "stand-alone" piece can't go five minutes without trying to evoke memories of its vastly superior predecessor.

As others have pointed out, Ramin looks way, WAY too young--as in, "did he have that kid when he was fourteen?" young--and nowhere near mysterious enough. In the balcony shots he comes off more as an ordinary bloke who went to a costume party dressed as the Phantom and is trying to ask a girl he met there out for coffee.

I suppose the best thing that can be said is that I don't hate the visual element--at least, it doesn't automatically repulse me in the way some of the movie designs did. But with a clusterf--- of a story, indifferent music, and appalling lyrics, I just can't be excited about them.

~LCD

Last edited by LadyCDaae on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

LadyCDaae

View user profile http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Very heavy looking mask though, reminds me of the german ones mixed in with the aussie/world tour ones, particularly Rob Guest's one

justin-from-barbados

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm

operafantomet wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:I still haven't listened to any of the new show other than the title song and Til I Hear You Sing, and I don't have much interest in doing so.
I thought I was the only one. I just don't have the desire to listen to the CD. I wish I had, but... no.

Same here. I may listen to it once through just so I can know what I'm talking about if I feel like getting into any debates about the finished show/score/lyrics... but that's pretty much the only reason why I'd bother, and so I definitely don't intend to spend a penny on it. Maybe I can start taking bets on how long it will remain on my computer/iPod before I send it to the great database in the sky permanently. Laughing

And yeah, I agree the necklace (pretty as it is) makes Christine look super-materialistic. For some reason, the word "bling" comes to mind when I think of Ramin!Sequel-Phantom now. Fo' shizzle, mah soprano! Wink

IamErik771

View user profile http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Wow, thats it. I was expecting something a little more stunning, after what I have heard about the costumes being good. This looks to me like the costume department didn't even try at all. Ramin look WAY WAY to young, i guess five year olds can get women pregnant now. Evil or Very Mad

phantom10906

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Paula74 wrote:
Barbie and Ken strikes again... Or is it from Madame Tussaud?

In general, the costumes seems to want to echo Maria Bjørnson's design. I agree that the Phantom's mask reminds of the Aussie ones, very round in shape and very white. Not negative, though the Aussie masks has never been my favourite. But what surprise me is that I had expected a more imaginative design, taking advantage of the fantastic details one usually find in turn-of-the-century and art nouveau dresses. Two examples:

Two day dresses from the early 20th century, from the Kyoto Costume Institute in Japan

I had expected more. This is really average and, for a stand-alone piece, also too dependent existing design (in terms of the costumes, not the sets). Compare to the Hungarian production (which also leans towards Bjørnson's design in terms of ideas and colour schemes) - the finished look might not be my favourite, but the design ideas are a lot more creative than this. Bob Crowley, you can do better. A LOT better.

operafantomet

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 pm

I found a Raoul picture on Broadway world at this link somewhere: http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumnpics.cfm?colid=108769&photoid=91846 (I think this links directly to a picture of Ramin and Sierra however) Reminds me of the situation with the current London website where there are NO pictures of Raoul at all.

starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

When the show closes, I am *so raiding* the skip. THAT WHITE DRESS IS MINE. That's the only thing that I want from this production. That dress is so beautiful and so is her hairstyle.

Look at that, there is *one* thing I actually liked from this stupid show.

ML6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:22 pm

The white dress reminds me of the Dressing Gown from the original. I might have to fight you for it...

starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  silverfern on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Good to see some production photos... still for me the Phantom looks way too young. I thought 10 years or something like that has passed since the original, yet the Phantom looks younger, not older, than in the original and even compared to the movie Phantom. I do see similarities to the movie Phantom, but even younger? Why? Can't they make someone of Ramin's age appear older?

It's like a younger, airbrushed version of the Phantom, so while the Phantom has a disfigured face, how strange that the "good" side gets more and more refined. LOL! I have to say one of those pictures for me looks more like a old fashioned Hollywood romance movie than a Phantom stage show.

silverfern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Especially when you consider The Phantom just round the corner looks like this:

ETA: I also find it ironic that the night I will be seeing the sequel *shudder* The Phantom understudy in the original will be on and is nearly 20 years older than Ramin...

starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Glad he does, though. I've never wanted the Phantom to be a young hunk. And I think Michael Crawford set the standard just fine. I don't find a young Phantom per se, but I think few manage to pull it off convincingly. Heck, I even thought Karimloo appeared too young in the original...

Might be wishful thinking, but can it be that the photos are rehearsal shots and that Ramin Karimloo's makeup will be more elaborate and age-adding than what we see in those photos?

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Perhaps you are right. They are dated from today and definitely appeared too early to have been taken at the show as Wednesday matinees haven't commenced yet. But it seems odd that everyone else would be made up and not The Phantom?

Actually just had a thought there was a curtain call style picture somewhere... which would make you think it was taken from a show. Oh I don't know. Ha.

starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

operafantomet wrote:I don't find a young Phantom per se (...)
I did of course mean MIND, not find...

But surely they must see that Ramin Karimloo looks like he's in his 20s in his LND role? It's just so... weird. I X my fingers and hope it's one of those preview glitches that will be fixed.

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  HDKingsbury on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Is it just me, or does Meg look like a Vegas show girl?

HDKingsbury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 pm

HDKingsbury wrote:Is it just me, or does Meg look like a Vegas show girl?

My first thought when I saw the costume sketch for Meg's outfit was the infamously bad movie Showgirls.

The reality of the photo doesn't do much to lessen that impression.

Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 am

Between the necklace thing and Meg's costume, I now have a burning desire to re-watch Moulin Rouge.

...Actually, I think the costumes in MR were classier than Meg's outfit.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 am

dolly-ry wrote:The white dress reminds me of the Dressing Gown from the original. I might have to fight you for it...

Well, how about this: I'm sure there will be duplicates. Shall we both have one?

ML6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 am

ML6 wrote:
dolly-ry wrote:The white dress reminds me of the Dressing Gown from the original. I might have to fight you for it...

Well, how about this: I'm sure there will be duplicates. Shall we both have one?

Good idea! I do actually really like it the more I look at it.

starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 am

dolly-ry wrote:
ML6 wrote:

Good idea! I do actually really like it the more I look at it.

I know, right?! It's so Victorian/Edwardian. I've seen better styled costumes with that design, but coming from this? Yeah, its the only thing I like.

We should also pick up the wig she wears during that scene, too.

ML6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 am

Christine's costume looks pretty good, but definitely reminiscent of her original dressing gown. The sets don't impress me at all, basing this off of the couple of full cast shots we have. They just look like typical sets to me. Flashy, shiny, and bright, yes, but nothing interesting to think about, really. Don't care for Ramin's look at all. The mask looks cheap, and I agree, he looks like some guy off the street who slapped on a Phantom costume. (a young guy, at that Wink ). And Meg... I'm sorry, but I don't really buy that her character essentially turns into a gold digging, murderous "oh la la" thing; this innocent dancer who had such great concern for her friend would now kill her because they guy she's after is more interested in her friend.

Becky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:46 am

*peruses the photos*

I think my biggest problem is that everything is so brightly lit and so plastic-looking that it seems like a much cheaper production than it actually is. It honestly looks like a mediocre reagional/college show. The costume designs are, frankly, generally quite boring (most seem like stock rentals) - or overly garish, and as others have said, the costume ripoffs of the original show abound.

Ramin looks... I've seen better cosplay Phantoms. The fact that he has practically no makeup on his unmasked side is really distracting, in a way. He also looks very very young, not convincing at all as ten years-aged from the original.

Sierra looks pretty good, but I agree the conferring of the necklace looks more like an outlandish bribe than a gesture of love. The Phantom's ring in the first show was a much more meaningful gift than this gaudy monstrosity.

Very disappointing. I was at least holding out that the production design would be interesting but that doesn't seem to be the case. Pleh.

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:21 am

Sierra looks absolutely stunning!

...and that's the only positive thing I can say about these photos.

Is this for real?? This looks like a couple of 20-somethings doing a stock photoshoot for DeviantArt.

phantomgirl110

View user profile http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 am

I know, right? And they look pretty casual for two people who shared a passionate, tempestuous relationship: "Hey Christine, long time no see! So, what are you up to these days...?"

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 am

phantomgirl110 wrote:
Is this for real?? This looks like a couple of 20-somethings doing a stock photoshoot for DeviantArt.

Hey now, I know 20-somethings who do way better Phantom stock photoshoots than this. Wink

http://fantomeangel.deviantart.com/art/ALW-Phantom-Budget-Cape-6-67894355

I rest my case.

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top