Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Helen on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 pm

carlottawannabe wrote:Ok, I was at the launch today and thought the whole thing was just brilliant! I am sick to death of all your negetive comments in this thread about Love Never dies. I was there and loved the song, as did my fellow "phans" that were lucky to have been there. I really don not agree with ANYTHING you people say on here and have had enough...I hope that Love never dies does really well (ive heard already that most seats are already gone) and runs for a long time so it will shut the lot of you up and prove you wrong...Some of your comments are just wrong and just rude...Im sick of it and will not be posting in any Phantom forums ever again now...goodbye..you have just lost yourself a forum member...I really dont think any of you are true "fans" of the show...

Pleased you enjoyed the launch, hope you enjoy the show when you see it. I think everyone on here is a true fan of the original show, otherwise they won't be on here. It's just that everyone has their own opinions on the sequel. I've been out all day, so I'm catching up on all the stuff that's happened today. I thought the song that Ramin sang was nice, and I liked the waltz, but not a patch on the songs from the original show. I wonder what the rest of the score is like. Was the casting of Raoul and Madame Giry announced today, or was it just Christine and Phantom? Thing is, all the talk of the sequel hasn't made me want to see it, it's made me want to phone up Her Majesty's box office to book a ticket to see the original!

Another thing that's crossed my mind. How on earth did the Phantom, Madame Giry and Meg all end up in America?

Helen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 pm

operafantomet wrote:I thought Christine had curly hair? Laughing
Maybe if the lock of hair was *too* curly, people would assume it wasn't from her head.

Did the forum have our first big drama? I'll have to read up on all the pages of replies I missed out on today...

R.

Raphael

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:22 pm

Helen wrote:Was the casting of Raoul and Madame Giry announced today, or was it just Christine and Phantom?
Just Ramin and Sierra. Nothing was really revealed, news-wise, since we already knew about them. The video slideshow was nicely done, but that's just for show.

Raphael wrote:Maybe if the lock of hair was *too* curly, people would assume it wasn't from her head.
Laughing In ALW's more sexualized version of the characters implied in recent decisions on the movie, sequel, etc., that might be appropriate.

SenorSwanky

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Okay, so I finally watched/listened to the press launch. Just a few thoughts, my opinion, of course:

- I love “Till I Hear You Sing Once More”. I thought Ramin’s rendition was beautiful and moving.
- I quite like the Coney Island Waltz as well. I somehow hear similarities to the Woman in White score though, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

However:
- I still think Phantom didn’t need a sequel in the first place. To me, the whole beauty of the story lies in the “open end”.
- My biggest fear is that LND might prompt the end of POTO’s run affraid
- And I don’t like the LND logo… The automaton in the background is creepy and the font just doesn’t look “phantomy” enough… sorry, can’t explain it better.

Still:
I’m keeping an open mind about it and will definitely be making arrangements next year to book a holiday in London so that I can see the show… And even if I end up liking LND, I will always consider myself first and foremost a true fan of the original I love you

So there’s my two cents.

Miss von Krolock

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomJT on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:51 pm

carlottawannabe wrote:Ok, I was at the launch today and thought the whole thing was just brilliant! I am sick to death of all your negetive comments in this thread about Love Never dies. I was there and loved the song, as did my fellow "phans" that were lucky to have been there. I really don not agree with ANYTHING you people say on here and have had enough...I hope that Love never dies does really well (ive heard already that most seats are already gone) and runs for a long time so it will shut the lot of you up and prove you wrong...Some of your comments are just wrong and just rude...Im sick of it and will not be posting in any Phantom forums ever again now...goodbye..you have just lost yourself a forum member...I really dont think any of you are true "fans" of the show...

As my first day back to the new forum I must admit, I miss the drama! LOL! This post was great! Certainly brightened my day. Thanks Carlottawannaba! Very Happy It really helps me put things in perspective.

I wont beat the dead horse as I see many of you have already openly commented on this post...but I do thank you all for making me a feel a little better (stayed home from work sick today).

~PhantomJT~
p.s. I dislike the sequel idea, cant remember any lyrics or melody from the song Ramin sang, think he looked too young for the role (if it's supposed to happen 10 yrs later), and Webber's attempt at stand up comedy flat lined during the press release. I was really waiting for the rotten tomatoes to be tossed at him.

PhantomJT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiephan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:15 am

Onto slightly different LND topic ........with the updated website, found it strange what was suppose to be the concept album that was finished in September - 6 months before the show starts, now looks like being the cast album being released the day after opening night. It's like ALW thinks there is going to be no changes to the score/show in rehearsal just because little change was made to the original Phantom in rehearsal. Is he now thinking the "concept album" released early would discourage ticket sales!

As to the end of Phantom, I always thought of it as being similar to Gone with the Wind, it is the ending where they part that makes the show what it is, if they ended together the show wouldn't be so memorable.....the best 15 minutes is the final lair for all the passion and tension.

Bonnie

aussiephan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 am

This could be taken as me being "moderatorish" or just being a pain in the rear. Take your pick. Wink

While we all have the right to our own opinions and to express them...I can certainly understand feeling upset if I'd been one of those excited to have been selected to go to this special event and then come back here to share that experience only to have their thunder stolen by the flood of negative comments before they had a chance to say a word. Not that a now "former member" (who is still listed on the membership list) expressed that frustration in a very tactful/proper way though. It's not like anyone was actually personally attacking her with their comments before she posted. I don't excuse her comments but I still can understand her frustration.

Carlottawannabe, if you do leave after today it's really too bad. You only hurt yourself in the end. Maybe the majority here aren't excited with the sequel while you are happy about the show. But we really are all fans of Phantom whether it's the original novel, Kay, Lloyd Webber, or whatever. There are no qualifications for what makes a "true fan/phan". I don't like much about the 2004 movie but that doesn't make me any less of a fan than someone that thinks the movie rocks and that Gerard Butler is the greatest thing to have ever happened in the history of Phantom. I don't care for it but can appreciate and respect that others do enjoy the movie and Butler as the Phantom. I LOVE the Vegas version of Phantom and as awesome as I think it is, I acknowledge that others(yes they exist) who think it's horrible and "blasphemy" to the original. I don't agree with them but I respect their right to that opinion. I've even heard some fans say that while they love the musical and idea of Phantom, they hated the actual Leroux novel. I can't quite wrap my mind around that one but still that's their opinion and they're welcome to it. Smile

Now my own thoughts on what I heard today....
I'm one of those who is not in love with the thought of a sequel, especially with what's known of the plot(that automaton is seriously scaring me)so far. I don't think there needs to be a sequel but at the same time how many of us have come up with fan fics that continue with the story? I know I have and am not the only one. lol

I don't like that logo or even the "Phantom" font used. That clown in the clipping freaks me out. Please may he not show up in the musical...I hate clowns. clown However I did actually like the music I heard today even though the waltz did remind me of Lawrence of Arabia and Woman in White(I see I'm not the only one) and yes, some of the music was repetitive. On the flip side if you look at the original Phantom there are parts in it that sound VERY similar to some other composer's melodies(there's a post on POL about it). I've also heard theatre folks in the past comment on the original that while it has nice music, it seems like it's the same few Lloyd Webber melodies repeating throughout the show.

I'm not crazy on Ramin in this show(so far) but I was never a fan of his portrayal as the Phantom in the original version. He's a good performer but his voice just isn't to my liking as I prefer a more mature sounding voice, especially if this is supposed to take place roughly ten years later. Maybe I'll eat those words as time goes on.

I always thought in Vegas that Sierra looked like a super young Christine and looked great as the young Ariel, but today I actually thought she could pull off looking to be a believable age for the new version (I get the idea that she was taking the place of the automaton for the press conference though).

Will it be as good as the original? My mind says a BIG no but in reality I'm not going to totally write off the whole thing yet after just hearing two songs. Smile While most of me isn't for LND, I guess I haven't totally crossed the bridge yet one way or another.

There's a YouTube page for Love Never Dies with Q&A with Lloyd Webber. I thought there were at least a few interesting comments he makes in it. He talks about Maria Bjornson in the end and says the show is dedicated to her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm99m3ghMyY

Last edited by MasqPhan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

MasqPhan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:18 am

It is with some alarm that I've just skimmed over the last few pages of this thread.

I understand why operafantomet may have felt the need to create the new 'sequel fans' thread, but I just want to say here that I find it incredibly sad that decisions like those are felt to be necessary and if it were up to me I wouldn't have created two separate threads in the hope of avoiding the fostering of division in the fan community. One would have thought that there would be enough maturity and respect on both sides re: the sequel for this not to happen, especially since the demographic here is hardly comprised of the stereotypical 12-year-old "passing interest/easily offended" Middle America fangirls that the 2004 film attracted back in the day.

I wholeheartedly agree with the first half of Masqphan's post. There is not a single version of The Phantom of the Opera -- book, film, stage production or otherwise -- that I have yet encountered that everybody unanimously adores or loathes. And if there were, discussion boards such as these might be pretty boring places.

That something that is, at the end of the day, pretty trivial can lead to the loss of a forum member saddens me but also astounds me.

The divisions the 2004 film created did enough damage I felt to the online Phantom fan community and I am not personally prepared to go through that ordeal again for the sake of what is not that big a deal. So for that reason, I will sum up with my current thoughts (quite like the waltz but it is a bit too reminiscent of previous ALW scores, find the ballad Ramin sings boring and nondescript but am greatly enjoying the hype surrounding the show today and the fact that Phantom is attracting the world's attention as a result of this), state that I will be attending the very first preview on 20th February (and possibly the second preview, but I'm more likely to want to get rid of the tickets, especially since they're so expensive) and call it a day with sequel discussion for good (or at least until this ceases to be a life-or-death matter that it bizarrely seems to have become). Why bother making what's supposed to be a hobby a torment? Enough conflict to deal with in real life. Don't have the patience to endure it in leisure time.

(One thing though: who wrote "POTO Birthday 9/10/2009" on a sheet of A4 paper and left it on the ground outside the stage door of Her Majesty's today? Any of you lot?).

(And a P.P.S. - aussiephan, my understanding is that concept album was scrapped).

Scorp

View user profile http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Kanye West with Webber

Post  PhantomJT on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:28 am

I'm sorry - but I needed to post this.

LOL!

Many Thanks Crys
~PhantomJT~

PhantomJT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:35 am

PhantomJT wrote:I'm sorry - but I needed to post this.

LOL!

Many Thanks Crys
~PhantomJT~

Maybe I'm a nerd but I found this ridiculously funny. I couldn't stop laughing! Srlsy!

Laughing

~Rebecca

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelofMusic on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:42 am

PhantomJT wrote:I'm sorry - but I needed to post this.

LOL!

Many Thanks Crys
~PhantomJT~
LOL! Thanks for showing that! That made me laugh so much!
Also, I wish they didn't cast Sierra as Christine. Sorry to people who like her. But , I didn't like her portrayal as Christine. She looked the part but there was something about her voice I didn't like as Christine. I loved her as Ariel but not as Christine.

AngelofMusic

View user profile http://thinkofmephan.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:12 am

Bahaha! Love that! I wish Kanye had interrupted Andrew today. Would have made my day.

SenorSwanky

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:59 am

The music sounds ok. Nothing fantastic, just ok. It has none of the spark of the original. I do not think the show needs a sequel as some of you have said. Although I am going to reserve ultimate judgment till i see this.

Just my two cents. Very Happy

phantom10906

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:34 am

To those who wondered why I keep writing Bram Stoker's Dracula "Love Never Dies".... Here's why:

An epic movie released in November 1992. The tagline used in promo stuff: "Love Never Dies". Whaddayaknow.

Luckilly ALW will now have translated titles available: "L'amore non muore mai". "Liebe stirbt nie". "L'amour est éternel". (OK, the latter means "Love is eternal", but was used in the French Dracula poster)

operafantomet

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:47 am

Re Sierra
MasqPhan wrote:(I get the idea that she was taking the place of the automaton for the press conference though).
That's exactly what I thought as well! I mean, she's like just sitting there... We'll see Rolling Eyes

Miss von Krolock

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  TGITPC on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:16 am

operafantomet wrote:

An epic movie released in November 1992. The tagline used in promo stuff: "Love Never Dies". Whaddayaknow.

I literally just saw that movie/cover yesterday. I picked up the box very casually and then threw it as if it were a snake when I read the words. My family thought I was insane.

Anyway, in regards to the film posted the other day, since I have yet to touch on this subject, I was very disapointed. I'm not saying this because I'm opposed to the sequel because I've always known ALW to at least pull off the music part of his creations. Unfortunatly, I think that he may be seasoned past his prime.

The Waltz was in interesting and it kept me interested until the cheesey scream at the end. Oh, and the clown! I was like "NOOO!!! POM!!! You lie Andy!" Again, my family thought I was insane.

As for Til I Hear Your Voice Once More, I was bitterly disapointed. It's not that Ramin didn't sing it well, but that's all there was. Certainly, it wasn't as good as MOTN, but the entire song did nothing for me. It didn't give me the shivers and goosebumps that I wanted and it really didn't make me feel anything. I found this to be quite sad indeed because throughout this entire sequel time, I was hoping that at least the Phantom's song would be good. Of course nothing is really comparable to MOTN, but I didn't even feel like the Phantom was singing it.

TGITPC

View user profile http://thatgirlinthephantomcostume.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:26 am

I have to say, I'd be much more hopeful about this show if it wasn't connected in any way to The Phantom of the Opera. It has pretty (albeit ordinary) music, an intriguing and sure-to-be-visually-interesting setting, theoretically interesting characters, and ye olde unrequited love story. It's the kind of thing I'd really go for normally. But when such a thing is the continuation of a story that has absolutely no need of a continuation - a story that's harmed by a continuation, in fact, as this sequel negates the Phantom's single moment of true compassion and character development in the original show - it just makes me angry. I'll wait to see and hear more before I make any judgements about the quality of the production, but I don't need to see or hear a thing to say with absolute certainty that the very existance of this sequel completely destroys what is arguably the most integral part of the original show.

On a far less serious note, I'm bummed that I wasn't the first to point out the Coney Island Waltz's similarity to the theme from Lawrence of Arabia. I had that thought the first time I heard it, but resisted saying anything about it out of fear that musical elitests would jump on me for comparing something from Love Never Dies to one of the greatest movie scores of all time. And now, because I was wussy, I got no attention for making the comparison first. (And getting attention for pointing out something so unimportant and forgetable as that is clearly the spice of life.)

Anyway. Is Christine going to end up with Erik at the end of this show? I haven't read Phantom of Manhattan - I will someday, when I find it free somewhere or a dead relative leaves it to me in their will or something - so I don't know how the source material/inspiration ends, but everything else about LND's plot sounds like your average phanfic drivel so that seems a natural choice for the end. And if that happens... Evil or Very Mad

phantomgirl110

View user profile http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:48 am

phantomgirl110 wrote:Anyway. Is Christine going to end up with Erik at the end of this show? I haven't read Phantom of Manhattan - I will someday, when I find it free somewhere or a dead relative leaves it to me in their will or something - so I don't know how the source material/inspiration ends, but everything else about LND's plot sounds like your average phanfic drivel so that seems a natural choice for the end. And if that happens... Evil or Very Mad
OK, spoiler - highlight if you wanna read:

In PoM Christine and Erik meets secretly in a park . This is the big drama of the book. Christine tells him that what they had together is in the past, and that he needs to let go. He tells her that "No prob, we have a lovely son together" (or to quote Forsyte's Erik: "But now I accept. The wound is cauterized at last. There is another love, My son. Our son.". But Erik's servant Darius is creeping in the shadows, he wants to be Erik's other love... errr, I mean son.... heir. So he decides to shoot little Pierre (son), who also happens to be in the park. Christine throws herself over the son, and is shot instead. Little Pierre is scared and seeks comfort. He first cries "Mama!", then "Papa!" (whaddayaknow, Raoul is also in the park). And let me quote:

"She spoke for the last time, quite clearly, before that divine voice was silenced forever. She said: "Pierre, this is not really Papa. He has brought you up as his own, but your true father is there". She nodded towards the bowed figure in the mask. "I am sorry, my darling". Then she died. I will not make a big production out of it. She just died."

Raoul lets the little boy decide who he wants to stay with, Erik in America or himself in France. The boy of course chose the stranger in the mask. Raoul carries Christine's body back to France and buries here there. Happy ending.

Not sure this is the ending of LSD LND, as it claims to not be based on PoM (despite the re-use of the Phantom moving to America and starting a fun fair). But I always saw PoM as ALW's dictation/thoughts of how the sequel should be set in system, and not really Forsyte's work, so I would not be surprised if the end is about the Phantom and his son, with Christine and Raoul as less important characters.

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:09 am

operafantomet wrote:OK, spoiler - highlight if you wanna read:

In PoM Christine and Erik meets secretly in a park . This is the big drama of the book. Christine tells him that what they had together is in the past, and that he needs to let go. He tells her that "No prob, we have a lovely son together" (or to quote Forsyte's Erik: "But now I accept. The wound is cauterized at last. There is another love, My son. Our son.". But Erik's servant Darius is creeping in the shadows, he wants to be Erik's other love... errr, I mean son.... heir. So he decides to shoot little Pierre (son), who also happens to be in the park. Christine throws herself over the son, and is shot instead. Little Pierre is scared and seeks comfort. He first cries "Mama!", then "Papa!" (whaddayaknow, Raoul is also in the park). And let me quote:

"She spoke for the last time, quite clearly, before that divine voice was silenced forever. She said: "Pierre, this is not really Papa. He has brought you up as his own, but your true father is there". She nodded towards the bowed figure in the mask. "I am sorry, my darling". Then she died. I will not make a big production out of it. She just died."

Raoul lets the little boy decide who he wants to stay with, Erik in America or himself in France. The boy of course chose the stranger in the mask. Raoul carries Christine's body back to France and buries here there. Happy ending.

Right then.

Imogen Lloyd Webber (author/Andrew's daughter) and Kyle Barisich (POTO ensemble/Raoul) are going to be on the entertainment hour of Fox's live web show, The Strategy Room, at noon ET today to discuss Love Never Dies. No idea if it'll be worth watching since I've never watched it before - I only know about it because I stalk Kyle's Twitter -but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to give it a try.

phantomgirl110

View user profile http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:37 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Bahaha! Love that! I wish Kanye had interrupted Andrew today. Would have made my day.

I was seriously hoping for a Kanye interruption. Or at least a falling Hannibal backdrop. Smile

TGITPC wrote:
As for Til I Hear Your Voice Once More, I was bitterly disapointed. It's not that Ramin didn't sing it well, but that's all there was. Certainly, it wasn't as good as MOTN, but the entire song did nothing for me. It didn't give me the shivers and goosebumps that I wanted and it really didn't make me feel anything. I found this to be quite sad indeed because throughout this entire sequel time, I was hoping that at least the Phantom's song would be good. Of course nothing is really comparable to MOTN, but I didn't even feel like the Phantom was singing it.

I'm not saying that the song is flat-out BAD. The tune is nice, even if the lyrics are far too stilted. But I've heard worse.

MOTN isn't even my OMG FAVORITE song from Phantom (I love it, just not the most), but any sort of big solo that The Phantom has in the sequel needs to hold up to MOTN favorably because of what an iconic part of the original show it is. I'm hoping there's some better songs in there because this one just didn't WOW me the way it really needed to.

I was also hoping the press event would announce things we didn't really already know...like additional casting or something exciting.

As for POM...I've said it before, but the only thing I liked about that book was the cover art.

Reidel has a less-than-kind piece today...though I generally don't like him and don't agree with his comments about Ramin. I do like what I've see of Ramin as The Phantom...just not the dull little song he performed yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/cash_flows_to_phantom_9bunGb3GGpGNjJC6BzznKJ

Paula74

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:39 pm

I think the show could work as a true stand alone. If it was set in Coney Island and had some dark twists and some interesting characters, it could probably work. But it should have its own characters, not taking characters from a previous show and twist them around. And of course, as many have pointed out, the original show has absolutely no need for a continuation.

Phantomlove

View user profile http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm

Paula74 wrote:

Reidel has a less-than-kind piece today...though I generally don't like him and don't agree with his comments about Ramin. I do like what I've see of Ramin as The Phantom...just not the dull little song he performed yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/cash_flows_to_phantom_9bunGb3GGpGNjJC6BzznKJ

From the above article:
Christine will be played by Sierra Boggess, who was vapid in "The Little Mermaid" and who, I'm told, was just as vapid yesterday.

Erm, just have to be fair here in noting that, really, what could she be expected to do when her role consisted entirely of sitting and staring? Perhaps not a truly fair assessment of her performing talent...

~Rebecca

Rebecca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Rebecca wrote:
From the above article:
Christine will be played by Sierra Boggess, who was vapid in "The Little Mermaid" and who, I'm told, was just as vapid yesterday.

Erm, just have to be fair here in noting that, really, what could she be expected to do when her role consisted entirely of sitting and staring? Perhaps not a truly fair assessment of her performing talent...

~Rebecca

I do agree with you there. I didn't care for The Little Mermaid in general and I can't comment on how she was as Christine because I've never seen or heard her in that role. But I think it is a little harsh and unfair to assess her as vapid when all she had to do was just be a placeholder for a dummy! It makes me think of all the people who immediately dislike Sarah Brightman's Christine after seeing ONLY the MOTN promo video where she does absolutely nothing, but stare (and look pretty in a very 80s way).

Paula74

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Apparently we should no longer call it a sequel...

Andrew Lloyd Webber made the point himself: “I don’t regard this as a sequel, I regard it as a completely standalone piece,” he said.

Then why have they always said "Phantom: Love Never Dies. The story continues...."
If the story continues with the same characters included it should be a sequel, not a completely standalone piece.

I had hoped that we should get to hear more about the cast at the press launch. So far we've only got the Phantom, Christine and Meg. Anyone heard any more news or rumours about this?

EarlFan

View user profile http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:05 pm

EarlFan wrote:Apparently we should no longer call it a sequel...

Andrew Lloyd Webber made the point himself: “I don’t regard this as a sequel, I regard it as a completely standalone piece,” he said.

Then why have they always said "Phantom: Love Never Dies. The story continues...."
If the story continues with the same characters included it should be a sequel, not a completely standalone piece.
Yes, that is one tricky aspect where ALW don't seem to have made up his mind.

On the one hand, he's recycling characters and settings (by "settings", I mean the Phantom luring Christine to sing while secretly/not so secretly being attracted to her, the Phantom still has a creepy Christine doll, Raoul is still fighting for his love...), he's using Sarah Brightman in the promo collage, he's using past POTO actors in the leads, and even claims it is due to designer Maria Bjørnson that he goes on with this, as to get an "approvement" from the original team (the others has stayed far away... I don't trust him on that Bjørnson comment, but alas she is no longer with us so we'll never know).

On the other hand, he claims this to be an unique piece, not related to the past and to the existing musical, and he's composing all new music for LSD LND.

Thing is, he can't have it both ways. When he chose the "Phantom package", he must have been aware that people would expect some sort of continuation in the story already told, some sort of consistency in quality. If he wanted to create an unique piece, he would do like Josefine suggested - to create a new story and new theme, set in New York's Coney Island, with burlesque and romantic undertones, with characters he was free to form as he liked. It could be a brilliant stand-alone-musical. Instead he willingly place it in the shadows of Phantom. He's never been a guy who's liked to be told what to do and think, but by choosing Phantom he's seriously limiting himself, as he binds his creativity in a way he doesn't seem comfortable with.

From what I've heard so far, it sounds like a compromise. Generic, nice, but totally without the creativity and unique touch I somewhat expected from the score (judged on the raving comments and "ALW's best in years, for whatever that is worth).

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:30 pm

So I finally got around to checking out "Till I Hear You Sing"...meh. Nice enough melody, I suppose, but nothing really distinguishes it from every other power ballad ALW's composed in the past decade or so. MotN it definitely ain't.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

View user profile http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  InkedAlchemist on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:39 pm

I agree with the comments about this working as a strictly stand alone with little to no ties to Phantom. Something like that would most likely hold my interest. But then you have to take in to point that no ALW work has captured me SINCE Phantom. I love Evita, Cats, enjoy JCSS, and even the music from Joseph is annoyingly catchy. But nothing recent that I've heard has captured that same... essence that captured me with Phantom 20 years ago. I also wonder, had he chosen to do a prequel, it probably would have been received more openly by phans. I know I would have probably welcomed the idea with open arms instead of the permanent snide snarl that the idea provokes. And just as an example, just the overwhelming popularity of something like the Kay novel versus Forsyth's. Of course now I'm just rambling about a dream world..

I'm done now.

InkedAlchemist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 pm

EarlFan wrote:Apparently we should no longer call it a sequel...

I had hoped that we should get to hear more about the cast at the press launch. So far we've only got the Phantom, Christine and Meg. Anyone heard any more news or rumours about this?

On the LND YouTube page Webber says that after old characters of the Phantom, Christine, Meg, Madame Giry and Raoul, the only new character is Christine's son.

MasqPhan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amyable_Nature on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 pm

I hope they tinker with the lyrics a bit more. Till I Hear You Sing...sounded okay but I cringed a little at some of the words. "More than halfway...there" or something? Something halfway? I think that's what it was?

Do not want. Keep working.

ETA: My dad just walks in with the newspaper in hand and goes "Andrew Lloyd Webber is writing a new musical? A stand alone with....with that Phantom guy?!"

hahaha Made me laugh.

Amyable_Nature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 pm

operafantomet wrote:To those who wondered why I keep writing Bram Stoker's Dracula "Love Never Dies".... Here's why:

I have a soft spot for that movie. One of my film instructors was an editor on it, it's got Hopkins and Oldman, and was my first exposure to Monica Bellucci.

Back to topic. I had a listen to the audio and the new song. In a nutshell, they didn't have much of an impact on me. As everyone has said, the Coney Island Waltz is evocative of the score from "Lawrence of Arabia" -- it's sweeping and a bit epic but with some strange undercurrents, so there's not much else to comment on about that. Ramin's song is pretty enough in a generic sort of way, but it doesn't sound like something the Phantom would sing. Emo Gerik maybe, but not the original ALW Phantom.

Currently sifting through fonts for an assignment myself, I think the logotype for LND is appropriate. This isn't the Phantom of the Opera anymore, it's Coney Island in the 1900s and the font evokes a carnival atmosphere.

Ultimately, I still am against the whole concept of a sequel for many of the same reasons others have stated above. Nothing I've read or seen or heard has changed my mind.

R.

Raphael

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top