Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 31 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 31 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:33 pm

I've found with Ramin though, the more convincing his voice has become as The Phantom the more 'hit and miss' he can be about actually hitting the notes. Just my opinion of course. I've never truly found his voice suitable for the role though.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  phan101 Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 pm

starryeyed wrote:I've found with Ramin though, the more convincing his voice has become as The Phantom the more 'hit and miss' he can be about actually hitting the notes. Just my opinion of course. I've never truly found his voice suitable for the role though.

Agreed, I'm sure his singing at RAH was edited before the DVD. I personally think he is a better Raoul than Phantom.
phan101
phan101

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:07 am

phan101 wrote:
starryeyed wrote:I've found with Ramin though, the more convincing his voice has become as The Phantom the more 'hit and miss' he can be about actually hitting the notes. Just my opinion of course. I've never truly found his voice suitable for the role though.

Agreed, I'm sure his singing at RAH was edited before the DVD. I personally think he is a better Raoul than Phantom.
I third this. He was fantastic as Raoul. He still had his vocal... eeeer, instability back then, but he had such an energy and a nice voice, and he was a powerful yet caring Raoul. I remember liking him a lot. I was one of those really supporting the idea of him playing the Phantom, but when I finally heard and saw him in the role I was rather disappointed. One thing is the portrayal, which I didn't get. It mostly felt like Ramin in a mask. But vocally he is a hit-or-miss on higher notes, and this is where I think his lack of training reveals him. He has the pipes but little control over them. This can be said for other Phantoms as well, but I think Ramin not edgy/raspy enough to get away with it. He sounds like a young, untrained singer, not a worldly genius.

I don't mean to be harsh on Ramin Karimloo as such. He just ain't my type of Phantom. However, I did love his Raoul. So I don't dislike him as a performer, I just dislike him in certain roles.

Oh, and Ramin was definitely edited for the DVD. The directly screened version was apparently hacked and tapped, so a pirate version was available online just a few hours later. And what you hear of Ramin there is different from the edited, final version. But it's not as edited as the CD, thank God!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 am

phan101 wrote:

He probably was. At the Saturday performance at the RAH, his pitch was all over the place. Either he improved quite a bit for the next day's show, or he was edited.

operafantomet wrote:One thing is the portrayal, which I didn't get. It mostly felt like Ramin in a mask.

THIS. Exactly this. And it's so refreshing to read comments like these here, because anywhere else you look on the Internet and you'd think Ramin's Phantom was heaven-sent and seriously the best thing ever ever ever ever. Rolling Eyes
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:19 pm

His performance on the DVD/ CD was definitely edited. I was at the Sunday evening show and believe me he sounded nothing like how the finished product sounded. Wynne Evans was also definitely edited prior to the DVD release.

I wasn't being harsh on Ramin either, there's a lot of strengths he has but as you say Operafantomet (and Scorp) he is the one Phantom who when I've been watching the show in my head the whole time has been "that's Ramin in a mask." I've not really realised it until now but with other Phantom's, in the main, I've thought throughout the show of them as The Phantom and it is not until I am actually away from the theatre my mind goes to "Earl was a good actor/ Scott had a good voice etc, so on and so forth."

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  phan101 Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 pm

[quote="Scorp"][quote="phan101"]
starryeyed wrote: you'd think Ramin's Phantom was heaven-sent and seriously the best thing ever ever ever ever. Rolling Eyes

Well we are in the "young and sexy" era of phantoms, and we all know how much that worked in the movie... lol!
phan101
phan101

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:05 pm

There's already clips floating round of the new casts opening night and some have just gone on youtube. I know you can't really judge too much from an audio recording but i think Anna sounds brilliant i really like her voice, i can't wait to see her. Simon Thomas sounds awesome! A manly sounding Raoul if you get what i mean, like Steve Barton was a manly sounding Raoul whereas some Raoul's have a higher, younger sounding voice. And Marcus, he doesn't sound as good as he did on recordings from his Broadway run but then to be fair it is the first time he has played the role in almost 20 years. Although i didn't think he did in previous recordings he does have a bit of a rock sound to his voice as Phantom, i still think he sounds pretty good so i'm still keen to see him. So just need to see how they do on the acting side Very Happy
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  phan101 Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 pm

London-Phan wrote:There's already clips floating round of the new casts opening night and some have just gone on youtube. I know you can't really judge too much from an audio recording but i think Anna sounds brilliant i really like her voice, i can't wait to see her. Simon Thomas sounds awesome! A manly sounding Raoul if you get what i mean, like Steve Barton was a manly sounding Raoul whereas some Raoul's have a higher, younger sounding voice. And Marcus, he doesn't sound as good as he did on recordings from his Broadway run but then to be fair it is the first time he has played the role in almost 20 years. Although i didn't think he did in previous recordings he does have a bit of a rock sound to his voice as Phantom, i still think he sounds pretty good so i'm still keen to see him. So just need to see how they do on the acting side Very Happy

Its amazing how quick the phandom can get clips out Very Happy

I agree I think Anna sounds great! She does have a bit of a shaky vibrato in her 'Think of Me' but I'm sure when she gets into the role she'll be great. Her 'Wishing' sounds simply wonderful. I really like Simon too, he sounds like a great Raoul. I'm not sure about Marcus, think I need to hear a bit more to make a decision. I bet there 10x better live; I hated the recordings of Peter Joback, but actually he was amazing live, I cant wait to see the new cast!
phan101
phan101

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I agree with Anna, maybe it was a bit of nerves. Ive also found that on 2 occasions seeing the show in London that Christine would get drowned out by the orchestra, like if her mic needed turning up. It happened with me with Jill Washington (was in front row and sometimes could not hear her) and again with Celia Graham back when she was an alternate.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:39 pm

starryeyed wrote: you'd think Ramin's Phantom was heaven-sent and seriously the best thing ever ever ever ever. Rolling Eyes

Well we are in the "young and sexy" era of phantoms, and we all know how much that worked in the movie... lol!

The London production 2 - Page 31 Vomit-smiley-007

I do wonder how much of the Ramin-love, especially from his very large teenage fangirl contingent, is for the man himself rather than his performance as the Phantom.

I'm one of a minority who didn't really like his Raoul either. The voice was still a bit weird for me and it was odd to hear a barely masked (pun not intended) Canadian accent coming from the stage of HM's. But I did very much like him as Enjolras...

His fanmail was seriously scary when he was in his early days as Raoul. Seriously scary. As in, letters covered with lipstick kisses and letters from fans asking him what underwear he wears and requesting far more private details... I dread to think what he receives now.

Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:59 am

Yesterday Philip Griffiths became the longest-serving cast member of any West End (or Broadway) show with 23 years at Phantom! cheers

And Marcus says on Twitter that they had a four hour photo shoot yesterday, so hopefully the new brochure will be out before I go next month.
charleygirl
charleygirl

http://www.charleygirl.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phan101 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 pm

charleygirl wrote:Yesterday Philip Griffiths became the longest-serving cast member of any West End (or Broadway) show with 23 years at Phantom! cheers

And Marcus says on Twitter that they had a four hour photo shoot yesterday, so hopefully the new brochure will be out before I go next month.

I love that man!

Yay can't wait!
phan101
phan101

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Not liking what I'm hearing from Lovett. His voice is much thinner than in the early 90s. Sounds like he's got a throat infection when he tries to hit anything above his middle register.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Not liking what I'm hearing from Lovett. His voice is much thinner than in the early 90s. Sounds like he's got a throat infection when he tries to hit anything above his middle register.

To start with I did think he sounded fairly good but that was after listening to just the mirror and title song but after listening to it a few more times and listening to other parts of the show I have to say I agree with you. and in review someone did from his opening night they said he did a lot of shouting and growling in some places and that by the end his voice had about gone. They also said his acting was forced in places. I will save judgement though until I see him live and he will most likely improve over the next couple of months.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm still supporting Marcus because, well, I have hope. Embarassed
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:37 pm

ML6 wrote:I'm still supporting Marcus because, well, I have hope. Embarassed

I have hope too, i still can't wait to seem his Phantom. You can't really judge someone from one recording Very Happy
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  phan101 Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:41 pm

London-Phan wrote:
ML6 wrote:I'm still supporting Marcus because, well, I have hope. Embarassed

I have hope too, i still can't wait to seem his Phantom. You can't really judge someone from one recording Very Happy

I agree! I really didn't like what I heard of Peter Joback on recordings but from the front row of Her Majesty's he was amazing! Really enjoyed his phantom.
phan101
phan101

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Tomorrow I am in London and on Friday in Phantom! Very Happy
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:54 pm

I think you mean at Phantom. Wink
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:02 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:I think you mean at Phantom. Wink

Hihi, yes I mean at... Very Happy
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Now I am back again from London!
I had a great time especially at Rock of Ages, Woman in Black and Phantom of the Opera.
Les Mis was ok.

I saw the first cast including Anna O´Byrne as Christine.
I love her interpretation of Christine. Totally different to LND. Her voice is strong as we known her.
I had so many goosebumps moments...her Wishing you were somehow here again was so moving.
I believed her anything from the beginning to the end!
Marcus Lovett is a good Phantom, has a good voice...some interesting moments.
I liked also the new Carlotta Lara Martins.

After the show I talked with Lara Martins, Gareth Snooks, Anna O´Byrne and Marcus Lovett.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  ianjonbourgandethanfreema Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:44 pm

SweetChristine wrote:Now I am back again from London!
I had a great time especially at Rock of Ages, Woman in Black and Phantom of the Opera.
Les Mis was ok.

I love her interpretation of Christine. Totally different to LND. Her voice is strong as we known her.
I had so many goosebumps moments...her Wishing you were somehow here again was so moving.

After the show I talked with Lara Martins, Gareth Snooks, Anna O´Byrne and Marcus Lovett.

Has Marcus's vocalizing gotten any better? I'd head those clips posted of him from his first performance and was rather horrified at times by some of his singing.

Also, how is his physical performance?

ianjonbourgandethanfreema

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm

ianjonbourgandethanfreema wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:Now I am back again from London!
Les Mis was ok.

Has Marcus's vocalizing gotten any better? I'd head those clips posted of him from his first performance and was rather horrified at times by some of his singing.

Also, how is his physical performance?

Yes he is much better now! Physical he is strong and real. Sometimes I have a connection to his Phantom.
Not all the time...! But he is good...
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Well, there's always drama at Phantom, Claire Tilling ended up going on as Meg this evening! Wish I could have seen it.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm a jealous you got to see Anna! But glad someone from the forum can give us a first-hand review. I suppose I am a bit biased, she looks and sounds so much like I imagine Christine in my head. I also think she has that old Hollywood silent film star look to her which carries such a nostalgic vibe, and I love it. I think her and Gina Beck rank as my top favorite Christine's from the West End, I don't mean this in a negative way, but it seems to me the London Christine's put more emotion into their performances, than what we get in America (save for Beth Southard..her 'Wishing" is pure soul).
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  zcfthf8 Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:55 pm

I saw the new cast last Saturday, so thought I would provide a review of sorts.

All principles were on, except for Gareth - Tim Laurenti played Andre.

I was excited to see this cast, mainly due to the appointment of a new Phantom (which is always exciting) and Raoul (I like Killian Donnelly immensely, but not as Raoul for numerous reasons).

I will save these new recruits until last.

Lara Martins was enjoyable as Carlotta - having a naturalized continental accent is helpful in making her convincing. Good voice as you'd expect - will she be a great Carlotta ala Rebecca Lock? Perhaps not, but potential is definitely there.

Barry James was good as Firmin. I think some feel his performance is a bit tired and 'bored' but this is a result of his portrayal in my opinion, with his Firmin being a sarcastic/ self-deprecating type. I enjoy it and thought he combined well with Tim Laurenti as Andre. I had been hoping for new managers, as from a selfish point of view, I'd like to see someone fresh. Having seen the show around 30 or so times in the last couple of years, I suppose this is natural. However, to a newcomer to a show, the duo are great.

Personally, I really enjoy Jeremy Seacombe's Piangi. He had big shoes to fill after Rohan's departure, but I think he is doing a superb job. His comic timing is good and his vocals are fantastic.

Cheryl McAvoy is a solid Giry - nothing spectacular, but physically (in terms of posture) very convincing.

Anna Forbes was Meg. This is a bit of a non-event for me - fairly pointless character. Anna was fine - did nothing wrong, nothing spectacular either.

Sofia was better than she had been in the past. Her vocals are not my (nor I believe, many others') problem with her. Vocally she is one of the strongest I have seen. But her acting has always left a lot to be desired IMO (and not because of her accent). She seems to be acting from an 'acting-by-numbers' book, ticking boxes and seemingly doing nothing inventive or intuitive. She seemed more natural this time round - must of caught her on a good day. I am very much looking forward to watching Anna O'Byrne now.

Simon Thomas is a superb Raoul. His voice is very strong and smooth and physically he looks ideal for the role. I can see him being exceptional 6 months into his run. Nothing about his performance to dislike really - very impressed.

Finally, Marcus Lovett. I was extremely excited when I heard of his casting. I enjoyed Peter Joback's portrayal very much - I found it different and captivating - but I was looking forward to an 'old-school' Phantom. I had only heard YouTube clips of Marcus before seeing him and I felt casting a Phantom who is fresh to the role, yet has previous having played it 20 years ago could be a masterstroke.

Having watched him, I remain undecided. His Mirror scene was a bit flat (this is one of my favourite scenes and often sets the tone for the rest of the performance). The title song was fine, if unspectacular. Moving onto MotN, my main feeling was that it reminded of David Shannon's performance - almost restrained. I just felt as if he was holding back vocally - he can certainly hit the big notes, but his voice is not as rich as the old recordings. Sadly, the direction David had to make MotN a lecture seemed apparent, with less sensuality and allure than usual.

His AIAOY reprise was good - very passionate and angry.

Wandering Child was fine, without being mesmeric and POTN was again, fine, without blowing anyone away.

Final Lair was very good - throughout I felt his physicality was noticeable and excellent, being subtle whilst imposing (perhaps because he is a slightly older Phantom).

All in, I enjoyed his Phantom and am watching him again for the 26th birthday performance, but I found aspects of it concerning. His vocals were not as strong as I had expected, but perhaps this is a direction issue? But on this performance, he won't knock anyone's socks off. However, give him time - I HOPE that he can grow into the role and be the Phantom we all hope he can.

Out of interest, has anyone seen Simon Shorten as Phantom? I am very keen to see him in the role.

If anyone is interested, Marcus will be off for a week from 29th October, so Scott Davies will be on. Personally, I think Scott is awesome - his operatic quality and old-school mannerisms tick a lot of boxes for me.

Any comments/ questions please ask.

J

zcfthf8

Back to top Go down

Post  mona lisa Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 pm

zcfthf8, thank you for your review. I´m heading to UK in two weeks just to see the Phantom again. Can´t wait to see the new cast. Expectations are high! To answer your question about Simon. I remember seeing him once in October 2011. He played opposite Katie Hall that time. Vocally he was quite forgettable, but I really REALLY enjoyed his acting. Especially in PONR - I don´t know if it was for fact that he is a lot younger than the rest of London´s Phantoms I´ve seen in the past, but his portrayal was fresh, sensual, different but likeable for me. Both of them, Katie and Simon, did great job on stage. And I believe it was one of their first if not the first performance together! Funny thing though - during the final dissapearing, Simon forgot to leave the mask in the chair, he only threw it there last minute. So when Meg came on stage (Anna Forbes), she didn´t notice it because it was out of place! I was sat in front row so I could actually see for a short moment great confusion on her face:-) but she handled it ok. She continued in her old routine, only without mask. So the very end of the show was just her and ray of light pointing to empty spot on stage... totally new interpretation:-)))

mona lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:06 pm

don't know if anyone alse has seen but theres some videos on youtube of certain scenes from the new cast. They look like they were shot from the side of the Royal circle, so not great but you cane see and hear everything. In the PONR one Marcus' hood comes down before the end of the song and he quickly pulls it back on. Also he does a strange things where he looks like he's going down on one knee when he sings 'Anywhere you go...' but he doesn't actually go down on one knee, it looks a little strange.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 pm

London-Phan wrote:don't know if anyone alse has seen but theres some videos on youtube of certain scenes from the new cast. They look like they were shot from the side of the Royal circle, so not great but you cane see and hear everything. In the PONR one Marcus' hood comes down before the end of the song and he quickly pulls it back on. Also he does a strange things where he looks like he's going down on one knee when he sings 'Anywhere you go...' but he doesn't actually go down on one knee, it looks a little strange.

For me he is a little bit strange. I found no connection to his Phantom. I´ll see what happend when I am seeing him again.
Because of Anna I´ll see the show often.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Nice acting in PONR, I thought, and I found his MOTN to be pretty good as well. He's still got that strained voice in his upper register though.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next