Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
PorteƱa
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 19 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 19 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Ramin belts a lot. He isn't a trained classical singer.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Ramin belts a lot. He isn't a trained classical singer.

That is true, and I do prefer a strong classically trained voice for the phantom, for example my favourite phantom Richard Halton. I do like Ramin's voice though and am a fan of his phantom.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:08 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
PhantomsGhost wrote:If we're going to talk about making characters younger/sexier, let's also not forget Jean Valjean. There's a role that's definitely going for a younger actor than it should.
Yes, and partly because of Ramin! Laughing Also Drew Sarich. And I'm honestly not the biggest ValJOJ fan. For some reason, he's more convincing to me as the Phantom than as Valjean.

Ya can't blame Ramin for that. He was offered the role and took it. He's part of the symptom of young/sexy, not the cause. Cameron Mackintosh is just as guilty as ALW and all the other baby boomers regarding this phenomenon. Again, much of this probably started sometime around the turn of the century. I had to look it up, but I had no idea JOJ was 26 when he took over the role in 1998 (I don't keep up with actor's histories all that much, so this was new to me).
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah, I wasn't blaming him; I meant it's the fault of him having been cast.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Thank you for so many opinions. I agree with the most of it.

The movie was the beginning...the movie shows not the right Phantom - for me.

ItĀ“s only a feeling that some actors have the effect to be a young and sexy Phantom.
But itĀ“s only some impression.

Important for the role is how the actors show the depths of it. Which personality they have, how different they are...
Something special...
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I always felt Raoul should be the younger while the Phantom was suppose to be the mature "wiser" man; It's been stated many times that the Phantom is Christine's sexual awakening, and Raoul is more her roamantic awakening, both very different things; If the actor is good age shouldnt matter, BUT...I am partial to the more mature Phantoms, I just think alot of life experiences that you dont have up until 30's and 40's are needed to pull out the depth of this character. I thought Ramin was great in the RAH version, but that version (while as close to the original show) was also slightly "hollywood-ized" (grammar nazis dont strike lol) in terms of casting; Slightly different subject but I remember seeing the tour and getting our Programme with the lovely color insert of the photos of the current cast; and a friend of mine was startled when he saw Marie Danvers as Christine simply because he said "she's way too old looking to play this", However after the show we both just HAD to meet Marie after her amazing performance, because simply put she had the talent! So I think this issue can go both ways.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:I always felt Raoul should be the younger while the Phantom was suppose to be the mature "wiser" man; It's been stated many times that the Phantom is Christine's sexual awakening, and Raoul is more her roamantic awakening, both very different things; If the actor is good age shouldnt matter, BUT...I am partial to the more mature Phantoms, I just think alot of life experiences that you dont have up until 30's and 40's are needed to pull out the depth of this character. I thought Ramin was great in the RAH version, but that version (while as close to the original show) was also slightly "hollywood-ized" (grammar nazis dont strike lol) in terms of casting; Slightly different subject but I remember seeing the tour and getting our Programme with the lovely color insert of the photos of the current cast; and a friend of mine was startled when he saw Marie Danvers as Christine simply because he said "she's way too old looking to play this", However after the show we both just HAD to meet Marie after her amazing performance, because simply put she had the talent! So I think this issue can go both ways.

Yes most Raouls are too old. I found Nikolaj Alexander Brucker in Essen great as Raoul, he looks so young. I liked him.
Yes a Phantom actor should have more life experience. Not everyone has that with 30Ā“s or 40Ā“s.
Yes there are some ways for all roles...!
Some are too old or too young, in look or in manner. ItĀ“s so different.
ItĀ“s not all black and white..!

I donĀ“t know how old he is, but he looked so young, Roy Weissensteiner. I saw him in Essen as Phantom and he was so great.
So special and I think he understands the Phantom.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Maybe we talked about it but I watched some video with Michael Ball. I think he could be a great Phantom. What do you think?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:12 pm

SweetChristine wrote:Maybe we talked about it but I watched some video with Michael Ball. I think he could be a great Phantom. What do you think?

I think he'd make a great Phantom, he was a wonderful Sweeney recently.

And it seems that I will be seeing Peter Jƶback. Don't know if I should be really exited or horrified.
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:30 pm

I'm planning on seeing Peter's opening night on the 19th, I'm quite looking forward to seeing him I've got a feeling he'll be good, ok he hasn't got the type of voice I prefer for the phantom but then neither did Glyn Kerslake and I loved his phantom.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:16 am

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:Maybe we talked about it but I watched some video with Michael Ball. I think he could be a great Phantom. What do you think?

I think he'd make a great Phantom, he was a wonderful Sweeney recently.

And it seems that I will be seeing Peter Jƶback. Don't know if I should be really exited or horrified.

I want to see Michael Ball in Sweeny Todd.
I must book my tickets.

YouĀ“ll see soon!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 am

Yeah, we've talked about Ball being the Phantom a bit in other threads. I've thought he ought to take a crack at the role for years. He doesn't have the dexterous voice he used to; it's also deeper. But he's shown himself to be a great actor in recent roles, and he's of age now.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 am

Plus, he looks more and more like Michael Crawford... Basketball

The London production 2 - Page 19 Michael%20Crawford%20LargeThe London production 2 - Page 19 22492a

Has anyone else seen Katy Treharne in her current run? Someone said they thought she wore Sierra Boggess' RAH costumes. The floral details of the wedding dress bodice was recognizable, for example. Can anyone confirm this? And have they given the Star Princess costume the proper arm ruffles? It looked so dull without it.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah, I've always thought he looked like MC Jr.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Really he looks more like MC. But I like Michael Ball more. Very Happy
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Peter Jƶback is now living in London and has started rehearsal for Phantom. For anyone interested you can read his blog here. He usually writes in swedish but if you use Google translator you can understand most of it.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi guys, does anyone know that if Sofia is on holiday, would Katy usually be on as Christine or would the understudy, or does it vary?

I'm quite excited to see Peter as the phantom. A new phantom, a new excuse to go Smile

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

EarlFan wrote:Peter Jƶback is now living in London and has started rehearsal for Phantom. For anyone interested you can read his blog here. He usually writes in swedish but if you use Google translator you can understand most of it.

When is his premiere?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm

SweetChristine wrote:When is his premiere?
March 19th, if my memory is not tricking me.

As for the Christines, the alternate usually follows the principal track, and the understudy does the alternate track. That's how it's been done in the past, at least.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi all, does any one have a list of the current London creative team? Like resident director, stage manager (although I heard that they alternate), etc...?
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:05 am

thephanfullerton wrote:Hi all, does any one have a list of the current London creative team? Like resident director, stage manager (although I heard that they alternate), etc...?
OG

Resident Director - Sam Hiller
Company Manager - Satya Ogilvy
Stage Manager - Stewart Arnott
Deputy Stage Manager - Richard Kingcott

Production Manager - Spencer New
Production Stage Manager - Alan Hatton
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Does anyone know if there any other major changes happening in the cast in March or is it just the Phantom?
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 pm

operafantomet wrote:
As for the Christines, the alternate usually follows the principal track, and the understudy does the alternate track. That's how it's been done in the past, at least.

Ah ok thanks for the info. Would like to have seen understudy Christine but not likely to happen. Would like to have gone to night as Raoul is being played by 2nd cover and that might not happen again for a while.

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm

You can almost definitely see Claire Doyle do two performances whenever Sofia Escobar takes a whole week off (since, generally, the alternate does 6 of the shows during such weeks). Claire is a FANTASTIC Christine...would love to see her play it again (I caught one of her early ones in November, opposite Scott Davies... I think it might have been their first show together).
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 pm

I saw Claire Doyle a few weeks ago, and I agree, she is an fantastic Christine. She's one of the best Christines I've seen. I also saw her opposite Scott Davies, they were an outstanding pairing.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:You can almost definitely see Claire Doyle do two performances whenever Sofia Escobar takes a whole week off (since, generally, the alternate does 6 of the shows during such weeks). Claire is a FANTASTIC Christine...would love to see her play it again (I caught one of her early ones in November, opposite Scott Davies... I think it might have been their first show together).

How is her Christine? In combination with Scott Davies it must be perfect!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 am

Below are my earlier posted thoughts on their performances. To further explain "gesture" from the first paragraph.... Doyle explains/communicates through song as if in dialogue...she will gesture in very clear and personalised ways what her heart is expressing. Really, REALLY remarkable work. In addition, the Davies/Doyle pairing is complementary... Her desire for something to believe in was accentuated by his age and interpretation- a mentor, a figure of authority, A GUIDE... and to see her realise he wasn't these things was devastating.

MajesticPhantom wrote:From a technical standpoint, Claire Doyle gave a very physically dynamic performance. She has this knack for really expressing with every gesture what she is communicating. Additionally, her vocal prowess was exceptional. She has a lovely soprano, but could switch into what seemed to be an incredible belt/mix, which she only really used during WISHING and the Final Lair, I suppose to accentuate the shift in Christine's journey (plus, these are very cathartic moments in the REAL life of Christine, not for the onstage soprano).

Interpretation wise, she was really outstanding, and her strong technique as an actor/singer made her choices all the more clear. Her Christine seemed to be a girl with a lot of faith. Faith in God? Spirituality? Something...I would have expected her to pray in a chapel daily, actually. She seemed very much hopeful and in need of this love to come from her father's ghost, from her work... When it all falls apart, and the truth is revealed, she wasn't necessarily angry, but she was a lost sheep, looking for her way again...for something to believe in.

Obviously, Doyle may not necessarily be specifically doing these things, but her commitment to the work, and her very specific reactions onstage indicated a very passionate young girl.

Onto Scott Davies- He is really fascinating in this role. First of all, he couldn't be more different from John Owen-Jones (and this is why I love this show so much...people can vary DRASTICALLY from one another, and, overall, this is good for the growth of a show). Technical points first: He takes a lot of liberties with the blocking, particularly in Music of the Night. He spent most of "Softly, deftly...." leaning against the organ, for example... It all worked, these liberties. They never seemed contrived, but very truthful...he's very much an explorer of the terrain, which I admire. His voice is so rich, too...

His Phantom, being older and more mentally/emotionally disturbed, is a sympathetic creature. His odd stance, his desperate need for physical connection... this point was highlighted after the kiss, when he took the time to touch and explore Christine's lips with his hand. He "loves" Christine in the wrong, needy ways, and he crumbles in defeat by the end. When she returned to give the ring back, he stood up with a cry of hope, which was crushed.

I wish I had had the chance to see Davies again before my time to move back to the States had ended (for the record, I saw JOJ/Escobar/Barratt, Karimloo/Boggess/Fraser, JOJ/Escobar/Donnelly, Davies/Doyle/Donnelly, and JOJ/Hall/Naaman). But I digress, and am grateful to have seen his very interesting, poignant work.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:42 am

@MajesticPhantom: Oh I remember...thank you! Scott Davies is a special Phantom for me. He is so different from the others with much more intense and in his way unique. I liked him very much with Meredit Braun!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:Onto Scott Davies- He is really fascinating in this role. First of all, he couldn't be more different from John Owen-Jones (and this is why I love this show so much...people can vary DRASTICALLY from one another, and, overall, this is good for the growth of a show).
THIS!!

As for other London news, Richard Munday (2nd cover Raoul) had his first performance as Raoul yesterday. This according to a fan or friend who posted the info at the official POTO FB site.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:Below are my earlier posted thoughts on their performances. To further explain "gesture" from the first paragraph.... Doyle explains/communicates through song as if in dialogue...she will gesture in very clear and personalised ways what her heart is expressing. Really, REALLY remarkable work. In addition, the Davies/Doyle pairing is complementary... Her desire for something to believe in was accentuated by his age and interpretation- a mentor, a figure of authority, A GUIDE... and to see her realise he wasn't these things was devastating.

I totally agree with you. She really is a stunning Christine, I'm so pleased I got to see her. She really did seem torn between her love for Raoul and her belief in the Phantom. Nadim Namaan was Raoul at the performance I saw, I really liked him.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next