The Broadway production + US tour

Page 31 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  operafantomet on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 pm

The Majestic right now:
New design of the playbill for the holiday season AND what I assume is a permanent new look for marquee on the outside of the theatre...

Oi! I actually didn't see it coming. And I'm a bit in doubt of how thrilled I am. I do like the new RAH design very much. But I'm not sure it looks good on the facade of The Majestic. The whole neighborhood is brick and black and metal, and the old black logo was such a good match. On the other hand, the blue one stands more out, it catch the eye better maybe? Lots of pictures in this link:

http://broadwayworld.com/article/UP-ON-THE-MARQUEE-PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-Gets-a-Makeover-20111212

operafantomet

View user profile http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:47 am

I hate the RAH mask. It's so amateurish. I don't really mind the misty blue background on the new signs though. Might be a tad bright, but it's tasteful and not tacky like the purple they were using in London.

SenorSwanky

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 am

Yeah, not digging the newer mask logo at all. For the RAH thing-fine. Anniversary event. The mask has worked in it's current form for a very long time. Don't mess with what works.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 am

I was in NYC for work and managed to squeeze in Phantom last night. The performance I saw was with Hugh Panaro, Marni Raab and Kyle Barisich. I sat in Row K (seat 1 on the aisle) and it might be my new favorite seat at the Majestic. Fantastic view.

I might write a full review and post it in the review section at a later time. However, the one thing that is holding me back is that it would unfortunately be a very negative review. Here is a small sampling of my thoughts (and I apologize for sounding like a Phantom scrooge!): I've seen the show somewhere between 25-30 times (I've lost count) and I must say that last night's performance is probably my least favorite performance thus far. It felt very uninspired. It was as if I were watching a dress rehearsal where the director said "please only give this show 20% of your best effort." I didn't believe most of the principal actors actions or motives and frankly the vocals for some did not impress me either. Several of the acting choices almost felt as if they were a caricature of the character that they were portraying. I found myself more interested in characters like the Marksman who seemed to care about the show than several members of the principal cast. I know everyone has an off night. Unfortunately, most of the cast seemed to suffer from an off-night last night. Hopefully next time will be better. Smile

I also saw the new marquee and I am not loving it. I didn't mind the updated design as much on the Playbill though.

Stephanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 am

What does the new Playbill look like?

SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:What does the new Playbill look like?

Here is the picture I took:

Again, I don't love it. But I didn't mind it as much on the Playbill as I did the marquee.

Stephanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm not loving the new marquis either, mind you it would look nice when the snow starts. But I hate that new mask with it's squinty eyes and pointing the wrong way and all.

justin-from-barbados

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:21 am

I'm just bummed that they changed the marquis and Playbill before I ever got to New York to see the production. It's very silly, but I feel like I'll be missing a little something when I finally get out there, because it won't be the logo I've always seen in photographs.

Expecting Rafiki-esque "change is good" lectures...

phantomgirl110

View user profile http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 am

I totally understand how you feel, phantomgirl110. I actually kind of find the Playbill even more heretical and personally sad than the marquis because one of my first visual experiences of the show was a Playbill from 1990, and that same simple mask-on-black cover had persisted for over 23 years.

SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm

I don't particularly care for the new mask. And while I appreciate an upgrade, what I loved about the original logotype was it was high-contrast and therefore easy to read with a hint of blue to give the indication of shattered glass. The visual contrast between the blue and white in the new version doesn't have as much contrast -- but that doesn't seem to matter as much since the text is simply cracked, beveled lettering and not broken glass.

I can probably live with it, but even though all the basic elements are the same, it definitely doesn't have the same iconic feel anymore.

TAFKaR

Raphael

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm

We should write to Dewynters and express our discontent....

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Stephanie wrote:I might write a full review and post it in the review section at a later time. However, the one thing that is holding me back is that it would unfortunately be a very negative review. Here is a small sampling of my thoughts (and I apologize for sounding like a Phantom scrooge!): I've seen the show somewhere between 25-30 times (I've lost count) and I must say that last night's performance is probably my least favorite performance thus far. It felt very uninspired. It was as if I were watching a dress rehearsal where the director said "please only give this show 20% of your best effort." I didn't believe most of the principal actors actions or motives and frankly the vocals for some did not impress me either. Several of the acting choices almost felt as if they were a caricature of the character that they were portraying. I found myself more interested in characters like the Marksman who seemed to care about the show than several members of the principal cast. I know everyone has an off night. Unfortunately, most of the cast seemed to suffer from an off-night last night. Hopefully next time will be better. Smile
Very sad to hear that. I saw the same cast in August, and I found Hugh Panaro phenomenal. Absolutely adored him. I also loved Marni Raab's acting, though I didn't care too much for her voice. Kyle Barisich was meeh, he neither ruined nor added anything to the show. But Hugh Panaro and Marily Caskey (then Madame Giry) was the main reason I went to see a second performance, I wanted to see more details. Very sorry to hear you got an uninspired performance. Sad

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't mind the playbill. Kind of like the blue.

The Marquee? Not crazy about it. My intro to seeing POTO was June 1989 in NY, and the black and white marquee has a very special place in my heart. The blue just doesn't go well with the design.

But, I like it a 1000 times more than that ugly CGI'd face in fog then PHANTOM written across it. Uck.

PhantomsGhost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelOfMusic325 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Every Phantom phan probably knows by now but the 10,000 Broadway performance is February 11th. The matinee performance, Marni Raab just let me know. I wonder why there are no tickets on Telecharge though.

AngelOfMusic325

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  exopotamie on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Friend of a friend in the cast has offered me a backstage tour at the B'way production in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited! I will update y'all on this as much as I can when it happens. Those of you who have done this, anything particular I should look for or ask about? Smile

exopotamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm

AngelOfMusic325 wrote:Every Phantom phan probably knows by now but the 10,000 Broadway performance is February 11th. The matinee performance, Marni Raab just let me know. I wonder why there are no tickets on Telecharge though.
Probably for that exact reason? They'll invite every big theatre and Phantom name, and when they know how many VIPs there'll be, they'll release some nosebleed tickets for the rest of us.... That's usually how they do it, anyway.

But thanks for getting it confirmed that it is the February 11th matinée!

expotamie, every Phantom backstage tour is awesome. You'll have loads of fun no matter what. But do ask if you can to something nerdy, like play the organ or see the throne in action. Smile

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:08 am

AngelOfMusic325 wrote:Every Phantom phan probably knows by now but the 10,000 Broadway performance is February 11th. The matinee performance, Marni Raab just let me know. I wonder why there are no tickets on Telecharge though.

I bought mine through Telecharge before they took them off. They are now listed on the Actors Fund website.

phantom10906

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelOfMusic325 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 am

Oh alright, that makes sense then why they aren't listed on telecharge.
Happy we at least know for sure now.

AngelOfMusic325

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:21 pm

According to Playbill.com, the 10,000 performance - the matinée on February 11th - will be a "special performance to benefit the Actors Fund":

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/158210-Phantom-of-the-Opera-Will-Offer-Special-Performance-to-Benefit-Actors-Fund

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:12 am

Short but sweet article about Trista Moldovan here. She's engaged to Tewks! I bumped into them on the way to the theatre before the tour's final performance back in 2010 and I thought it was cute that the Phantom and Christine were having dinner together before the show...now I think it's even cuter!

phantomgirl110

View user profile http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Aaaaaw, congrats to them!

For whatever it's worth, a person over at the official international FB site claims they're now casting people for a new US tour. I asked if he was not just mistaking the general audition bill, where they might have forgotten to remove "national tour" from the title. His answer was that a friend of him had gotten a call-back, and that this friend was told it was for a new tour. I can in no way verify this, but I thought I should mention it.

This seems consistent with what Tim Martin Gleason said when the previous US tour closed - that a new one would come along soon. Another within the production also said the new tour would be re-vamped to be easier to tour (but could not answer on whether it meant re-staging (AKA like the new UK tour), or just better technical solutions for the existing version. This same person (sorry to be vague) thought closing the existing tour also had to do with high costs for those who had been in the cast and crew for ages, that seniority made their salaries too high, but that they couldn't be fired just like that either (I should probably remember the explanation better...). Shutting down and opening with new people, maybe even non-equity folks, meant slicing running costs for salaries with noticeable sums.

However, I don't know enough of this stuff to be able to verify that either... So a couple of rumours, but the main message is that we might see a new US tour soon!

ETA: looks like Kimilee Bryant is up for some Carlotta performances the coming days:

January 9, 11 at 8 PM "Carlotta" in Phantom, Broadway ( Monday & Wed eve)
http://www.kimileebryant.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=20&Itemid=65

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 am

That could be good news, as long as they restage it well and cast good people.

SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:01 am

SenorSwanky wrote:That could be good news, as long as they restage it well and cast good people.

I hope that they do both of those things, but at the least, it will be a professional production. The rash of high school and college POTOs made a lot of kids and their parents happy but were not as satisfying as the tours that were.

Bric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:23 am

I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what exactly was to expensive about the last tour, scenic wise. All the houses it goes/went to already had the roof retrofitted to take the chandelier so it can't be that. They don't have any more scenery than most other shows. They have a complex deck to travel with, so does almost every other tour. And they had a proscenium to load in, so does Wicked, and again, all the hoist points are there from before (wicked actually uses the same points for its proscenium). so the assumption it is more of a sallary thing does make sence. Unless it is also that they would like to play in smaller houses.

justin-from-barbados

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:27 am

I would venture that the salary issue is only part of it. The other part would be giving the show a lighter footprint so it can travel a little faster. With the load in/load out times, it was only practical if the show could sit for a month or more at a location. Perhaps they devised a way to allow for quicker turnover, who knows.

If I were looking at it from the business perspective, that's what I'd do. One tour instead of multiple tours, that can hit more cities and at a faster rate than before. Maybe tap into some markets that either haven't seen the show in a very long time, or haven't seen it at all yet. Who knows, maybe they've redesigned the chandelier or made it with lighter materials so that the house renovations don't have to be so massive. I guess we'll see.

Phantom, Wicked, and Lion King are the big three when it comes to massive touring shows. Comparing it to Wicked unfortunately doesn't say much except it's still a big, somewhat cumbersome show to move around.

Phantom on a Budget

View user profile http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 am

Right, and the point with Wicked is it's a much newer show. Obviously it was for 20 years not prohibitively expensive to tour Phantom, and for 5 to 7 years there were two tours, plus the "1NT" that sat in LA and SF. But the salaries and benefits of longtime cast members required, I'm sure, by Equity (and hey, it's partly the producers' fault for keeping a lot of people around so long) plus the fact it was no longer the hot new thing started making the costs exceed the income.

SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 am

justin-from-barbados wrote:I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what exactly was to expensive about the last tour, scenic wise. All the houses it goes/went to already had the roof retrofitted to take the chandelier so it can't be that. They don't have any more scenery than most other shows.
If I'm not mistaken, the load-in for each venue took so long time they travelled with two sets (or at least prosceniums, but I think we're talking double of everything). This meant they could finish their run in one theatre simultaneously as installing Phantom in another theatre. It saved time, but it was probably also expensive. Double travel costs, more crew. But yes, it does seem likely that salaries was a part of the deal as well.

I personally hope for a new tour with merely better technical solutions (easier assembled proscenium, lighter chanderlier, lighter candle deck, that sort of stuff) instead of a projection heavy redesigned one. I have little doubt it's the UK tour they'll launch over the pond, though. So I X my fingers that'll be a good one...

operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 am

operafantomet wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what exactly was to expensive about the last tour, scenic wise. All the houses it goes/went to already had the roof retrofitted to take the chandelier so it can't be that. They don't have any more scenery than most other shows.
If I'm not mistaken, the load-in for each venue took so long time they travelled with two sets (or at least prosceniums, but I think we're talking double of everything). This meant they could finish their run in one theatre simultaneously as installing Phantom in another theatre. It saved time, but it was probably also expensive. Double travel costs, more crew. But yes, it does seem likely that salaries was a part of the deal as well.

The double-everything is exactly what I have read more than once over time and thought was probably one of the main factors in its being a more expensive than usual show.

We should get some idea of the changes for the UK tour before long.

Bric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:38 am

Further details on the 10,000th performance special events:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/158674-Phantom-of-the-Operas-10000th-Performance-Will-Benefit-The-Actors-Fund

R.

Raphael

View user profile http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 am

Oof, that's a lot of money to participate in the post-show celebrations. For a good cause, though. Thanks for sharing the details.

~Madame~

Madame Giry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top