Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th anniversary celebrations

+66
Phantomess
StrangerThanUDreamt
RatSalsa
PridePhan
PorteƱa
vmkwinner
Molina
Becky
TheFinnishPhantom
Viscountess
tmarucci
Paula74
eriklefantome
phantomphan1992
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
BradPhan
Phantour
Amberly_Nichole
Bunvendor
alaron4
ChristineDaae1982
Freyalise
Mandrake
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
tiawhitecat
justin1976
ravnquest1
AlwaysChristine
auctioneer
Callie Daae
ette
Blind Phan
PhantomsGhost
phantom10906
Bric
Josephine
moaja
justin-from-barbados
Lycanthrope
Miss von Krolock
MaskedLion
MasqPhan
ifonlyidont
LadyCDaae
CountessDeChangy
Helen
TrapDoorLurker
starryeyed
Cape Twirl of Doom
operafantomet
Madame Giry
EarlFan
Aled_Boyo
MajesticPhantom
IamErik771
Mme Reyer
Phantomlove
ladygodiva
Rebecca
PhantomJT
ML6
Raphael
PMB1034
SenorSwanky
Scorp
70 posters

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 Empty Re: 25th anniversary celebrations

Post  PhantomsGhost Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I find I really liked too. I see the flaws but I can easily overlook them (except for the projections...hate them...). Perhaps because I've had the movie in the back of my mind and it's left such a bad taste in my mouth that anything else is an improvement. A huge improvement.

I am hoping that when new phans come in they won't try to combine Ramin's name with Erik's such as Rerikin or Eramin or something along those lines I'll really be happy. (Oh, and not try and find a freakin' "hidden plot" Twisted Evil)
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:I am hoping that when new phans come in they won't try to combine Ramin's name with Erik's such as Rerikin or Eramin or something along those lines I'll really be happy. (Oh, and not try and find a freakin' "hidden plot" Twisted Evil)
Sierramin? Razz

I'm so curious about all these extremely negative reviews that is comming out, actually to the point where I'm wondering if we have seen the same thing.
I wanna point out that for once I think the filmed experience was cooler than the live experience. I didn't see it live, so I can't say for sure, but most of the negative reviews has in fact come from people who saw it live. If the spectacle wasn't convincing from ones seat (for example not seeing the projections as they were intended to be seen), or one sat too far away from the stage too get the nuances of the acting, or whatever else might affect the show, I can totally understand how it can have been underwhelming. In cinemas we got fantastic closeups and all the nuances of the various portrayals. Whether these was to ones liking is another matter, reviews tend to vary from mixed to pure love. But the theatrical experience was, I think, way better on screen.

So you might not in fact have seen the same thing.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Have only seen half of the first act so far, loving it totally.

but

I just cant find any love for the London masks, they are just so big and ugly, particularly if youre looking at it in profile. The hairline in the wig is too far back causing a need for a HUGE forehead. This was changed briefly when David Shannon was in the role. I just find the US masks look so much more elegant (particularly the newer design) Although nothing can beat the Toronto masks, Karrie's in particular.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 pm

operafantomet wrote:
PhantomsGhost wrote:I am hoping that when new phans come in they won't try to combine Ramin's name with Erik's such as Rerikin or Eramin or something along those lines I'll really be happy. (Oh, and not try and find a freakin' "hidden plot" Twisted Evil)
Sierramin? Razz

I'm so curious about all these extremely negative reviews that is comming out, actually to the point where I'm wondering if we have seen the same thing.
I wanna point out that for once I think the filmed experience was cooler than the live experience. I didn't see it live, so I can't say for sure, but most of the negative reviews has in fact come from people who saw it live. If the spectacle wasn't convincing from ones seat (for example not seeing the projections as they were intended to be seen), or one sat too far away from the stage too get the nuances of the acting, or whatever else might affect the show, I can totally understand how it can have been underwhelming. In cinemas we got fantastic closeups and all the nuances of the various portrayals. Whether these was to ones liking is another matter, reviews tend to vary from mixed to pure love. But the theatrical experience was, I think, way better on screen.

I think you are right, which is one of the reasons that I was pretty happy with not spending loads of money going to London to see it in person. It would have been cool to be able to say that you had been there, but I think the experience was probably better in the cinema because you got the close ups etc.

Actually, I think I might have a fan in the making. One of the friends I went with asked me the day after how much I thought it would be for her to have a Phantom weekend in London. She really wants to go and see the show at Her Majesty's now.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 pm

My review on Livejournal, if anyone's interested: Clicky

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:39 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:My review on Livejournal, if anyone's interested: Clicky

And okay, WTF was up with the faint? In the absence of the mirror bride, what prompted it?
~LCD
Don't you know? It was the power of the music of the night! Laughing
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:18 am

operafantomet wrote:Sierramin? Razz
Mountains 'N' Noodles?

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:54 am

Miss von Krolock wrote:
LadyCDaae wrote:My review on Livejournal, if anyone's interested: Clicky

And okay, WTF was up with the faint? In the absence of the mirror bride, what prompted it?
~LCD
Don't you know? It was the power of the music of the night! Laughing

Heh, of course. Razz But really, that was one bit that reminded me how there always seems to be two ways of going through the PotO blocking: the actors that do it because it makes sense for the character to move that way, and those that do it because that's the way it's been done since Hal Prince staged the show lo these many years ago. (Yes, Prince didn't stage this concert, but it's pretty clearly inspired by his work.) The faint felt like it was there just because it's always there.

Sierramin?

Sounds like a breath mint..."Fight bad breath with icy cool Sierramin!"

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:22 am

I think that they replaced the mirror bride with the Phantom seizing Christine's wrist suddenly as the reason for why she fainted.

I *do* like that he caught and carried her in the Anniversary show, though. That's a detail that, at least in the US, doesn't happen anymore I think. Christine just drops to the floor and magically ends up in the boat the next morning.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 am

[quote="Phantomlove"]
operafantomet wrote:
Sierramin? Razz

Having now briefly seen bits and pieces of what was broadcast in cinemas, I think operafantomet's theory makes sense. It does come across a lot better with the close-ups. The RAH is a big venue, and doesn't for a minute have the intimacy that Her Majesty's has. People around me and Earlfan did give it a standing ovation though. I just didn't feel the performance deserved it from where I was sitting. The only number that really registered with me was Sierra's 'Wishing'. That said, I hope my own thoughts didn't come across as "extremely negative"; it wasn't an appalling show by any stretch. I had likes and dislikes. For me though, the whole thing came across as very mediocre, and with the amount of hype that surrounded the event plus the expense of the tickets, mediocre is not what I wanted to see.

People are FINALLY clicking that what they saw over the weekend is not the original production. It's that trailer on YouTube that the powers-that-be put online and which uses the EPK footage of the London production with Karimloo, Beck and Bailey that keeps confusing (and misleading) everyone. Had we seen a full version of THAT show, I would have been near-on ecstatic.

@Raphael: "In Hal Prince we trust" = my new motto! Smile
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:27 am

justin-from-barbados wrote:Have only seen half of the first act so far, loving it totally.

but

I just cant find any love for the London masks, they are just so big and ugly, particularly if youre looking at it in profile. The hairline in the wig is too far back causing a need for a HUGE forehead. This was changed briefly when David Shannon was in the role. I just find the US masks look so much more elegant (particularly the newer design) Although nothing can beat the Toronto masks, Karrie's in particular.
I love the London masks (more on some Phantoms than others), but I agree about the Toronto masks. And I do love the older US masks, through the mid- to late 90s.

Paula, I agree with you about the lack of eerie tension in the auction. Not Earl's fault though. I think part of it was that everything throughout the show was really brightly lit. I was going to say it must've been out of necessity, but the Les Mis concert and ALW birthday concert in the same venue were much darker.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Aled_Boyo Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 pm

A few pics from Sunday Very Happy

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 00312

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 00411

Interesting to read people's reviews / thoughts. I gotta say, we didn't miss much in terms of nuances, etc on the night. I think the buzz of 'being there' helped my enjoyment of the concert, though. Looking forward to watching it back on DVD, as I really enjoyed the whole show! Whatever minor issues I had to begin with were quickly forgotten.

As far as Hadley Fraser goes... I thought he was...alright! I know I'm in the minority here, but for me he did pretty much what I always look for in a Raoul - turn up, say the lines and deliver an adequate performance. I've never been blown away by London Raouls, but I think that's partly due to the way he's written. In that respect, I think he did ok! Excellent voice.

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 00610

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 00710

Check these out too! Was walking past HMs the next day to catch my train back... and it was quite the site! I didn't realise they'd used so much of the London sets / costumes

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 00810

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 00910

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 01010

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 01210

Aled_Boyo
Aled_Boyo

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Holy sweet Moses, those last pictures are fantastic!!! (plus some more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Thank you so much for documenting and sharing it. Big virtual cookie and kudos and everything else that is good. Very Happy

I've been comparing a couple of pictures I've found here and there, and I actually wonder if Sierra Boggess wore Gina Beck's costumes. The Elissa skirt looks identical, except I think they put on a new false bodice in the waist. And if they're bringing the Wishing dress and Star Princess costume back, it makes me wonder even more. But of course, there aren't any distinct marks on them to tell for sure.

Again.... wow. You're my hero today for those pictures. I love you Digging the one of JOJ too.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Aled, those are wonderful pictures! Fancy bumping into JOJ after the show, too!

And wow, those pics of the London costumes 'coming home' are really fascinating. I may have missed it before, but I assume they cancelled the performance at Her Majesty's for Saturday on account of the Anniversary? Seeing as they used all these costumes and also had London cast members in the Anniversary show, it wouldn't make sense if they kept the original's performances that day.

Thank you so much for sharing, you lucky person, you. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Madame Giry wrote:And wow, those pics of the London costumes 'coming home' are really fascinating. I may have missed it before, but I assume they cancelled the performance at Her Majesty's for Saturday on account of the Anniversary? Seeing as they used all these costumes and also had London cast members in the Anniversary show, it wouldn't make sense if they kept the original's performances that day.
I dunno. They have a rather decent costume warehouse, with multiple of each costume, in many sizes. I think they store both spare West End costumes AND the UK tour ones there. I also saw several of the German costumes in the RAH concert, and it was rumoured they borrowed a bunch from the US as well (though I couldn't see any). They could probably do four simultaneous productions with that amount of costumes!

Also, since Wendy Ferguson was out, I assume one of the Carlotta understudies went on at Her Majesty's. They have their own costumes. Ditto for the Christine understudies.

But yeah, those pictures... drool!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:49 pm

As far as Hadley Fraser goes... I thought he was...alright! I know I'm in the minority here, but for me he did pretty much what I always look for in a Raoul - turn up, say the lines and deliver an adequate performance. I've never been blown away by London Raouls, but I think that's partly due to the way he's written. In that respect, I think he did ok! Excellent voice.

One of the major flaws in PotO as a work is that, excepting the Phantom himself, the characters as written are pretty flat and don't have a lot of nuance or context beyond what the actors give them. And I felt that one of the drawbacks to this production was that too many of the actors weren't providing that nuance--Fraser and Liz Robertson were the worst in this regard, but I saw it a lot in the managers and Piangi as well--and as a result, scenes were falling flat. As you say, part of this is the little they have to work with, but after seeing actors who can really take these parts and make them their own, it's a letdown just to have someone "turn up and say the lines."

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Ahh, that makes sense that HM's would have a ton of costumes, then.

JOJ wouldn't have been available that night, either, because of his appearance at the 25th. ( And oh, are we ever so glad that he did do his bit there Very Happy )

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Her Majesty's was "dark" both Friday 30th September and Saturday 1st October to all those wondering. Considering every single cast member involved with Her Majesty's (bar a few such as Scott Davies, Cheryl Malone I think too...) was in the RAH concert it would have been a tad impossible to stage a show. Although I'm sure Scott could have probably done a rather hilarious one man show...

Also, I heard from one of the crew at Her Majesty's that there's practically completely new "props" in use at Her Majesty's now that they've inherited from the RAH production. They said it was pretty cool but also quite sad as many that they already had were in use for the majority of the 25 years and were pretty old.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Aled, your pictures aren't showing up for me.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

[quote="LadyCDaae"]
One of the major flaws in PotO as a work is that, excepting the Phantom himself, the characters as written are pretty flat and don't have a lot of nuance or context beyond what the actors give them. And I felt that one of the drawbacks to this production was that too many of the actors weren't providing that nuance--Fraser and Liz Robertson were the worst in this regard, but I saw it a lot in the managers and Piangi as well--and as a result, scenes were falling flat. As you say, part of this is the little they have to work with, but after seeing actors who can really take these parts and make them their own, it's a letdown just to have someone "turn up and say the lines."
~LCD

I wonder if that's because the actors may have been asked to tone it down a bit since this was being filmed. *shrugs*

On another note, those photos are G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. It's lovely to see them hanging around like that. I really love the one with JOJ in it. :-)
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Wah. I want the props they're getting rid of. Sad

So, that's that. NOW, its Broadway's turn to get some love. Maybe Ill show up for that one.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:33 pm

ML6 wrote:Wah. I want the props they're getting rid of. Sad

I was *just* thinking the same thing! Is there anything like a Broadway Flea Market for West End? That would be amazing - though I'd have to enlist the help of our Royalist British board members for help in procuring props! Wink

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:40 pm

So Nigel Wright apparently began mixing the album this week. I don't have my OLC to hand at the moment, what are the CD's runtimes? Could we expect similar cuts to fit on the 2 discs or is there roon for the full show ('Seal My Fate', more dialogue) etc?
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 Empty Phantom 25th - Oct. 11

Post  tmarucci Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm sure that a lot of you have already experienced The 25th anniversary performance of The Phantom of the Opera broadcast from London to US movie theaters these past few days. But I just wanted to remind everybody that the final encore performance will take place on:

Tues. Oct. 11, 2011 in participating nationwide U.S. movie theaters

It's definitely a must-see performance and has received raving reviews, so to find out if there is a theater near you, go to the Fathom Events website. Also, I have a lot of resources, so if anybody has questions, let me know!

If we can't watch the live show in London, this is a great option to see the performance.

-T

Last edited by tmarucci on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

tmarucci

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:05 pm

tmarucci wrote:

So, who's seen it so far?!

Practically everyone who's posted in this thread.

And as far as the encore on the 11th goes, consider me jealous. None of the theatres around me bothered to show the encores for the 6th or 11th.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:15 am

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 18 Hadleysraoul

I'm sorry. I had to share this one. Especially the "loving" part. It basically had me spit out my hot chocolate from laughing. From here: http://glassprism.tumblr.com/

Sorry to be harsh on Hadley Fraser. He just ruined the concert version so much for me. And he put an official "douche bag" stamp on a role I like. I think I'll hold a grudge to him for that forever. Though Karimloo did well as the Phantom, I can only imagine how much more the whole thing would have rocked if he played Raoul instead of Fraser. He was an awesome Raoul, with a totally different idea of what "strong" and "caring" meant.

I don't question that Hadley Fraser is an awesome Javert. I just don't think he should have played Raoul as Javert.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:25 am

Haha, I'm laughing so much it hurts right now. Laughing This is brilliant! lol!
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I don't understand a lot of people lately, apparently because this is an anniversary concert we cannot show our distaste towards the actors or the overall performance.

I'm glad we don't have any of those people in here. Shocked
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I've seen a lot of that lately too. "It's not about the actors or their performances it's about the show!" they all seem to cry.

I just don't get that logic at all. I bet if their precious Ramin or precious Hadley or precious Sierra (sorry but these people tend to majorly love this trio) weren't in the concert and it was another trio they'd find it perfectly acceptable to criticize.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:58 pm

I actually didn't utterly hate Hadley, I found him a bit bland at times, but overall I could live with his performance as Raoul.

There were just so many things about the concert that made me WTF. For example, random dude in white during the Masquerade and the missing arm puffs (though I'm guessing there's a good reason for that one)
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next