Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scarlet Pimpernel

+5
aussiephan
Paula74
phantomgirl110
IamErik771
Raphael
9 posters

Go down

The Scarlet Pimpernel Empty The Scarlet Pimpernel

Post  Raphael Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 pm

My second-favorite musical of all. It's got swordfighting, romance, comedy, the works. Hope it gets revived in the US sometime soon.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

The Scarlet Pimpernel Empty Re: The Scarlet Pimpernel

Post  IamErik771 Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:27 pm

I've never gotten to see the show live, but I have the original Broadway cast album and have seen YouTube clips of various different casts... I'd really love to see this one in person someday. And Chauvelin seems like a really fun role to play. (Well, really, all the characters seem like they'd be a lot of fun, but Chau especially.)

Last edited by IamErik771 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:15 pm

This is such a great show. I saw it entirely for Brad Little, knowing absolutely nothing about the show going in, and I absolutely loved it.
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 pm

I've always liked the novel and like what I've heard and seen of this on youtube, etc.

If it were revived, I would most definitely see it.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Ah, yes, I loved Brad's Percy! (Or at least, the few songs I've heard him in.) I found a great video (professionally recorded; not to worry) from a concert given by Kiyotaka Imai (1999 Japanese Phantom) where Brad got to join in for "Into the Fire." That user also uploaded some other clips from that concert, including Brad and Kiyotaka singing "Point of No Return." Very Happy
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiephan Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Loved this show, was the first show I ever saw on Broadway in 1999 on my first overseas trip and went into it knowing nothing of the story or music but had heard of rave reviews of Douglas Sills that it wasn't to be missed - it didn't dissapoint. It was such a fun show that had a bit of everything in it, but loved most of all the wonderful ensemble numbers and the great bits of humour. Alas, a professional show has never appeared here in Oz and its not something that the non professional groups seem to pick up ( have only seen one of them do it a few years ago)- they seem to go for more popular known shows that will bring in the crowds.

Hoping I will get to see it again one day

Bonnie
aussiephan
aussiephan

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaskedLion Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Someone very close to me, recorded the Prayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nmv_B_ri1E
TheMaskedLion
TheMaskedLion

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiephan Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Beautiful - loved the powerful high notes and feeling expressed.

Bonnie
aussiephan
aussiephan

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 am

Hi Raphael!

A little late to the party I know...but I saw The Scarlet Pimpernel on Broadway with the original cast, and I really enjoyed it! I esp liked Terrence Mann in the role of Chauvlin (he's one of my fave Broadway musical actors). I also own the OCR CD.
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri May 11, 2012 3:58 pm

I have both the OCR and Reprise album after the show got rebooted during its Broadway run (taking notes, ALW? That's how you improve a show - you go through it and change EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS CHANGING in order to make it work). Still a favorite to listen to and one of the few musicals I wouldn't mind seeing adapted into an animated film.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Fri May 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Raphael wrote:I have both the OCR and Reprise album after the show got rebooted during its Broadway run (taking notes, ALW? That's how you improve a show - you go through it and change EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS CHANGING in order to make it work). Still a favorite to listen to and one of the few musicals I wouldn't mind seeing adapted into an animated film.

R.

You know, I saw the *original* SP production on Broadway -- not the "reboot". I enjoyed the original -- didn't think it had that many flaws. Smile

Hmm, an animated film of the SP musical...would be interesting for sure. Very Happy
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  LesMizPhan Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Raphael wrote:My second-favorite musical of all. It's got swordfighting, romance, comedy, the works. Hope it gets revived in the US sometime soon.

R.

Very Happy <3 you even more!! haha

Now time to rub it in ... I got to be in the show at my community theatre. I got to play Mercier (best part ever!) and pretty much is Chauvelin's bitch Wink
LesMizPhan
LesMizPhan

https://www.facebook.com/dcelii

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 pm

I love this musical. I remember back when I was on the Masquerade forums (yes, lol), someone made a comment about the Broadway album and how I should pick it up. I remember for my Birthday, I went to a local record store and was gifted a couple CD's of Broadway shows, this one included. Took me a *bit* to get into it, now I adore it. Like others, I didn't understand the problems the first version had. I hated when they turned 'Storybook' into a kid friendly opening for the show by the 2.0 version. Douglas Sills and Christine Andreas were adorable. I heard people were kind of iffy on Terrence Mann because he seemed to be re-playing his role of Javert again, but I enjoyed him.

I really hope they revive the show but seeing what is being done to J&H, kind of glad it hasn't been.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  LesMizPhan Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm

ML6 wrote:I love this musical. I remember back when I was on the Masquerade forums (yes, lol),

You were in the Masquerade forums too?? So was I!! Very Happy Reunion!!
LesMizPhan
LesMizPhan

Back to top Go down

Post  LesMizPhan Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:31 pm

There's bits and pieces I like about each version. The OBC is my favourite of course. Douglas and Christine were absolutely perfect for their parts! I love Terrence Mann so I loved his performance as Chauvelin as well! I've read a few interviews and one being from Terrence about the comparison between Javert and Chauvelin and they are quite similar. I believe Terrence said something to the effect of "Chauvelin is just like Javert but with a love affair" and he's right. Citoyen Armaund Chauvelin is based off of Bernard-François, marquis de Chauvelin who you can read a bit about here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard-François,_marquis_de_Chauvelin

If you also take the comparison between Javert and Eugène François Vidocq they both have similarities between both Chauvelin's. I know I'm kinda leaving it very vague but if you would like me to elaborate further I can do so (but will need to do some old research that I use to know off the top of my head haha)
LesMizPhan
LesMizPhan

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:54 pm

LesMizPhan wrote:
ML6 wrote:I love this musical. I remember back when I was on the Masquerade forums (yes, lol),

You were in the Masquerade forums too?? So was I!! Very Happy Reunion!!

And who were you? :O
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  LesMizPhan Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 pm

I can't exactly remember (I think I went through multiple screen names) but mostly I was Inspector (or Inspecteur)
LesMizPhan
LesMizPhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:34 am

LesMizPhan wrote:
Now time to rub it in ... I got to be in the show at my community theatre. I got to play Mercier (best part ever!) and pretty much is Chauvelin's bitch Wink
Awesome Very Happy

I brought a bunch of my fencing buddies to see the show when the tour came to San Francisco years ago. We hung out at the stage door and spoke to Douglas Sills. When we mentioned we were all fencers he immediately got into the classic en-garde position Smile And I heard at the very next stop they sped up the Percy/Chauvelain swordfight choreography Laughing

I like both the OBC and the Encore. While I prefer the spunkiness of Rachel York of "Encore", I also prefer the more serious (read: not overacted) Terrence Mann of the OBC. As for the change to open the show with "Storybook," I heard it was because opening it with "Madame Guillotine" made audiences assume it was going to be a heavy dramatic piece like "Les Miserables," so "Storybook" set the overall tone better.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LesMizPhan Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Raphael wrote:As for the change to open the show with "Storybook," I heard it was because opening it with "Madame Guillotine" made audiences assume it was going to be a heavy dramatic piece like "Les Miserables," so "Storybook" set the overall tone better.

R.

What? Aww come on, having someone's head cut off as the start of the show is totally badass!! Wink

Rex Smith in the Encore didn't do anything for me (I'd rather see him in Pirates of Penzance). I also like seeing how Terrence plays the role of Javert and then Chauvelin (Chauvelin's role being the better of the two in my opinion) Chauvelin can have a little fun with Scarlet Pimpernel because the whole love affair in the SP series (all 17 novels) doesn't show up until later books. (SP is the 3rd book in the series btw so the love affair doesn't get brought up til like book 5 and a bit in book 2)
LesMizPhan
LesMizPhan

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:16 am

Raphael wrote:
LesMizPhan wrote:
Awesome Very Happy

I brought a bunch of my fencing buddies to see the show when the tour came to San Francisco years ago. We hung out at the stage door and spoke to Douglas Sills. When we mentioned we were all fencers he immediately got into the classic en-garde position Smile And I heard at the very next stop they sped up the Percy/Chauvelain swordfight choreography Laughing

I like both the OBC and the Encore. While I prefer the spunkiness of Rachel York of "Encore", I also prefer the more serious (read: not overacted) Terrence Mann of the OBC. As for the change to open the show with "Storybook," I heard it was because opening it with "Madame Guillotine" made audiences assume it was going to be a heavy dramatic piece like "Les Miserables," so "Storybook" set the overall tone better.

R.

Jealous, I am jealous you got to speak to Douglas. Everyone raves on how spunky he is at the stage door. I wanted to see Addams Family JUST for him, never happened.

Rachel York is a great Marguerite, and she's always a nice addition to a show. As for that change, that's a load of bull. Storybook is the kind of song that I always pictured that was *beneath* Marguerite to sing. Which was the reason she sang it as a tavern lass. I thought it brought down her character as for that being a choice of one of her acting roles. Audiences should have sucked it up and enjoyed it, it seemed to deviate further away from the novel with each change. 'I'll Forget You' drives me nuts.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum