Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Las Vegas Phan week

+21
Demodiki
Phantomlove
TGITPC
Christine's Shadow
SenorSwanky
Paula74
Blind Phan
Phantom on a Budget
ChorusGirl
starryeyed
IamErik771
meglett
Raphael
TheStudent
Caroline
MasqPhan
phantom10906
Scorp
operafantomet
phantomgirl110
Admin
25 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Empty Re: Las Vegas Phan week

Post  Raphael Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 am

Has anyone mentioned the Insider Sessions yet? You know, like the Phantom Theatre one when they showed us stuff like this:

Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 DSCN1167

and this:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 DSCN1176

and this:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 DSCN1192

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:40 am

Hi!

Great shots of those sets! My camera doesn't really like the dark, so mine did not turn out so well!

In other news, Hi! It's great to be here! My name is Addi & I was a lurker on the previous forum. I'm very much into costumes, so I followed the threads on those subjects. I tried to join a couple of months ago, but that didn't quite work. Thanks Bryan, for directing me to this one! Anyhow, I consider myself very fortunate that I was able to attend Phantom Fans Week, and I just can't describe how much fun it was. I especially enjoyed seeing the costumes at the Masquerade "Ball" (was anyone else sad that there was no dancing?), and oh my, that Red Death- fantastic! What a fun time- I'm rather sorry I arrived late! My sis has all of the better pictures of that event & the rest of the weekend, but when I get them from her I will share some here.

So nice to meet y'all!

ChorusGirl Smile
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:09 am

Welcome to the group, Addi! We all knew you had to be a part of it after seeing your gorgeous dress at the Ball. Very Happy I'm glad we were able to find you and give you the invite.

Hello everyone! I have the photos (most of which are Mandy's, lol) organized on my facebook page, and am also hoping to have some video of the Masquerade Ball uploaded to my YouTube page by tomorrow morning. Cool

Keep an eye on that YouTube page in the next week or two, as I have the costume seminar and the entire Hal Prince address on film, and will be editing and posting those as time allows (phantomfett and I have a crazy week coming up, so bear with me!). Smile
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 am

Phantom on a Budget wrote:Keep an eye on that YouTube page in the next week or two, as I have the costume seminar and the entire Hal Prince address on film, and will be editing and posting those as time allows (phantomfett and I have a crazy week coming up, so bear with me!). Smile
Well, with the promise of such kind of clips, I'll definitely be patient! Very Happy

And Addi, so glad you found your way over here. I saw pics of your Star Princess dress and gasped. So beautiful! That goes for you other people too - the costume work you did (and the finished result) looks amazing. Seriously amazing.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:06 am

Re: the set pictures.

AMAZING quality, to see sets unblocked and in full view like that. I adore the Palais Garnier facade. Something irks me about the roundness in the upper part of the "Il Muto" and "Don Juan" set, I can't really put my finger on it, but cool to see the original design expanded. Thanks for sharing!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 am

When i first saw his costume i had to do a double take. My hats off to you for all the detail you put in to that costume. cheers
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 am

phantomfett wrote:Fear me! Smile

Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 IMG_2129

Phantastic! I love it. And am simultaneously fearful. What a Face

And Raphael, those shots of the sets have come out so well! Thanks for posting. I too like the Palais Garnier façade and I quite like the Il Muto set too. Not too keen on how they expanded the DJT set, but oh well.

PhantomOnABudget wrote:Keep an eye on that YouTube page in the next week or two, as I have the costume seminar and the entire Hal Prince address on film

Exclamation Yay, I get to see the Hal Prince address! *excited* Here's a little article from the arts blog of the New York Times:

Harold Prince Meets His Phans
By Dave Itzkoff

When we spoke with Harold Prince earlier on Tuesday to talk about his new musical, “Paradise Found,” he mentioned that he had recently returned from Phantom Fans Week, a five-day long celebration of “Phantom - The Las Vegas Spectacular” at the Venetian Hotel.

There, Mr. Prince helped rehearse the abbreviated Las Vegas production of “Phantom of the Opera,” and gave the celebration’s keynote address. He also met some particularly dedicated admirers of the show — and of him.

As Mr. Prince recalled: “They said to me, ‘There’s going to be a masked ball.’ I said, ‘Well, I think I’m going to have to pass on that. I’m going to be on the tired side.’ And they said, ‘Yes, but you’ll see certain elements of it in the audience.’ Well, there were numerous Phantoms and Christines. There was a fellow in a bright red costume that he had spent 10 years making. And it was just elaborate beyond belief. And there was a guy in the front row with a beard, a fake bald pate and his glasses on his head. [See above.] And I thought: This is spooky.”

“I ultimately met up with most of them and they were totally nice people. It’s like Trekkies, you know what I mean? I’ve never had a Trekkie show before and I don’t expect to have a Trekkie show again. Quite astonishing.”
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 am

One of my favorite pictures from the trip: Click
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Scorp wrote:And it was just elaborate beyond belief. And there was a guy in the front row with a beard, a fake bald pate and his glasses on his head. [See above.] And I thought: This is spooky.”
Someone dressed up as HAL PRINCE??? lol!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Welcome to the asylum, Addi! Very Happy

Scorp wrote:
And Raphael, those shots of the sets have come out so well! Thanks for posting. I too like the Palais Garnier façade and I quite like the Il Muto set too. Not too keen on how they expanded the DJT set, but oh well.
Yeah, Kelly said that they wanted more of a castle feel rather than a peasant one. As a result, even the costumes got a good polish to reflect the shift in class hierarchy. I sorta like them both, actually. And showing off the new sets is really going to help fill out the holes in my reference book!

Here's a little article from the arts blog of the New York Times:
Awesome! Hal Prince mentions phantomfett in a NY Times article!

“I ultimately met up with most of them and they were totally nice people. It’s like Trekkies, you know what I mean? I’ve never had a Trekkie show before and I don’t expect to have a Trekkie show again. Quite astonishing.”
Yeah, could you imagine a "Company" convention? It would be a bunch of people running around in regular clothes.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Raphael wrote:Yeah, Kelly said that they wanted more of a castle feel rather than a peasant one. As a result, even the costumes got a good polish to reflect the shift in class hierarchy.
I know I'm a negative pain in the ass now, but the original design (at least costume wise) is not a peasant look, by far. The design shows cavalier-styled men's garbs for Don Juan and Passarino, with paned breeches and doublets, pageboys with similar outfits and swords, women with rich flounced skirts and corset-bodices, and in general rich materials and lots of gold and lace. There is a rustique flair in the use of aprons, and camicia with a corset or waistband overneath, but I don't agree with the idea of the original design depicting low class. Vegas has made some of the costumes bigger, which is not a bad idea on that lovely, grand stage of theirs. But can you tell which one underneath is from Vegas? Is the difference noticeable?

Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_aLas Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_bLas Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_c

But the set design has definitely moved from rustique to overclass, especially by adding the chandelier and replacing the torn bits of fabric with full drapes, and making the staircase lead into a castle rather than looking like an obscure outer staircase. I like the addition of the moorish-styled gothic pointed arches, but the outer frame, with its round shapes, seems a bit... non-Bjørnson. The round and pointed shaped collides, visually, in my eyes. Still love your photos, though. Very Happy

Hal Prince mentioning our very own Red Death in NY Times - that's just too freakin' cool!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:35 pm

operafantomet wrote:
I know I'm a negative pain in the ass now, but the original design (at least costume wise) is not a peasant look, by far.
Maybe the costumes are the *Opera*'s interpretation of peasant garb? I agree, there's not a significant difference between the original costumes and the Vegas ones. Although I'm pretty sure the middle one is the Vegas one (the one that's sporting a necklace).

I like the addition of the moorish-styled gothic pointed arches, but the outer frame, with its round shapes, seems a bit... non-Bjørnson. The round and pointed shaped collides, visually, in my eyes.
To be honest, that's the first time I even noticed the rounded arch of the of the frontmost setpieces. In the course of the show, I don't even recall them being lit to the point that it registers to the eye.

Here are a few more from the Ball -

Phantomfett and me:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_DSCN0987

Michael Lackey and me:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_DSCN0990

And my personal favorite:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 DSCN0989

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Raphael wrote:I agree, there's not a significant difference between the original costumes and the Vegas ones. Although I'm pretty sure the middle one is the Vegas one (the one that's sporting a necklace).

To be honest, that's the first time I even noticed the rounded arch of the of the frontmost setpieces. In the course of the show, I don't even recall them being lit to the point that it registers to the eye.

Here are a few more from the Ball -

Phantomfett and me:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_DSCN0987

Michael Lackey and me:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_DSCN0990

And my personal favorite:
Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Th_DSCN0989

R.
That's a good point - it probably looks different during the show, in different lights. And yes, the middle one is from Vegas (the other ones are from Copenhagen and the US tour) - but apart from fabrics, the difference really is minor.

Your pictures are awesome! I dig the one where you point at eachother, but the other ones are also cool. You and Brianne looks like you're cut out of a true Venetian carnivale - and you look smashing together.... Smile I also like how your garb almost blend with the background, making the mask stand out.

Makes me wanna scream "Brianne! You got a Raphael on you!" lol!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks for the warm welcome & compliments, guys! It is great reading everyone's posts & seeing the pictures. If I'm kind of quiet (well, beyond my usual quietness) it is because I've got a big deadline looming to finish a sculpture & get it molded (I'm a sculptor) before my next trip (a working holiday to NC). But I'll be here lurking when I can. Oh- and if anyone happens to have a pic with me & Meg, and Red Death (Phantomfett's), I'd love to see it, as my sister was busy chatting when we were all getting our picture taken together...

Thanks!

ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind Phan Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 am

Very Happy :geek:

Eechowawa! Oh man that sounds awesome! I so wish I'd been there! Oh well, I'm glad they're planning on doing it again next year. Definitely time to start saving!

And thanks go to all you guys who were there for giving them a big enough turn-out to decide that it would be worth repeating!

Blind Phan

http://www.phantomfemme.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:50 am

ChorusGirl wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome & compliments, guys! It is great reading everyone's posts & seeing the pictures. If I'm kind of quiet (well, beyond my usual quietness) it is because I've got a big deadline looming to finish a sculpture & get it molded (I'm a sculptor) before my next trip (a working holiday to NC). But I'll be here lurking when I can. Oh- and if anyone happens to have a pic with me & Meg, and Red Death (Phantomfett's), I'd love to see it, as my sister was busy chatting when we were all getting our picture taken together...
I've seen one on Facebook, I think it was in Lindsey's profile, from Mandy, but not BY her as she's in the photo (complicated, he-he). A gorgeous one, I must add, you all look so like your characters. I hope it'll be re-posted here (hint-hint jocolor )
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:55 am

Phantom Shadowwalker wrote:Very Happy :geek:

Eechowawa! Oh man that sounds awesome! I so wish I'd been there! Oh well, I'm glad they're planning on doing it again next year. Definitely time to start saving!

And thanks go to all you guys who were there for giving them a big enough turn-out to decide that it would be worth repeating!
Agreed, so cool that it will be repeated! Hooray for you guys attending and making it so cool they want to do it again next year.

I DO wish they'll hold a similar event on this side of the pond once (I'm thinking London, the original home and the original version), but I like that they repeat it in Vegas as well. Probably easier to host + gather people there, and also a cool version to see. Very Happy
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 am

Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 Op0cc7

Las Vegas Phan week - Page 2 2n8d0ev

I'm planning to have the first installment of my massive Phantom Fans Week blogging spree up sometime tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that! It's taking so long partially because I have to insert so many apples into my photographs...
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Raphael wrote:
Yeah, could you imagine a "Company" convention? It would be a bunch of people running around in regular clothes.

Hey, I'd go to that! Laughing

Anyhow, I'm seriously enjoying everyone's photos and stories. I couldn't even consider attending this year, but...well...who knows about next year? Though I'd have to figure out what to do with my partner James...I don't think I could drag him to a Phantom event like this and, yikes, the idea of letting him loose in Vegas is affraid
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Phantom Shadowwalker wrote:Very Happy :geek:

Eechowawa!
Hey, who let the ewok in here? Laughing

operafantomet wrote:
Your pictures are awesome! I dig the one where you point at eachother, but the other ones are also cool. You and Brianne looks like you're cut out of a true Venetian carnivale - and you look smashing together.... Smile I also like how your garb almost blend with the background, making the mask stand out.

Makes me wanna scream "Brianne! You got a Raphael on you!" lol!
Yeah, I hate having my picture taken, so when I do, might as well make it a silly one. But with Brianne... well, look at her. How could you not want to do something a little classier? Now I'm on a hunt for baroque costume patterns for next year's outfit...

Oh, word of advice. Now matter how grandiose and elegant your costume may make you feel, never act out that role when pointed out across a distance to an actor you've never formally met (read: Kristen Hertzenberg's timid wave and "scaryfanscaryfanscaryfanscaryfan" look on her face). Just sayin'.

Mandy, next time I'll be sure to bring an apple mask I can put on whenever we take photos so I can save you the trouble Smile

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Hey Mandy, you're article's up:

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2009/sep/23/hanging-phans/

And you heard it here first: "Devoted Phantom phans are hotter than Trekkies"

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:52 pm

I just made a very strange, indescribable sound. And my eyes are a couple of times bigger than they usually are.
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:24 pm

You guys are fast becoming famous. <Goes off to find her autograph book> queen

Last edited by MasqPhan on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Terrific article!

And I love this little phrase...

the peculiar obsession Laughing
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 am

MasqPhan wrote:Jason Hammond is a performer that ironically I've been listening to on YouTube for a few years. I noticed him standing in the registration line ahead of me so I was surprised to get to meet him. I remember thinking that he should be the one picked to be the Phantom and was glad when I checked his YouTube page and saw that he really did get to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jmham1

I think Ashley had been standing behind me in line. I saw some pics and they looked great together.
Lord, he's a ham. Sings the bits in the wrong keys, but a decent voice.

I hope they do do another next year, and that I can actually go this time. Doubtful, but hopeful.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:12 am

I chalk it up to giddy phan excitement at a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but to each their own.

Photos from the Cast Q&A sessions as well as the Masquerade Ball. I don't think these have been posted yet: Vegas Deluxe.com

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:27 am

Raphael wrote:I chalk it up to giddy phan excitement at a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but to each their own.
True. I'd probably have been the same way. It's literally been a dream of mine for years to be made up by an actual Phantom makeup artist in the actual costumes, makeup, and mask.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:44 am

I love all the pictures and articles that have been shared-- and thanks to those who did share! I hope I'll be able to make it next year, since school might be less likely to get in the way? Nevertheless, I'm in love with all the costumes you guys have worked on!

and I may or may not want to hunt Phantomfett down for his costume...
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:29 am

Christine's Shadow wrote:
and I may or may not want to hunt Phantomfett down for his costume...

Probably NOT a good idea....

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 am

Hey everyone...

I have the Masquerade recap up on my YouTube page (link), as well as the first part (of six) of Sam Fleming's costume seminar. Unfortunately my computer crashed this evening, so it'll be at least next week before the rest of that series and the Hal Prince speech are posted. Crying or Very sad I hate technology. I also hate packing. Just sayin'...

And regarding the comments of the fan who got selected for the Phantom makeup/costume bit: Yes he was hamming it up, but anyone else in that situation would have done the same thing. He is a very nice guy and expressed sincerely on several occasions how much of a dream come true it was. I'm extremely happy for him to have had that opportunity. There's absolutely no reason to be critical.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next