Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Phantom Phantasy Tour

+2
Phantomlove
Raphael
6 posters

Go down

The Phantom Phantasy Tour Empty The Phantom Phantasy Tour

Post  Raphael Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:32 pm

A thread for compiling travel information to create the ultimate Phantom fan itinerary ('cuz we'd all love to go one one of these someday!). So let's start with a travel destination concerning the man who started it all:

1. Pay Your Respects to the Master

I'll be in Nice, France on May 16th, and I understand that Gaston Leroux's was buried there. Does anyone have any info on exactly where his grave is located and any advice/info for travelers if you've been there before?

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

The Phantom Phantasy Tour Empty Re: The Phantom Phantasy Tour

Post  Phantomlove Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 pm

The graveyard is up on a big mountain. I don't remember the name of it now, but I'm sure Scorp does. The actual grave itself was really easy to find. It's just to the left of the graveyard's entrance.

Then you have the house where he lived of course. I believe the street is called "Boulevard Gambetta" but I can't remember the number. Scorp?

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun May 02, 2010 8:47 am

Phantomlove wrote:The graveyard is up on a big mountain. I don't remember the name of it now, but I'm sure Scorp does. The actual grave itself was really easy to find. It's just to the left of the graveyard's entrance.

Then you have the house where he lived of course. I believe the street is called "Boulevard Gambetta" but I can't remember the number. Scorp?

I've already spoken to Raphael as I missed this post but for the benefit of anyone else reading, here's a copy-and-paste job:

The cemetery is on a big hill and is called Cimetière du château (I assume because a castle must have stood on the hill at some point?). It shouldn't be too difficult to find. My suggestion would be to ask at the tourist office in town. (I went seven years ago so my memory of what the street was called to get there is sketchy).

Leroux's grave is easy to find as it's the first on the left when you enter. Here's a pic so you know what it looks like:

The Phantom Phantasy Tour Grave1

Leroux's last residence in Nice (with a plaque on the exterior wall) can be found at 53 Boulevard Gambetta. At first I thought this was where he wrote Phantom, but further research indicates he didn't, sadly. All I know is that he wrote Phantom in Nice in the area called Mont Boron (then he moved to the house at Boulevard Gambetta). But I don't have the address of the property in Mont Boron; still haven't found it. Maybe it'll turn up in the archives at the Bibliothèque nationale in Paris; planning on doing another raid on them in June.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Scorp, thanks for posting all this really great info. The photo of Leroux's grave is particularly wonderful.

Is the bronze statue of Gaston himself or of other family members?

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Thu May 20, 2010 8:48 am

Visited Leroux's grave and said a silent "thank you" for writing a story that's brought so much into my life.

Didn't take a picture, though, since I saw a giant sign at the entrance that apparently said "no photography" amongst lots of other things they don't let you do. Only a few people around, so I probably could have taken one without any issues, but I'm rather sensitive about photography in churches, cemeteries and the like.

But Lil' Erik (aka Plush!Erik) did take a pic outside the cemetery to prove that he did make it all the way there.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  InkedAlchemist Thu May 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Raphael wrote:Visited Leroux's grave and said a silent "thank you" for writing a story that's brought so much into my life.

Didn't take a picture, though, since I saw a giant sign at the entrance that apparently said "no photography" amongst lots of other things they don't let you do. Only a few people around, so I probably could have taken one without any issues, but I'm rather sensitive about photography in churches, cemeteries and the like.

But Lil' Erik (aka Plush!Erik) did take a pic outside the cemetery to prove that he did make it all the way there.

R.

Awesome Raph. Smile
InkedAlchemist
InkedAlchemist

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 am

This looks very cool - a new attraction opening in Paris where actors role play the city's famous legends, including that of the Phantom. Opening in April. They're recruiting actors now if anyone's interested.

http://www.lemanoirdeparis.com/en/home/
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Raphael wrote:Visited Leroux's grave and said a silent "thank you" for writing a story that's brought so much into my life.

R.

Wow, you are awesome, and it speaks well that you respected the No Photography, especially in any revered site, good for you

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down