Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Les Misérables

+42
purplehaze93
LesMizPhan
charleygirl
thegenuinebeauty
meglett
TheMaskedLion
StrangerThanUDreamt
ladygodiva
exopotamie
AlwaysChristine
phantomphan1992
Porteña
Bunvendor
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
Princess
Aminta
MaskedLion
Raphael
PMB1034
alaron
Deathshead1
Mandrake
LadyCDaae
phantom10906
Miss von Krolock
ML6
Viscountess
Phantomlove
justin1976
starryeyed
Scorp
phantomgirl110
Callie Daae
Christine's Shadow
Helen
SenorSwanky
Paula74
operafantomet
THEFISH<3
IamErik771
EarlFan
46 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Les Misérables - Page 2 Empty Re: Les Misérables

Post  EarlFan Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:42 am

Christine's Shadow wrote:apparently this was announced ages ago on broadway.com

Les Mis Movie (apparently)

I would have said "It's about time!" but considering the direction most movie musicals have gone off in *coughjoelcough* part of me worries greatly.

It would be great to have a movie version of the musical but not if it goes in the same direction as the Phantom 2004 movie. Then I'm better without it because it would be such a huge disappointment.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:52 am

EarlFan wrote:It would be great to have a movie version of the musical but not if it goes in the same direction as the Phantom 2004 movie. Then I'm better without it because it would be such a huge disappointment.
Yes, and it may also be a standard "outsiders" will judge the musical by. And I hate that! Especially when one version (be it movie or stage musical) is radically better than the other, and the two products are discussed as if they were the same. Grrrrr....
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:12 pm

So according to JOJ on Twitter, the upcoming tour isn't going to open with the prison scene. A few people are speculating it might follow the Quebec production's lead with elderly Valjean reading his final letter to Cosette...so the rest of the story would become a flashback. Not sure if I'd like that.

And, also according to his tweets, this may be the first time a Cameron Mackintosh Valjean has not had a beard. I have to admit I was hoping the Walnut was going for a no-beard look last year.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Paula74 wrote:So according to JOJ on Twitter, the upcoming tour isn't going to open with the prison scene. A few people are speculating it might follow the Quebec production's lead with elderly Valjean reading his final letter to Cosette...so the rest of the story would become a flashback. Not sure if I'd like that.

And, also according to his tweets, this may be the first time a Cameron Mackintosh Valjean has not had a beard. I have to admit I was hoping the Walnut was going for a no-beard look last year.
Huh? Why mess with success? If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. Same problem I had with the revival orchestrations and other changes.

As far as a potential movie goes, I've long imagined what it would be like, but it's even more challenging to do than Phantom, which despite being very cinema-friendly in its staging, pacing, score, and story, was somehow f'd up beyond belief. So they'd better have a huge budget and hire a serious creative team who are committed to making it a realistic period piece with a stellar cast that can sing AND act.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:33 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
Paula74 wrote:So according to JOJ on Twitter, the upcoming tour isn't going to open with the prison scene. A few people are speculating it might follow the Quebec production's lead with elderly Valjean reading his final letter to Cosette...so the rest of the story would become a flashback. Not sure if I'd like that.

Huh? Why mess with success? If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. Same problem I had with the revival orchestrations and other changes.

The more I think about it, the less I'd like the whole flashback concept. Another rumor, though, is that they're not going with the flashback but with just a different setting - such as the galleys - for the prologue.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:55 pm

I'm not familiar with the flashback version, but it sounds a bit... old... Been there, done that, in a way.

Will be fun to see what they have in store for us!

I'm debating on whether to see Les Mis in Copenhagen on November 21. or November 28.... *ponders*
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 am

more Les Mis randoms (courtesy of JOJ)

lighting set up, not set up, but getting ready to be packed/set up: http://tweetphoto.com/pmoac4gi

"quite a lot of it". just a bit. my inner lighting designer is trying not to eat the screen.

edit: re-tweet from JOJ. my bad.
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 pm

So, if everything goes as planned, I'm seeing Les Mis in Copenhagen November 28th. Very Happy

There are no snazzy souvenirs on their web site (at least not anything I could find), but I know they have souvenir brochures. Should I pick up a copy for anyone? I'm thinking they are DK 100, as the Phantom ones were, and shipping will be app. half that amount.

Mia Karlsson is scheduled to be on as Cosette, yay! I'm told Flemming Enevold (Valjean) has been out due to illness, not sure if he's back and/or if Tomas Kofod is coverning all performances. I love seeing understudies, but I really want to see one of the principals (Enevold/Kofod) in the role! I X my fingers...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Ooooh, must add: stopped by Oslo Nye Teater today. I saw Les Mis there in April, and forgot to buy a brochure. Asked to buy one today in the ticket office. The lady working there said she had one laying around somewhere. She found it and gave it to me, for free. OK, might not be the biggest thing ever, but that was really kind! Very Happy

Usually these state supported theatres puts lots of effort into the musical brochures. When the musicals are based on books, they get some professors to write about the author and his/her works (and also the context). They've done that for the Les Mis one. They also have another professor discussing the revolts in early 19th century France.

For the Jesus Christ Superstar brochure, they had some professor in religion talking about Jesus and Judas and different beliefs through the centuries (especially about the gnostic Judas gospel).

I do like to read what the creators behind the musical means/thinks (and that is in those brochures too), but I think it's so refreshing to get an outsiders view on the material, and to put it into a context. I think it's a nice way to combine the entertainment industry and academia.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin1976 Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Would any fans in London be kind enough to take a pic of the new Les Mis christmas poster? I'd really like to see it!!!

justin1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 am

justin1976 wrote:Would any fans in London be kind enough to take a pic of the new Les Mis christmas poster? I'd really like to see it!!!

I keep forgetting my camera plus I feel someone else should do it as I'm too embarrassed to stop during rush hour on the tube to take a pic of a poster! Laughing I really like the new Christmas one for Phantom, which is virtually identical save for the logo.

Anyone seen Simon Bowman as Valjean yet? Didn't he do the role many moons ago? I saw his Phantom back in the day at Her Majesty's...wasn't the best person I've seen in the role but it was only my second time, so I didn't really care.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 am

Scorp wrote:Anyone seen Simon Bowman as Valjean yet? Didn't he do the role many moons ago? I saw his Phantom back in the day at Her Majesty's...wasn't the best person I've seen in the role but it was only my second time, so I didn't really care.
Never saw him live, but has heard/seen clips of both his Phantom and his Raoul. I liked his Raoul a lot, especially the Final Lair, and thought to myself that he would make an interesting Phantom. I was appalled when I saw how he had handled the Phantom role! Just... not good. So I am also curious about his Valjean.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 am

Some pics from the 2009 Oslo production at Oslo Nye Teater:

Les Misérables - Page 2 Th_lesmis6Les Misérables - Page 2 Th_lesmis2
Fantine. The role was shared between the lady in the pictures (Pia Tjelta) and Trine Svensen. The latter is an awesome musical artist, the former an awesome movie actor. I only saw Tjelta in the role. She is a good actress, and she brought a nice vulnerability into the role, but the voice was sub par. She didn't seem comfortable with the musical theatre medium either, she overacted in places.

Les Misérables - Page 2 Th_lesmis1
My absolute favourite photo from the production!! Dennis Storhøi (Thénardier) is awesome in every role he's doing - I've seen him in classic Ibsen plays, I've seen him in sitcoms and I've seen him in multiple musicals. Versatile as few, and such a stage presence! His Thénardier was one of the highlights of this production.

Les Misérables - Page 2 Th_lesmis3
Eponine (Nina Lundseie). Good voice, but I really couldn't care less about her Eponine... The role of Marius was shared between Christian Ingebrigtsen (former A1 star) and Hans Marius Hoff Mittet. I saw the latter one and was very happy with that. He's an awesome musical artist.

Les Misérables - Page 2 Th_lesmis4
The set for this scene was awesome. Lots of real water on stage (seems to be the latest thing in Scandinavian musical scenography...), and such a.... dirty look. This production's Javert was really to my liking, while Valjean... eeeh...

Les Misérables - Page 2 Th_lesmis5
What I liked best about the production was the set design. The stage is seriously tiny, way too tiny for such a grand musical. But the scenographer had solved in in a tableau like frame design. Awesome! Wish I had better pics of it.

Lots of more pics here: http://www.oslonye.no/forestillinger/15188.html

I have mixed feelings about this production. Mostly because of the cast. Loved Javert, Cosette and Thénardier! Liked Marius and Madame Thénardier. Neutral to Eponine and Enjolras. Disliked Valjean and Fantine. Loved the scenography, liked the costumes and the orchestra. Disliked the... energy, the feel of the whole production. Just didn't click with me, with a few exceptions. So all in all, very mixed.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:38 pm

What happened to the good Fantines?

The one I saw in Oslo was not good at all. I've heard the one in Copenhagen now, and I just didn't fancy her at all. Mostly the singing that bugs me, not very convincing head voice nor low register. And I didn't care for Daphne Rubin-Vega in the Broadway revival either.

Seems like rough, down-to-earth Fantines are the latest rage. And historically it probably makes sense. I mean, poor factory worker turned prostitute would make an impact on any life... But the score is written for one with some range, and at places also a soft(er) approach. That's how I see/hear it, anyway. I don't mind a certain roughness in style, but not all the time.

Hmmm... Looking forward to hear what Lea Salonga will make out of the role...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:28 am

operafantomet wrote:
Scorp wrote:Anyone seen Simon Bowman as Valjean yet? Didn't he do the role many moons ago? I saw his Phantom back in the day at Her Majesty's...wasn't the best person I've seen in the role but it was only my second time, so I didn't really care.
Never saw him live, but has heard/seen clips of both his Phantom and his Raoul. I liked his Raoul a lot, especially the Final Lair, and thought to myself that he would make an interesting Phantom. I was appalled when I saw how he had handled the Phantom role! Just... not good. So I am also curious about his Valjean.
I also don't like his Phantom, but what I've...heard...of his Valjean is pretty impressive. Two good Valjeans in a row after the horror of Drew Sarich.

Looking forward? When/where is she slated to do the role again? She seemed pretty good in the otherwise mostly lackluster Broadway revival.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:10 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:
Looking forward? When/where is she slated to do the role again? She seemed pretty good in the otherwise mostly lackluster Broadway revival.
Sorry, Freudian slip! Meant Madalena Alberto in the upcoming International/25th Anniversary tour

Some video clips from the 2009 Oslo production:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfoBZ87W7G4 (Bring him home, Master of the House, various interviews)
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:45 pm

I hope we will get a recording with the 25th anniversary cast. My dream would be a DVD release of the whole thing but maybe that's too much to ask Rolling Eyes Here's some more info from Jon Robyns, if you haven't heard it already.

• We begin on the convict ship "Orion"
  • We have real bails of hay in the farm section of the prologue
  • The design incorporates more than just Hugo's writing
EarlFan
EarlFan

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:34 am

How does the show begin any other way than it does already? Does this involve new and rearranged music and libretto?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Just arrived home from Wonderful Copenhagen (and Helsingborg, I should add...). Me and Josefine went to see "Les Miserables" at Det Ny Teater, one of my favourite theatres and one who's very serious about musicals. We talked about it, it's amazing that this theatre keeps putting on these huuuuge musical productions, equalling West End and Broadway in both quality and size - but with 1/10 of people to sell tickets to. And they seem to do well. Just wow.

I might write a longer review on Les Mis later on, but here's some short comments:

We had Tomas "Tomas!" Kofod as Valjean. He's been doing basically all performances the last couple of weeks because Flemming Enevold is out sick. Tomas has a gorgeous falsetto, I think I might have sobbed a tad during "Bring him home". My God, it was beautiful. He's also most convincing as old (something I also noticed in Phantom). I do think he lacked "ooomph" in some parts, though. He hit the notes well, but some places I would have wanted more volume. But excellent acting, very mild and Jesus-like Valjean, with the right amount of frustration and anger when needed. All in all a Valjean I loved.

Stuff I loved:
*Javert's suicide!!! Made me gasp.
*Orchestra. Grand sound, very rhythmic. So much nicer than the 2009 Oslo production
*The "proscenium" and French flag
*Cosette (Mia Karlsson). I could drown in her voice. And good scenes with Marius.
*Tomas Kofod's falsetto. Should probably use a lot of exclamation points here, but I'm saving them for:
*Enjolras!!!!! (John Martin Bengtsson). Had never heard or seen him before. He soooooo stole the show
*Enjolras' costume. I have a Hussar fetish, OK? Smile (ask Josefine...)
*Mia Karlsson as whore, mwhahaha. Very amusing contrast to her Christine Daaé, and with a corset from h€ll
*Javert. Loved Morten Staugaard's look in this role, and he has a nice, deeeep voice
*My nemesis Kim H. Henriksen (former Reyer) as u/s Thénardier. He was so good in that role. Really!
*Little Cosette. A well-singing, well-acting child (rare, if you ask me...), and she looked a lot like the logo.
*The bishop of Digne. He was... enigmatic. In an odd, but also good way.
*Chorus parts, they were so unison and on time.
*Barricade set. This is always a "make or break". This was make, big time.

Not so much (though not necessarily bad):
*The "waterfall" they had bragged about A modest sprinkle of water, if you ask me...
*The set design overall. Very static, with sets either going up-and-down, or back-and-forth. Unimaginative.
*The costumes. They didn't look very 19.th century (at least not the women). Also bad fittings, and just... bleeeh.
*Madame Thénardier. She just didn't grab all the good comic relief options the role has, and hardly got any laughs
*Little Gavroche. Cute as a pie, good acting, not at all a good singer)
*Eponine. Very whatever
*The factory chief. He was way too young and cute to be a convincing sleazeball.
*Marius. Loved his chemistry with Cosette, but I think his singing was too varying in quality for such a big part
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Det Ny Teater November 28th 2009

Evening performance of Les Miserables

CAST:

Jean Valjean: Tomas "Tomas!" Kofod (alternate as such, though he's been principal for some weeks)
Javert: Morten Staugaard
Eponine: Maria Lucia Rosenberg
Fantine: Sanna Johansson
Cosette: Mia Karlsson
Marius: Johannes Nymark
Thénardier: Kim H. Henriksen (u/s)
Madame Thénardier: Anne-Grethe Bjarup Riis
Enjolras: John Martin Bengtsson
Bishop of Digne: Martin Loft

+ many others...

The sets looked very impressive before the show started. They had made a sort of proscenium, with wooden buildings and French balconies embracing the scene. There was also a giant "torn" French flag at stage left, with the "Cosette" logo, where various info was projected during the show. I loved that concept.

Les Misérables - Page 2 Lesmis3

I got a good laugh when I saw the cast list for this performance. Those of you who read my reviews of the (many) Phantom performances I saw at Det Ny Teater this spring will remember my great dislike for Kim H. Henriksen's Reyer. And all the other minor roles he did, for that matter... But as I said to Josefine, I think I loved to hate him in the end, and that I would be disappointed if he stopped annoy me... Razz Anyhow, for this performance he was on as u/s Thénardier. What to think of it? I'll come back to that...

ACT 1:

PROLOGUE
A bit odd chain-gang intro, with them coming up from trapdoors. What were they doing down there? But excellent scene as such. I especially liked how they were syncronised in their chain-gang walk, with one heavy step and one lighter one. Nice effect.

I spotted Tomas Kofod immediately. He's rather tall compared to the others!

Didn't know what to expect of Morten Staugaard's Javert. Last time I saw him he was a très goofy manager in Phantom. But he was excellent. He had such a scary look in the role! Almost demonic, but not necessarily in an evil way. Just.... not a guy you'd want to mess with, and especially not one to haunt you for the rest of your life.

BISHOP'S HOUSE (Biskoppens hus)
I'm used to mild and/or very serious bishops. This bishop was.... how to describe him. A bit enigmatic. He had this strange, little smile, almost if he was amused, but not quite... I think he liked watching Valjean's reactions... Dunno how to describe it...

I also liked how Valjean partly interacted with the bishop and partly with the audience in this scene, fun to take part in his "inner dialogue".

AT THE END OF THE DAY (Efter endnu en dag)
Noticed very little was going on with the sets. Basically stuff going up/down, or in/out. Didn't think the gate for the factory worked very well... Just a gate and a tad wall placed on centre stage. Too minimalistic for my liking.

Very good chorus here! But I noticed that I liked the Norwegian 2009 translation a lot more, as it was rougher. A bit of cursing and very working-class. The Danish one seemed moe polished, milder. Didn't quite believe that they were as low in society as they claimed.

Spotted Fantine and greatly disliked her costume. A tad too modern-looking Regency dress with a high bust, but an apron tied around her actual waist. It gave her such a silly silhouette. Her wig was also clearly two parts: one cropped (for "selling hair" scene) and one long. Sanna Johansson acted the part very well and had a lovely voice, but no vocal powers. There were times I wanted to squeeze out a lot more sound from her, especially in "I dreamed a dream".

The factory chief was way too young and cute for the role, which ruined quite a bit. But the ladies were wonderfully bitchy.

LOVELY LADIES (Skønne damer)
Lovely lovely ladies (pun intended). Spotted Mia Karlsson in a corset of doom! I don't know how she dared move at all, cause her "ladies" looked like they were on their way out... Tee-hee.

Again a strong ensemble number, so unison and so much good acting going on in the people not in focus.

The runaway cart scene was probably as it should be, but it annoys me. How come everyone just stands there, watching, when Valjean is lifting it, while everybody assist after the man is saved? And why did the cart look like it didn't weigh anything at all at that point? Whatever...

However, the interaction between Valjean and Javert was strong. Quality acting, very intense without the grand gestures.

WHO AM I? (Hvem er jeg?)
Maybe it was after I saw Tomas Kofod play Jesus in a movie I got this idea, but he has such a Jesus appearance on stage... Especially as Valjean. And especially in this scene. In a good way! He has a beautiful voice, but lacked a tad ooomph here. Wished for more power.

FANTINE'S DEATH (Fantines død)
I liked how they used the revolving stage (if I understood it correctly, the theatre's original 1908 stage) for this scene. Again lovely acting from Sanna Johansson, and if Kofod's Jesus appearance was strong in "Who am I?" it was even stronger here. Quite beautiful to watch.

Loved the interaction between Javert and Valjean here too. Sat close enough (row 6) to see their facial expressions, and the looks they sent eachother were chilling.

CASTLE ON A CLOUD (Himlens kongeslot)
I said to Josefine before the show started that I usually dislike children in musicals. Cause whereas there are lots of cute kids with cute voices, there are few that genuinely impress me. This Cosette, however, both sung and acted well. And they had made her look a lot like the logo. Nice.

Was disappointed with Madame Thénardier. She didn't stand out in any way, and didn't grab the many opportunities for the comic reliefs the role offers. She just.... sung. And tried to be funny every now and then. But she added nothing.

MASTER OF THE HOUSE (Herre i sit hus)
Kim H. Henriksen as Thénardier.... I expected the worst. Hated his Reyer. Or, loved to hate his Reyer... But no need to worry. He was excellent as Thénardier. A bit younger and smaller than your average Thénardier, but a nice mix of bizarre, charming and creepy. Got lots of laughs.

The set was okay, but again a tad too minimalistic for my liking. Or rather, too ornamented to be minimalistic, but too little details to be a full set. And the in-between look didn't quite work. Too clean and polished as well. But again, the cast was excellent, and the orchestra so rich-sounding. Loved the "poshy" lady, and loved how Madame Thénardier ran away with a customer's bag between her ankles... Mwhahaha. Only time she made me laugh. Her solo bit in this song, however, didn't work at all.

BARGAIN-WALTZ (Thénardiers vals)
I've seen four highly different productions of Les Mis; two in Norway, the original in London, and this one in Copenhagen. And the "la-la-la"ing between Cosette and Valjean has always given me the creeps... So... pedophile. Except here. I don't know why this one was different. Don't think they DID anything very differently. But... It didn't give me the creeps. Blame it on Kofod's Jesus appearance. Laughing

LOOK DOWN
Young Gavroche was cute as a pie! He looked Indian in appearance, he did an unpolished street boy, and I loved his acting. But his singing was weak... A surprisingly weak voice, and it sounded like he forgot some lines. I'v seen better Gavroches in semi-professional productions, gimme a break.

That's basically all I remember of this scene... That, plus Cosette looking cute when chatting with a street vendor.

STARS (Stjerner)
Never heard Morten Staugaard singing solo before, was most impressed. He has some gorgeous deep notes, and his looks... Loved it. But I stand with what I wrote on POL: I don't understand this character at all! Get a life! Or a real job.

RED AND BLACK (Rødt og sort)
Enjolras!!!

Like "OMG Enjolras!!". What a stage presence, what a voice! He reminded me a lot of Bryn Terfel, but a seriously handsome version. I couldn't take my eyes off him, and was relieved that Josefine seemed to think the same. He was star quality!

Good students overall, though I thought Marius had a weak upper register. He seemed so young and wimpy, and although that's quite suitable for the role I was a tad disappointed with the varying quality of his singing.

CAN YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING? (Kan du høre folkets sang?)
Another great ensemble number. And... Enjolras!!!

IN MY LIFE (I mitt liv)
Mia Karlsson (Cosette) has such a beautiful voice. Feather-light, but yet with power, and able to sing both recitatives and the grand, soaring songs. Which of course is perfect for Cosette.

It's always bizarre to see a former POTO "love" combo play father-and-daugher, and this was the case here too. I couldn't free myself from seeing super-Raoul Kofod and favourite-Christine Karlsson in the Cosette-Valjean interaction. You know how it is...

Set here was also bleeeeh. Same basic set as all of the first act, with an addition of a gate, a low wall, a column and some ivy hanging from the flies. Just didn't fancy the concept.

A HEART FULL OF LOVE (Mitt hjerte er fuldt)
Loved the chemistry between Marius and Cosette. They were so cute together, a bit teenager-shy but also a growing, vibrating love. Karlsson's top note = stop it, woman! You make me insanely jealous.... The blue dress did not, however. It didn't look period enough to defend the horrible 1830's style, but it wasn't funky enough to escape the need of an historical look either.

I should probably mention Eponine. Problem is that she did nothing for me... Good voice? Sure. Good acting? Probably. I can't pin-point anything I disliked. But... Very American Idol approach to everything. Although it should be added that many dig her in the role, so maybe it's just me. Or maybe she had an off night, her understudy had been on the previous days. But the little I heard and saw of her understudy made me wish SHE had been on instead.

ONE DAY MORE (En dag til)
Enjolras!!!

INTERMISSION:
Noticed the wheels and patent for the Phantom chandelier is still intact.... And there's still room for the golden angel in the proscenium... Just sayin'...

ACT 2:

ON MY OWN (Alene nu igen)
See "A heart full of love"....

BARRICADE / A LITTLE FALL OF RAIN (Barrikaden / Natteregn)
Wonderful barricade, probably the set that impressed me the most. I've said it a million times already, but the ensemble scenes was really to my liking. So also here. And Eponine's death was rather touching, only place I though she was excellent. All the blood was also convincing. I'm so curious on how they're able to clean Marius' white shirt for every performance!

BRING HIM HOME (Bring ham hjem)
Tomas.... Kofod's..... falsette....!!! OMG beautiful. What a touching rendition.

The rest of the battle scene seemed very brief, and both Gavroche and Enjolras seemed to die very quickly. Maybe more realistic, but I love me some melodrama in musical theatre....

THE SEWERS (I kloakkerne)
The famous waterfall set. Eh? An overdimentioned pipe with a sprinkle of water in front. Disappointed! But good scene. Valjean's carrying around of Marius looked very realistic, and Thénardier was wonderfully bizarre.

The theme song when Javert shows up started amuse me a little. /random comment

JAVERT'S SUICIDE (Javerts selvmord)
The floor covered with smoke, a bridge/sidewalk with metal railing and lamps a bit above the stage, and a confused and broken-down Javert. His suicide: standing on the railing (or next to it seems more likely...), facing the audience, looking like he is about to jump, and then just..... falling backwards, with his arms out. Very proper for this steep character, and it looked phenomenal! I don't know how he dare just fall backwards, from such a height. I mean, he's landing on his back! One of the best Javert suicides I've seen.

EMPTY CHAIRS ON EMPTY TABLES (Tomme borde, tomme stoler)
This song got lots of applause. It was nice. Not phenomenal, but nice. I love this tune, and the "shadows" in the background was very well executed. Enjolras!!

EVERY DAY (Hver ny dag)
Tomas Kofod do the part "old man" so well, both in Phantom and here. And I felt so sorry for his aging Valjean.

Cosette and Marius was as cute in second act as the first act.

THE WEDDING (Brylluppet)
I've always loved the tune the guests are singing. It sounds different from the rest of the score, somehow, while yet blending well in. Nice choreography here, but the set... a silly, flat plastic chandelier coming down from above, and a cheap-looking set in the background. Whaaaat? Shocked

Both Thénardiers was very good here, but you must be rather stinky to NOT make this scene work... Marius also seemed more majure, somehow. Cosette's wedding dress and veil was... how to put it... not to my liking at all.... That goes for most of the costumes in this production. Very beige, very unflattering in cut (and that's just not my dislike for the 1830's fashion, I recognize good costume design when I see it). I don't think there was one single garb I desired, and few I found seriously good. A couple of the students, one or two whores, and that's it.

VALJEAN'S DEATH (Valjeans død)
Saaaad scene. Can't remember that this has moved me as much in the past. The acting between Cosette and Valjean was wonderful, and when the shadows from the past started appearing I noticed a tear on my cheek. Seriously.

CAN YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING? (Folkets sang)
Great finale. Very strong singing, very unison, very powerful.

I don't think I have much to add. They got a standing ovation pretty quickly, but the applause lasted shorter than what Phantom usually got. That might be due to how they "held back" the lead roles (Carlotta - Phantom) until the last minute, though. Here they pesented the ensemble in two groups, and the rest of the roles rather quick. Or was it just me? Dunno.

We ended up on the same train back to Sweden as conductor Per Engström and.... Enjolras!!! Laughing Ha-ha-ha. Luckilly I wasn't completely star struck. I told him he was utterly fantastic on stage, but not (I think) in a fan-girly way. Although I liked the cast in general, he was in a league of his own. You could place him on any stage in any country, and he would steal the show. Fantastic!

So... all in all a very nice theatre experience. This "Les Mis" was rather disappointing in looks (which one wouldn't think from the picture I've posted), but very impressive in sound. And I do prefer the latter to dominate. Which it luckilly did. But it wasn't the usual Det Ny Teater standard I'm used to. Usually they impress in all ways possible; cast, orchestra, sets, lyrics, costumes.... This production seemed a bit uneven. But definitely worth seeing!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 pm

I agree with everything you said in your review Operafantomet. I just want to add that the many visible lights on the set really annoyed me.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Phantomlove wrote:I agree with everything you said in your review Operafantomet. I just want to add that the many visible lights on the set really annoyed me.
Oh, had blocked those out already. SOOO annoying! How can they place modern spotlight in what's supposed to be old French wooden buildings?? At first I though it was because we sat so close to the stage, but.... no. They must have been visible from most stall seats, and many of the balcony/box/tiers seats as well.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin1976 Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 pm

I love that picture! I like the logo projected onto the flag. I'm wondering if the new 25th anniversary tour will incorporate some similar design elements?

justin1976

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:27 pm

justin1976 wrote:I love that picture! I like the logo projected onto the flag. I'm wondering if the new 25th anniversary tour will incorporate some similar design elements?
Won't they use the original design for the tour (with some eventual upgrades)?

Might be of less interest than when she shared the role of Christine with another, but Mia Karlsson is good on updating her website with performance schedule: http://miakarlsson.com/calendar.php
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin1976 Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 am

The new tour has been completely redesigned, only the costumes will remain the same. There is no revolve and the prologue begins on a galley ship.

justin1976

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 am

I knew about the changed start, but I thought they still had a basis in the old design when adding new stuff. So the sets are all brand new, eh? Will be interesting to see. Glad they keep the same costumes, though... I've seen four totally different Les Mis productions, and the original is still my favourite in terms of costume design.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:07 am

operafantomet wrote:
ONE DAY MORE (En dag til)
Enjolras!!!
That's possibly the best review of any song I've ever read. Laughing
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 am

*giggles*

I think you would agree, had you been there. Laughing

ETA: reading reviews over at musicals.net, it seems the London production also has one of these OMG!Enjolras!!!! at the moment. Funny.

I came across a Korean (?) review of the Danish production. Obviously I don't understand a word, can't even read the text, but there's a better picture of how the proscenium looks from a distance:
http://lexicat.egloos.com/1654305

Anyone who reads Korean here? Kinda curious on whether it's a positive or negative review... Maybe I'll try Google's language tools!

Last edited by operafantomet on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:02 pm

operafantomet wrote:

Anyone who reads Korean here? Kinda curious on whether it's a positive or negative review... Maybe I'll try Google's language tools!

I wish I did, I'm curious to find out what it says too
EarlFan
EarlFan

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:14 pm

I tried the Google translator, and there were lots of Korean words that was not translated, so it was a bit hard to get an idea of what the person really meant. But it seemed to be a quite generic review. Mostly positive, though they/he/she found Tomas "Tomas!" Kofod a bit young for the role of Valjean. There was also a remark about the orchestra being very up-tempo. Don't agree with that!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum