Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage

+2
Scorp
Callie Daae
6 posters

Go down

The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage Empty The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage

Post  Callie Daae Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:41 pm

The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage By Marcus Tylor.

What's the book like? I really wanna get it.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage Empty Re: The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage

Post  Scorp Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:37 pm

Amazing and worth every penny. Shouldn't this be on the ALW board though?
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage Empty Re: The Phantom of the Opera, the First Year Backstage

Post  Callie Daae Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Scorp wrote:Amazing and worth every penny. Shouldn't this be on the ALW board though?

Oh ya you're right, I wasn't sure where to put it. lol Since I'm asking about a book, I thought I'd just put it in here.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:48 am

I'm a bit mixed in my view.

First: pictures = fantastic. Really fantastic! Eerie, haunting, beautiful, amusing. The faces we all know so well, just a little closer. Lots of small anecdotes and interesting stories too. And such rare shots! Rebecca Caine in rehearsal, Maria Kesselman on stage, Sarah Brightman backstage, Steve Barton in all shapes and versions (he-he)...

But the actual quality, not so much. Cheap paper and a b/w xerox quality to the photos. The author seems to have been aware of this, as he presented it as "a catalogue", not a book:

"This publication is intended primarily as a catalogue for the high quality prints available from the author. However, this comprehensive catalogue together with its insight as to how the photographs were taken, is itself a valuable archive in one publication" (from the backside)

The intention was that people could browse through it and find pictures they'd like to order in glossy, good quality. I suspect he called it a sales catalogue to avoid trouble with the RUG (although it appears he got in trouble with them after all, cause volume two "The first year backstage, costumes etc" never saw they day of light). But I guess it was also a way of keeping the costs down, as he seems to have been his own publisher.

Is it worth getting? I would definitely say yes. But don't expect a George Perry book.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 am

I really like this book, for the most part. Operafantomet pretty much covered the major points, but I'd like to add two small things that annoy me--firstly, there are quite a few pages devoted to unessential, un-Phantom-related (as far as costumes, on stage) stuff, such as shots of Peter Bishop (I think) from the waist down in jeans Question
Also, as much as I love Rebecca Caine, I was disappointed that Tylor chose to include scene-by-scene on stage photos with her, rather than Brightman. There weren't all that many photos of Brightman actually, and none of her on stage.

But it is DEFINITELY worth getting. LOTS of really rare angles, and cast and crew, although the lighting in some is less than desirable. I paid twice as much as I was quoted for my copy, but it is treasured nonetheless Smile
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:56 am

MlleMusique wrote:I really like this book, for the most part. Operafantomet pretty much covered the major points, but I'd like to add two small things that annoy me--firstly, there are quite a few pages devoted to unessential, un-Phantom-related (as far as costumes, on stage) stuff, such as shots of Peter Bishop (I think) from the waist down in jeans Question
That's definitely an oddity... I think the reason why they're in there, is because it's of Peter Bishop and Steve Barton (they're both in those jeans photos). The whole catalogue seems to be a tribute to Barton, so the various anecdotes and side tracks are all somehow related to him.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I agree that the book is quite lovely to have. I, for one, don't really mind that there are some non-costume type shots because it's always interesting to see what people are doing behind the scenes when they're not in show-readiness mode. I do mind that some of the photos (like a full length MC shot) are flipped and printed centerfold-style with the book crease chopping it in two. There are some interesting anecdotes in the text. I really do wish though that the 'costumes' followup book to this had been released, though. I've tried contacting Marcus about it a couple times but I've never gotten a response, so I don't know if RUG pounced on him or if he just decided sales of the first book weren't good enough.

Either way, if you want to see a lot of rare and interesting photos - buy the book.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 pm

The half naked shots of Steve Barton are hilarious (but extremely hot to me).

Not to mention, if you like Maria Kesselman's Christine, there are some GORGEOUS rooftop shots of her. So very pretty.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 pm

I got it today! Love it! The pics are so amazing!
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 am

Glad you liked it! The pictures really are fantastic, so eerie and funny and... everything.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down